Follow our progress ...

Apricot WheatApricot Wheat

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Our smooth wheat beer is light in color and body…perfect for those looking for a lighter taste. The combination of wheat and barley gives Apricot Wheat a different malt character than our other ales. The hint of apricot gives this beer a pleasant nose and fruity finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001

Reviews: 263 | Ratings: 829
Reviews by Gambrinus1184:
2.64/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a SA pint glass.

A: Pours a very light, golden yellow color with almost no head. Slightly hazy, and no real carbonation to be seen.

S: Smell is definitely of apricot. No hops at all, or other spices. Just that sweet apricot smell.

T: Sweet apricot, somewhat syrupy. No other strong malt or hop flavors. The fruit is a little dull, buttery even. Has a somewhat unpleasant aftertaste.

M: This fruit/veg. is light-medium bodied, which might please some, but I wouldn't drink this for its richness anyway. Whenever I think it's crisp, which it is, I can't call it refreshing.

D: I was good to try one and call it a day with this brew. I don't know if I'm not an apricot fan, but I'm certainly not a fan of this Ithica offering.

If it were an apricot I wanted, I'd think twice before getting this again. Particularly if there were a Dogfish Head Aprihop Wheat or Seadog Apricot available.

3.27/5  rDev +0.9%

The only non macro or big import served at the bar at Belhurst Castle so I gave it a try even though not a huge fan of apricot brews,poures a somewhat hazy straw with no head to speak of poured two bottles and no head in either looked flat.A big canned apricot aroma going on (like a few others noted) with some toasted graininess,taste is like sweeteded apricots and and toasted malt even more of the latter in the finish and aftertaste,went down quite easy.Not bad for an apricot ale have had better I let my wife normally drink these.

2.69/5  rDev -17%

I like apricots. I like wheat beer. I figured I'd like this beer. I didn't, really.

Poured a sunset gold hue with minimal head that was quick to fizzle out. Smells sweeter than I expected. I guess I was expecting something a little more subtle, like my old pal Numero Nueve. This beer, however, had a strong syrupy smell and taste. I could drink a couple of these on a hot summer day if they were really cold, but I wouldn't otherwise choose this beer again. The syrupy mouthfeel is reminiscent of Wachusett's blueberry ale, which I find to be revolting. The wheat beer foundation in this guy is solid enough that the syruposity is somewhat masked, but overall it's just not a very balanced beer.

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

3.19/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.17/5  rDev -2.2%

12 ounce bottle, no freshness dating, pry off cap, new graphics. Pours a dull, semi cloudy light golden/apricot. Nose is perfumy, fruity and sweet. Apricot present, in the flavor profile, but its sort of candied in nature...tastes too sweet, and not all that natural, and also a bit watery in the mid section. Expensive lawn mower beer, at best

2.12/5  rDev -34.6%

poured into my new SA glass from a 12oz brown long neck bottle with a crimped on cap

Slightly hazy,yellowy golden color with a thin white head not good for a wheat. Constaint streams of small bubbles rising from the center of the glass, but no stringing.

Musty, apricot smell,yeasty and perfumy.

Syrupy apricot taste,candy-like,grainy with a bitter apricot aftertaste after the finish.

Light,very grainy,very rough for what should be a light beer. Feels like cough syrup in the mouth. Not a beer i would want to drink again.

3.59/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz bottle pulled from the fridge poured into a hefe glass. best before FEB notched on the label.

pours out a golden slight yellow color, just a touch cloudy with a one finger of creamy white head that faded to a 1/8 inch retentive layer. no lacing to speak of.

the aroma is almost all apricot, kind of putrid artificial smelling.

again lots of artificial apricot, bits of wheat as an after thought. like another reviewer mentioned, it tastes rotted, not very appealing.

light body, assertive carbonation. harsh tasting finish.

its easily drinkable, but not for me, i wouldnt want another. i could not recommend this, too one dimensional and artificial. kind of a shame because ithaca usually brings it.

3.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours golden orange tinted with a slight haze bright white head fades rather quickly. Aromatics have a nice earthy almost nutty apricot pit like note, mild citrus background with sharp wheat. Flavor has American wheat with apricot extract written all over it, decent fruit beer my mom and my wife both dig this one alot more than I do. Again that earthy apricot pit shows up in the finish almost as a lingering bitterness to replace the low hop additions I guess. Mouthfeel is light bodied sturdy carbonation nothing to write home about overall drinkability, I'm sure this one is going down much smoother in the summer months.

2.16/5  rDev -33.3%