Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Apricot Wheat - Ithaca Beer Company

Apricot WheatApricot Wheat

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001

Our smooth wheat beer is light in color and body…perfect for those looking for a lighter taste. The combination of wheat and barley gives Apricot Wheat a different malt character than our other ales. The hint of apricot gives this beer a pleasant nose and fruity finish.
4.88/5  rDev +51.1%

My favorite beer! Nice and smooth. Great apricot taste. It actually tastes like real apricots and not an extract. I get this whenever it comes out, wish they did more cases of just this. Its always in the sampler but rarely alone. The smell is absent of hops, all apricot which I like. Would reccomend to anyone!

4.64/5  rDev +43.7%

This was such an easy drinking beer. I've had it both in the bottle on tap at bars, and on tap at the brewery - on tap is better, but both are good. The Apricot is so distinct on both the nose and while drinking. On the nose, it's unmistakable, it smells sweet, florally, mixed with a bit of honey. In the mouth however, you just get Apricot - none of the sweetness that you would imagine from such a big nose. Don't think this is one of those sickly sweet fruit beers. This is just wheat, with a kick in the head of pure apricot.

4.57/5  rDev +41.5%

First discovered this beer at a NY TAP festival. It was my first fruit beer I would say, and has since lead me to try a few others. As I am not a fan of drinking alcohol while eating food (it's usually one or the other, aside from Buffalo wings and football spectator foods), I found this beer to be very drinkable in that instance. It competes well with juice and soda and is by far is my favorite peach/apricot inspired beer.

4.42/5  rDev +36.8%

If you like apricots then this is the beer for you.
Even if you don't like apricots this might be the beer for you.
Extremely fruity and refreshing over all.
Very much like bubbly fruit juice; this is one of those beers that you hand to someone that claims "I don't like beer".
Light and bubbly; the wheat plays its role well in keeping this brew from being too much like candy (though it is on the candy side of the spectrum).
I found this to be insanely drinkable... the only thing that takes away from the drinkability a bit is the effect the sweetness has on the mouthfeel after a bit.
This is, of course, as I review as it stands by itself.
Next time around I'll drink this while having a slice of pizza or a burger (times when I often drink soda). My scores will probably be bumped up from there.
A 5 in enjoyability.

4.39/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is another beer that is a graded a bit too harsh. It says Apricot Wheat...that's what it tastes like...

This is also one fo the most drinkable beers ever. It is very light and you could get through 6 before you even know what you are doing. Great aroma, smells exactly how it tastes.

4.33/5  rDev +34.1%

Boy did this six pack disappear quickly. This beer is fabulous- and I don't even like apricots. I picked it up on a whim though, figuring why not? It's hot out, I need something light. And it was.

Tastes delicious- apricots, some other fruits- raspberry and orange, mostly. Tastes like fruit juice- but it's spiked. I think I could turn any self-proclaimed beer hater into a beer lover with this beer. It just tastes deliciously fruity. It also feels great- lots of bubbles, nice crisp finish. Crazy drinkability- I've never emptied my glass that quickly. A delicious, very drinkable beer. Fellows, this one will turn your girls into beer drinkers. Trust me.

4.32/5  rDev +33.7%

Purchased as a variety pack from Westy's in Mechanicsburg, PA.

S- could definitely tell it was an apricot wheat. It heightened my sense of smell. I love ap-wheat brews.

T-very tasty and wheaty.

D- Love the beer and def worth a six pack or case.

Overall i enjoyed the beer and apricot wheats are one of the few fruity type beers that i will drink.

4.24/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm a major sucker for fruit beer, so I had to try this one. It was my first time at a local bar, and I was waiting for my aunt and uncle to meet me after work, so I ordered this beer with my fries. It was sweet but not too much so- in other words, you could definitely still taste the beer in it. There was a perfect blend of sweetness and yet a tiny bite to it. It was very smooth and amazing when ice cold! If I came across it again I'd definitely go for a second taste.

4.21/5  rDev +30.3%

appearance - orange yellow color with some head but then disolved to a ring. Not much carbination. Some lacing for the first 15 minutes but then non after that.

smell - apricot, peach, wheat noticable.

taste - Low apricot taste, not a sweet beer, nice balanced. Not overwelming.

mouthfeel - Low carbination, crisp feel, light body.

drinkability -I like some fruit beers but never tried an apricot beer. BA list well more then a dozen. Great summer beer. I did enjoy this, I picked up a 12 mixed pack.

4.2/5  rDev +30%

[This bottle is a little old, so give it leeway--left it at school during winter break. My bad.]
Straw color with only wisps and miniscus for a head. Very small-bubbled carbonation, looks a little lackluster in that regard. But the most notable aspect of this beer by far is its powerful scent. It positively reeks of its namesake apricot, as well as other generally thick, sweet, bready, sunflower-seed scents. Very unusual and interesting.

Taste is a little flat. That apricot is strong, as well as a smooth maltiness. A little grapefruit and a lot of peach, some general esthers, some cloying...something...raspberry? The wheat side is somewhat muted, though the hops seem to provide a good backdrop for the other tastes. Orange and orange cream, that's what was cloying!

A pretty fun beer. Definitely worth a try based on its strong fruit character, but it's not wildly complex. Well suited to vary one's drinks during a night of continuous consumption, especially with its light and smooth texture and peppy drinkability.

4.2/5  rDev +30%

A- hazy golden yellow, big puffy white head with an apricot-ish yellow tint to it. foam is full of wheaty protein and retains itself well. good sticky lace on a nice clean glass as well.

S- pleasant apricot/plum aroma reminds me of gummy penguins i used to get as a kid. not much else there but apricot and a bit of white bread and some sandalwood, but it's still nice. ok some floral notes come out as the beer opens up, more akin to orange blossoms or honeysuckle.

T- fresh bread flavor with mild apricot on the backside and a bit of creaminess. actually, as it finishes, there is alot of heavy cream type flavor which of course goes great with the apricot. quite good because the apricot flavor doesn't overwhelm, instead it provides a nice fruity tartness to compliment the wheat flavor. taste is very fresh. finishes clean and soft, minimal bitterness, and lingering plum skin aftertaste.

MF- good creamy feeling, somewhat plush, but still very crisp and snappy thanks to medium level carbonation. becomes a little filmy on the cheeks the same way orange juice is.

D- i was expecting a nice mild refreshing thirst quenching beer for this june heat wave and that's what i got. i even ordered it on tap for my bar after i blow this keg of allagash wit. a great summer beer, easy drinking and smooth and as far as fruit beers go, apricot and wheat are a perfect match IMHO. i could go for about 5 more of these.

4.17/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Yellow with slight haze. Large, white, fizzy head that quickly dissipates. Significant rising bubbles remain well after pour.

S - Soft, slightly tart apricot. Clearly present but not overwhelming. Some slight malt sweetness.

T - Very nice, soft apricot flavor intermingled with wheaty malts that lingers slightly. Little to no hop character present.

F - Highly carbonated/fizzy.

O - This beer is excellent for what it is. It does not try to overwhelm your palate. It is very well-balanced and refreshing, especially on a summer's day.

4.16/5  rDev +28.8%

I have no idea why this beer only has a C+. Over the past three years, it's become one of my summer go-to brews. So in the interest of Beer Advocacy, I thought I'd throw my review out there.

Pours a golden yellow, slightly hazy but clearer than you'd expect from a wheat beer. Decent one-finger head that reduces quickly with little lacing.

Smells...awesome. Literally like bread and apricot jam, but not cloying. Just fresh.

Tastes great, frankly. The fruit is up front, but is not overpowering. Balances nicely with a light bready malt, with a hint of hops on the back end.

Mouthfeel is good, probably a little more carbonation than one would expect, but goes down light.

This is very drinkable...on a hot day, I could go through a couple of these at a cookout. And your typical cookout foods go very well with this one.

Seriously...this beer is underrated. Give it a go this summer.

4.16/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I like this beer. I thinks it's dope. Ain't care what youse all thinks. Beer be tastin mighty fine to me. Peaze it. NahImSayin. building the street credit is what Robbie P says. Do what you gotta do. Get it... Kryzzl be liking it too. Das it gurl. Joel says f that bs.

4.12/5  rDev +27.6%

Purchased a bottle at the Brews Bros in Mt Lebanon

Smell: Let's face it, it smells like apricots. Not my favorite fruit by any means...but still good.

Taste is rather good for a fruit beer. I always try them (fruit beers), never like them...This one isn't that bad. I could definitely throw these down on a hot summer day. Tangy, malty, not too much apricot. Not too sweet by any means. Very drinkable.

Let's face it. It is a fruit beer. Not in my top 300, but it would do on a summer day. Much better than the usual Miller Lite, and the usual summer beers from Saranac, Sam Adams. etc...also much better than the new Lemonade beers....

I was surprised. Not too shabby.

4.12/5  rDev +27.6%

As far as wheat beers go, this is lacking in many of the more familiar esters of banana and clove. Additionally, this beer is not very cloudy at all -- I think of it more as a blonde/amber ale with a wheat back. Hops are minimal, but there, a bit of Tett spiciness and crispness at the end of the sip. Apricots are definately there, not shy, but not overpowering. The amount of apricot puree I taste here is indicitave of what I feel a fruit beer should be, in terms of fruit strength.

I enjoy this on late summer evenings with friends. Even non-beer drinkers will enjoy this, and it's a very good choice to convert macro drinkers with.

Not for every day, but definately a sweeter summer favorite.

4.08/5  rDev +26.3%

A. Poured a cloudy straw with a white frothy two finger head, some lacing on the glass.

S. Apricot, citrus grass

T. Lightly apricot flasvored still can taste the wheat, not much in the hops department, but I like the flavor.

M. Medium bodied, fizzy carbonation, mnedium duration

O. Taste just like apricot wheat beer, imagine that.

4.07/5  rDev +26%

Grabbed a 6er in bottles because I haven't had one in a while and wanted to embrace a beautiful spring day.
Appearance is fine. Delicate orange glow hut practically no head.
Smell is pretty delicious. I have a little sweet tooth and this has true apricot notes.
Taste is hood but nothing exceptional. Fruit up front with a slightly grainy wheat finish. A bit on the side of a sour.
Mouthfeel is least appealing aspect. Not thick enough and finishes a but too tart and biting on the tongue.
Overall good but doesn't hold a tee to a DFH Aprihop. Would like to try this right after a Magic Hat #9 to compare.

4.04/5  rDev +25.1%

Well for girls that don't like beer this is their beer because it tastes likes a fruit drink. But the thing is I am not a girl! So here is the review. Had a 12 ounce bottle of this that poured a nice golden-orange color. The smell is great, and of apricots. The taste is really sweet, and well...apricotty. The wheat end is a little dissapointing though.
Moderate mouthfeel, crisp, and a little sticky with lots of bubbles. Insanely drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Yellow, very slightly hazy. Small amount of medium-sized bubbles form the head.

Smell: Apricot! No, seriously. Hardcore apricots. I hope it doesn't taste too sweet, but I am digging the smell.

Taste: Tastes like carbonated apricot juice. Tart, which keeps it a bit refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium carbonation. Easy to drink.

Overall: If it's what you like, they knocked it out of the park. Not too sweet, with real apricot flavor. Would enjoy this one again.

4.01/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Pours a pretty golden color with a frothy 4 inch head which dissipated fairly quickly. The color almost reminds me of apple juice.

Scent - Smells of dried apricot and alcohol. I might be detecting a faint metallic scent as well.

Taste - The apricot flavor is fairly up front, I get a bit of apple in the flavor too. The metallic scent slightly carries over into the flavor but not so much as to make it unpleasant. A slight sweetness. The finish brings fourth the wheat beer flavor.

Mouthfeel - A little dryer than I would have liked. It has a medium body that does not linger terribly long on the tongue. The carbonation is not overdone, which is good because it would probably detract from this beers more subtle flavors.

Overall - It's light, slightly fruity and has a low ABV. It would be a nice summer beer or maybe beach beer while chilling. I like it but I don't love it. Still, I've never had an apricot beer before so I am pretty pleased with what I've found in this one.

Poured into a wheat glass. Nice cloudy straw complexion with a fluffy three finger head. Good head retention and lacing.

The smell was very pleasant - a nice subtle apricot aroma with a hint of spice.

The taste was also a nice subtle apricot. There was also a nice spice finish.

The mouthfeel was very pleasant. Nice and light.

A very drinkable fruit beer. A perfect light summer drink.

3.97/5  rDev +22.9%

C: Light Golden Color. A bit hazy like a standard wheat beer.
S: Sweet. Honey. Apricots. Honey dew. Other fruity tones.
T: Mild sourness. Light and watery, but not in a bad way. Medium Carbonation. The mild sour taste gets a little old. Crisp and clean taste.

3.97/5  rDev +22.9%

A – Color is golden and transparent, with a fluffy white head (which receded pretty quickly.)

S – A delicious fruity scent dominated by the apricots, with a hint of hoppiness.

T – Crisp and fruity up front with some wheat flavors coming in at the end. Somewhat sour.

M – A light on the mouthfeel and very carbonated.

O – A refreshing beer with a nice fruity flavor without being too sweet.

3.97/5  rDev +22.9%

12oz bottle served in a weizen glass.

L - clear copper color with a white head that thins to a ring.

S - apricots with some wheat in the background.

T - lots of tart apricot flavor blended in with light malted wheat finishing on the tart side with sweetness on the lips.

F - light/medium bodied, crisp and refreshing.

O - I enjoyed this one and I will have it again.

Apricot Wheat from Ithaca Beer Company