Apricot Wheat - Ithaca Beer Company

Apricot WheatApricot Wheat

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001)

1.05/5  rDev -67.7%

This beer pours a pale clear yellow with no head or lace. There's a good bit of fizz. The aroma is a small amount of apricot and something else strange. The flavor has an apricot tang but a strange sourness and funk. The mouthfeel is light and very sticky. Ithaca apricot Wheat is not a good beer, there was a sticker on the bottle that said "sample not for resale". Not recommended!

1.25/5  rDev -61.5%

1.4/5  rDev -56.9%

Blechhkk... this is pretty nasty stuff. I was glad to see something somewhat local out here in Western New York for the summer and jumped at the chance to pick up a mixed 12 of Ithica. 4 different beers. 3 were really good, and I was sort of skeptical about this one, and I was right. It pretty much sucks. Pours a yellowy fizzy mess. And I'm talking soda fizzy, not your average beer carbonation. Smells like soda too, sugary and fruity, way too fruity, not a nice subtle hint like in some fruit beers. Oh god... after another few sips I have to drop that taste down to a 1. And I hate to do it, because their other beers are great, but this deserves a bashing. Tastes like straight up juice or soda, hardly any recognizable beer qualities. No hops. I'm sure there's malt in there (and hops too, I guess?) but there's no character shining through. I don't think I can finish this... and I NEVER pour a beer down the drain... until now.

1.48/5  rDev -54.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Look: pours out bright gold. There's no head on this one and it looks kind of flat. Some sediment pours from the bottom and forms a spiral at the top of the beer rather than getting mixed in, so there's no haze which is weird for a wheat beer. No lace.

Smell: smells like apricots, wheat and acid. This might be the first beer I've ever smelled and then had to recoil from the glass. Very unpleasant smell. I remarked to my girlfriend that it smells almost like vomit and she agreed.

Taste: follows the nose nicely... or lets just say it follows the nose. Apricots, wheat and stomach acid are the flavors I get. Its just way too sweet.

Feel: its flat as it looks, tangy and too sweet.

Drink: I couldnt finish the glass. My girlfriend couldn't drink it either.

Overall, this was a downright terrible beer. I'm struggling to find anything nice to say about it so I won't. I thought maybe I had an off bottle, but from reading the other reviews I am starting to think that's not so. I would avoid this like a leper.

Ithaca, you are much better than this. I'm disappointed in you. This beer has done everything in its power to win my one and only grade of F.

1.53/5  rDev -52.9%

Had this at a bar that holds itself out as a beer-lover's dream. It was clearly run by people who don't know anything about beer.

This pours into a pint glass and looks like a pale ale. It's nice.

This has a strong floral bouquet. It's way too much like walking into a florist. It's, frankly, gross.

Tastes how it smells--like Sen-Sen mints.

The body is a little light, but not terrible. Can't make up for this beer's flaws though.

Overall, I'd not try this again. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

1.75/5  rDev -46.2%

Appearance was gold, clear, no head, and fizzy. Almost looked like champagne.
Aroma was actually real good. Sweet apricot, granny smith apple, almost like a desert wine.
Taste was wretched. I grabbed a couple of bottles an tried them so if they were skunked, it was various sixers that were bad. There was no real apricot taste, and no sweetness. It tasted like hay but not in the good wheat beer sense, more like dirty hay thats been under the budweiser clydsedales.
Mouthfeel was thin and carbonated.
Drinkability...well this is the second beer in my long list that I've actually had to pour out.

1.8/5  rDev -44.6%

served from the tap in a English pint glass. Very little if any head to start and no retention what so ever. Clear amber orange color.

Smell was not impressive. No detectible flavors other than slight malt note.

Taste was not at all what i was expecting... I could not stand to drink more than three tastes... I didn't taste any apricot or wheat... more like spicy... old... something.

Mouth-feel was like water

overall i respect the brewery for trying to make a good fruit wheat beer but in my opinion i just couldn't down it... not going to try it again to say the least. Going to have to find another Ithaca beer seeing this is the only one i have ever tried or seen.

Makes me wonder if this was a bad batch or something....

1.83/5  rDev -43.7%

I've had this beer before--I think as part of a mix pack. I wasn't impressed then, but I don't remember it being quite as bad as this time.

A: Clear, light, orangey/amber--looks like a pale ale with very little head.

S: It's kind of a sickening sweetness. The bottle says it's brewed with natural apricot flavor, but it tastes and smells artificial.

T: It's not really a fruity sweetness. The aftertaste is apricot, but not refreshing.

D: Not very drinkable. It's low alcohol, but it just doesn't taste good. Maybe it's better in summer when it's hot.

1.88/5  rDev -42.2%

*12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.*

a: this brew looks fantastic. it's golden in color and slightly hazy in appearance. it has a ton of head and retains it well. good lacing.

s: the smell is all apricots and carbonation. nothing subtle about it.

t: it tastes like apricot-flavored seltzer water.

m: lots of carbonation, light-bodied, slightly astringent.

d: for me personally, this is not a very drinkable beer. my wife loves it, though. to each his own.

1.96/5  rDev -39.7%

1.98/5  rDev -39.1%

To be fair I tried this one after the January "Best By" date by less than two weeks although I doubt if that would make that much difference. The beer poured light gold with a thin white head that didn't stick around long enough to barely notice. There's some obvious carbonation in the clear body. The nose is all apricot, overpoweringly so, yet not entirely unpleasant. The taste is also overpoweringly apricot with a slight bitterness of hops and an off taste of something rotten around the sides and back of the tongue that isn't noticeable if you swallow it REAL FAST. That of course makes the mouthfeel real difficult to discern as you pound it down to avoid the atertaste of rotting fruit and make it real difficult imagining that another round of this brew would be enticing. Pity too, as I always liked apricots.

Apricot Wheat from Ithaca Beer Company