Apricot Wheat - Ithaca Beer Company

Apricot WheatApricot Wheat

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001)
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Bright gold with lemonade trim. The bone white crown is respectable in all ways that matter (size, texture, persistence), but is really nothing special. A minimal rockiness appears as the foam melts and a thick collor of lace is the only glass garnish.

The nose is exactly as advertised. Apricot wheat smells like apricots and wheat. There are no off-aromas and I'm unable to appreciate the Cascade hops. The beer gets points for style accuracy, but it's little better than average in the grand scheme of things.

Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of American pale wheat ales and apricots and peaches are two of my least favorite fruits. That said, this one ain't half bad. Like the nose, it's simple and straightforward with no nastiness creeping in at the edges.

An untoasted wheaty tanginess holds down the bottom end, while 'natural apricot flavor' provides the top notes. Of course the tartness could be coming from the fruit or from 'sour malt', whatever that is. A modest amount of sweetness and a clean finish mean increased drinkability... if one likes the flavor profile. Interestingly, the beer seems sweeter during the final few swallows.

The mouthfeel is pretty much where is ought to be given the style. It's closer to light than to medium, never quite reaching watery on the swallow, and the carbonation is zesty without being fizzy.

I've decided to cut Apricot Wheat some slack where scores are concerned since it's such a solid example of the style. Whether that style is worth drinking or not is up to you. I still don't like apricots.

08-04-2007 13:06:03 | More by BuckeyeNation
jcdiflorio

2.1/5  rDev -35.2%

poured into my new SA glass from a 12oz brown long neck bottle with a crimped on cap

Slightly hazy,yellowy golden color with a thin white head not good for a wheat. Constaint streams of small bubbles rising from the center of the glass, but no stringing.

Musty, apricot smell,yeasty and perfumy.

Syrupy apricot taste,candy-like,grainy with a bitter apricot aftertaste after the finish.

Light,very grainy,very rough for what should be a light beer. Feels like cough syrup in the mouth. Not a beer i would want to drink again.

07-22-2007 04:59:30 | More by jcdiflorio
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

I got this via beertruth as a bonus brew. A slight leak at the cap upon reciept but thankfully it did not detract from the brew.

A - Crystal clear golden straw color, quickly disappearing white head.
S - Apricots, a hint of vanilla and a wheat whiff way back there..
T - similar to the smell. Very clear taste of apricots.
M - light bodied, lightly carbonated. A touch watery at mid glass but a clean drinking brew.
D - I paired this up with a funky indian / cilantro themed salad. Went quite well.

No idea of the price but a different summer beer for the deck party.

07-19-2007 14:17:14 | More by barleywinebrewer
dmamiano

2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

Drank straight from the bottle, hence the average appearance.
This beer smelled strongly of apricots and nothing else.
At first taste, I was immediately turned off by the up front apricot flavor, but as I drank it, I t grew on me a bit.
OK mouthfeel, with really nothing standing out but the apricot.
I bit over the top for me, but its beer like this that helps us appreciate better beer.,

07-10-2007 15:41:29 | More by dmamiano
Billolick

3.15/5  rDev -2.8%

12 ounce bottle, no freshness dating, pry off cap, new graphics. Pours a dull, semi cloudy light golden/apricot. Nose is perfumy, fruity and sweet. Apricot present, in the flavor profile, but its sort of candied in nature...tastes too sweet, and not all that natural, and also a bit watery in the mid section. Expensive lawn mower beer, at best

07-10-2007 04:42:08 | More by Billolick
ZimZamZoom

2.3/5  rDev -29%

Medium straw color with a thin white head that fades quickly. It did not look promising to begin with as the bubbles that made up the head were large.

A light aroma of wheat malt behind a huge apricot smell. If there are hops in there I would not be able to tell with all the apricot going on. The apricot is not as strong in the taste. I wish it was though. There is no malt or hops evident in this beer. It really tastes like a BMC with some (but not enough) fruit extract added. Disappointing to say the least. I"m not a fan of fruit beers, but I can enjoy the occasional #9 or Aprihop.

Very thin in the mouth, and I would have to say not very drinkable. I will finish this one and pass the other two from the sampler on to someone else. I'm not even sure that the ladies would like this one. Maybe the BMC drinking ladies might find it interesting.

07-07-2007 22:42:58 | More by ZimZamZoom
tugdriver7

Maryland

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

Part of an Assortment 12-pack (4 different Ithaca brews) I picked-up at the Beer Zoo outside Hershey PA. I hadn't heard of Ithaca, but I bought it specifically to try the apricot. I was not disappointed. I'm not a huge "fruit beer" fan, but there's something about the way the apricot was used--like hops--to add a ctirus-like edge to balance the malt. Pale gold color, small head that stayed through a few sips; apricot in the nose with a mostly malt taste. Nicely done. Refreshing.

07-04-2007 04:13:37 | More by tugdriver7
yourunclewalt

3.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Just had this at friend's fire. Tastes a lot like an apricot yogurt; a domineering apricot start with a solid, wheaty finish. Very palatable. The middle-ground between a Magic Hat 9 and a Dogfish Head ApriHop. The mouthfeel is, as expected, thin but creamy with carbonation. I'd recommend this to anyone that enjoys a good apricot brew.

07-04-2007 04:01:24 | More by yourunclewalt
zdk9

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

This is a real fruit lovers beer. It would probably make a great conversion brew for someone into the sweet and fruity things. Despite everyone else's complaints about the overbearing sweetness of it I really enjoy this one.

A- Pours a slightly cloudy bright orange. One finger of quickly dissapearing head and no lacing.

S- Smell hits you with apricots and a touch of herbal tea essence.

T- This is all sweet and juicy fresh apricots in the front and grainy wheat malt in the back. Not really any hops bitterness (or even any hops aroma for that matter). The apricots are really the front player here with a flavor that blooms out of the malt and then melds back into it. The aftertaste again has some tealike flavor to it.

M- Light and easy going, though perhaps a touch too syrupy, and the carbination could be more pronounced.

D- I certainly wouldn't get tired of this, but some variety would be nice on the tongue.

05-17-2007 18:00:42 | More by zdk9
tempest

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

On-tap at Chuck's in Syracuse

Well, this on is basically light and tastes like apricot flavoring. Like it doesn't taste like an actual apricot, it taste like a high-fructose corn syrup-based apricot juice with a slight light barley background. Still inoffensive overall and easy to dink.

04-26-2007 01:48:37 | More by tempest
Marty

Maine

2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

I like apricots. I like wheat beer. I figured I'd like this beer. I didn't, really.

Poured a sunset gold hue with minimal head that was quick to fizzle out. Smells sweeter than I expected. I guess I was expecting something a little more subtle, like my old pal Numero Nueve. This beer, however, had a strong syrupy smell and taste. I could drink a couple of these on a hot summer day if they were really cold, but I wouldn't otherwise choose this beer again. The syrupy mouthfeel is reminiscent of Wachusett's blueberry ale, which I find to be revolting. The wheat beer foundation in this guy is solid enough that the syruposity is somewhat masked, but overall it's just not a very balanced beer.

04-25-2007 03:00:13 | More by Marty
auxiliary

4.25/5  rDev +31.2%

appearance - orange yellow color with some head but then disolved to a ring. Not much carbination. Some lacing for the first 15 minutes but then non after that.

smell - apricot, peach, wheat noticable.

taste - Low apricot taste, not a sweet beer, nice balanced. Not overwelming.

mouthfeel - Low carbination, crisp feel, light body.

drinkability -I like some fruit beers but never tried an apricot beer. BA list well more then a dozen. Great summer beer. I did enjoy this, I picked up a 12 mixed pack.

04-04-2007 22:27:38 | More by auxiliary
williamherbert

2.13/5  rDev -34.3%

[Note: I have tried this beer many times and tried to like it. I don't want to sound like I'm flat-out trashing this beer, because I like the rest of the Ithaca product, but I just can't drink it.]

Light golden color. Average head. Pretty clear. A bit darker than straw, but not by much.

The smell oversells the apricot. Instead of just a hint within the ale framework, it's a far too sweet blast of apricot. Smells like apricot juice, save for only a hint of weak malt. Also smells like apple juice.

Tastes like a fruit drink, not a beer. Any beer flavor is completely overpowered by the syrupy-sweet apricot flavor. Just doesn't hit my taste buds right. It's sour, and not in a good way.

Thick like a juice. Laves quite the sour/sweet aftertaste. This is really a beer for those who like wine coolers or fruit drinks. It's not for beer drinkers, in my opinion. Too bad they have to include three of these in the Ithaca 12-pack. It's a "girl drink" and it's hard to finish. I actually poured it out with about 1/3 left.

03-28-2007 03:39:06 | More by williamherbert
jbart

1.83/5  rDev -43.5%

I've had this beer before--I think as part of a mix pack. I wasn't impressed then, but I don't remember it being quite as bad as this time.

A: Clear, light, orangey/amber--looks like a pale ale with very little head.

S: It's kind of a sickening sweetness. The bottle says it's brewed with natural apricot flavor, but it tastes and smells artificial.

T: It's not really a fruity sweetness. The aftertaste is apricot, but not refreshing.

D: Not very drinkable. It's low alcohol, but it just doesn't taste good. Maybe it's better in summer when it's hot.

03-27-2007 02:51:35 | More by jbart
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.95/5  rDev -9%

Pours from 12oz bottle a hazy orange with a small head of foam that dissipated quickly leaving a fine ring around the glass.

The smell smells very much like apricot...imagine that!

The taste is a mix of semi sweet apricot and wheat but it's on the delicate side. A little more oomph with the apricots and this would be a very good taster...still, not a bad drop.

Thanks to Wasatch for this sample!

03-07-2007 23:57:12 | More by Bitterbill
rohrbachsfan

2.35/5  rDev -27.5%

Appearance: Clear light yellow. No head after it was poured.

Smell: Sweet apricots.

Taste: Beer is sweet and has very little bitterness to it. Strong apricot flavor that overpowers what little hops flavor there is.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy.

Drinkability: Seemed to be over carbonated and a little too sweet for my tastes. Apricot flavor was overpowering. Wouldn’t bother with this one again.

02-25-2007 00:21:17 | More by rohrbachsfan
shamrock7

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

This is a very light, crisp tasting beer. It’s easy on the pallet and goes down nicely. The mix of the apricot aroma and big fruity taste is sure to please those that go for the fruity beers. It won’t leave you full, but you will be satisfied.

I can see this one being a summer time favorite – it’ll definitely quench your thirst. It’s not for everyone, but if you’re in the mood for a wheat/fruit beer, give this one a try.

02-24-2007 22:32:07 | More by shamrock7
ohnoitsthefuzz

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured out of a bottle into a standard pint glass, this wheat ale left a thin fizzy head that dissapated quickly into a ring around the top. The smell was distinctly of apricots, with a little bit of the yeasty bread smell in the background, which was tough to pick up. The taste was very much of apricots, (as another reviewer noted, far more than Magic Hat #9, likely because of the inherent sweetness of wheat ales) and wheat, it really didn't get more complex than its own name! There was a yeasty characteristic to the aftertaste, but it was still mostly fruity. I could detect essentially no hops flavor, and thus no bitterness, but the beer somehow doesn't become overwhelmingly or cloyingly sweet, which I liked. Mouthfeel and drinkability were both great, and this beer screams "summer." Overall, a good choice if you want to pick up something for a picnic or BBQ, because its likely even your non-beer drinking friends will enjoy this.

02-19-2007 20:03:31 | More by ohnoitsthefuzz
Wasatch

Utah

Thanks stegmakk.

Pours a cloudy yellow color, nice carbonation, nice creamy two finger head which leaves quickly, little lacing afterwards. The nose is sweet malty, some hops, apricots, and wheat. The taste is sweet, lots of apricots, and grassy. Light body. Drinkable, a nice thirst quencher.

02-10-2007 20:09:33 | More by Wasatch
TheManiacalOne

2.35/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale yellow color with a large white head that fades instantly and leaves no lace on the glass.

S: As you would expect, the aroma is heavily fruity and sweet with apricot and apple. I really couldn’t pick up anything else in the smell.

T: Just like with the smell, the sweet fruity flavor of apricot dominates. There’s a faint wheat flavor in there and I think I caught the smallest amount of hops. Malt character is thin. The after-taste, of course is very sweet. It’s like fizzy-yellow-beer with mixed with apricot juice.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, heavy carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: I didn’t find it very tasty, but I’m not a big fan of the style. It’s an easy drinking beer and might able to turn someone off of a macro if they like the apricot flavor. Within the style, I’ve certainly had better. To compare it with a beer of the same fruit flavor, I did like it better than Magic Hat #9. However, this would be one of my last choices when buying beer.

02-08-2007 04:23:28 | More by TheManiacalOne
BeerTruth

Connecticut

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

If you enjoy fruit beers, this is surely one for you. This has even more apricot than Magic Hat #9. Pours a very clear golden color with powerful scent of apricot and peach with little head. Drinkability depends on if sweetness is your thing. People who enjoy mixed drinks will probably drink this for a beer...but someone who enjoys hops will avoid this beer. Definitely something to drink on a hot summer day though. Give it a try.

01-27-2007 03:24:34 | More by BeerTruth
Hefe

Maryland

2.48/5  rDev -23.5%

Bottle from a 12pk sampler picked up at Wegmans in Syracuse. Gold and slightly hazy with just a patchy white head. Woah! Smells like an apricot jolly rancher, or somesuch. Taste is the same, sweet, sweet apricot. No room for anything else. I'm sure there is a market for this beer, Just waaay out of balance. For those who want a beer based mixed drink.

01-16-2007 00:26:57 | More by Hefe
MrSeth

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%

Wafts of slightly skunky wheat and apricot come off the huge bubbly head, inviting nonetheless. It's a somewhat thin ale but with a big dried apricot payoff. There is none of that syrupy-sticky-overly sweet element that turns people off to fruit beers. It is however still on the dessert beer side of the spectrum due to the strength of the apricot in the profile. I would love to have one of these after any kind of dinner meal. A pre-night cap beer or warm up before bed.

12-24-2006 00:46:25 | More by MrSeth
Stimack

2.83/5  rDev -12.7%

Brew pours to a strange yellow orange color with a small white head that vanishes extremely quickly, and leaves no lacing what so ever. The aroma of this brew is of apricots and I think that is about it, but the apricot aroma is not that enticing, seems to be way over the top. The taste, thankfully, does not have as big of an apricot taste as I was expecting from the aroma but it certainly is the most noticeable aspect of this brew. I also notice a very watery feel to the brew, seems like it is very thin. I guess it is an ok brew, just not my cup of tea, felt it could be so much more.

10-30-2006 02:29:02 | More by Stimack
TrickKnee

Connecticut

2.78/5  rDev -14.2%

Only called Apricot wheat now with a nice orange yellow label. Was really not impressed with this beer whatsoever. I like apricots i.e. #9 and others, however this was very blah. A very pale yellow color. Had a very wheat taste to the beer, almost like drinking a loaf of bread, was not a big fan. Had a very decent apricot flavor in the end though and some decent apricot smell. Not one of my favorites, worth it to try if you get the ithaca mixed case, but wouldnt buy a 6 pack.

10-14-2006 19:18:57 | More by TrickKnee