Apricot Wheat - Ithaca Beer Company

Apricot WheatApricot Wheat

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001)
3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Poured a hazy golden color with a thin white head no real lacing

S - Well lots of apricot

T - And more apricot here with sweet malt

M - A good amount of carbonation not too much

D - Fruit beers aren't my favorite but this on is pretty easy to drink

armock, Nov 25, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a pale golden apricot color with a finger thick of white fizzy head that actually tends to stick around nicely. Some slight sediment seen around the top edge of the glass as well, with just some slight haze to the body.

Aroma is quite mild. Some apricot aroma comes through, along with some slight citrus aromas of orange peel maybe. I also get the wheat on the nose, but this isn't too special.

Flavor is quite mild. A bit of vanilla hits my palate at first, with a weak wave of the apricot coming through that is not too overpoweringly sweet. Quite watery and basic. Nothign to write much about.

Very mild body. Crisp and easy to drink. Carbonation is nicely balanced, but the body is quite watery. This would make a nice drinker if I were swinging a hammer on a roof, but honestly, this is a very weak brew.

Fish113d, Nov 11, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a clean pale yellow with a white head. Aromas of sweet apricots, very big nose. In the taste, kind of sugary and a dry apricot flavor. A smooth and sweet mouthfeel, with a dry apricot aftertaste. Big flavor of apricot and a nice dryness to it. A bit too sugary, but it fits in this beer.

OWSLEY069, Nov 04, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -9%

A - Typical goldenrod hue as one would expect from a wheat beer

S - Fruity. The apricot is prevalent.

T - Holy Apricot Batman!! If you like apricots, this won't disappoint. Not overpowering, but if you read the label, you know what to expect.

M - Quite carbonated despite the whole hefe appearance. Very pleasant. Teh mouthfeel to me was the best aspect of this beer.

D - Very drinkable and inviting. Very enjoyable.

Although the apricot flavor can be powerful, its a very nice beer. I can see myself drinking several. I liked the beer overall, but I personally prefer a darker beer. I have sampled the 3 main Ithaca Beers and this ranks #2 out of 3.

RocPorterFanatic, Nov 02, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Clear straw with a puny, wispy head.

S - Yep, those are apricots alright, followed by a chalkiness.

T/M - Light. A touch buttery, and a distinct apricot impression. On the dry side I would say, finishing with a characteristic wheatiness. Apricot flavour is not as pronounced as the aroma was.

D - As advertised. It's apricot, it's wheat. Dunno what more to say about it. Light, refreshing, and pretty straightforward.

allergictomacros, Oct 11, 2007
3.43/5  rDev +5.9%

Obtained from some friends who traveled to Ithaca. Good thing I love apricot.

APPEARANCE: Pours a crystal clear golden amber with a vague orange hue. The head is completely non-existent. This is the complete opposite of what I'd expect from a wheat beer. I don't get it.

SMELL: The aroma is decidedly apricot with a fine but not intrusive malty background. It doesn't seem necessarily wheaty though - just non-descript.

TASTE: The apricot in the flavor is much more subdued and seems very extract-like. And it still doesn't taste like wheat. The malt base is decent though and some background hops complete a nice balance. Oddly some orange and lemon comes out in the finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Thin body with an average carbonation level.

DRINKABILITY: The odd citrus character to this beer is off-putting. Plus the watery thinness and extracty apricot lower this one down quite a bit.

I'm a sucker for apricot, so I wouldn't mind having this again... as long as I don't have to pay for it. Otherwise, there's a lot better out there.

jmalex, Sep 21, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a SA pint glass.

A: Pours a very light, golden yellow color with almost no head. Slightly hazy, and no real carbonation to be seen.

S: Smell is definitely of apricot. No hops at all, or other spices. Just that sweet apricot smell.

T: Sweet apricot, somewhat syrupy. No other strong malt or hop flavors. The fruit is a little dull, buttery even. Has a somewhat unpleasant aftertaste.

M: This fruit/veg. is light-medium bodied, which might please some, but I wouldn't drink this for its richness anyway. Whenever I think it's crisp, which it is, I can't call it refreshing.

D: I was good to try one and call it a day with this brew. I don't know if I'm not an apricot fan, but I'm certainly not a fan of this Ithica offering.

If it were an apricot I wanted, I'd think twice before getting this again. Particularly if there were a Dogfish Head Aprihop Wheat or Seadog Apricot available.

Gambrinus1184, Sep 09, 2007
3.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Nothing impressive looks wise here, a little deeper in color than an average macro lager. Smell was apricot (duh) and not much else. From the smell (which i must say was very pleasing ), i expected to be drinking apricot juice but it wasn't as dominating as one would think. It was actually balanced out pretty well with an earthy taste on the tongue. I wouldn't go out of my way for this but it is a good option at a picnic and I expect it would do well with the ladies. Decent.

ohoove, Sep 01, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

I enjoy apricot beers. This is a good example but my favorite is still from McAuslan. Pours with a bubbly whit head that quickly disappears, no lacing. Has a hazy yellow color.

A wonderful aroma of apricots hits the nose followed by some sweet wheaty malt.

The taste is similar to the nose. Very pronounced apricot notes with a clean wheat finish. Another great summer brew from Ithaca Beer Co.

irishkyle21, Aug 28, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +8%

Bright gold with lemonade trim. The bone white crown is respectable in all ways that matter (size, texture, persistence), but is really nothing special. A minimal rockiness appears as the foam melts and a thick collor of lace is the only glass garnish.

The nose is exactly as advertised. Apricot wheat smells like apricots and wheat. There are no off-aromas and I'm unable to appreciate the Cascade hops. The beer gets points for style accuracy, but it's little better than average in the grand scheme of things.

Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of American pale wheat ales and apricots and peaches are two of my least favorite fruits. That said, this one ain't half bad. Like the nose, it's simple and straightforward with no nastiness creeping in at the edges.

An untoasted wheaty tanginess holds down the bottom end, while 'natural apricot flavor' provides the top notes. Of course the tartness could be coming from the fruit or from 'sour malt', whatever that is. A modest amount of sweetness and a clean finish mean increased drinkability... if one likes the flavor profile. Interestingly, the beer seems sweeter during the final few swallows.

The mouthfeel is pretty much where is ought to be given the style. It's closer to light than to medium, never quite reaching watery on the swallow, and the carbonation is zesty without being fizzy.

I've decided to cut Apricot Wheat some slack where scores are concerned since it's such a solid example of the style. Whether that style is worth drinking or not is up to you. I still don't like apricots.

BuckeyeNation, Aug 04, 2007
2.1/5  rDev -35.2%

poured into my new SA glass from a 12oz brown long neck bottle with a crimped on cap

Slightly hazy,yellowy golden color with a thin white head not good for a wheat. Constaint streams of small bubbles rising from the center of the glass, but no stringing.

Musty, apricot smell,yeasty and perfumy.

Syrupy apricot taste,candy-like,grainy with a bitter apricot aftertaste after the finish.

Light,very grainy,very rough for what should be a light beer. Feels like cough syrup in the mouth. Not a beer i would want to drink again.

jcdiflorio, Jul 22, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

I got this via beertruth as a bonus brew. A slight leak at the cap upon reciept but thankfully it did not detract from the brew.

A - Crystal clear golden straw color, quickly disappearing white head.
S - Apricots, a hint of vanilla and a wheat whiff way back there..
T - similar to the smell. Very clear taste of apricots.
M - light bodied, lightly carbonated. A touch watery at mid glass but a clean drinking brew.
D - I paired this up with a funky indian / cilantro themed salad. Went quite well.

No idea of the price but a different summer beer for the deck party.

barleywinebrewer, Jul 19, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

Drank straight from the bottle, hence the average appearance.
This beer smelled strongly of apricots and nothing else.
At first taste, I was immediately turned off by the up front apricot flavor, but as I drank it, I t grew on me a bit.
OK mouthfeel, with really nothing standing out but the apricot.
I bit over the top for me, but its beer like this that helps us appreciate better beer.,

dmamiano, Jul 10, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -2.8%

12 ounce bottle, no freshness dating, pry off cap, new graphics. Pours a dull, semi cloudy light golden/apricot. Nose is perfumy, fruity and sweet. Apricot present, in the flavor profile, but its sort of candied in nature...tastes too sweet, and not all that natural, and also a bit watery in the mid section. Expensive lawn mower beer, at best

Billolick, Jul 10, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -29%

Medium straw color with a thin white head that fades quickly. It did not look promising to begin with as the bubbles that made up the head were large.

A light aroma of wheat malt behind a huge apricot smell. If there are hops in there I would not be able to tell with all the apricot going on. The apricot is not as strong in the taste. I wish it was though. There is no malt or hops evident in this beer. It really tastes like a BMC with some (but not enough) fruit extract added. Disappointing to say the least. I"m not a fan of fruit beers, but I can enjoy the occasional #9 or Aprihop.

Very thin in the mouth, and I would have to say not very drinkable. I will finish this one and pass the other two from the sampler on to someone else. I'm not even sure that the ladies would like this one. Maybe the BMC drinking ladies might find it interesting.

ZimZamZoom, Jul 07, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

Part of an Assortment 12-pack (4 different Ithaca brews) I picked-up at the Beer Zoo outside Hershey PA. I hadn't heard of Ithaca, but I bought it specifically to try the apricot. I was not disappointed. I'm not a huge "fruit beer" fan, but there's something about the way the apricot was used--like hops--to add a ctirus-like edge to balance the malt. Pale gold color, small head that stayed through a few sips; apricot in the nose with a mostly malt taste. Nicely done. Refreshing.

tugdriver7, Jul 04, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Just had this at friend's fire. Tastes a lot like an apricot yogurt; a domineering apricot start with a solid, wheaty finish. Very palatable. The middle-ground between a Magic Hat 9 and a Dogfish Head ApriHop. The mouthfeel is, as expected, thin but creamy with carbonation. I'd recommend this to anyone that enjoys a good apricot brew.

yourunclewalt, Jul 04, 2007
3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

This is a real fruit lovers beer. It would probably make a great conversion brew for someone into the sweet and fruity things. Despite everyone else's complaints about the overbearing sweetness of it I really enjoy this one.

A- Pours a slightly cloudy bright orange. One finger of quickly dissapearing head and no lacing.

S- Smell hits you with apricots and a touch of herbal tea essence.

T- This is all sweet and juicy fresh apricots in the front and grainy wheat malt in the back. Not really any hops bitterness (or even any hops aroma for that matter). The apricots are really the front player here with a flavor that blooms out of the malt and then melds back into it. The aftertaste again has some tealike flavor to it.

M- Light and easy going, though perhaps a touch too syrupy, and the carbination could be more pronounced.

D- I certainly wouldn't get tired of this, but some variety would be nice on the tongue.

zdk9, May 17, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

On-tap at Chuck's in Syracuse

Well, this on is basically light and tastes like apricot flavoring. Like it doesn't taste like an actual apricot, it taste like a high-fructose corn syrup-based apricot juice with a slight light barley background. Still inoffensive overall and easy to dink.

tempest, Apr 26, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

I like apricots. I like wheat beer. I figured I'd like this beer. I didn't, really.

Poured a sunset gold hue with minimal head that was quick to fizzle out. Smells sweeter than I expected. I guess I was expecting something a little more subtle, like my old pal Numero Nueve. This beer, however, had a strong syrupy smell and taste. I could drink a couple of these on a hot summer day if they were really cold, but I wouldn't otherwise choose this beer again. The syrupy mouthfeel is reminiscent of Wachusett's blueberry ale, which I find to be revolting. The wheat beer foundation in this guy is solid enough that the syruposity is somewhat masked, but overall it's just not a very balanced beer.

Marty, Apr 25, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +31.2%

appearance - orange yellow color with some head but then disolved to a ring. Not much carbination. Some lacing for the first 15 minutes but then non after that.

smell - apricot, peach, wheat noticable.

taste - Low apricot taste, not a sweet beer, nice balanced. Not overwelming.

mouthfeel - Low carbination, crisp feel, light body.

drinkability -I like some fruit beers but never tried an apricot beer. BA list well more then a dozen. Great summer beer. I did enjoy this, I picked up a 12 mixed pack.

auxiliary, Apr 04, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -34.3%

[Note: I have tried this beer many times and tried to like it. I don't want to sound like I'm flat-out trashing this beer, because I like the rest of the Ithaca product, but I just can't drink it.]

Light golden color. Average head. Pretty clear. A bit darker than straw, but not by much.

The smell oversells the apricot. Instead of just a hint within the ale framework, it's a far too sweet blast of apricot. Smells like apricot juice, save for only a hint of weak malt. Also smells like apple juice.

Tastes like a fruit drink, not a beer. Any beer flavor is completely overpowered by the syrupy-sweet apricot flavor. Just doesn't hit my taste buds right. It's sour, and not in a good way.

Thick like a juice. Laves quite the sour/sweet aftertaste. This is really a beer for those who like wine coolers or fruit drinks. It's not for beer drinkers, in my opinion. Too bad they have to include three of these in the Ithaca 12-pack. It's a "girl drink" and it's hard to finish. I actually poured it out with about 1/3 left.

williamherbert, Mar 28, 2007
1.83/5  rDev -43.5%

I've had this beer before--I think as part of a mix pack. I wasn't impressed then, but I don't remember it being quite as bad as this time.

A: Clear, light, orangey/amber--looks like a pale ale with very little head.

S: It's kind of a sickening sweetness. The bottle says it's brewed with natural apricot flavor, but it tastes and smells artificial.

T: It's not really a fruity sweetness. The aftertaste is apricot, but not refreshing.

D: Not very drinkable. It's low alcohol, but it just doesn't taste good. Maybe it's better in summer when it's hot.

jbart, Mar 27, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -9%

Pours from 12oz bottle a hazy orange with a small head of foam that dissipated quickly leaving a fine ring around the glass.

The smell smells very much like apricot...imagine that!

The taste is a mix of semi sweet apricot and wheat but it's on the delicate side. A little more oomph with the apricots and this would be a very good taster...still, not a bad drop.

Thanks to Wasatch for this sample!

Bitterbill, Mar 07, 2007
2.35/5  rDev -27.5%

Appearance: Clear light yellow. No head after it was poured.

Smell: Sweet apricots.

Taste: Beer is sweet and has very little bitterness to it. Strong apricot flavor that overpowers what little hops flavor there is.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy.

Drinkability: Seemed to be over carbonated and a little too sweet for my tastes. Apricot flavor was overpowering. Wouldn’t bother with this one again.

rohrbachsfan, Feb 25, 2007