Apricot Wheat - Ithaca Beer Company

Apricot WheatApricot Wheat

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001)
2.03/5  rDev -37.5%

Best by June notched on bottle:

Pours light golden with a big, bubbly white head. Carbonation vigorously rushes to the top. The head doesn't last, becoming broken bubbles. A little lacing sticks.

The smell is like apricot fruit juice with a lemon wedge. It is identifiable as apricot, though in that ariticial juice/syrup way. The lemony tartness doesn't help at all.

The taste is of sweetened apricot - tastes like apricot soda with a lemony tartness and a hint of breadiness.

The feel is watery and fizzy. Aftertaste of cross between apricot "Fruit Roll-up" and apricot cough syrup lingers a bit.

The tartness, while mild, conflicts with an otherwise standard/typical American fruit pale wheat ale. I was almost able to finish it off, and suppose I could have - but didn't want to. Not something I would recommed, even to apricot lovers.

3.4/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Yellowish, opaque, translucent. Lighter than what I expected, lighter than most wheat beers I've seen even. Pours with a thick head, about three fingers from a fairly rough pour. White and fluffy head that quickly subsides to a thin layer, leaving spotty laces.

S - Right after popping the cap off I immediately smelt some apricot. Holding my nose and wafting made it even more evident. Thick apricot smell.

T - Taste isn't surprising, apricot. Very sweet, too sweet even. Very little hop bite to it. I didn't really taste much apricot in #9, but this definitely tastes like apricot. Leaves a slight sweetness in your mouth. Very refreshing. Lacking much of a bite and being a little too sweet on the tongue are the only bad things I can say about it. About halfway through the sweetness kind of settles in and leaves a weird taste on your mouth when you're not drinking. I'd recommend having this with a cup of water to cleanse your taste.

MF - I don't know what it is, but it tastes kind of grainy. Rather thick going through your mouth. Medium to full bodied.

D - I wouldn't recommend this for sessioning. Too sweet, but if you can see through that, go for it.

2.53/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ithaca Apricot Wheat...

Pours a solid gold amber color, heavy head, lacy and sticky, they serve it with fruit, out goes the fruit.

Smell-sweet, definitely fruity, alcohol, lots going on.

Taste/Mouthfeel-muddled and sticky sweet, the sweetness burns and doesn't feel balanced. Not enjoyable, there is fruit here but the sweetness overwhelms everything so the beer is not refreshing in spite of the fact that it's light.

Drinkability-not an enjoyable taste , if you find a way to like it you could drink many.

Overall-interesting flavor choice but too sweet and muddled for me. Credit for originality though.

4.15/5  rDev +27.7%

I have no idea why this beer only has a C+. Over the past three years, it's become one of my summer go-to brews. So in the interest of Beer Advocacy, I thought I'd throw my review out there.

Pours a golden yellow, slightly hazy but clearer than you'd expect from a wheat beer. Decent one-finger head that reduces quickly with little lacing.

Smells...awesome. Literally like bread and apricot jam, but not cloying. Just fresh.

Tastes great, frankly. The fruit is up front, but is not overpowering. Balances nicely with a light bready malt, with a hint of hops on the back end.

Mouthfeel is good, probably a little more carbonation than one would expect, but goes down light.

This is very drinkable...on a hot day, I could go through a couple of these at a cookout. And your typical cookout foods go very well with this one.

Seriously...this beer is underrated. Give it a go this summer.

3.4/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: This beer poured a cloudy golden yellow with a very small off white head. Plenty of carbonation bubbles. The head is gone in a flash along with very spotty lacing.

S: Big fruity apricot blast in the nose (pretty much expected that) along with wheat and cereal notes coming through.

T: Apricots take center stage here also, but to me it wasn't overpowering. I'm picking up the malt, and a little bit of tang from the hops.

M: Thin slick mouthfeel with quite a bit of burn from the carbonation.

D: Good drinkability. Quite refreshing and easy going down. This would be a good beer to quaff during the dog days of summer.

I thought this was better than some of the other fruited beers I've had. I wouldn't drink it all the time, but I think it will find it's way into my summer rotation.

3.1/5  rDev -4.6%

There's not much more to add to the previous reviewers comments. The beer pours a touch cloudy, well carbonated, golden color with a smallish head and no lacing. The nose is pretty strong apricot and there is a slightly musty, slightly burnt undefineable fruit aroma that seems a touch off. Overall, it's the apricot that predominates.

The taste is a touch watery and the slightly burnt and musty flavors in the nose make their way into the taste of the beer too. The apricot is less over the top in the taste but still present. This beer isn't all that good, and the burnt flavor is a turn off. The beer is light, pretty unidimensional, and a touch drying on the back side. This is a mediocre beer with no hops, and not much of anything besides burnt and musty flavored dried apricots.

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

Served in a tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - nice, slightly hazy orange. Thin, quickly dissipating head.

S - Smeels like Apricots. There's not much else on the nose, but the apricot smell is fresh and potent.

T - Tastes like slightly bitter apricot. Otherwise, standard yeast and hops on the palate. The only thing that stands out is the very upfront apricot taste.

M - The carbonation is a lot more biting than others, but otherwise it is very easy on the tongue.

D - This one's crazy drinkable. Enjoyable enough to drink but light enough to easily pound back a few more.

Overall - I got this bottle at the Foodery in Philly. If this were more available where I live in NY, I might consider it over #9 as a standby brew. Not groundbreaking, but nice and fruity. A great everyday beer.

4.4/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is another beer that is a graded a bit too harsh. It says Apricot Wheat...that's what it tastes like...

This is also one fo the most drinkable beers ever. It is very light and you could get through 6 before you even know what you are doing. Great aroma, smells exactly how it tastes.

3.13/5  rDev -3.7%

A cloudy almond tan color with a whispy white head and weak lacing. The aroma is a fairly subtle but sweet fruit, perfumey apricot with little else to distinguish it by my nose. The flavor is a pleasant but sweet apricot reasonably tempered by a drinkable wheat base. It's a bit whimpy in body even for the style, a bit dead, but not too bad. If comparing to Magic Hat I will take #9 as the livelier, more balanced apricot brew. Drinkable enough.

3.65/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Poured orange-yellow with one finger of while head, little retention but good lacing.
S: Fruit, extremely sweet.
T: As the bottle suggests, apricot, apple, peach, incredibly sweet, no hoppiness or bitterness.
M: Kind of watery.
D: I have to admit I usually hate beers that are intentionally fruit flavored and I initially tried this only for the sake of trying it as it was included in my sampler, but actually quite enjoyed this beer and I look forward to finishing the rest of them.

3.1/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Light golden brown with a thick white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Intensely fruity - apricots and apples, a bit like cider. Very interesting.

Taste: Unfortunately the interesting aroma gives over to a disappointing taste. Mild fruit and malt taste, a tiny bit of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: A bit dry, but pleasant aftertaste of dried apricot.

Drinkability: fairly drinkable.

Overall I thought that this beer was a letdown the intense aroma gave way to an average beer.

3.38/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a bottle into my Appalachian Brewing pint glass. Clear and fizzy with not much head retention or lacing. The smell was APRICOT MANIA with a distinct candied apricot scent. Way more than I expected in the smell department. This would probably be a good chick beer. Easy to drink but a little too much apricot.

2.35/5  rDev -27.7%

This beer is a very clear, sparkling straw color with a small white head that vanishes right away. It smells like dried apricots. It is very light-bodied, crisp and quite carbonated. The flavor seems a bit watered down. It's mostly of apricot but a funky cardboard aftertaste emerges which ends up having more presence than the main flavor. This isn't really my thing. Stick to the Cascazilla from these guys.
(rated Mar 5, 2007)

3.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Lightly clouded amber/orange color. Poured a thin 1 finger head that dissipated. Laced in thin inconsistent rings. Decanted contiunally.

S: Pretty much apricot; grains and grass were well in the background. I have to say it was a pleasing scent though.

T: The "fuzzy" tart/bitter flavor of apricot is very prominent maksing most everything else.

M: Light side of medium body. Ample carbnoation. It was not too sweet on my palate.

D: I really liked the first 3/4. The last fourth, I fouind myself in need of a hop bomb. Might be the weetness, might be the lack of complexity. I liked it, I'd recommend to try it...just don't know if I could (or would want) to kick back a few.

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Initially had this in a tasting at the brewery and then picked up a bottle in a mixed-six to get further acquainted with it.

A: Brilliant yellow, quite bright... in the sample, it was almost glowing. The glass is foggier, and shows a more hazy side of things.

S: I find the aroma to be quite nice, with a pleasing apricot scent. Granted, it's a little one-sided, with the wheat aromas and hops all but hidden... there's a bit of a perfume-like scent there, but none of it is really negative.

T: Like with the aroma, the fruity apricot flavour is a little overwhelming - good, but a little big. Kinda like drinking a bag of bulk, dried apricots. This tends to be a fruit flavour I appreciate in a beer, so it goes over alright.

M + D: Starts out feeling rather crisp, finishes a touch sticky... I'd be more than happy to enjoy it on a sunny summer day, though, even though I'll admit it would be more of an after-lunch dessert type choice.

2.73/5  rDev -16%

i was excited about this beer. i love me some apricot. another one from duqtroops secret Halloween bif.

pours a light gold. almost seems to glow. not sure if thats a good sign. a slight one finger head appears at the pour but fizzles out almost instantly. no lacing whatsoever.

smell is watery and thin. some apricot. but not as much as i would like. smells more like apricot flavoring rather than using real apricot. meh.

taste is sub par. some fake apricot. followed by nothing. not really any taste to mention.

mouthfeel is thin and watery. under carbonated.

this isnt a great beer, but its not terrible either. looking at my numbers its not getting anything over a c. but its still worth a shot if you want to try something different.

3.33/5  rDev +2.5%

A kind of bland wheat beer. The apricot flavor isn't overbearing and is mixed in well which is good, but could use a little bit more of a flavor kick. It's drinkable, but then again so is water. There's much better fruit/wheat's out there.. and this brewery has much better options too.

3.2/5  rDev -1.5%

Color of, you guessed it, apricot, although a little lighter. Head was up and down in the blink of an eye.

Smell is, you guessed it, apricot. And quite convincingly at that.

Taste is, you guessed it, pineapple. Just kidding, it tasted like apricot. Like lightly carbonated apricot juice. I hope there's some alcohol in here. Tryin to relax.

Not a lot to talk about because wham bam thank you ma'am, it's gone.

Overall: uh, apricot beer. 'nuff said

2.85/5  rDev -12.3%

12oz bottle received from israel. Thanks, man! Poured into my Stone pint glass

A: Mostly clear light orange with a thin white head.

S: Over the top with apricots here. So strong, it's almost difficult to take a deep breath of this. Somewhat artificial and cheap perfume-like.

T/M: Hideously over the top apricot flavor that dominates the palate before a mild, dry and crisp finish comes through. Not very good. Carbonation is ok but jesus christ, man, hold back on that apricot! I think I get some citrus behind it all but I can't be too sure here

D: Not impressed, I doubt i'll try this again

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint

A bright, clear golden straw body with a tight bone white cap. Smalle bubbles find their way north. Little to no lacing and no retention.

Sweet, candied apricots, earthy dryness, hay and wheat.

Taste mimics the smell. A sweet burst up front, followed by a dry, bittering wheat body. The apricots come and go with each sip. Nicely done.

Light bodied, adequately carbonated. Crisp and refrshing.

Very sessionable, flavor profile is good, but not great, preventing a slightly higher score in this category.

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

I'm surprised at the lack of love for this fruit beer because I think its actually quite well made. Golden body with a small white head. Fresh burst of apricot and grain in the aroma. Relatively straightforward apricot and wheat flavour, but well demarcated and crisp. Refreshing carbonation and a relatively light beer. Not something you would drink in the middle of a snowstorm, but a good summer brew.

3.03/5  rDev -6.8%

I got this in the Ithaca Beer Company variety case from Bryn Mawr Beverage in Bryn Mawr, Pa and poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: A huge white head, fluffy, transparent body yet cloudy light gold, nice lacing and good retention.
Smell: Strong apricot aroma, not much depth.
Taste: Watery, apricot, no depth at all.
Mouthfeel: Very rigid.
Drinkability: Good.
Don't drink and review.

2.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance- It has a nice cloudy gold color to the body. The head and lace both disappear quickly.

Smell- There is a pleasing fruity candy aroma that rises up from this beer as soon as it poured.

Taste- It is sort of sweet and sour. It has a strong apricot taste that is a little bit earthy.

Mouthfeel- Light but a little sticky.

Drinkability- Average for the most part not something I would drink all the time.

2.98/5  rDev -8.3%

To be fair, I have not dappled with the fruit/vegetable genre too often, I think this is my 3rd one, so maybe I just don't 'get' this genre yet.

A: A yellowish orange color, maybe gold is a more appropriate name. A carbonated white foam head. Some light carbonation throughout.

S: The apricot scent overpowered anything else I could decipher. There were some hints of grass/wheat as well.

T: Seemed a rather tart or bitter apricot flavor. Really overpowering. Not much wheat or other malt flavorings.

M: It was too sweet on my palate. Not enough carbonation either, in my opinion.

D: I really did not enjoy this beer. I think maybe I don't enjoy this style of beer thus I am biased. I probably would not have it again unless I developed an appreciation of fruit beers.

3.58/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Copper/Orange, very little head.

S: Fresh fruit smell with little hint of much else.

T: Very light and smooth taste. Almost drinks like a flavored cider. Just a hint of apricot and a hint of a watered down, filtered wheat bear.

M: Refreshing and leaves a slightly syrupy texture.

D: Very drinkable but is not for beer drinkers...more someone who likes a light variety and is looking to enjoy a nice dessert.

Apricot Wheat from Ithaca Beer Company