Cascazilla - Ithaca Beer Company

CascazillaCascazilla

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: shippos on 07-14-2004)
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured a clear red color with moderate slightly off-white head. Attractive lacing displayed.
Smell is full of hops, hops, and more hops. Close your eyes and you are in a pine forest.
Taste is hops, hops, and more hops. Close your eyes and you are eating a pine tree. Just enough malt to give a bit of balance, but this beer is all about hops.
Finish is dry and bitter, but a bit more of the malt comes through as the beer warms.
A very nice enjoyable beer.

tgbljb, Mar 03, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Cascazilla is a good name for this beer because of it’s monstrous taste. A great blend of tastes. It’s a a red ale with a hoopy middle and a caramel finish. It’s pours nicely and has a dark reddish/brown color. Just looking at it you know it’s going to be good. I’ve had it both in a bottle and on tap and I would recommend either.

shamrock7, Feb 24, 2007

Poured clear, amber, and brown with a medium tan head. The head gives way to silky, sticky lacings.

HUGE, sweet malt in the nose. There are some citrus, hop notes along with some sweet dough and spiciness. However, the malt overshadows these scents.

Again, the taste is dominated by a large malt backbone with ample amounts of caramel. Orange peel, spicy pepper and citrus greet a moderate hop bitterness. The finish is slightly sweet and fruity. While this is somewhat out of balance and a disappointment if you were looking for insane hops, I think the flavor works.

EDIT: As this glass warms, the hop bitterness really starts to shine through the malt. I made the mistake of drinking this straight out of the fridge. My second bottle warmed for a good hour on the counter and was far more balanced with a more predominate, citrus, hop bitterness.

Full bodied with a slightly viscous mouthfeel, this is a very drinkable brew.

Again, not the hop monster that it advertises itself to be but a solid beer none-the-less.

Estarrio, Feb 20, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Ap: Carbonation clings to the glass when poured. Pours an old gold/amber color. Not as red as most red ales I've sampled. Head thick when poured but falls back to a thin layer. Looks very carbonated.

Ar: Strong malty aroma stands out with some hops present in the nose. Sour cherries, cotton candy. Aroma very faint...

Ta: Wow! Hops are dominant here without being overwhelming. Not overly bitter. Hoppy, malty middle. Bitterness fades in the finish.

Mo: Light to medium bodied. High carbonation lends crisp feel. Clean & refreshing on the palette.

Dr: Highly drinkable. Very easy & smooth going down. A few would be a cinch....

Comments: The bottle describes this as a "monstously hoppy red ale". That is right on the money. This has been the best red ale I've tried to date. Very good! Bold flavors in perfect balance. Only downside is the lack of aroma.

JMD71, Feb 16, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

So this bottle was in a mixed six in the back of the beer cage at work when I took over the beer buying...the six pack was labeled samples....It had at least been there for eight months because I remember seeing it when I started at the store back in august.

Pours a hazy murky amber brown color with lots of bubbles...ruby red tints around the curves of the glass, a huge tan colored head that overflowed out of my mug. Sticky ringy, thick lace all around the mug...overall a beautiful beer.

Spicy, herbal, dank, hoppy and some caramel to back it up...cascade hops are present as well as some others...spiced in the way that a nice ipa picks up spice.

Nice big hops in the beginning and the middle of the body, but the beer finishes out with a nice caramel slightly sweet finish. Great for the winter the spicy hops in the front of the sip definitely give this beer a unique complexity....extremely well balanced. I can only imagine how good this thing is when its fresh.

Medium bodied tongue coating, bubbly, and refreshing...overall an excellent brew even with some age on it...hopefully I can find some more of these....I will be looking into Ithaca Beer for my store, and am now even more excited about my trip to Ithaca next month.

jameaterblues, Feb 14, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright copper color with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is hoppy and sweet, with the sweetness being that of citrus along with some caramelized malt in the background.

T: A nice burst of hops comes out first and is quickly balanced by the fruity citrus sweetness and decent malt character. Even though the hops presence is strong, it fades after you swallow and leaves a sweet after-taste, which is one of the few characteristics that make this beer different from an IPA.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not very filling, there’s a good kick to it, this beer has all of the qualities that make it a good one to stick with for the duration of an evening.

TheManiacalOne, Feb 01, 2007

Pours a nice copper, with a red hue. Thin head,good retention,and lacing was very good. Smell is malty, but yet has an earthy hop sent as well. Body is medium with some carbionation. Taste is very much like an IPA. Malt, but with a good balance of citrus hops. This beer was put in a six pack of partly sunny I bought in July! I'm glad I finally got around to trying it!

riversider76, Jan 30, 2007

This was on tap as well at Red's in Seneca Falls. If you're expecting a normal red ale, you're in for a surprise. This brew has a very generous amount of hops which makes it almost like an IPA. Color is a golden red with a foamy off -white head. Smell is hoppy/citrusy. Taste is bitter due to the hops with some sweetness as well due to the caramel malt. Definitely a unique ale, give this one a try.

BeerTruth, Jan 28, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

I originally bought this beer for the bottle not expecting much, but I was pleasantly suprised throughout the tasting.

Poured chilled from a bottle into a pint glass it pours a copper color with ruby tint. A two-finger high frothy head sits atop of the body. After sustaining itself for a few minutes, the head leaves behind a clingy white surface layer with soem lacing on the glass. Aroma is mostly of hops on my nose first but followed by some slight fruity malts and a hint of toasted almonds. Sweet caramel hits my tastebuds first with a resin-hop flavor following that helps balance out the sweetness of the caramel. Maybe some slight fruit in there, but nothing to really write home about. Although this beer was rather sweet, a constant bitterness "lays in the weeds" and sneaks in throughout helping the balance. Without it, it'd be too sweet really. Mouthfeel is solid for the style. Prickly carbonation, as expected hits my tongue with a medium body. Maybe a bit of alcohol detected as well. Drinkability is solid, and it IS a tasty brew, but it may be just a bit too sweet drink more than a bottle or two. With a little more "Zilla" (hops) this one would balance better and be a ridiculously drinkable brew. Still, try it. I'm glad the beer matched the bottle.

Fish113d, Jan 23, 2007

Thanks to oldirtysurfer for this bottle.

A nice reddish orange and little head. The smell is hoppy and there is a slight cinnamon touch as well. The taste is bitter and there is a hoppy aftertaste that last a while. The mouthfeel is smooth and the hoppinsee makes this beer a pleasure to consume. If this beer was more readily available, I would bring it home more often. The abv also shows itself a little bit.

Enola, Jan 18, 2007

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Coppery-red with a 1-finger, fluffy khaki-colored head. Some rings of lacing left behind as I worked my way down the glass.

S: To my nose, nothin' but Cascade hops -- florally and citrus-fruity hops.

T: A sweet caramel malty taste sets the tone underneath, but sweet, fruity, oily hops prevail. There's a nice dry finish, however, which is a bit surprising given the oily hops and slick feel. Good hop burps abound. Nice balance all around.

M: Slick and oily, but also creamy. Light-to-moderate bodyweight.

D: Very good. Nice balance of flavors but with hops dominating in the end. Just as I like it.

Kendo, Jan 01, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I'm not a big Red Ale fan, but when it's rediculously hopped...I'm all over it! The taste is pretty smooth, with a great hopped character. It's not bitter at all, which is always a good thing. Overall it's a great beer with a great taste. If you like hoppy, this is for you.

Will46andbrew, Dec 27, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

This is the hoppiest red ale that I've ever tasted. I love the malt/hop balance. If you are expecting a Killians Red, you'll be shocked by Cascazilla. It's a nice crisp beer that smells as good as it tastes. I have rarely seen it on tap, it's mostly found in bottles/cases. I have tried nearly every Ithaca beer made, and this is my favorite. I wish it was easier to find in Massachusetts.

JimFalzone, Dec 27, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Dark copper colored body, big off-white head.

Smell: Hops are rich, sweet, and medicinal. Lots of piney hops to go around.

Taste: Rich and hoppy, but not the most bitter beer in the world. Lots of aroma and flavor, but not as intense as you would expect., much truer to the style than I was anticipating. I like the big use of hops while executiing the style.

Drinkability: I like it, and if it were distributed here, would make it a regular. Very sessionable.

TastyTaste, Dec 21, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

pours reddish amber color with a one finger tan head that fades fairly quickly with a fair lacing to the finish. honey fruity hoppy smell. taste is caramel honey bready with hoppy ending. mouthfeel is medium and smooth with the hop lingering on. nice beer i would put it on my buy list.

billybob, Dec 13, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a dark red clear with bubbles cascading leaving a thick tan head. The aroma is strong floural hops, honey, grapefruit, grassy earthy notes. The taste is very smooth, the perfect combination of malty red ale hopped up to give it that nice bite. This is a fantastic combo featuring honey, low carbonation, citrus, toffee, and makes it session quality.

Franchise, Dec 12, 2006

Take the maltiness of a good red ale and mix it with the bite of hops. I dig the concept. This beer pours a deep copper color with a medium-large ammount of tan head that stuck around for a while, leaving a tiny bit of lace on the glass interior. Aroma is deep, brassy and malty. This beer is hoppy, and I like it!

Marty, Dec 10, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz bottle.

Got this brought back for me from New York. I've been looking forward to trying it. I could smell the hops as soon as I popped the cap off. Poured an amazingly crystal clear amber. A 1+ finger micro bubble off white head sits on top that fades slowly to a very respectable coating. Minimal web-like lacing.

Like I said before I could smell this as soon as it was opened. After the pour I took a couple deep breaths of Cascazilla and I got hints floral hops but mostly citrus. There is a strong candy like caramel malt presence in there too. The deeper I smell more I can almost detect a dampness.

The taste is really nice. The strong caramel presence is in the taste as well. There is a nicely balanced hop presence. The caramel maltiness starts thinks off a little faint but I'm quickly hit by a BIG hop and malt kick in the taste buds by mid-palate. Fineshes with the same flavors but more subdued. The hops leave the smallest amount of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is nice. It has a solid medium body. Good amount of carbonation opens up the flavors in the mouth and really livens things up. Slightly coating with some abuse from the hops.

This is a pretty easy drinker. There are big flavors but the alcohol is moderate. I could easily sit around and drink a few of these at a time.

Cascazilla is a damn fine beer. I wish I could get my hands on it around here cause I love big, hoppy reds. It would be a staple in the fridge if I could get it. If you're lucky enough to see this at the store pick it up and give it a try.

Slainte!

joe1510, Nov 14, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Finally decided to give this brew a try today, was I afraid of the CascaZilla? Nah, just for some reason have not had the Ithaca Brews in a long time. The brew poured to a rust color with a medium sized light tan head while leaving a nice amount of lace at the top of the glass. A fairly impressive looking brew. The aroma has a very enticing hop smell (citrus, grapefruit) that dominates but I am able to pick up a nice malt (toasted and caramel) scent in the background. The taste is actually quite smooth, for such a hoppy brew; actually the hop is not over the top but is clearly strong and dominant. Picking up a nice malt taste that has a sweet feel and goes well with the hops. With this being “a red ale” as highlighted on the bottle I guess I would expect to notice the malt a bit more and it is there. Over all this is a fantastic brew, not sure it lives up to its name as “CascaZilla” but is a great drink. One that I would grab at anytime!

Stimack, Oct 29, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer is awesome. As soon as I popped the top, me and my friend could smell the hoppy aroma. This is the best Red Ale I've ever had. Its smooth and well balanced, however, I couldn't taste any malts. There was also a fruity flavor that I couldn't figure out. Hell yea.

pgenius, Oct 11, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass from my Dinosaur BBQ growler.

A- 2 fingers of tan fizzy head. Crystal clear with very slight carbonation in a deep, saturated shade of reddish copper.

S- This smells AWESOME. So aromatic and rich. Sugary sweet in front of the hops. Citrus, grape, cherry...

T- Starts out round, full and sweet then disolves into a burst of mild hops. Undertones of sweet citrus throughout. It doesn't have that hop-bite, its a very well balanced beer.

D- Might be my favorite red ale... yup, it is...

Rudgers73, Oct 11, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured a nice dep orangey copper with a good head yet minimal to nonexistant lacing.
Aroma was subtle pine hops with a hint of roasted malt.
Taste was mostly grapefruit/pine hops. I couldnt taste any malt at all. While I do like my hoppy beers, was surprised this was listed as a red ale...as it was all hop all the time for taste...strong at that also.
Drinkability is low because while it tastes good, i fear two would numb the tastebuds with all the hops.

stegmakk, Sep 26, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +24%

I bought mine at the brewery, while visiting Ithaca--go there if you are near. Cascazilla has an immediately evident hops aroma, and taste, but is not bitter at all.

I've been comparing pale ales around the country, this past summer, and bought this for it's "monster dose of hops." Cascazilla has the hops and "nose" to compare to,say, Pyramid Brewery's "Thunderhead" IPA, but without the "dryness;" I think your sister would like it!

PJKSR02, Sep 18, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Received as an extra in a trade from bwyker...

This is a pretty high octane beer for an amber ale...

Pours with a smallish offwhite head, reduced to a thin layer that wants to hang around. Caramel, amber color with a bit of chill haze.

Pretty nice smell, nice and strong. Loaded with citrus and floral aromas. Citrus flavors are some grapefruit and some apricot hints. Sweet and kinda fruity overall. Attractive smell though.

Taste is interesting, quite balanced. A bit of sweet bread malts come out under the citrus and floral hops. A good dosing of grapefruit mainly, with some bitter citrus rinds. Quite bitter overall though, pretty good stuff. Seems to be missing a bit of complexity and the malts and hops don't blend too harmoniously.

Decent mouthfeel, medium bodied, low carbonation. I'd like a bit more carbonation to crisp this up a bit. Drinkability is good, fairly filling beer which limits how many I would have in a sitting, but good flavor and aroma would make me have one of these every now and then.

blitz134, Sep 14, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz bottle>pint glass.

Golden Amber in color, good activity, 2" white head dissipated slowly, leaving sparse lacing behind.

smells like fruity hops including grapes and a sweet smelling malt.

Taste...red grape, slight redwine flavor, deep and pretty complex for a red. This is a sweet hop at first, turns mildly bitter and is evened out well with the malt for a decent balance.

Medium body, very lively and crisp feeling. good bite on the tongue and very clean going down.

I was pleasantly suprised by this choice, a total darkhorse when I purchased it. Tasty and easy enough to drink.

GratefulBeerGuy, Sep 07, 2006