Gorges Smoked Porter - Ithaca Beer Company

New York, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: JackStraw22 on 02-05-2005

4.82/5  rDev +26.5%

My favorite porter. Not typical for the style - verry smokey...the taste makes me think of what smoke would taste like if it were congealed into a dark fruit. Alcohol is very well disguised...I could rattle off all the intricacies but suffice to say it is a must try if you enjoy porters, especially if you like smokey things, and is an amazing/unique example of the style. One of my favorite beers.

4.79/5  rDev +25.7%

pretty excited to try this brew from my favorite brewery. This should be one heckuva treat!

A- black as night with a nice mocha head that disappears to only leave a small trace of a head. Some lacing resides on the sides of the glass. A dark and impressive looking brew

S- Incredible! Before the glass can get to my nose.... I am walloped with a fire pit slap in the face! Smoked charcoal malt in the face with attributes of some dark fruit. Slight alcohol at the end but wow is this impressive!

T- DELICIOUS! Smokey dark malt flalvor that is enrobed as chocolate coffee tones. There is some sweet brown sugar throughout the tasting as well. Hands down, one of the best tastings I have ever had!

M- a good hearty brew that has both sweet and dark flavors all over. Very good

D- Ithaca has done it again for me. While I have never had this brew before, the graded properties, as well as the drinkability itself are so impressive. Even at 7.5%, I could probably polish off a sixer easily. Ithaca Beer Company's Gorges... the best smokefest in the east!

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

4.59/5  rDev +20.5%

On tap at Pony Bar in nyc, smokey and salty bringing out a unique complexity to a porter. For those who appreciate smoked fish and a salty beer this one hits the spot. I really enjoyed this and just wanted to say the latter to inform those who may not have the same taste appreciation. Wasn't sure of the drinkability but went for a second of this one as it grew on me and didn't know if I would find again on tap. Try this if you see it!

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

Smoked beers seem to be very divisive among beer drinkers... either you love them or you hate them, and there's little middle ground. I'm among those who truly love smoked beers, and the smokier the better... so, that being said, Gorges is now high on my list.

Pours deep dark walnut, with a thin tan head. Medium body, light carbonation. The beer starts with nice cocoa and roasted grain flavors leading into a big smokey middle, almost bacon-like, with roasted notes still coming through. Mineral notes on the finish meld with lingering smoke. And while I love Stone's Smoke Porter, a staple in my fridge whenever its warm enough to BBQ, I have now found a brew that surpasses it in both smokiness and depth of flavor.

4.41/5  rDev +15.7%

a: This was pretty close to black, at least in a dimly lit bar. It was served to me with a thick, long lasting, creamy white cap.

s: I found a very nice balance between smoke and rich chocolate with a little roasty coffee to boot.

t: I didn't taste anything that reminded me of a porter, this came across to me as more of a smoked stout. Works for me. This beer is dominated by plenty of smoke and lots of lightly sweet, dark chocolate. There was bitter smoke and coffee grounds at the finish.

m: Very chewy and creamy overall.

o: Just a stellar beer. We stopped in South Philly Tap Room to celebrate after watching the Phils win game 1 of the NLDS. After the first pint went down way to easy I handed my keys to my buddy and ordered another.

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had on tap at bukowski's in boston. Arrived in a 12oz tulip w a 1/2 finger of white head on top of a watery black brew. Hard to tell what i'm looking at in this dark bar, but I am psyched to try me some ithaca smo,ed porter! Smells awesome, like smoked bacon. Burnt porter. Awesome! Now for a taste. Wow the smokiness is even more intense. Not for faint of heart. Campfire madness over a pretty rich porter. Nit nearly as watery as I expected. Fantastic.brew.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours very dark brown with minimal tan head. Nice roasted and smoked nose. Flavor is thick malts. Definite roasted and smoked aspect there. Consistent flavor profile. Smooth liquid feel with a slightly biting carbonation. A nice porter to drink. Definitely worth trying.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

I had read past reviews of this beer and thought it might be a bit uninspriring but boy was I wrong.Poures adeep brown with tons of ruby tint thruout a tight but thinner almond colored head atop,the smoke presence is definently there in the nose but its just part of a wider picture somewhat fruity and nice earthy tones abound in the nose.Quite complex and multidimentional flavors starts out with hints of brown suagar and then a big hardwood smokiness takes over finishing into a dry "raw" earthy,nutty finish.Wow I for one loved this beer and rumors of a new recipe if true was the right decision cuzz this beer rocks!

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Thanks for this bottle goes out to Ithaca's only brute, Lum. Thanks Paul!

Pours a deep brown color with some ruby highlights. A nice off white head grows and lingers for quite some time. Nice n fluffy leaving good lacing.

Nose is roasted malt, some peat and smoke, almost a scotch ale nose. A touch of dark fruit in here, but not much.

Wow! A very smooth and flavorful smoked porter! Suprisingly drinkable. Taste profile starts off with some roasted malt and a good creaminess. Smoke and peat flavors arise through the middle and come to a peak towards the finish. A creamy layer of smoke lays all through the middle. Not the most aggressive smoke flavor, but plenty for what this beer needs. The finish has a tiny touch of bitterness, but not much. Smoke and roasted malt linger on in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is right about where it should be here. Often with smoked porters of this abv, you get a bit of thinness that offsets the smoke and makes things akward, but the viscosity here is just about right. Carbonation is solid.

Drinkability is really where this Smoked porter shines. A tough category quite often for the style, but this one makes it easy. Easy drinking without being wildly aggressive in the smoke department.

Overall a suprisingly good smoked porter from IBC. Smoked porter isn't a style I often have more than one of, but with this one that would certainly be possible. A very nice representation of the style, and a good drinkable take on it. Good beer yet again from the folks at IBC.

Edited 2-8-10:
What a difference five years makes. This beer has gone from really... well... bad, to remarkably good, and is now one of the better smoked beers I've had from a US brewer. Just a great combo of roastiness, rich dark chocolate, and smokiness, all without being too sweet or so big that you can't pound a few. Beautiful. Way to turn this beer around Ithaca.

Original review 11-8-05:
I love me some Ithaca Brewing Co., but I have to say they missed the mark on this one. The main detriment to this is a fruity cough-syrup like aroma and flavor that is barely complemented by some decent smoke character. Too much sweetness and not enough porter-like roastiness in the malt. The appearance and mouthfeel are just fine, but I wasn't able to finish this beer. Love the bottle design and the name, though.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a dark brown color with some red at the edges, and a creamy two fingers of tan head. Keeps a pretty full lace and leaves some splashes of stick on the way down.

This is really a nice porter nose, with aromas of roasted and toasty malts, some sweet caramel and a bit of chocolate, some lightly fruity hops, and as the name suggests, a nice smokiness.

Taste is primarily a roasted/toasted malt flavor with some smoky notes. There is some caramel sweetness there, too, but the roasty and smoky flavors are more prominent. There are more hops in the taste than there was in the smell, which lend some earthy and fruity flavor, and a bit of bitterness to go with the roasted and smoke flavors. It's really pretty tasty, and could be even smokier without losing drinkability.

This is medium bodied and has a pretty smooth feel to it. Finishes a touch on the chalky side, but still pretty clean overall.

I find this to be a highly drinkable, tasty porter, with quite a bit of flavor at a reasonable abv. If anything, I think it could be even smokier, but as it is it's quite good and definitely worth picking up.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into my pint glass a near opaque black with a 1/2 finger tanish head. Light barely penetrates around the edges and leaves a caramel/pale black glow.

Smell is a light campfire, think the one you just put out last night. Much less strong than the ones I've smelt before, though more pleasing. Some stale coffee notes also come through.

Taste is a little more of the same, smoky characteristic is less pronounced and you get some woody charcoal type of taste to it. Much to be expected, but slightly more muted than the other Rauchbiers I have had in the past. Much like the smell there is a little bit of stale coffee that comes through.

The mouthfeel is slightly oily. Finish is sort of a tangy bitterness that bites at the sides of your tongue.

Like many Rauchbiers, this isn't exactly something I would have every day. However, because it is more subdued and therefore less "in your face" I would probably throw two of these back at a barbecue with some nice roast pork shoulder.... mmmmh.

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured a bit of a weak head even with an aggressive pour. Dark Dark red/brown, almost black.

Smell vanilla, chocolate, BBQ, roasted malt.

Tastes not as smoky as some other smoked porters I have had, but still very good. Chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, and a smoky background. Smoked Porter, though not an official style, is my favorite kind of beer.

Mouth is thin/medium and carb is medium.

As for drinkability, I found this locally but haven't seen it since. Hope I can get some more as I start to move from trying everything to buying a select few greats.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a shaker pint: Good-lookin' brew! Deep, dark brown that you can round to black, with deep crimson highlights. Nice mocha head, two fingers, that rises above the rim of the glass like a souffle & glistens with tight bubbles. Leaves nice stretches of lacing.

Pleasant smokiness in the smell, like a flannel shirt after an evening around a campfire. A little peaty? I'm kind of getting that turfy, earthy smell. A little wet grass, a little cocoa. Pretty good, I keep going back for more.

Smoky & roasty malt up front, chased by a mild earthy hop character, a little cola. Finishes slightly acidic or astringent, with a smoky, fireside aftertaste. If anything, leaning a little on the bitterside with the roast, but that's searching for criticism. Very good.

Medium-bodied, pretty smooth at first but, like I said in the taste, a little acidic & astringent in the mouthfeel. Again, not bad, but not totally smooth.

This one's a winner. I'm kind of a sucker for smoke character, but have still found smoky beers that weren't really to my liking. This has a very fresh, evocative character & reminds me of sitting by a campfire or a stone fireplace. I'd definitely go for this one again.

Gorges Smoked Porter from Ithaca Beer Company