Gorges Smoked Porter - Ithaca Beer Company

Beer added by: JackStraw22 on 02-05-2005

« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Ratings: 196 | Reviews: 139
4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Just saw this at the brewery today, was told it just came out in the last week. Pours a dark brown/black body with an inch or so of light carmel head. Head retention was ok, no lacing, but that could've been the fault of the glass. Being a smoked beer, the aroma was dominated by a smoky smell. As the beer warmed, I could smell the malt more, and it really improved the aroma.

The mouthfeel is light, it's easy to drink. Quite sweet, with a great smoky flavor. I'd like some more hops or something to give it some more complexity, but it does taste very nice. Very drinkable, not overpowering or too robust. Glad to see this addition to the Ithaca Beer Co. lineup, I'll keep drinking!

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottle into SA glass

A- Very dark brown, almost black with an oatmeal head that pours to 1/2 inch.

S- A nice combo of sweetness and burn/smoke.

T-There is a burnt toast feel that I can not get past or enjoy. I have enjoyed smoked porters in the past, but this taste is not good for more than one beer for me.

M- Medium to heavy.

D- Not a beer for me. I am a big fan of this brewery, but this is the the one beer by them that I don't get. Maybe if I had it on tap, I would feel different.

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Dark brown with reddish hues; very thin head.

Interesting aroma; a bit sweet for a porter. Roasted malt, a bit of chocolate. Tastes a bit sweet too. Dry cocoa in the finish, along with a hint of smokiness.

Overall, a decent porter. Though there are better ones out there, like GL Edmund Fitzgerald, this one is still better than many of the thin and oversmoked offerings that clutter the market.

1.25/5  rDev -67.2%

After reading the other reviews, I wonder was it a bad case, or was I really drunk!!!! Unfortunately I was sober when I sipped this beer. I love smoked foods and beer, but this was like smelling the liquid smoke bottle that is for amateur's. The first sip put the bile from my stomach in my mouth. I thought it must be something else and took another drink.. More vomit, not good. This was a two sip drain poor and a good pranker for your friends. I shared this with many and found no one whom likes the taste of over smoked beer mixed with vomit. Either way stay away!!!!

Pored nice. That's all folks.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Had this beer at the brewery. It has a strong smoked aroma with a tan head. It is very dark in color with a slight effervencense. The smoke aroma reminds you of smoked bacon or pork. In the mouth it is thick with the effervencse cleansing the pallet. This allows the smoked and roasted malts to come to the forefront. After drinking this beer, I felt like I just finish eating at a smoke house.

3.62/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours deep dark brown, almost black. barely 1/8" head, dissipates quickly.

S- Smells like roasted and chocolate malts. a hint of smokiness.

T- nice roasted nutty flavor. very malty. not much smoke, just a pinch. slightly sweet. very faint hop bitterness, just a hint.

M- low to medium carbonation. body on the thin side. very smooth.

D- not bad at all, with a tad lower ABV, this would make a great session porter.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

A- pours dark brown to black with a nice tan head that fades to a nice lacing along with a thin layer on top.

S - smell is predominately roasted malts and more malts..

T- burnt malts with some sweetness in the finish; really nice for this style...

M- silky smooth with a bit of dryness in the finish; very little carbonation.

D- if you like smoked beers this one is very well balanced and worth a try if your able to get it.

Let warm up a while beofre I tasted it. Poured into a room temp pint glass.

Appearance: Creamy dense head, which dissipated quicker than I thought. Very dark.

Smell: Burnt sugar and coffee is what I smell right away.

Taste: A lot sweeter than what you would imagine from the smell. Main taste of coffee with some smokiness to it. Also has a brown sugary type sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth, low carbonation.

Drinkability: I really enjoy this beer, better out of a growler straight from the brewery but, this will do.

3.2/5  rDev -16%

12oz. bottle poured into my Victory Tulip

A: Very dark with little brown head

S: Smokey, roasted malt

T: Alot of smoke and not much else

M: Light feel, thin

D: Considering the price i would say this is a decent offering but not the best. I wouldnt turn this down and is worth a try to those who enjoy smokey porters

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into my pint glass a near opaque black with a 1/2 finger tanish head. Light barely penetrates around the edges and leaves a caramel/pale black glow.

Smell is a light campfire, think the one you just put out last night. Much less strong than the ones I've smelt before, though more pleasing. Some stale coffee notes also come through.

Taste is a little more of the same, smoky characteristic is less pronounced and you get some woody charcoal type of taste to it. Much to be expected, but slightly more muted than the other Rauchbiers I have had in the past. Much like the smell there is a little bit of stale coffee that comes through.

The mouthfeel is slightly oily. Finish is sort of a tangy bitterness that bites at the sides of your tongue.

Like many Rauchbiers, this isn't exactly something I would have every day. However, because it is more subdued and therefore less "in your face" I would probably throw two of these back at a barbecue with some nice roast pork shoulder.... mmmmh.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a DFH pint glass.

A - Pours a dark nut brown color with a thin light tan head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving no lacing around the glass.

S - Heavy aromas of roasted malt, caramelized sugars/molasses, smokiness (akin to a wood-burning fire) and hints of alcohol lurking in the background.

T - The heavy smokiness combines with the dark roasted malts, caramel, molasses and hints of dark roasted coffee notes for the initial wave. The second half of the sip consists of a twinge of hop notes mixed with alcohol and carbonation, leaving a thick and almost chewy finish on the drier side.

MF - Full-bodied with an average amount of carbonation. Chewy, thick and somewhat smooth.

D - Quite drinkable with respect to the ABV. A bit heavy on the stomach, and taste-wise I wouldn't want to have more than a few in one sitting (although the taste is quite good).

Notes: An interesting brew and my first foray into a smoked beer. This aspect adds an interesting twist on this pretty good American Porter. Overall, a likable brew that I'm glad I got the chance to try.

4.59/5  rDev +20.5%

On tap at Pony Bar in nyc, smokey and salty bringing out a unique complexity to a porter. For those who appreciate smoked fish and a salty beer this one hits the spot. I really enjoyed this and just wanted to say the latter to inform those who may not have the same taste appreciation. Wasn't sure of the drinkability but went for a second of this one as it grew on me and didn't know if I would find again on tap. Try this if you see it!

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

12oz bottle

The Gorges Smoked Porter has a dark brown color which you would expect. The tan colored head disappeared rather quickly and left no lacing behind. It smells like a camp fire and I didn't think it would taste good because of how strong the smoke smell was but the taste was outstanding. Very good beer that went down smoothly.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

(A) opaque, dark brown. very little head despite an aggressive pour but some lacing.

(S) "smoked" is not used metaphorically here. smells strongly of hickory and raisins.

(T) again, a very strong smokiness but not acrid. a slight malty sweetness balances the smoke and roasted flavors. very little hop presence. alcohol is not noticeable, 7.5%...seriously?

(M) mouthfeel is perfect for this beer. very little carbonation coupled with a appreciable thickness make this cool and smooth going down.

(D) somewhat of a novelty beer to me, this smoked porter is excellent with bbq'ed meats or in this case, locally made smoked hot pepperettes. certainly not a session beer, but a beer that has it's place in my fridge.

« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »