White Gold - Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerTruth on 04-23-2007

A Belgo-American Ale brewed with domestic barley and French wheat malts, the finest Continental and U.S. grown hops, and fermented with Belgian, English and Wild yeasts.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of White Gold Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Harpoon IPA glass. It poured a hazy orange color with an active, bubbly white head to it. The head settled down but left some pretty good lacing as I drank it.

The aroma shows a lot of wheat to it with a touch of sour and tart flavors coming through. A bit of the Belgian yeasty spice comes through as well.

The taste also shows just a bit of that sour, tart, wheat flavor to it. The yeasty spice comes out a little more in the taste compared to the aroma. It finishes with a little acidic sharpness mixed with more of the tart wheat flavors.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being about average. Drinkability is pretty decent, it was a very interesting and unique beer. I liked the little bit of sour flavor to it, it gave the wheat a little something extra and different. It was pretty smooth overall and also pretty flavorful. A pretty good beer overall.

3.74/5  rDev -4.3%

750ml bottle from somewhere, either purchased in Syracuse by myself or generously provided by charlew. I forget... I do know that it is Batch E!008.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1 1/2" off-white head over the effervescent clear golden brew. Head sno-cones above the rim over time, finally calming down to leave chunky bits of lacing. Aroma is sedate, of wheat, spices and citrus. Taste is an intensification of what the nose hinted at. Mouthfeel is a bit too prickly for my taste, and drinkability is pretty good. A good representative of the style, a bit too much carbonation for me.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.76/5  rDev -3.8%

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

-Belgo-American ale. Batch E!022.

A: Poured a hazy lemonade color with light orange hues and an outright explosive carbonation factor that literally looked like a torrential tropical storm inside the glass. Large bran flake like yeast matter race up and down inside the glass in the strong circulating current. The wild yeast was evident upon the pour yielding a quickly evolving snow white rocky head that rose with authority into a towering structure. All the time I was marveling at the beers coloring and head in my glass, unbeknownst to me the bottle was spewing foam like an erupting volcanoe at a steady and fast rate forcing me to run for backup glasses to catch the runoff and do some containment and reclamation effort. The lacing provided an incredible coverage on the glass of large patches of foam after the slow retreat of the head. After more then 5 minutes the effervesce eventually settles down a bit revealing a thick haziness and coloring that was similar to orange juice. An absolute picture perfect example in the glass worthy of any beer mag cover. Perfect regards from me here.

S: Finally into the smell. A little less exciting here then the appearance, which was by itself a hard act to follow. Soft wheat and lemon peels first appear. Soft herbal notes and light hints of whole tangerines mix well together. Decent, albeit a bit light in strength considering the effervesce which I thought would bring more to the surface.

T: The flavor brings forth soft wheat and lemon peels much like the nose. Bready with citrus and soft grapefruit notes deliver a wet feel. Citric oranges, with some sage delivers some earthy and musky notes. The finish finds a some acidity and wet citric hops and lemonade quench that leaves with a bright zing and tart bite. Overall the flavor was incredibly smooth and very easy.

M: After the initial outpour of effervesce the palate appeared soft and luscious with a good fullness to it, almost like orange juice, that was slightly tart, smooth and viscose. A smooth, tart lemonade like quality graces the tongue on the swallow.

D: No way this is 8.0%abv is my first though, feeling more at home like a 5% session. Exceptionally smooth tart summer time quencher with session like attributes that I could easily drink all day if not for the alcohol. A fairly high abv with an incredibly smoothness of a 5% session and one I could drink more of and more often.

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I got this in a trade with nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

The label says Batch E!005 and it pours from the 750ml beige(?) foil(?) caped bottle a hazy straw gold colour with a 1 finger head of foam and what looks like a lot of carbonation. It turns from hazy to cloudy with subsequent pours and that's what I was looking for.

The smell is nice and spicy! Loads of cloves and pepper along with a god lemony nose. Judging from the smell, I think this one is going to be good.

The taste is very peppery up front with the clove and lemon I mentioned in the nose. Yum. I like how the lemon works so well with the spices..no over powering from either direction, just a real harmony going on here and that makes it oh so drinkable...8%abv????..you gotta be kidding me! Very very well hidden!

The more I sip, the more I notice the fine yeasty wheat flavour that kicks this brew up a few notches in complexity. And, despite how bubbly it looks in the glass, the carbonation is at a respectable light to medium light level and again, that works for me. Absolutely perfect mouthfeel for the style for me. This is truly a fine drinking experience and I'm further impressed with Ithaca Brewing's craftmanship. Btw, head retention is awesome and there's a lot of sticky lacing. I just thought you needed to know that. ;^)

Bottom line: This is about as close to perfection in the style that I'm probably ever going find so...let the scores fall where they may. Wonderful drop!

Reviewed from notes: Thanks goes out to Marcus for picking me up this bottle.

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow with a 1 finger white head

smell: tart, wheat, sour, citrus,

taste: sour, apples, tart, citrus

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: wow what a great beer. So glad I got to try it. Everything in the Excelsior series has been top notch.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.95/5  rDev +1%

This beer pours a full bodied dull golden in color with a two finger bright white head. This has got to be the thickest wheat beer I've ever seen. Imagine a gold imperial stout in appearance. The aromas are earthy, grassy, lemon, and feature a tart yeasty aspect which is quite interesting. The flavors took me by surprise. It's moderately tart and you can pick up the different yeasts. It's very grassy and again features a lemon like tartness. It drinks kind of dry and is full in body. The viscosity makes this wheat a little harder to get through than most. Drinking a glass makes you feel like you just consumed a loaf of bread. It's definitely an interesting beer and I'm glad it had so much complexity for the style. I'd recommend trying this one, but probably sharing it with a friend.

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%

750mL bottle poured into tulip - thanks gillian!

Pours a hazed dark golden color with an absolutely out of control head, which foams out of the bottle and all over the place. Clouds of film and lacing are eventually left on the glass, along with suds left on my friend's kitchen counter.

Wild years and funk in the nose, lemon peel with zest. Hints of spice and tartness, some touches of coriander and orange.

Light hops and spice up front with floral notes. Citrus peel with lemon and orange. Juicy and flavorful, resting on top of a soft, but well balanced wheat and straw malt base. Tart and funky towards the middle, but not sour. Finishes dry with some lingering citrus and slight warmth.

Light medium body, high carbonation, dry and bubbly on the tongue. Drinks nice and easy despite the higher ABV, which is masked incredibly well. Too bad the bottle gushed all over the place.

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle, Batch E!043. Served in a tulip, the beer pours a hazy gold color with at least a couple inch frothy off-white head that stayed around for a very long time. There's also a lot of lacing. The brew smells like bready/wheat malt, lemon peel, floral hops, apples, and some grassiness. It tastes like bready/wheat malt, lemon peel, apricots, grass/hay and some light clove and peppery spice. I like the tartness in this brew, I didn't really expect that so it was a nice surprise. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's creamy and is well carbonated. I think this is good , I'd certainly like to try White Gold again in the future. $9.99 a bottle.

2.58/5  rDev -34%

The aroma is quite dusty and grassy, with some orange rind, lemon and wheat. Reminds me of a Biere de Garde or a lighter Bret yeasted (is that a word) beer.

The taste is initially overwhelmingly tart. Was not expecting that but I guess I should have been from the nose. It fades into a lemon/lime/grapefruit bitterness; I am honestly not enjoying these combinations. The finish is bready and slightly funky/yeasty, maybe a touch peppery. As is warms it turns into more of a soapy whit, a style that has never grown much on me.

Overall the flavors are kind of muddled in my opinion and leave a lot to be desired. I appreciate the creativity in the approach but it fell short.

750ml bottle poured into a stem glass, White Gold is a hazy yellow with a tight, creamy white head

Smell is wheaty, slight citrus, like an unspiced wheat.

Taste is more like a double wit, the same amount of refreshment as a single, but with an extra dose of booze, which stands out to me. Too strong and lacking any compensating complexity, a bit a of a disappointment.

Mouthfeel is very crisp, but heavier, solvent like.

Drinkability is average this is just another strong wheat beer. All the aspects of a nicer thirst quencher, but the overt strength really presents a challenge. I totally forgot there was any brett, it's a total non-factor at this point (no idea of the age, I just bought it in Boston). I had higher hopes, in spite of not caring for TEN, but this was another overpriced, under-producing brew from Excelsior. I'm always a big supporter of any brewer's reserve style beers, but a little QA goes a long way as far as not putting out the first recipe you think of! Not cheap and not to good, 1 and done thank you very much...

3.91/5  rDev 0%

750ml Bottle - from the Party Source in Syracuse, enjoyed during the Super Bowl

Appearance - Slightly hazy yellow/amber colour with a massive size foamy white coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Lemon, green grapes, clove/coriander, yeast, floral

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste lemons and wheat mixed with a lot of yeast flavour. There is also quite a bit of floral/peppery notes and some green grapes and a woodiness. As the beer warmed up I could pick up on some hops. It ended with a floral/yeasty dry aftertaste.

Overall - A quality beer that is well worth its price. Ithaca makes some fantastic beers and I'm happy I gave this one a try. The alcohol was well hidden and 750ml was the perfect amount for me.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

750 mL bottle courtesy of bmwfan1987, thanks Curt! Pours a very clear light gold color with a bubbly, whitish head. Ok retention and nice lace.

Nose is pretty crazy...light fruits with some definite hoppiness and grainy malt. Little edge of bready yeast and mowed grass.

Taste has a nice blend of refreshing wheat and hop flavors mixed with a tart, mild sourness that works perfectly on the palate. Would make for an awesome summertime quencher. Farmhouse-ish, but still maintains a certain bright cleanliness, if that makes any sense. Really nice brew that I would love to have again sometime. I was not sure what to think of this beer upon reading the label, but damn...this was one delicious bottle. A really nice beer Ithaca has here. I am loving the Excelsior series.

Ppours a hazy, pale yellow color, with a nice white head. In the aroma, corriander, orange peel, and nice wheat notes. In the taste, corriander, orange peel dryness, earthy, and a cinnamon like end. A small, spicey bite with a medium bodied mouthfeel, and a dry corriander and cinnamon like aftertaste. Quite dry, and nice spices, not to shabby.

4.7/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this at BBF. One of my favorite beers of the night.

A - Pours a deep yellow basically golden hue with a huge, rocky white fluffy head that sticks around to leave lots of sudsy lacing.

S - Mmmm, this is delicious. Very aromatic with lots of lemon, wheat, tartness, some light funk. No banana at all, which is a good thing as its a departure from the norm.

T - Oh my goodness. First taste I get is pineapple...of all things! This is spectactular. Tart and sweet, great wheat notes throughout. Nicely lemon like with good Brett notes as well.

M - Great mouthfeel, very sour but clean. Lower carbonation means this is creamy, crisp finish and refreshing. Delicious.

O - Wow, I know Ithaca makes good beer but my goodness this was a treat. Would love to get my hand on a bottle of this!

White Gold from Ithaca Beer Company