Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

TEN - Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerTruth on 03-06-2008

Imperial American Extra Special Double Red Ale

"Our Anniversary beer, TEN is brewed with too many malts to list and an excess of American hops, including several additions during fermentation.

Enjoy the russet color, aggressively hoppy aroma and flavor, rich body and fiery finish."
3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a Batch E!011 750ml bottle into a Whole Foods 30th Anniversary Imperial pint glass.

A: Opaque reddish-brown with a lingering single layer head.

S: Aged malts, booziness, and slight oxidation unfortunately.

T: Slight hoppiness, sweet malts, and a nice bitter finish.

M: This beer kind of changes "state" as it goes along. At first sip out of the fridge I thought there was no carbonation at all and was ready to drainpour it. I gave it a little time and the carbonation found its way. As it warmed up I noticed some sips were syrupy, weird.

D: I had no problem finishing this bottle by myself within 2 hours.

Overall, this one is a tough call whether to age any longer. If you go by booziness, yes. If you go by oxidation/wateriness/mouthfeel, no.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

750ml bottle into a Weyerbacher tulip; shared at a tasting.

A: Deep, hazy, ruby body with a finger of dark tan foam. Pretty solid.

S: Aged, slightly oxidized barleywine goodness: toffee, caramel, port, and booze. Nice.

T: Sweet caramel, toffee, alcoholic deliciousness. Much like the nose, but even more complex and intense. For a beer that was so hoppy originally, there isn't much bitterness left. I'm not complaining, though.

M: Smooth medium to full body with light carbonation. Nice.

D: Great for the strength and booziness. I'm really not bothered by the alcohol, but find the warmth to lend a nice facet to the overall experience.

Notes: Big thanks to Larry for sharing this vintage goodness with us. I'd been thinking about picking up a bottle of this for a long time (there are still a few drifting around shelves in CT), and having tried it I think I'll definitely pull the trigger. This one has aged nicely, and has the potential to do so for some time to come.

1.88/5  rDev -53.5%

Preface - I fear, no, hope my bottle was bad.

Bottle poured into large wine glass.

NO head at all and unfortunately VERY, VERY flat.

The good - I liked the thick reddish-brown color and the smell was different than what I expected. Not a bad smell, just different, like a very floral Saison aged in wine barrels... almost sourish.

The bad - I think I've had water with more carbonation before... Pouring it I knew something was up but I truly had no idea until I tried drinking it.

I fear mine may have even been infected. No other review for this beer mention any sourness, yet this one was. I could almost get beyond the flatness, but the combination of no carbonation and the sourness made this a drain pour...

I'm kind of surprised I was able to down half a glass.

4.29/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into a snifter on 8/21/10

Batch E!014

Pours a caramel brown. Once settled it suggests murkiness but when held to the light it has a nice clarity & the appearance of grape juice. Initially over one finger of foam, head retention thins though it does so slowly. Ok lace so far. Essentially no retention or lace by the end. The second pour gets some sediment & is murky, with a dirty, rusty hue.

Smells like a red ale should, though I get the impression the hops have faded some. Floral tones seem to have retained best & are notable throughout. Wispy citric elements seems to have dropped by the wayside; though overtones remain, they seem way past ripe. Lots of toasted malts with notes of caramel, toffee, sweet bread, biscuit & a hint of brown sugar. Faint dark fruit tones.

The taste is heavy & very full flavored. Hop fade doesn't present a huge problem here, as there are still floral notes & notions of pine remaining. I'm pleasantly surprised there is still a modest amount of resiny bitterness. The malts are in full force, too. Robust notes of caramel. To a slightly lesser extent brown sugar & toasted sweet bread. Hints of candied malts & faint suggestions of butterscotch. It has some barleywine qualities but never forgoes its red ale style.

TEN is dense, chewy, sticky, resinous & underscored with a touch of grittiness. Very full bodied, to say the least. A perfect amount of carbonation is geared toward a flawless ration between moving the beer & supporting the flavors. In conjunction with lingering floral hop notes are residual sugars that really call to mind a barleywine. Alcohol is very well hidden.

I don't know how old this particular bottle is & it's the only one I've had. While I cannot provide insight on a fresh bottle, I can say it's drinking mighty fine right now. So dang tasty & easy to drink. For that matter it hardly drinks like 10.6% abv. It also reminds me of a hepped-up Nugget Nectar. Righteous.

4.02/5  rDev -0.5%

I had cellared this for a while, and had intended to keep it longer, but after a bad experience recently with cellaring a DIPA from another brewer, I've decided to clear our my old stash and research how to better cellar going forward.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into an oversized snifter. The bottle is quite heavy and impressive; this looks more like a wine or Champagne bottle than a beer bomber. The bottle bears batch no. E!014.

Pours with an aggressive 3" head that slowy reduces as it sits. Dark mahogany coloring with an ecru colored head formed of tight bubbles that unevenly pillows down. Nice soapy retention as I sip this beer toward conclusion.

Has a wonderfully hoppy smell; seems I shouldn't have worried over this beer's longevity. Floral notes with an undertone of sweet malt; raisin, bread, and maple scents also tickle the nose. This beer smells promising.

Up front dark fruits, laced heavy with alcohol, start this one off. Raisin, currant, dates and figs - sweet, and rich in presentation. Sweet malt, yeast, and slght vanilla hit you mid-taste, with a bitternes that starts strong, fades, and then lingers as it dries out the tongue. As it warms, a maple/molasses taset becomes more prominent.

Creamy in texture, this is a rich beer, to be slowly sipped and allowed to open further as it warms.

No doubt its a sipper, one which I will happily enjoy to its finish. As 10% alcohol, and $10 a bottle, however, I wouldn't have another tonight.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. On the label there is nice description of the beer and a batch number. (Batch # e ! 014)

Appearance: The body has a deep russet brown color with a deep hazy orange glow when held up to the light. The pour produces a one finger thick white foam head which fades to just a thin film covering. Lacing is minimal, slick and spotty.

Smell: There are loads of nice citrusy hop notes in the nose as well as a solid base of sweet malt and sweet alcohol.

Taste/Palate: It starts with a deep rich base of sweet malt. It reveals hints of caramel, dark dried fruit and dark alcohol laced cake. This make for nice mellow warmth though out. Hop flavor is also present and adds some mild citrus as well as earthy and spicy bitter notes. The palate has a big full body soft carbonation and firm smooth, almost sticky texture.

Notes: Its big 10% abv, complex maltiness and mouth feel make for a solid and enjoyable slow sipping ale.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Date: 06/11/2010
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2008
Glassware: The Usual Suspect - Portsmouth Tulip

Poured a reddish mahoghany in color w/ just a skim coat white bubbly head that left little to no lacing on the glass. Nose was of caramel, toffee, dark fruits, and subtle earthy hops. Taste was pretty much on point w/ the nose. With two years of age the hops have died down substantially and this brew is starting to taste very similar to JW Lees Vintage Harvest Ale(English Barleywine). If you can be patient, in another 2-3 years this brew will hopefully be JW Lees Vintage Harvest Ale in a 750ml. bottle. The mouthfeel was relatively thin leaving a basement mustiness hanging on the palate like a good English Barleywine. As far as drinkability goes...I polished off a 750ml. bottle w/o a problem and could have drank more.

Overall, I loved this brew fresh, and I like it even more w/ 2yrs. of age on it. Great job once again by Ithaca Brewing!

3.62/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a ruddy brown with a filmy tan head. Aroma has lots of toffee and some subdued stone fruity notes, sorta barleywine-esque in a way. Flavor is bready with faded hops, toffee, grapefruit, and a surprising smokiness. Earthy, bitter hop finish. Medium-to-full body, resinous and a bit sticky.

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Russet amber in color with bright amber hues around the fringe. Bubbly head is very thin and quickly fades to almost nothing.

S - Dark fruits and floral hops. Very impressed with how strong the hop aroma still is. Lots of dark malts as well. Touch of alcohol in the nose.

T - Malty sweetness up front is quickly matched by a clean floral hoppiness. Light bitterness mid-drink. Alcohol provides a light burn late in the drink.

M/D - Thin with a light crisp carbonation. Alchol burn knocks drinkability down just a touch. Aged very well and I can only imagine what it must have been like fresh.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

Yikes a pint on draft at the hulmville inn. A fucking pint for jebus sake and for 4.75!

A- no head but its fill to the top of the pint. Deep copper orange brown with a nice glow when lit from behind.

S- a surprising amount of citrusy hops with a milder pine hit. Lots of malty sweetness. Caramel and honey wheat bread come to mind.

T- big toffee and caramel sweetness and a shocking tropical fruitiness from a combination of over two years in the barrel and hops that I can't believe are still holding their own.

M- medium to full body with just enough carb to carry this beast. Slightly chewy and coating.

D- well it 10 abv and very complex but as I fight my way in to this pint I can imagine getting another, how many times will you see a. Two year old barrel of this stuff.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

I want to start off by saying tonight I am working with a new Belgian glass which my good friend Dan gave me with a load of great beers so thanks to him for this awesome glass. As I popped the bottle I got a healthy hissing noise which was a good sign since this beer is almost two and a half years old. I gave it a straight on pour into my new glass and got a really nice cream colored head about one finger thick that stayed around for quite some time. I'm giving this beer a nice swirl and seeing a medium lacing slide down the glass, nothing to heavy nor light. As usual I'm holding it up to the light and I'm not seeing penetrating light but its definitely brightening up the reddish copper hues that I am seeing.

The first thing that I am noticing is a huge bouquet of malt and dark fruit (raisins). At the same time I don't want to forget the hops because even after two years this thing is still blooming with a nice hoppy smell. They might be muted and not as bright as they once were but they still are playing a huge part in this beer. Something else to mention is that I'm getting a slight wet cardboard smell which tells me the beer is getting older and is aging gracefully but if left too long will not gain any benefits. One last smell....Barleywine...Barleywine....Barleywine....

With two years of age on this beast it still has a fair amount of hop bite. It reeks of raisny, malty backbone which take the center front stage. Coming back to the hops a muted tangerine taste keeps coming back to me in the finish with caramel and butterscotch warming me on every sip. I feel like this beer is drinking at its best right now because its not overly boozy and not missing any qualities of a great American strong ale which gives super complexity.

I hope you set and hour or two aside for this one! Although a great beer keep in mind that it is heavy and complex and is not something you can just throw down quickly. So for drinkability I'd absolutely give this a high recommendation if you have the time to spare or even better grab a friend and enjoy this over a great conversation.

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a super dark amber, more like mahogony, with absolutely no head. I'm wondering if it is carbonated at all. It is two years old. The smell is similarly average. No longer any hoppiness to speak of, unfortunately. Huge malt roastiness that reminds me of roasted almonds. Some sweet dark fruits, especially cherry, and a heavy dose of alcohol.

I'm going to talk about the flavor and the mouthfeel at the same time, because the latter affects the former greatly. There is little, almost no, carbonation here, which doesn't allow any of the flavors that this could potentially have to develop on the palate. Instead, you get a pretty basic straightforward alcohol burn, with a little indistinct sweetness up front and a roasted finish that is by far the best part of the beer.

Drinkability=Drain Pour.

4.16/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Corsedonk snifter. Poured a wonderful cloudy caramel color. Wow this beer looks great already! HUGE frothy toffee colored head, about 2 to 3 fingers...with excellent head retention. About 15 minutes in and I still have a creamy surface. Surprisingly the lacing is on the lighter side and slides pretty quick.

Aroma is strong and very nice. A TON of booze and raisin. Kind of smells similar to Double Dead Guy from Rogue. Can really pick out the malty-ness and molasses as well.

Wow...this is very good! Even though I was expecting a beer similar to Double Dead Guy, it's better! A TON of booze again, really carries into your nose as you drink. Very creamy and full body mouthfeel. Carbonation is mid to high, but just right. Can really taste the raisins and "under" ripe fruit, molasses, and huge malty-ness. What a surprisingly great beer!

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

Split a 750 mL of this with beerman207 tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed this one. Review is from notes taken on 3/8/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours the color of toffee and starts with a big three finger light tan head with nice retention that eventually fades to a full and uneven skim; body is very cloudy (looks a little bit like a thick apple cider) and appears to be a bit viscous on the pour; fair washes and spots of lacing left behind.

Smell: A near perfect blend of bitter grassy and piney hops and a sweet caramel maltiness with a bit of apple to it; bit of alcohol in the nose; malt seems pretty complex, like there are many types used in the process.

Taste: Very nice blend of the bitter and earthy hoppiness along with a very sweet and more dominant and complex maltiness; bit of a caramel apple appeal to it with some acidity and mild spiciness from the varied hops used in the process, but it's a little subdued by the blend with all the malts; very slight presence of alcohol, but it's blended very well.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy from the mild carbonation; body is moderately thick and leaves a lot of thick and sticky coating on the roof of the mouth; belly is left quite warm from the higher ABV of around 10%.

Drinkability: Probably too high for how high the ABV is -- flavors are outstanding and the smell compliments it perfectly; mouthfeel is great and chewy, but I'll have to limit the overall drinkability of it to a 4 because the alcohol really does creep up on you.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by jyounger30 - thanks!

Pours a hazy dark amber color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of loads of malts - sticky caramel mostly but with good amounts of milk chocolate aromas and lighter amounts of toasted malt aromas. Also present are slight amounts of leafy and spicy hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sticky caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid amounts of milk chocolate and toasted malts. Midway through the sip a light bitterness comes on accompanied by slightly spicy and earthy hops. The hop flavors share equal billing with the malts through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a full mouthfeel is grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I have to say that I think I would have enjoyed this more about a year ago but I also have to say that this was still a very good beer that didn't exhibit the normal flavors in a hoppy beer that's been aged. Well worth a shot, no matter how old.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

A: deep mahogany color, clear
S: bursting with juicy American hops, reminded me of SN Bigfoot
T: probably the closest beer to SN Bigfoot that I've tried in some time, chewy malt, strong American hops, well-balanced and easily a beer that could be aged for years, not too noticeable alcohol and once hops mellow from the grapefruit this will be an incredible beer
M: easy drinkability, only criticism is that the hops are way too American grapefruit and piney, I'd rather have British (Fuggles, etc.) for a more traditional flavor
D: very, even for its strength

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Mahogany brown with ruby highlights topped by a thin layer of beige head. The head doesn't last long, but leaves behind a good lace on the walls of my glass. Big caramel and toffee aroma; also raisin, plum, and a hint of orange. There's a very faint earthy hop aroma in the background. It's tastes very malt-foward, with loads of treacle and even some molasses. The dried fruit character suggested by the scent is also found by the palate. The alcohol is a little bit warm, but very mellow and integrated with the rest of the flavours. There's just a kiss of pine and citrus in the finish, and a very mild bitterness. Most of the hop character this beer may have once shown has faded away. As it is now, this is one rich and malty beast of an ale. Full-bodied with low carbonation and a thick, syrupy mouthfeel. It's substantial, even chewy. Given the strength of this beer, I only poured a pint and put a stopper in the bottle to save the rest for later. As potent and richly flavoured as it may be, I made my way through that pint at a pretty brisk pace. Slow enough to appreciate it's charms, of course.

Bottoms up.

3.23/5  rDev -20%

Poured brown, with decent foam for its age.

Aromatics mostly of caramel and toffee. Malt-forward, which is pretty much what I was expecting.

Unfortunately, the taste just leaves me flat. It's not bad...it's a caramel malt bomb. But just that - I don't get a lot of interesting flavor development here, little complexity. I was hoping for more out of a 10% strong ale. This is (or was) probably one of those American Double Reds that was hopped to all hell, and was incredible when fresh, but aged into a simple caramel malt bomb. I was hoping for some aged barleywine-like complexity, and didn't get too much of it. It's OK, though. I can drink it. There's just nothing about it at this point that wows me.

Carbonation is pretty good, pretty good rich chewy mouthfeel.

Again, I can drink it, but it didn't turn out to be the lush cellar experience I thought it could be. Oh well. I guess I'm slightly more disappointed than usual, given the recent excellent reviews on this. It was probably pretty kick ass when fresh....but right now, I find myself in the odd position of being a statistical outlier.

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

The little bit of leakage from shipping doesn't seem to be a problem as I easily get three fingers of doughy beige head that leaves thick lace as it slowly fades. Body is a beautiful deep murky brown with hints of burgundy when held to light. You really start to pick up the nose on this one even before you bring it close. Fragrant rich sweet dark fruits such as plum skin, ripe cherries, and even zesty baked citrus are accompanied by soft spices and even a slight sappy hop profile. The dark fruits are easy to pick up especially raisin and plum up front. Malts range from toasty and caramelized to rich fruit and candied sugars. Hops are there for such nice balance with some sappy notes and some citrus marmalade. Mouthfeel is dynamic and expressive leaving you wanting another sip. I could drink this one all night and often.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Deep amber color. Pretty hazy with a ton of off-white to slightly darker head that sticks around for a long time. I may have poured a bit aggressively, but there was quite a bit of foam, though it was very pretty foam.

S - Big fruity citrus hops with lots of toasty bready malt notes behind it. Some pine and grass as well. Definitely a nicely complex hop bouquet.

T - Slightly boozy, but not overpowering. Hop flavor is there, but seems to be dwindling a bit from what I can imagine it was when this was fresh. Still nice with some darker chocolate and toasted malt notes coming through on the finish. After a couple of sips, I actually quite appreciate the fact that I am not blown away by the hops up front, as there's plenty going on behind them.

M - Nice medium-to-full body. Not particularly sweet, but it's got a nice bit of creaminess to it that makes the 10% alcohol very palatable. Quite pleasant.

D - I'll have no problem polishing the 750ml to myself. Another fine drop from Ithaca.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Never had this fresh. Some reviews indicate this is past prime, some say it's perfect now.

It pours a fantastically thick, almost clear, brownish red, topped by a dark beige head that hangs around for a good while, finally subsiding to a thick and lively cap. Plenty of carb. left in this, anyway, good sign. Really has a nice look, refracted light picks up the red highlights, giving it a shimmer.

Ten has a full aroma. The smells it carries seem light in nature, but the bouquet is dripping with them. Cherry, oak, rounded yeast tones, dark caramel, toasty raisin bread, with hints of floral spiciness. What a nose, there are light hints of citrus, and as the nose grows accustomed pure malted fragrance held in embrace of warm alcohol reveals as the straws that stir it all. Complex, fragrant, tempting.

All I can say in this review is what I said aloud as I took the first few sips. Wow. The base flavors have combined magnificently. There was a separation of a kind in the smell, here in the taste it is one flavor now, not many. I can sense all the flavors in the nose, but they have combined into a new flavor that is bright, delicious, and ends semi-dry (I imagine this originally had a drier finish) with a blast of dark fruit, malt, and bitter herb. This is magnificent I realize now, it's warmed, and I have consumed half the bottle. Complex, blended, bright, delicious, interesting, and not the slightest taste of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is stupendous for a beer this big. The sit left it with plenty enough carb., and the thick feel of it is balanced by clean flavors and pleasant cling to a finish that is epic.

Drinkability is good as it gets. If you have multiple bottles, I would have someone monitor your intake.

Impression: Could have bought ten of the Tens two months ago., very sorry to have bought only this one. Trade for this if you can, it is drinking excellently.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A - A very active pour with swirling quickly receding carbonation... Once settled there is a huge three plus fingers worth of slightly rocky batter-like off-white head with a faint reddish hue... Stellar retention... A murky burnt sienna color that is lighter at the bottom of the glass and drastically darker at the top...

S - Complexity abound... Loaded with malts... Fresh baked dark bread... Caramel... Toffee... Nuttiness... Butter... A mild hint of brown sugar... Faint undertones of a mix of hops... Some citrusy, some piney...

T - The mix of rich malt flavors come and go rather quickly... They are replaced by a rush of candied citrusy hops... Slightly medicinal on the finish...

M - The lips are first with with a delicate lush foam... Once the liquid hits the tongue its rich and creamy... Loads of modest carbonation... Medium to full bodied... End slightly sticky with a faint warming affects of the alcohol... Quite smooth, especially with a little age on it...

D - A terrific brew... Great looking with wonderfully complexity in both aroma and taste coupled with excellent mouthfeel... Yep, this one is a winner... Terrific job by the folks at Ithaca... The double digit ABV and rich heaviness of the brew keep this from being something I could drink all night long...

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A- pours a cloudy med brownish-copper color w/ a fluffy lt. beige head which sticks around quite a while before dissolving into a ring of thick lace completely coating my snifter

S- smell is mostly darker grained bread and piney citrus hops with a nutty/toffee aroma down the middle, some alcohol, dark fruit and licorice as it warms

A- a rich sweet deeper toasted malt flavor quickly subdued by citrus hop bitterness, a sweet caramel/toffee is also in there fighting with the hops for balance, a bit of licorice, dried plum, coconut(?) and a floral/perfumey undertone all come into play towards the end, finish is alcoholic and sticky with a touch of soapy mineral

M- a full bodied brew for sure, a good amount of co2 helps balance the stickiness tho

D- as drinkable as a 10% red ale can get, lets you know it's high in ABV yet tasty enough to make you keep drinking it anyway

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

Perhaps a little past its prime.

A: Hazy chestnut, light tan head, thin ring of retention, good lacing.

S: Brown sugar with plenty of alcohol & hints of American hops.

T: Brown sugar, sherry, nut, good bitterness.

M: Very well-attenuated for its weight, with a VERY drying alcohol finish.

D: Seems a little boozy, without the depth of flavour. You'd think it would have mellowed?

Glad I grabbed the last two of these at the local store. I'll get to try a fresh one and an aged one. Poured into an oversized snifter. Has a very deep brownish color but held up to the light, this let's some light through. A bit murky with a fingers worth of fizzy off white head. Has that initial Imperial Red aroma that I can never quite put my finger on. A bit more fruity and boozy, and a very nice floral hop character. Has a buttery, bready smell that may be from the bottle conditioning. Very enticing, sweet aromas. A bit bitter tasting, with some dark fruit and alcohol. Pretty viscous on the mouthfeel and a tad syrupy, which works very well for this style of beer. Solid, solid beer. This Excelsior series is nothing short of fantastic for Ithaca. A very drinkable beer, perfect for this cold snowy night and football.

TEN from Ithaca Beer Company