Brute - Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: albern on 06-22-2008

Brewed with vintage (aged) local hops, barley, wheat, corn, aged in oak with Brett and finished with three types of champagne yeast.
4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

Bottle courtesy of dmeadows. Thanks Dennis! '11 Bottle.

A- Pours a gorgeous sunset yellow with a fluffy head that dissipates slowly leaving adequate lacing behind.

S- Good amount of funk upfront with some barnyard notes and vinegar followed by lemon, apricot, peach, blood orange and apple.. A nice blend of funkiness and citrus/tropical fruit.

T- Some tartness initially with sweet tarts, a bit of vinegar and hay followed by big citrus and tropical fruit with notes of peach, apricot, lemon and apple. The flavors compliment each other so well without anything being overpowering.

M- Lively carbonation with a light body and a clean finish.

O-An incredible beer in regards to complexity and balance. Not overly tart nor sweet, Brute has to be one of the most memorable beers for me recently and one of the best overall beers I've had this year.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a thick white fluffy head, the smell is slightly funky and very tart. the taste is very dry, tart with a good funkiness. the mouthfeel is dry and crisp, you can tell that the champagne yeast was used to finish this one off, and it works well for this style. honestly, one of the best wild ales i have had

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

Shared with rhinos00 and ratman197.

Pours a hazy straw with a fizzy white head. Settles to a thin cover with subtle lacing.

Fantastic nose of horse blanket, damp soil, manure, oak, tart citrus, candy malts, subtle floral hops and white wine.

Taste is also quite complex and maintains perfect balance. Funky barnyard yeast presence over lemon, grapefruit, fruity malts, oak and quiet hops.

Crisp body is delicately carbonated. Could enjoy this beauty anytime.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

Chose after the fact to review this for my 400th, as it is worthy of any milestone out there. Reviewed from notes.

The trees are all still on one of those hazy mornings as the sun shines through the thick cloud cover. Everything washed in a dim yellow haze, a massive puff of white cloud blocks out the sun and lingers around all morning, breaking off small pieces to leave behind as it drifts away.
The aroma of rich and complex sour, perhaps as a farm in spring-time, some fresh lemons, a bit of funk wafting up from the barn, freshly tilled earth with grass tilled under, a pasture, white grapes weighing down the trees. It may not be possible for a sour to have a better nose, at least on the fresh and inviting side of things, rather than the cavey-dank that some may have.
The flavours are also reminiscent of a fresh breeze coming up from a pasture, sunshine on a hilltop as the trees and tall grass dance upwards toward the sky. A light lemon-sour-citrus, faint honey-sweet in the back with white-bread malt. Lemon-sour, brett-sour, apple-sour, all perfectly blended.
Massive fluffy carbonation dances on the tongue and fills the mouth, as it were, with prickly cotton. A tart finish leaves a lingering dryness and astringency, makes one want more.
I am blessed to have time to look at the weather and ponder, and blessed to have such an exquisite creation to have enjoyed. Seek this out.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

750ml bottle sent to me by the great Lum. I have heard him and the rest of the LNBA crew that have enjoyed this pimp the hell out of it, and I am stoked to have the chance. Served up in a tulip. Batch # E!010

A: First off this beer is capped and corked. Once you uncork this fool, you get a huge pop. Have to be careful when you pour this sweetheart because she foams easily. Slow pour got me a huge white, foamy head. Head has decent retention and doesn't really ever go away, only falling to a completely solid top cap that produces some spotty lacing. The body is a really pretty hazy, sunny yellow color that shine brighter when held to the light. Lots of carbonation steadily streams from the bottom of the glass. Really pretty beer.

S: My goodness does this lady wear a fine perfume. As soon as you pop that cork, a massive amount of aroma fills the area and really gives you a treat. There is first a foremost a really dank ass musty, musky scent coming out. Then comes all that sweet ass and sour ass fruity goodness. Sour, sweet and tart fruits. Green apple, grape, melon, pear, lemon, orange. All of these are in here. There is a slight and sweet vinegar smell coming out as well. Then, comes a bit of wood (oak) and earthiness (a barn full of hay). This is just great.

T: Man is this a tart and tasty little lady. The fruits take center stage, no teasing whatsoever, just full on entertainment. The sweet and sour green apple. Sweet melon, zesty lemon, sugary and tart pear. Grapefruit pucker. Grapes all over this with a nice white wine tartness. Stupid amount of fruit goodness. There is an apple cider vinegar presence that is slightly vinegary but still adds to the fruity sweetness in here. The barnyard funk is here as well with some dirty hay and a touch of salty leather. It can't get much better than this. I would give it a 5 but my experience with Wild Ales is minimal, so I will give the others the benefit of the doubt but I don't think it can get any better.

M: This is a medium bodied brew that has just a high carbonation crispness that doesn't stop. The beer is just so damned light and bubbly on the palate and tingles on the way down. ABV is low and doesn't even play a factor in here. The beer is very light on the palate and doesn't linger too long but doesn't leave too early. All those fruits come out in the aftertaste and allow you to thoroughly explore this crazy good beer.

D: This beer is amazing. Hands down, amazing. This beer is an incredible achievement and it is successful in all categories. This beer is just so complex, yet easy to drink and enjoy. This is one of those beers you pop for nonbelievers, serve up in wine glasses, let them enjoy, and then BAM, "Thats a beer, bitches!". No one will believe you. Just a powerful and beautiful brew that goes down so easy I had to keep myself in check and from gulping this down. This 750 will be savored and then mourned once it is killed. I envy those in and near Ithaca. Thanks, Paul.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

750ml capped and corked bottle picked up at the brewery. Third (and most recent as of this review) batch of Brute.

A- Pours a hazy orange/yellow. Huge, fluffy white head on initial pour lasts and leaves nice lacing on my glass.
S- Slight aromas of barnyard brett funk, with a tart tinge to it. Inviting.
T- Delicious. The balanced/restrained tart flavors work well with the earthy notes beind it. Everything I want a sour to taste like.
M- Light, refreshing, crisp, with just the right amount of dryness. High carbonation.
D- Falvorfull and complex make this highly drinkable. The high price tag makes this a difficult daily drinker, but that in no way detracts from it's score.

Overall - After a couple of times having this I decided it was time to actually review it. Just the right amount of tartness and complexity make this a fantastic brew, and highly recommended if you can get your hands on some.

4.76/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured this 750 mL brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. BAtch E!010, I have had this one about a year. The black artificial cork came out with a small pop. The huge head was crisp white and it lingered forever. Streaks of lace stuck to the sides. The body was bright golden and clear. On the second pour it became murkier.

Smell was of a damp basement. Powdery. Mildly yeasty. Aroma was not pronounced.

Taste was sweet lemony tartness. Nice big flavors. Peppercorns and drying woodiness. I love this character in a beer. Organic leafiness. Mild yeasts. Ginger. Juicy fruit. Green apple peel. Honeydew. Some sweetness remains in the aftertaste, however, the woody dryness is predominant. One of the best I've tasted!

Mouthfeel was prickly and effervescent. Medium in body but very light, evaporating-like texture. Very champagne-like. I love this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

750ml bottle into Portsmouth snifter. 2010 vintage. Split with friends.

A: Pours a bright, hazy lemony orange with a thick, fluffy, bright white head that slowly faded to lace. Great head retention.
S: Super clean notes of brett, lemon zest, peaches, apricots, nectarines, straw and pepper. This smells amazing.
T: Lightly tart notes of citrus and lemon zest. Fruit follows the nose, especially the peach. The finish is full of golden fruits and maybe raspberries, and the aftertaste is lightly dry with flavors of straw.
M: Very soft carbonation, velvety soft actually, with a light, dry mouth.
O: Amazingly subtle beer. The flavors are very complex but don’t overwhelm the senses. I really enjoyed the flavor and the mouthfeel especially. Definitely underhyped.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

my favorite brewery has made brute a brewery release only. Phe.... I'm close to Ithaca

a- pours a flourescent hazy yellow with a SASSY head of foam on the glass.Brute is bright and literally glows across my ithaca tulip

S- a blast of citrus flavor and brett that is as strong as it can be. A slight theme of wheat and pepper round off that funky barnyard scent that some many love. Brute pushes the brett experience in a brew

t- very lively and powerful with the flavors. The freshness makes me pucker, due to the borderline sour taste. This is what an american wild should taste like. Bursting flavors of citrus and brett all over

m- carbonation is exactly how you would want it to be

o- what can be the closure for summarizing this brew? it has flavors of sweetness and sour elements that engulf the palate. experiencing brute makes an american wild ale experience complete. Great job ithaca

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Cork and capped 750mL Bomber (Batch E!027), poured into a Balloon.

Picked this up from the source, and boy am I glad I did. For me, this is the definitive Golden Sour (yes, it blows temptation out of the water ... no-contest).

A: Hay-colored and cloudy. HUGE soapy head, HUGE, dissipates slowly and laces the glass beautifully.

S: Tart, dry and sour. Light too ... man I want this in my mouth, this thing smells phenomenal.

T: Sweet up front, tart in the middle, dries out and fades into fruits (heavy on the cherry and berry) and pollen. Spectacular taste here.

F: Sparkly and light, but thick enough to coat the mouth.

D: Definitive. Awesome.

4.74/5  rDev +8%

Tasting with rye726 and ratman197. Beer #7 of 8. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a New Belgium snifter.

A- Pours a hazy, straw colored yellow. Very vibrant. Produced a thin white head.

S- Wow! Potent and spot on. Getting a strong farmhouse funk aroma, with some lemon zest and horse blanket. Lots of high acidic citrus aromas. Absolutely divine.

T- Giant cornucopia of oak, lemon, grapefruit, brett and acidic notes. Flavors were assertive and the sourness fell just short of mouthpuckering. Great stuff.

M- One of my favorite parts of the beer. Light mouthfeel. The carbonation gave an almost creamy texture to the beer. Quite unique.

D- Putting a 750 mL bottle of this would be so easy. And that's really hard to do with a lot of sours. I had my glass and I was begging for more.

Overall, what an amazing sour. Reminded a lot of Beatification and Isabelle, but better. Do yourself a favor and pick up a few bottles, you won't be disappointed.

4.73/5  rDev +7.7%

Reviewed on 12 November 2010 at the "Ithaca Beer Happy Hour" @ Tap and Mallet.

Served in a non-standard, 8.5oz tasting glass, appears cloudy gold, one-finger head, heavy but runny lacing at first. Head goes away quickly but leaves beautiful filmy head. Aroma is slightly funky, all-brett yeast, but beer is not deep enough down the glass to evaluate aroma, nor warmed up.

Taste is only SLIGHTLY sour, and ends with a fresh dryness. It's as if the beers foams up and coats the roof of the mouth. Little hints of apricot and lemon peel. Halfway down the glass, foam film gets heavier and lacing becomes stickier. Tasting more The sour funk gets wilder and the dry feeling on the palate becomes addicting. Reminds me of Russian River Tempation, but more dry and less sour. Love it.

Back to aroma -- the old bearded man next to me is looking at me funny and shaking his head as I put my nose into the glass. Aroma hasn't changed. It is still a delightful dry funk, like the dry white wine of beer. Met up with Matt Schultz of Ithaca, and he then told me that this beer is all-brett, single hopped. Amazing brew, Ithaca.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Was so excited to hear that a local store received a couple cases... I changed my plans instantly, headed down and loaded up. What a beautiful Spring Sunday and what a perfect beer to enjoy it with. Top it off that I just bottled my first batch of homebrew and it came out not just drinkable, but actually tasty!

I throw on shuffle all, and Stevie Wonder guides the way with Black Man from Songs in the Key of Life... and away we go.

As I watch it pour, it reminds me of the time I just crushed the heck out of green grapes... the color of the pour has that faintly green sort of hue to it as it finds the palm of the glass. But as the tart smelling juice spreads around the wine glass... it settles into a beautiful orangey golden color. Nice light head settles on top and caps off... leaving incredible lacing. It looks great, and as I attempt to use the Brute filled glass as a telescope, I realize that it is cloudy and thick and that the golden hue is deep and full and I can't see through it at all. And while this looks really really pretty... I can't dodge that sour amazing aroma.

My nose meets my hand and the glass halfway and I freeze... unable to move from this position because the smell is intoxicating. My fiancée walks in and gives me that look that I get when I geek out by myself with beer... you know the look... it's a mixture of confusion, doubt, humor all sewn together with respect and love... she shakes her head, laughs and walks out. I am still hunched over with my nose acting as a diving board on the rim of the glass. The brett is obvious, giving it that wet cat meets hockey equipment meets an old...

(Song change, Jeff Tweedy covering Dylan's "Simple Twist of Fate"... off the I'm Not There album... what a compilation)

...afghan blanket that has been tucked in the attic for to many years. The citric lemon, sour champagne smell is there as well... with a nice, fairly subtle but noticeable oak character. Man, that is a good smelling beer.

So, I have been into sours for a while now... and I often find myself at a bar like say, the Tiger, with a good pal that likes good beer, just doesn't seek it out or really buy it. The other day I was there with a great buddy from Chicago and the lady. I order three beers, let him try them all and pick his favorite... in the mix we had a sour. He decided to go with the Aventinus, thinking on first sip the sour was to much. A few minutes later he asked for another sip, then another... and after essentially drinking my entire beer explained; "it's like Tabasco... Not necessarily the taste I expect to want or like, but the more you have the more you need". I can't help but think that sums it up for me. I need it, and once I get that initial brett/sour taste I need more quick. Brute is incredibly dry and tart, leaving your mouth pleading for more...

(Song change, Lykke Li, "Complaint Department". Saw her a few months back and she was captivating, if you get the chance check her out)

...Citric, sour, lemon, orange, all under the umbrella of Brett and his manly mustiness... giving it that funk. Sour apple is really dominating at first, but it those other fruits start to poke their heads out more as it warms.

Brute is extremely carbonated giving it a great mouthfeel... reminds me of Cuvee de Castleton in its medium body, dry finish, yet incredibly full of carbination. It's the type of beer I could swish around my mouth for hours (or minutes, maybe a couple seconds)

(Song Change, now we get the real thing... Dylan, off of Blonde on Blonde, "I want you". Great song "The drunken politicians, leaps upon the street where mothers weep, and the saviors who are fast asleep... they wait for you.")

... very drinkable. It is so dry that it takes some resistance to slow down and enjoy each sip.

Overall, great, great beer. Ran into the brewer at a CL beer dinner and he said that he, at first, didn't think it was that good. It took his customers to let him know how damn good it was to start and feel confident behind it. Great offering, great beer, great Sunday

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

A: A cloudy, golden pour, topped with a dense white head. Wonderful to look at and indicative of good things to come.

S: Sour, brettanomyces funk, barnyard, wet hay, lemon drops.

T: Intensely sour, lemongrass, barnyard funkiness, wonderful brett bitterness, spicy undertones.

M: Well carbonated, nicely dry finish.

D: A wonderful beer. Definitely one to seek after and hoard in your cellar when you can find it. My only gripe is the use of an artificial cork that is very difficult to remove. My trys with a butler's thief, which I use to good effect on natural corks, resulted in chipped glass, which was thankfully confined to the exterior of the bottle. I will use a conventional corkscrew next time, but no bottle should be this hard to open. Would much prefer a mushroom cork with a cage.

Batch E!010

A - Very hazy golden blonde with a fluffy white head that hangs around forever.

S - Very sour and funky. Lightly fruity. Kiwi maybe? Very nice. I wish they made candles that smelled like this.

T - Nice and tart. Very good sourness to it. That fruit smell is there in the background but very subdued. The funk is also not as noticeable in the taste as the smell. Very, very good.

M - It is very tingly. I love it.

D - I'm going to try very hard not to take down this whole 750 in the next 15 minutes.

In my opinion, this is easily one of the best American Wild Ales around. Happy birthday to me indeed.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Brute pours a bright electric yellow, sort of a strange color with a beer. Slight haze in the center, with tons of carbonation supporting a large, foamy head. Bubbles on the side and bottom of the glass rise up, giving the head great retention. Lots of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Green apple, white grape, pear, barnyard funk, a little vanilla, and some oak.

Taste: Oaky and sour. Some bretty funk turns sour, but it is not overwhelming. Tart green apples, white grapes, and a bit of pear. Woody oak helps to tie everything together. Very balanced.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy at the same time. Crisp, dry, and medium bodied. The acidity creates a puckering sensation in my lower cheeks.

Drinkability: At this stage in my sour drinking career, balance is something I look kindly upon, and Brute demonstrates an extremely good balance. I will go after this again.

On tap at kraftworks.

A- comes to me with two fingers of bright white head that settles in a bit to an almost mirror finish. Hazy golden yellow orange in color.

S- tart peaches and lemon zest. Hint of florals and honey. Pale wheat and funk.

T- sour peaches and lemon juice. slightly sweet pale wheat and a nice yeastiness. Sweet tart finish.

M- medium in body with a nice understated carb.

D- this is a beautifully put together wild ale. The layers of sweet and sour are amazing. I love this stuff.

2008 vintage. Batch# E!010

Pours into my glass a wonderfully clear golden yellow with super active carbonation that forms a cragly mountain of white foam on top of the brew. Aromas of crisp malts bathed in a wall of bright Brett and earthy barnyard accents. Grape and citrus fruit accents run throughout. Lemon zest as well.

First sip is a mix of bright fruit flavors and Brett with a crisp dryness throughout. Grape, citrus, lemon zest moving into a puckering tartness. A touch acidic with a nice barnyard funk kick. Flavors run all over the palate with a lingering tartness. Awesome brew.

Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing with fast moving carbonation. Goes down easily and is a pleasure to drink. Quite an exemplary wild ale here, not too funky and not too sour. Just packed full of flavor. Well worth seeking out.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage poured into tulip.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for this one.

A- This beer pours a hazy apricot with a half finger worth of head. It dies down slowly and leaves some spotty lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Big hints of wild yeast with nice fruity and grape notes. There is also a good amount of funk to it as well.

T- Starts out with good tartness with some sour grapes and a nice balance of funk. There is also some good yeast presence and a wine like character.

M- Lighter bodied with sparkling carbonation that tickles the tongue. Pretty dry on the finish and a little sour puckering.

O- This brew lives up to its billing. Great flavors with a nice sour bite to it all while maintaining great balance throughout. Get this if you can.

Batch: E!018

A: Pours a shiny light golden hue with a foamy top with tons of lacing. Very nice.

S: A heavy barnyard must melded with nice citrusy notes.

T: Nice complex taste that runs from a biting citrus front then the middle and back is almost perfectly sour. Just on the cusp of puckering making this extremely drinkable.

M: Light and everevescent.

D: See "T".

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle. 2011 batch. I've received bottles of this from AleWatcher and Palmej1. Huge thanks to both!

An aggressive pour yields a huge four finger head which threatens to overflow my glass. The foam recedes leaving a white coaster floating atop the golden hued brew. The nose is fruity and sour, almost champagne like. Taste opens with notes of sour green apples and barnyard funk. Mid-palate there's a nice tartness which sets up a refreshingly dry finish. The beer is medium bodied with a smooth, creamy texture. Brute is a wonderful example of an American Wild Ale. An almost perfect blend of tart, sour, funky flavors combined with an expertly crafted body make this brew a joy to imbibe. Highly recommended

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a cloudy super bright golden-yellow color with a big two-fingers of frothy white head. The head hangs around forever afterwards and eventually fades down to a still sizeable layer.

S - Aroma is a fine balance of tart and sour grape aromas. There is also some other fruity sweet background flavors, some malt and wheat, and just a touch of hops mixed in.

T - Starts off with a great mix of tart and sour grape flavor. There is a bit of malt in the background to provide just a hint of balance. Through the middle, the sour and tart flavors mingle back and forth with a bit of wheat flavor and other fruit esters. The finish is a mix of sour and tart grape flavors that mingle nicely.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The tart flavors really create a nice dry mouthfeel that also feels really crisp and refreshing. The sour and tart also linger nicely.

D - Very drinkable. It is amazing how rich the flavors are and how the beer avoids to feel overly heavy. The sour and tart flavors are very nicely balanced and keep that balance throughout.

Review from notes:

E!010 on the bottle.

Golden, lemonade-like pour. Pretty nice head, with good retention and some great lacing.

Tart, sour aroma and flavor. Lemon zest and white grape. The flavor is outstanding. It's pretty tart, but not overwhelming at any point. No sharpness, not vinegar-y. Fantastic.

Good lively carbonation, airy and light, as you'd expect from the blend of Champagne yeasts. Super easy drinker for a sour.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a nice opaque bright yellow. huge white head. outstanding retention and lacing.

S: huge aroma of brett. massive sour notes. tons of citrus.

T: like sex in a glass for me. great sours and brett flavors. an amazing wild ale. great pale malt flavors with a ton of sour citrus. lemons.

M: mild body. huge carbonation level. nice tart mouthfeel. very clean and crisp.

Corked and capped, batch E!018

A - hazy, indeed "turbid" light gold. 2 finger, quickly dissipating head with absolutely 0 lace. Perpetual carbonation.

S - hmmm, how do you describe a "sour" smell? strong odors of green apple skins, lemon, and fermentation.

T - matches the fantastic smell. strong green apple, lemon, and orange with a strong acidic bite accompanying the dry finish.

M - very nice and light gracias a the champagne yeast and high carbonation.

D - this is definitely a great sour, and one I will come back to. Not something made to drink all night, but excellent with food.

Brute from Ithaca Beer Company