1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brute - Ithaca Beer Company

BruteBrute

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.50% ABV

Brewed with vintage (aged) local hops, barley, wheat, corn, aged in oak with Brett and finished with three types of champagne yeast.

(Beer added by: albern on 06-22-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 768 | Reviews: 385 | Show All Ratings:
Shaggy9356

Batch# E!010
Nice glowing cloudy orange color with 1 cm ring of foam clinging around the edge of my Portsmouth tulip. Smell is brett funkiness and citrus... yum! Crisp with sourness upfront, followed by some lemon lime citrus, a gorgeous clean, dry finish. The carbonation level is maybe a little high, but works for the champagne characteristics. This beer can be enjoyed right away, now sure aging would help this one but would like to try it a year later anyway. Overall an absolute beauty from Ithaca. The best they've put out to date in my opinion and one that can hold its own against any wild sour.

03-29-2009 02:18:51 | More by Shaggy9356
DaggerEyes

4.68/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours beautifuly. Super fine champagne like carbonation a fizzy head that doesn't stick around too long. Hazy golden straw color with a thin white collar.

Funky vineous nose. Vinegar. Grapefruit, cideresque, a bit of lemon

crisp refreshing taste very much in line with what one would expect from the nose. Also some sour green apple and perhaps a bit of melon?

Medium thin mouthfeel. Fine bubbled carbonation. Dry finish.

Awesome beer.

09-04-2009 02:45:26 | More by DaggerEyes
DmanGTR

4.68/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to Chad and someone else for sharing this. An 08 and 09 comparison, of which I took nearly identical notes, so I'll just summarize.

Slightly cloudy, radiantly golden with a lovely white head in my Duvel tulip. Nice patches of lace.

A little bit of a white wine aroma, pleasing and a hint of Brettanomyces funkiness, but not over the top. The tartness cuts through the light aromas of peach, pear, green apple, and yeast.

Wonderfully tart and puckering. Muscat grapes, sour apples, touch of cranberry and pears. Yeasty, which I like. A very soft oak character. Not sure if it has been oak aged but it certainly has that quality. This is delicious and nearly unsurpassed thus far in my adventure in sour ales.

Creamy and light body, carbonation dances on the tongue. Wish it had a touch more body. Quite dry too.

Damn, this is a good beer. I just think it's a bit weird that it's brewed like 90 miles away from me and I can't get it here in NY.

12-28-2009 18:44:48 | More by DmanGTR
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a hazy golden with a relatively thin but tightly beaded head that sticks around. A nice golden glow to this beer. Smells acetic to start, then spicy oak, and then a more mellow creaminess on the finish. Very nice flavors here. Lots of big acetic notes. a slight touch of funk, big spicy oak, and some nice horseblanket notes. Outstanding. Prickly and very sour in the mouth, this beer is extremely refreshing. I really enjoyed on a late summer day in Atlanta.

09-11-2010 22:10:27 | More by Georgiabeer
Dobby

4.68/5  rDev +5.6%

750ml bottle poured into my Dixie Red Cup. Here's to being classy!

A: Hazy straw yellow with about a one finger head.

S: Lots of lemon/citrus notes, a little funk, some grass

T: Love this sour. Lots of lemon/citrus coming out, a good tart flavor overall.

M: Well carbonated. Sour but not too sour so it doesnt wreck the palate.

D: One of my favorite sours overall. I brought this on a trip with me so my non-BA friends could get a taste (hence the classy red cups). Everybody loved it, just wish I could get this locally!

05-09-2011 20:41:54 | More by Dobby
calise1122

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%

Was so excited to hear that a local store received a couple cases... I changed my plans instantly, headed down and loaded up. What a beautiful Spring Sunday and what a perfect beer to enjoy it with. Top it off that I just bottled my first batch of homebrew and it came out not just drinkable, but actually tasty!

I throw on shuffle all, and Stevie Wonder guides the way with Black Man from Songs in the Key of Life... and away we go.

As I watch it pour, it reminds me of the time I just crushed the heck out of green grapes... the color of the pour has that faintly green sort of hue to it as it finds the palm of the glass. But as the tart smelling juice spreads around the wine glass... it settles into a beautiful orangey golden color. Nice light head settles on top and caps off... leaving incredible lacing. It looks great, and as I attempt to use the Brute filled glass as a telescope, I realize that it is cloudy and thick and that the golden hue is deep and full and I can't see through it at all. And while this looks really really pretty... I can't dodge that sour amazing aroma.

My nose meets my hand and the glass halfway and I freeze... unable to move from this position because the smell is intoxicating. My fiancée walks in and gives me that look that I get when I geek out by myself with beer... you know the look... it's a mixture of confusion, doubt, humor all sewn together with respect and love... she shakes her head, laughs and walks out. I am still hunched over with my nose acting as a diving board on the rim of the glass. The brett is obvious, giving it that wet cat meets hockey equipment meets an old...

(Song change, Jeff Tweedy covering Dylan's "Simple Twist of Fate"... off the I'm Not There album... what a compilation)

...afghan blanket that has been tucked in the attic for to many years. The citric lemon, sour champagne smell is there as well... with a nice, fairly subtle but noticeable oak character. Man, that is a good smelling beer.

So, I have been into sours for a while now... and I often find myself at a bar like say, the Tiger, with a good pal that likes good beer, just doesn't seek it out or really buy it. The other day I was there with a great buddy from Chicago and the lady. I order three beers, let him try them all and pick his favorite... in the mix we had a sour. He decided to go with the Aventinus, thinking on first sip the sour was to much. A few minutes later he asked for another sip, then another... and after essentially drinking my entire beer explained; "it's like Tabasco... Not necessarily the taste I expect to want or like, but the more you have the more you need". I can't help but think that sums it up for me. I need it, and once I get that initial brett/sour taste I need more quick. Brute is incredibly dry and tart, leaving your mouth pleading for more...

(Song change, Lykke Li, "Complaint Department". Saw her a few months back and she was captivating, if you get the chance check her out)

...Citric, sour, lemon, orange, all under the umbrella of Brett and his manly mustiness... giving it that funk. Sour apple is really dominating at first, but it those other fruits start to poke their heads out more as it warms.

Brute is extremely carbonated giving it a great mouthfeel... reminds me of Cuvee de Castleton in its medium body, dry finish, yet incredibly full of carbination. It's the type of beer I could swish around my mouth for hours (or minutes, maybe a couple seconds)

Very...

(Song Change, now we get the real thing... Dylan, off of Blonde on Blonde, "I want you". Great song "The drunken politicians, leaps upon the street where mothers weep, and the saviors who are fast asleep... they wait for you.")

... very drinkable. It is so dry that it takes some resistance to slow down and enjoy each sip.

Overall, great, great beer. Ran into the brewer at a CL beer dinner and he said that he, at first, didn't think it was that good. It took his customers to let him know how damn good it was to start and feel confident behind it. Great offering, great beer, great Sunday

04-05-2009 17:40:34 | More by calise1122
Proteus93

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%

Courtesy of Bankhead.... this is an Ithaca beer in particular that I have wanted to check out for some time, and I'm glad to have finally had a chance to look into it.

A: Blonde, yet nothing but shadows appear through... it is so murky, the light works to make it through. Totally unfiltered, there is just no clarity here.

S: There's a tart fruitiness, but nothing that stands out in particular - mostly the peels of fairly fresh fruit - pear, apple, and even a little dash of peach. Wood aging doesn't appear to really add a whole lot of aroma

T: It's not often that I come across a sour that is quite so savoury. Mostly a sour apple, without being such a simplistic flavour. There is a soft taste of 'funk' in there, but not a whole lot of farmhouse flavours. Lemon, without being hugely citrus. It's a soft, complex beer. It is mouth watering and wonderful.

M + D: I am astounded by how well this beer has held up with age, how well it has been brewed, how pleasant it feels in general. There's s wonderfully pleasing dryness that takes a moment to make itself noticed - slightly delayed, yet appropriate. It's a highly accessible sour that I feel could be appealing to those who struggle with the style... even a potentially appropriate 'gateway,' yet it is brewed in such a way that the fans of 'more assertive' beers would be pleased. This is an excellent beer, one that I am pleased to have had the opportunity to have tried... I regret missing out on getting it earlier!

08-23-2009 02:35:59 | More by Proteus93
infestaxion

Batch E!010

A - Very hazy golden blonde with a fluffy white head that hangs around forever.

S - Very sour and funky. Lightly fruity. Kiwi maybe? Very nice. I wish they made candles that smelled like this.

T - Nice and tart. Very good sourness to it. That fruit smell is there in the background but very subdued. The funk is also not as noticeable in the taste as the smell. Very, very good.

M - It is very tingly. I love it.

D - I'm going to try very hard not to take down this whole 750 in the next 15 minutes.

In my opinion, this is easily one of the best American Wild Ales around. Happy birthday to me indeed.

08-23-2009 05:46:32 | More by infestaxion
KeefD

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%

Once again, another huge thanks go out to Knifestyles for this lovely treat!

Batch E!018

Pours a lovely golden color with light orange in the middle, hazy pineapple if you will, with an enormous white head that left some generous lacing all down the Tripel Karmeliet tulip. Looks perfect.

Aroma is a nice blend of funk, light leather, citrus, oak, and white wine acidity. I used to think I liked the nose of wild reds more than whites, but this opinion may be changing after the last two wilds I've tried.

Wonderful citric, tart flavor. Plenty of lemon, maybe some orange, and pineapple, oak, light bitterness, and very light sourness. I'm even picking up a little bit of peach and mango in there. Wow, this is tasty! There is some sweetness up front, but it quickly dries out on the finish. Beautiful balance in this beer between the lightly sweet malts, the wood, and the funky/tart brett flavors. It's definitely more tart than it is funky, but it's awfully delicious.

It's sour/tart but not puckeringly so. Plenty of carbonation, but it's very smooth. I mean, I can see a zillion tiny carb bubbles in the glass, but I can barely feel them on the tongue. This is exactly what I want in a wild as far as mouthfeel goes.

All around, this is a great beer. I only wish I could trade for more of these sours because I would love to see how they do with age.

Thanks once again, Chris, for providing me with another fantastic East Coast goodie!

11-20-2009 00:43:10 | More by KeefD
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%

Shared at my tasting on May 29, 2010.

Brute appears a light, golden hue with a tiny head that leaves no lacing, which isn't terribly surprising for a wild ale. Aromas of wild yeast, particularly brettanomyces, straw, and hay are wonderful and inviting. This is going to be a tasty beverage, I can tell. The taste is absolutely wonderful, and even exceeded my expectations based on the aroma. This beer is smooth and easy to drink. The feel is slightly thin, but not necessarily in a negative way. This is a really fantastic beer. Highly recommended.

06-24-2010 21:14:04 | More by Huhzubendah
Ambiorix

Kentucky

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%

A: A cloudy, golden pour, topped with a dense white head. Wonderful to look at and indicative of good things to come.

S: Sour, brettanomyces funk, barnyard, wet hay, lemon drops.

T: Intensely sour, lemongrass, barnyard funkiness, wonderful brett bitterness, spicy undertones.

M: Well carbonated, nicely dry finish.

D: A wonderful beer. Definitely one to seek after and hoard in your cellar when you can find it. My only gripe is the use of an artificial cork that is very difficult to remove. My trys with a butler's thief, which I use to good effect on natural corks, resulted in chipped glass, which was thankfully confined to the exterior of the bottle. I will use a conventional corkscrew next time, but no bottle should be this hard to open. Would much prefer a mushroom cork with a cage.

12-18-2010 16:40:03 | More by Ambiorix
fastsrt

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%

750 poured in a wine glass.

A: bright yellow, hazy, huge fluffy head that laces the glass as it mellows.

S: fuit, apples, grapes, oak

T: apples, lemon, oak, balanced to the point that I will keep going back for more

M: smooth, champaign like.

D: this bottle went down in minutes it was a truly amazing beer I have not been a big fan of sours, only been able to handle about 1 glass or so, untill this one.

02-21-2011 12:59:45 | More by fastsrt
mrand01

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%

750mL bottle labeled batch E!027 poured in to a generic Crate & Barrel tulip.

A: Golden, opaque. Thin head that stays thicker towards the rim of the pour. Sticky lacing.

S: Funk, citrus zest, tart. Spicy in some way, but very hard to place.

T: Again, I've never had such a hard time describing a beer. Everyone I was drinking with agreed that it's most likely the addition of corn that contributes to the sweet & savory taste, but it's very difficult to describe.

M: Medium bodied with a playful champagne-like carbonation.

O: Knockout brew from Ithaca. Really wish this was getting distributed again instead of becoming a brewery exclusive.

11-12-2011 16:34:13 | More by mrand01
cosmicevan

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%

surprised not to have a review for this one...must be in the backlog of notes? none-the-less opened E!037 and filled a russian river tulip.

a - brew poured a transparent yellow orange with visible champagne like carbonation. a massive bubbly head filled half the glass and slowly fizzled away leaving spotty but chunky lacing on the side of the glass. fairly frothy for all those bubbles.

s - wonderful tart. acidy citric peach and tropical fruit with a glaze of sour candy sweetness. you can almost smell the fizziness.

t - really well balanced and complex sour flavors. the perfect meld of fruitiness and sourness. the taste is really spot on. oaky. extremely refreshing. fruitiness is orange peel mixed with citrus with a hint of peaches and a tropical almost kiwi like splash to finish it off.

m - prickly carbonation. finishes a bit dry and bitter...just a BIT. easy drinker, light and thirst quenching...ideal for the current heat wave.

o - overall, i've always dug brute, but i forgot how great it is. this is truly one of the better sours out there. the balance is mind blowing. if you don't like over the top sours, but still enjoy sours, this is your beer. wonderful tropical fruit flavorings with a nice burst of sour. non offensive...really well crafted sour.

06-23-2012 00:45:15 | More by cosmicevan
paulthebeerguru

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a nice opaque bright yellow. huge white head. outstanding retention and lacing.

S: huge aroma of brett. massive sour notes. tons of citrus.

T: like sex in a glass for me. great sours and brett flavors. an amazing wild ale. great pale malt flavors with a ton of sour citrus. lemons.

M: mild body. huge carbonation level. nice tart mouthfeel. very clean and crisp.

04-12-2009 20:13:58 | More by paulthebeerguru
rhinos00

4.72/5  rDev +6.5%

Tasting with rye726 and ratman197. Beer #7 of 8. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a New Belgium snifter.

A- Pours a hazy, straw colored yellow. Very vibrant. Produced a thin white head.

S- Wow! Potent and spot on. Getting a strong farmhouse funk aroma, with some lemon zest and horse blanket. Lots of high acidic citrus aromas. Absolutely divine.

T- Giant cornucopia of oak, lemon, grapefruit, brett and acidic notes. Flavors were assertive and the sourness fell just short of mouthpuckering. Great stuff.

M- One of my favorite parts of the beer. Light mouthfeel. The carbonation gave an almost creamy texture to the beer. Quite unique.

D- Putting a 750 mL bottle of this would be so easy. And that's really hard to do with a lot of sours. I had my glass and I was begging for more.

Overall, what an amazing sour. Reminded a lot of Beatification and Isabelle, but better. Do yourself a favor and pick up a few bottles, you won't be disappointed.

06-21-2009 18:22:14 | More by rhinos00
Gyle41386

South Carolina

Review from notes:

E!010 on the bottle.

Golden, lemonade-like pour. Pretty nice head, with good retention and some great lacing.

Tart, sour aroma and flavor. Lemon zest and white grape. The flavor is outstanding. It's pretty tart, but not overwhelming at any point. No sharpness, not vinegar-y. Fantastic.

Good lively carbonation, airy and light, as you'd expect from the blend of Champagne yeasts. Super easy drinker for a sour.

08-28-2009 04:26:42 | More by Gyle41386
NYCWheatFanSC

Corked and capped, batch E!018

A - hazy, indeed "turbid" light gold. 2 finger, quickly dissipating head with absolutely 0 lace. Perpetual carbonation.

S - hmmm, how do you describe a "sour" smell? strong odors of green apple skins, lemon, and fermentation.

T - matches the fantastic smell. strong green apple, lemon, and orange with a strong acidic bite accompanying the dry finish.

M - very nice and light gracias a the champagne yeast and high carbonation.

D - this is definitely a great sour, and one I will come back to. Not something made to drink all night, but excellent with food.

11-07-2009 22:10:14 | More by NYCWheatFanSC
Popkas

Batch: E!018

A: Pours a shiny light golden hue with a foamy top with tons of lacing. Very nice.

S: A heavy barnyard must melded with nice citrusy notes.

T: Nice complex taste that runs from a biting citrus front then the middle and back is almost perfectly sour. Just on the cusp of puckering making this extremely drinkable.

M: Light and everevescent.

D: See "T".

01-24-2010 02:28:04 | More by Popkas
orbitalr0x

2008 vintage. Batch# E!010

Pours into my glass a wonderfully clear golden yellow with super active carbonation that forms a cragly mountain of white foam on top of the brew. Aromas of crisp malts bathed in a wall of bright Brett and earthy barnyard accents. Grape and citrus fruit accents run throughout. Lemon zest as well.

First sip is a mix of bright fruit flavors and Brett with a crisp dryness throughout. Grape, citrus, lemon zest moving into a puckering tartness. A touch acidic with a nice barnyard funk kick. Flavors run all over the palate with a lingering tartness. Awesome brew.

Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing with fast moving carbonation. Goes down easily and is a pleasure to drink. Quite an exemplary wild ale here, not too funky and not too sour. Just packed full of flavor. Well worth seeking out.

03-20-2010 04:03:13 | More by orbitalr0x
Wisconsinality

Wisconsin

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage poured into tulip.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for this one.

A- This beer pours a hazy apricot with a half finger worth of head. It dies down slowly and leaves some spotty lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Big hints of wild yeast with nice fruity and grape notes. There is also a good amount of funk to it as well.

T- Starts out with good tartness with some sour grapes and a nice balance of funk. There is also some good yeast presence and a wine like character.

M- Lighter bodied with sparkling carbonation that tickles the tongue. Pretty dry on the finish and a little sour puckering.

O- This brew lives up to its billing. Great flavors with a nice sour bite to it all while maintaining great balance throughout. Get this if you can.

04-05-2011 21:11:58 | More by Wisconsinality
ngeunit1

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a cloudy super bright golden-yellow color with a big two-fingers of frothy white head. The head hangs around forever afterwards and eventually fades down to a still sizeable layer.

S - Aroma is a fine balance of tart and sour grape aromas. There is also some other fruity sweet background flavors, some malt and wheat, and just a touch of hops mixed in.

T - Starts off with a great mix of tart and sour grape flavor. There is a bit of malt in the background to provide just a hint of balance. Through the middle, the sour and tart flavors mingle back and forth with a bit of wheat flavor and other fruit esters. The finish is a mix of sour and tart grape flavors that mingle nicely.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The tart flavors really create a nice dry mouthfeel that also feels really crisp and refreshing. The sour and tart also linger nicely.

D - Very drinkable. It is amazing how rich the flavors are and how the beer avoids to feel overly heavy. The sour and tart flavors are very nicely balanced and keep that balance throughout.

05-26-2011 03:11:50 | More by ngeunit1
Sideswipe

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle. 2011 batch. I've received bottles of this from AleWatcher and Palmej1. Huge thanks to both!

An aggressive pour yields a huge four finger head which threatens to overflow my glass. The foam recedes leaving a white coaster floating atop the golden hued brew. The nose is fruity and sour, almost champagne like. Taste opens with notes of sour green apples and barnyard funk. Mid-palate there's a nice tartness which sets up a refreshingly dry finish. The beer is medium bodied with a smooth, creamy texture. Brute is a wonderful example of an American Wild Ale. An almost perfect blend of tart, sour, funky flavors combined with an expertly crafted body make this brew a joy to imbibe. Highly recommended

02-06-2012 00:56:53 | More by Sideswipe
everetends

Alabama

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

750ml bottle sent to me by the great Lum. I have heard him and the rest of the LNBA crew that have enjoyed this pimp the hell out of it, and I am stoked to have the chance. Served up in a tulip. Batch # E!010

A: First off this beer is capped and corked. Once you uncork this fool, you get a huge pop. Have to be careful when you pour this sweetheart because she foams easily. Slow pour got me a huge white, foamy head. Head has decent retention and doesn't really ever go away, only falling to a completely solid top cap that produces some spotty lacing. The body is a really pretty hazy, sunny yellow color that shine brighter when held to the light. Lots of carbonation steadily streams from the bottom of the glass. Really pretty beer.

S: My goodness does this lady wear a fine perfume. As soon as you pop that cork, a massive amount of aroma fills the area and really gives you a treat. There is first a foremost a really dank ass musty, musky scent coming out. Then comes all that sweet ass and sour ass fruity goodness. Sour, sweet and tart fruits. Green apple, grape, melon, pear, lemon, orange. All of these are in here. There is a slight and sweet vinegar smell coming out as well. Then, comes a bit of wood (oak) and earthiness (a barn full of hay). This is just great.

T: Man is this a tart and tasty little lady. The fruits take center stage, no teasing whatsoever, just full on entertainment. The sweet and sour green apple. Sweet melon, zesty lemon, sugary and tart pear. Grapefruit pucker. Grapes all over this with a nice white wine tartness. Stupid amount of fruit goodness. There is an apple cider vinegar presence that is slightly vinegary but still adds to the fruity sweetness in here. The barnyard funk is here as well with some dirty hay and a touch of salty leather. It can't get much better than this. I would give it a 5 but my experience with Wild Ales is minimal, so I will give the others the benefit of the doubt but I don't think it can get any better.

M: This is a medium bodied brew that has just a high carbonation crispness that doesn't stop. The beer is just so damned light and bubbly on the palate and tingles on the way down. ABV is low and doesn't even play a factor in here. The beer is very light on the palate and doesn't linger too long but doesn't leave too early. All those fruits come out in the aftertaste and allow you to thoroughly explore this crazy good beer.

D: This beer is amazing. Hands down, amazing. This beer is an incredible achievement and it is successful in all categories. This beer is just so complex, yet easy to drink and enjoy. This is one of those beers you pop for nonbelievers, serve up in wine glasses, let them enjoy, and then BAM, "Thats a beer, bitches!". No one will believe you. Just a powerful and beautiful brew that goes down so easy I had to keep myself in check and from gulping this down. This 750 will be savored and then mourned once it is killed. I envy those in and near Ithaca. Thanks, Paul.

02-18-2009 05:36:28 | More by everetends
rye726

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

Shared with rhinos00 and ratman197.

Pours a hazy straw with a fizzy white head. Settles to a thin cover with subtle lacing.

Fantastic nose of horse blanket, damp soil, manure, oak, tart citrus, candy malts, subtle floral hops and white wine.

Taste is also quite complex and maintains perfect balance. Funky barnyard yeast presence over lemon, grapefruit, fruity malts, oak and quiet hops.

Crisp body is delicately carbonated. Could enjoy this beauty anytime.

06-22-2009 23:27:05 | More by rye726