Brute - Ithaca Beer Company

Wants: 1,132
Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.50% ABV

Brewed with vintage (aged) local hops, barley, wheat, corn, aged in oak with Brett and finished with three types of champagne yeast.

(Beer added by: albern on 06-22-2008)
4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a flute. Big thanks to nyrangerfan for including this as an EXTRA!

4.0 A: Murky light yellow straw color. Three fingers of frothy white head. Most of it falls quickly, but the last 1/4 inch sticks around for a good while. Minimal lacing.

4.5 S: Pleasant lemony tartness hits first. Overripe peachy esters and some straw. Lots of brett funkiness. Hints of some phenols.

4.0 T: The first sip really hits you with how tart it is. The tartness is amplified by the fact that it is super dry. Lemon and peach fruitiness again. Not as much brett funk as I would have expected, but like I already said, there is plenty of sourness. Oak comes through on finish. Peppery phenols.

4.5 M: Light-medium body. Healthy dose of spritzy carbonation that rolls over the tongue. Surprisingly creamy. Very nice.

4.5 D: Really nice beer. Would like to get some more of these and age them for a while.

DavoleBomb, Dec 05, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +11%

750ml at turkeyday. One of my all time favorites, poured into my Portsmouth tulip. Nice hazy golden color with great lacing, reminds me of liquid gold. Aromas are sour and earthy with plenty of funk, it literally made my mouth water. First sip is crazy not crazy sour but enough to put it over the edge. Citrus acidity and mindblowing sour makes the finish dry. More please!

Cakanator, Dec 02, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

Batch # E!0I0, $14.99 @ Cable bev. in Bardonia, NY. Large bottle, capped and plastic corked. Pours hazy yellowy medium amber, the head initially is HUGE, light and fluffy with lots of air in it, nice retention shown, then a light whispy film and collar a slippery thicker lacing. I get some earthy mustyness in the nose and perhaps some light citrus. Yummy wild ale, with more then a moderate sour bite. I get plenty of lime, light barnyard, bracing tartness. Thirst quenching, palate cleansing, thoroughly pleasing AWA.

Billolick, Nov 30, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle pours cloudy yellow with a thin white head. Aroma is wonderful brette with some tart smells and woody notes. Body is medium to almost thin. This is highly carbonated. Flavor is funky wood, lemon, with a nice tart flavor that is smooth on the finish. Very crisp. Overall this was a nice brew. I enjoyed it very much.

fiver29, Nov 21, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +5.9%

Once again, another huge thanks go out to Knifestyles for this lovely treat!

Batch E!018

Pours a lovely golden color with light orange in the middle, hazy pineapple if you will, with an enormous white head that left some generous lacing all down the Tripel Karmeliet tulip. Looks perfect.

Aroma is a nice blend of funk, light leather, citrus, oak, and white wine acidity. I used to think I liked the nose of wild reds more than whites, but this opinion may be changing after the last two wilds I've tried.

Wonderful citric, tart flavor. Plenty of lemon, maybe some orange, and pineapple, oak, light bitterness, and very light sourness. I'm even picking up a little bit of peach and mango in there. Wow, this is tasty! There is some sweetness up front, but it quickly dries out on the finish. Beautiful balance in this beer between the lightly sweet malts, the wood, and the funky/tart brett flavors. It's definitely more tart than it is funky, but it's awfully delicious.

It's sour/tart but not puckeringly so. Plenty of carbonation, but it's very smooth. I mean, I can see a zillion tiny carb bubbles in the glass, but I can barely feel them on the tongue. This is exactly what I want in a wild as far as mouthfeel goes.

All around, this is a great beer. I only wish I could trade for more of these sours because I would love to see how they do with age.

Thanks once again, Chris, for providing me with another fantastic East Coast goodie!

KeefD, Nov 20, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Batch #E!018 on the bottle. Received in a trade from JayOh. Thanks Tim!

A: Pours an extremely murky straw color (with the milky look of an unfiltered hefeweizen) that thickens to golden in the center of the glass. Active effervescence up the sides signals that this beer is lively, but I already picked up on that from the huge, fluffy off-white head that filled most of the glass in a short pour. It subsided in a minute or so into a film on top of the brew. No lacing that sticks, but it does coat the glass nicely in bubbles whenever I sip.

S: Tart, with white wine grapes, green apples, lemon, leather, and earth. Very tantalizing.

T: Tart white grapes and lemon set the tone up front. They gradually give way to oak and green apple, with a noticeable undercurrent of leather and sweat. I'm guessing this is the brett contribution; not as much barnyard funk as I was expecting. Interesting development. Lactic sourness throughout, but it plays second fiddle to the tartness -- I'd love to see this stepped up. It's not very acetic, either. Oak and spice in the finish. It's nicely balanced; no flaws, very tasty.

M: Tart, lighly sour, with a semi-dry finish. Despite the fine bubbles, it rolls pleasantly across the palate without stinging. The overall effect is of a light white wine.

D: Not as much sourness as I had hoped, but it captures the right level of tartness and dryness that I enjoy. I don't plan to seek this out actively in the future, given that I can find some local sours that fit my preferences better. Nonetheless, I wouldn't turn it down in a future trade if I heard they made some tweaks while going along.

Arbitrator, Nov 19, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

Corked and capped 750ml. bottle, batch E!018.
Poured into our Portsmouth tulip glasses:

A: An opaque pale orange body with a once towering white head, that quickly vanished leaving just a lace covering the surface. There is a beautiful effervescent carbonation rising ever so fast bringing streams of bubbles to the top.

S: Lots of champagne yeast, with tart green apple, and orange peel. Hint of banana with a touch of oak.

T: White grapes, champagne yeast, banana, and unripened tree fruits like apricots, apples and pears make up this sour/sweet mesh. The Brute causes you to clench your jaw, as the sides of your tongue squirm salivating for more.

M: Light bodied and extremely carbonated from the champagne yeast. Very refreshing brew.

D: From the popping of the cork to the last drops in our glasses. The Brute had our full attention... Highly recommended.

Cheers,
The Kings Of Hop

TheKingsOfHop, Nov 16, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -7%

Got this bottle in a trade from newtonty, thanks!

A - golden pale with a thick creamy white head. Looks so soft, I want to lay in it.

S - very minmal. Light sour smell, but not much else.

T - starts off rather spur, then the sourness subdues. Taste turns sweet and hints of orange come through. Very pleasant taste and flavor profile.

M - very smooth, creamy, and a dry quick mouthfeel. The carbonation is medium and perfect. Mouthfeel is great.

D - this beer is very light compared to other wild Ales and the fact that it is in overly carbonated makes this a very drinkable beer. The flavor and mouthfeel comebine to make you wanting more.

abecall98, Nov 12, 2009

Batch E!018 poured from bottle into a snifter

A- Looks like everything I want in an American Wild. Hazy golden in color with a puffy 3-finger white head that leaves a nice thick, splotchy lacing and doesn't recede too quickly.

S- Nice lemony, tart acidity. Some vinegar on the tail end. Mustiness from the oak. Smell of alcohol and white grapes that's not quite white wine. As it warms and with swirling, a distinct funk comes out from the brett, but this is definitely not the predominate aroma.

T- The acidic sourness hits my cheeks near the molars before I can taste anything, what I call the "smile receptors"...a good sour makes you smile (though this alone is not a definitive indication.) Generally, I get an amalgamation of tart fruits from american wilds, but this seems to be heavy on the lemony/citric sourness. I definitely get lemon peel as well (i.e. a slight bitterness) and maybe some faint orange peel. The oak definitely plays a part, I think I would almost call it a vanilla flavor (which I often get in oaked stouts, but not as much in oak-aged sours.) The sourness really flattens out/subsides as I keep drinking (which is obviously partly due to the havoc wreaked on the palate), but also giving way to a slight funk and then a rather simple, smooth finish. Also, I do get some green apple after sipping on it for awhile

M- Great carbonation (probably from the 3 strains of champagne yeast.) Nice and crisp on the tongue. Not too thin either.

D- A great sour. This is the third bottle I've been able to try and my favorite tasting of this beer so far. Not sure that it has gotten more sour yet, but sitting down with a bottle to review it definitely allowed me to realize things about this beer that I may have overlooked in the past. Not at all difficult to drink a 750mL by myself. A great beer to sip on.

mbudner, Nov 12, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Batch # E!010, from Buckeyesox and enjoyed in his memory (you're missed Dev). From the label: "Brewed with vintage local hops, American barley, wheat, and corn, Brute is fermented on oak for many months with Brettanomyces, then finished with a blend of three champagne yeasts".

The beer is hazy, pale yellow color, with about 3+ fingers of white foam that retains for about forever. The aroma is tart and fruity, kind of like white wine but a little sweeter. The taste both meets my expectations and surprises me a little all at once. I expected a sour bite but was unprepared for the bracing tartness with which this beer presents itself. None of the sweetness from the aroma comes through, really this is so sour and puckering that it shocked me. I love this style of beer but this tasted less funky than what you might expect, none of the horseblanket or grass or musty whatnot, just all the sour turned to 11. A strong white wine might be the best descriptor after all, a bit dry and more bitter than sweet. Or maybe not bitter at all, just acidic.

Despite those descriptions this is really very good, a nice achievement in brewing. We're at a lucky time in American brewing, many craft breweries are now experimenting with Brett, it wasn't that long ago that you only had some Belgian breweries and maybe Russian River to go to for these flavors. Here's to hoping that even more breweries go for it in the future.

TurdFurgison, Nov 08, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Corked and capped, batch E!018

A - hazy, indeed "turbid" light gold. 2 finger, quickly dissipating head with absolutely 0 lace. Perpetual carbonation.

S - hmmm, how do you describe a "sour" smell? strong odors of green apple skins, lemon, and fermentation.

T - matches the fantastic smell. strong green apple, lemon, and orange with a strong acidic bite accompanying the dry finish.

M - very nice and light gracias a the champagne yeast and high carbonation.

D - this is definitely a great sour, and one I will come back to. Not something made to drink all night, but excellent with food.

NYCWheatFanSC, Nov 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -5%

After a long day at the office I decided it was time to open one of my 'special' bottles. 750 ml corked and capped bottle poured into a tulip. 2008 bottle received in a recent trade. From 11/05/09 notes.

Very hazy (verging on cloudy) pale yellow-orange body with a nice sized bright and fluffy white head that fades fairly quickly to small crown. Very good for the style, these aren't always the prettiest beers but this is an exception.

Aromas of tart apples, sour bread, light brett earthiness, oak, and a clean dry wine-like finish; all in fairly equal parts. Very nuanced and pleasantly balanced for the most part. I'm getting a somewhat cheesy old hop aroma in there as well, reminiscent of some vintage lambics I've tried.

Flavor profile not as sour or funky as expected. After some initial pungency this is pretty clean. Some musty earthiness and tart fruit cuts through mid sip though, followed by a very smooth dry aftertaste. As it warms gets a little more earthy and tart but it seems they were shooting for something much lighter and cleaner than many other American Wild Ales.

Body is light by design but might be a little too thin for my tastes. Fine carbonation is very nice though. Pretty easy drinking ale.

Overall this is an enjoyable and refreshing change of pace for the style. Brett is very subdued compared to my favorites of the style which drops it just slightly behind ales like RR Temptation or Allagash Confluence but still a very solid and unique beer. Might be a regular if it were more easily available in my area.

berkey, Nov 06, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +10.4%

Got in a trade with johnnnniee - many, many thanks as usual! Poured from a 750ml bottle with a yellow plastic cork (1st for that) under the crown. No date but batch E! 018 which just came out so it's fresh. It was a hazy golden yellow color with large amounts of carb streams. It had a massive fluffy white head that slowly settled to a constant foam fed by the carb. Quick sliding lace that didn't stick.

The aroma is amazingly good. Great brett slap in the face backed up with fruit and oak. A little more barnyard and this would be perfect. As is, it's a constant sniffer. The taste was exceptional. The sour is dominant but the fruit and oak also come through for a great balance. One of the best tasting wild ales out there. great tart bite from the start that finishes just shy of a pucker. Semi dry finish. Mouthfeel is crisp with carb and sour bites.

Overall, an outstanding wild ale that I highly recommend. Near perfect in all areas and worthy of the hype. I could drink this one anytime, anywhere. Now, I've just got to find some more! Rotation: not avail here - got in trade. If avail here would be heavy hitter. As is, need to find some more and/or roadtrip.

TexIndy, Nov 05, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured this 750 mL brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. BAtch E!010, I have had this one about a year. The black artificial cork came out with a small pop. The huge head was crisp white and it lingered forever. Streaks of lace stuck to the sides. The body was bright golden and clear. On the second pour it became murkier.

Smell was of a damp basement. Powdery. Mildly yeasty. Aroma was not pronounced.

Taste was sweet lemony tartness. Nice big flavors. Peppercorns and drying woodiness. I love this character in a beer. Organic leafiness. Mild yeasts. Ginger. Juicy fruit. Green apple peel. Honeydew. Some sweetness remains in the aftertaste, however, the woody dryness is predominant. One of the best I've tasted!

Mouthfeel was prickly and effervescent. Medium in body but very light, evaporating-like texture. Very champagne-like. I love this beer.

Cresant, Oct 31, 2009

Pours light hazy orange in color with a fizzy white head. Smells sour and citrusy. Tastes of lemon, citrus, funk and oak. The mouthfeel is highly carbonated and tickles the taste buds. Drinkability is good, I had no trouble finishing the bottle. Overall top notch for the style.

johnd513, Oct 28, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -7%

Poured from 750 ml corked bottle into pint glass.

Batch# E!010

This really is best served on the colder side, right out of the fridge. The sourness decreased as the temperature increased.

A: Pours a turbid golden hue with a nice big and fluffy white head that sparkles and fizzes as you pour it into your glass. The head thins down to a thin white cap and leaves no lacing.

S: You can smell how sour this one is! Notes of citrusy tartness.

T: Tastes incredibly sour. Pretty funky as well, truly tastes like what I'd imagine an American Lambic to taste like. Finishes pretty clean and and along with the tartness, leaves a citrusy lemon flavor as well as a tad bit of dryness. The Brettanomyces provides an excellent mouth puckering tartness that leaves your tongue craving more.

M/D: This one has the body of a wheat and the carbonation of a champagne thanks to the blend of three champagne yeasts as indicated on the bottle.

TheViolator666, Oct 26, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -5.9%

Batch E!010

Pours a nice, and very hazy, deep yellow or golden color. Lots of carbonation, as expected, and a very nice head. The head is pretty big fizzy from all the carbonation.

Smell is tart and acidic. Yeast and spices come through as well as possibly some notes of citrus. The tartness is definitely most present though, that brett yeast isn't hiding.

This beer hits the palate with lots of fizzy and tickling carbonation. Very tart up front and throughout. The finish is slightly citrus-like and dry. No hop flavor comes through.

Overall, very light, crisp and refreshing with huge flavor. Very drinkable at about 7%.

ClevoPiwo, Oct 23, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

I got the last beer out of the keg last night at the end of the weekend of TJ's East Coast/West Coast Throwdown. What lucky break! Reviewing from my notes...

A: Pours a pale hazy orangey amber color with a nice cap of 1cm thick frothy head. Thin delicate laces appear on the sides of my tulip as I drink.

S: Completely devoid of horseblanket, this beer's aroma is big and funky. The sourness is incredible, and it makes my nostrils pucker as I enjoy the aroma. There are some wispy notes of citrus, but the sour dominates.

T: The funky sour tangy taste melds nicely with an almost oakey flavor. this is combined with the citrusy flavors of lemon and apricot.

M/D: The initial feeling is a tingly sour sensation that envelops the tongue and insides of my cheeks. Carbonation gives way to a dry, almost acidic finish. Very nicely textured, light but not thin. I wish there was a bit more fruity flavor to this to keep my going, but overall, this is a great beer. I wish there was more, but I will take my last glass and be happy. I would love to have this with a bit of age on it in my cellar, so I may be looking for a bottle soon.

NittanyBeerFan, Oct 20, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at NotF, had me a few glasses of this gem. Need to get some bottles.

Pours a cloudy yellow, almost a honey colour, thin white head forms, settles down to a solid ring, no real lacing.

Smell is amazing, very sour and funky, lots of lemon, charred wood, vanilla, oak, apricots and light fruit, good malty middle, lots of acidity.

Taste is great too, a bit of a weird and hard to place fruity sourness, lemons, wood, big and malty funky middle, light on the acidity but very sour in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. One of the more drinkable sours, tons of character and funk but quite drinkable.

Viggo, Oct 19, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A: Poured a vigorous 1 finger creamy white head with excellent retention. Brew itself was a cloudy lemon. Lacing was almost non-existent and spotty at best.

S: Earthy sour nose with generous whiffs of wooden barrels and an almost farmhouse-like smell.

T: Starts off soft and transitions to a nice mellow sweetness that develops into an intense tart flavor. Finish becomes sweet again as the sourness fades.

M: Light to medium bodied and very coarse. Finish is dry but a sour mouthfeel lingers in the aftertaste.

D: Really intense sourness takes away from the drinkability but the flavor is so complex and develops so well, it keeps you coming back for more.

SpeedwayJim, Oct 19, 2009

on tap at TJs...
Appears a hazy light straw toned gold. Acfluffy white cap slowly fades into a mild head. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of vanilla, light oak, lemon zest, light funk, and earthiness.
Taste is of the aromas with an apple flavor and dry white wine flavor pulling through. Delicious stuff.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, salty, sweet, fruity, funky, and tart. Citrusy, tart, and dry.

weeare138, Oct 18, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +4.7%

I am ringing in a new era with this one. 750mL magnum to tulip. Four of them, to be exact.

A: Cloudy straw golden, very active and bubbly throughout the body. The head is white and foamy, filling up much of the tulip quickly. Decent retention for the style, in the way of a foamy cap. No lacing.
S: Pungent aromas of sour apple, citrus (mostly lemon). Tart and exciting! I don't get a lot of grainy malt here. The brett and oak give off such wonderful aromas. The nose somewhat reminds me of riesling, grapes and other awesome fruits.
T: Tart and tart, at first anyways. A more subtle apple than expected from the nose. LOTS of lemon emphasized, both the fruity insides and the bitterness from the zest. I get earthy tones as well, but clean and more grass-like than dirt. Faint wood and mustiness from the oak.
M: Medium body with medium carbonation. A nice mouthfeel to complement an incredible beer.
D: One of the most drinkable sours, while not compromising on puckery goodness. I drank this whole bottle myself over roughly 7 hours, but I'd crack this open for a special occasion with friends any day.

washburnkid, Oct 16, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bottle in a tulip glass at Jose Pistolas @ their Ithaca event

Pours a light champagne color, highly ephervesint good size head, beautiful beer.

Citrus and light fruit dominate the nose, lemon, lime, peach, grape, apple. A Cava-like wine note appears, with an oak hint at the end. A hint of spice too.

Spectacular - citrus, pepper, light fruit, herbal, delightful. Really strong carbonation lift the flavors out, light in the mouth, dry on the tounge. Emmesily pleasable.

Perfectly balance, dry, crisp, lots of flavor, one of the best drinking beers I have ever had.

mhatters, Oct 11, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

Batch 1. Poured from 750ml bottle on 10/5/09, courtesy of BA Tanger.

A - Cloudy, unfiltered and cider-esque appearance with half a finger's width of bubbly white head and fizzy carbonation.

S - Sour green apples (think Granny Smith) with some citrus notes. Lots of fruity esters and some spicy notes from the Champagne yeast. Funky and earthy notes are very subtle in the aroma.

T - Initial flavor is very cider-like with a dominant sour apple character. Citrus notes are also apparent, but take a back seat to the tartness of the apples. Sour grapes, perhaps? Some faint earthy hops appear in the backend, but overall this is not bitter at all. A tart, champagne-esque quality and oaky dryness dominates the flavor.

M - Light to medium bodied with fizzy carbonation and a syrupy texture. Fairly astringent on the palate. Finish is crisp and dry, and extremely tart on the palate.

D - Very nice Wild Ale with a pleasant tartness. Brute is quite complex, yet it maintains its drinkability quite nicely.

ffejherb, Oct 07, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +2.5%

Batch E! 018
Brought this back from the brewery on a recent NY trip.
Pours a slightly hazy golden straw color with a huge fluffy white head that sticks around forever. Aroma is fruity and funky and phenolic mmm mmm mmm. Light citrus, strawberry, and raspberry aromas being bullied about by some barnyard funk. The taste is lemony sour at first then you get some of the passion fruit, sour cherries, and tart acidic raspberries. Lemons and sour green apples kick in before the dryness moves in and leaves a lingering sour patch kids taste on your palette. Carbonation is crisp, medium body, puckering mouthfeel. Wow this is good! Makes me wish I hadn't traded two of these away.

johnnnniee, Oct 03, 2009