Brute - Ithaca Beer Company

Wants: 1,131
Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.50% ABV

Brewed with vintage (aged) local hops, barley, wheat, corn, aged in oak with Brett and finished with three types of champagne yeast.

(Beer added by: albern on 06-22-2008)
SpruceFish

Burkina Faso

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%

A- very cloudy yellow white billowing head and a white lacing around the glass

S-tart funk horse blanket the funk is amazing i would think this is was gueuze if i didnt know the sour is very pronounced and lemon grass

T- wow so tart and funky i love it i feel like im drinking gueuze there is no vinegar to this at all so funky horse blanket all over the place this is the best American wild i have ever had the brett come this so nicely

M- perfect carbonation medium body

D- i think im going to drink this hole bottle soooo smooth

notes- i have to say this brings amrican sours to a hole new lever

05-06-2009 03:57:23 | More by SpruceFish
BARFLYB

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

750ml corked bottle into a large wine glass. Batch 10 in the excelsior series. Thanks goes out to Goryskhewych for the bottle in a trade. I tried a sample of this in a bottle before and had it on tap, I just cant get enough of this stuff.

A- Taking out the cork. Brute pours a bright golden color with some spots of yellow. Brute has a cloudy appearance from all that was put into making it. A nice streamed pour yielded little to no head but what was there was white and fizzy. A nice golden color in sight. This is very gueze like in presense and looks great in the wine glass.

S- Sweet sour heaven. Not sweet in that sense but scents of barnyard and funk mixed with various types of yeast(champagne variety) making for a wonderful nose. Getting a lot of brett aroma's telling me this was expertly innoculated. Getting some citrus notes as brute opens up and does its thing. A great smelling beer to sum up.

T- I first had a 2oz sample of this a while ago and i've been searching for this since since it wowed me, and brute did it again. I simply am in awe over this and need more. A nice innoculated golden ale with funky brett and champagne yeast, what's not to love? The champagne yeast used really gives brute a face of it's own in an ever increasing sour market. Brute is funky with barnyard written all over it. Some earthy and floral qualitys with some sour green apple thrown in as well. Simple but elegant.

M- Crisp and very nicely carbonated. Brute has it all. A nice mouth puckering sourness that's not overkill, well at least not for me. This is very light bodied and has a good nice dry finish. This almost reminded me of wine sometimes and has a similar profile to temptation IMO. A great beer to pair with cheese, meat, lamb, whatever.

D- A low abv and a great taste make this an exceptional sour in my book. The mouthfeel is also to die for. I would drink a bottle of this to myself no problem and now that Brute is getting some distribution I very well may do that. I cant wait for the next batch. I will say this, Brute is my favorite east coast sour by far. Congratz Ithaca!

04-29-2009 18:10:46 | More by BARFLYB
francisweizen

Alaska

3.53/5  rDev -20.5%

Fiery golden
laced with brett
this beer is certainly a threat
sticky lace

hints of other fruit
maybe cherry ?

Mouthfeel spritzy
taste is weak
not enough funk for this here freak

Drinkability is good
should you try this?
Yes you should
but it's certainly not the best
but for an American wild it passed the test

04-29-2009 18:05:38 | More by francisweizen
Gmann

3.88/5  rDev -12.6%

From a 750ml corked, capped, and foiled bottle. Pours a bright golden straw color with a soapy pure white head that dissipated into a light ring. The aroma is of dry champagne grapes and tart lemon concentrate. The taste is of lemon, unripe green apples, champagne, perhaps an unripen cherry as well. I don't pick up much in the way of malt or hops. The sour and tart characteristics hit me right in the back of the jaw. The feel is light and ultra fizzy; sour and tart all over the place. I don't have much experience with the style and its not one of my favorite styles. However, Ithaca seems to nail down the style. Very champagne like with a good punch of tartness. Clean and crisp.

04-26-2009 02:41:29 | More by Gmann
tendermorsel

4.63/5  rDev +4.3%

I was lucky enough to score some of this wonderful beer on tap at Deep Ellum during craft brewers week.

Straw yellow colored with a fluffy long lasting head. Very sexy looking beer.

The smell was not as funky as I would have expected but it may have more to do with the crowded bar than the beer.

Wonderful sour flavor. A near prefect balance of lactic sourness and barnyard funk. Quite a pleasant finish and extremly drinkable.

This is an AWESOME sour. It would stand up to any American Wild Ales I have ever had. I have a few bottles tucked away and can't wait to try the bottled verison with a few months on it.

Highly reccomended if you are down with the funk

04-24-2009 19:45:58 | More by tendermorsel
gregc

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle

Pours a cloudy yellowish color with a nice white head.
Aroma hits you as you pour it. Nice sour lemon, brett funk, and i get a trace of the aged hops used in this beer.
Taste is wonderful, its full or brett and lacto funk, sour lemons, nice balance, and again i taste a small amount of the aged hops.
Beautiful carbonation, very champagne like. Very drinkable, this is up there on my favorite sour list.

04-23-2009 16:44:53 | More by gregc
paulthebeerguru

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%

A: pours a nice opaque bright yellow. huge white head. outstanding retention and lacing.

S: huge aroma of brett. massive sour notes. tons of citrus.

T: like sex in a glass for me. great sours and brett flavors. an amazing wild ale. great pale malt flavors with a ton of sour citrus. lemons.

M: mild body. huge carbonation level. nice tart mouthfeel. very clean and crisp.

04-12-2009 20:13:58 | More by paulthebeerguru
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.83/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle into red wine glass.

Pours a a light, orangey-gold, warm glow, cloudy with lots of effervescence. 3-finger fluffy white head that recedes into a dense white cap, which eventually thins into a soapy white layer. Sticks to the walls of the glass nicely.

Poured straight out of the fridge, but allowed to warm quite a bit before tasting.

At cellar temp or a bit below:

Nose comes through with green apple skins, some mellow but vivid earthy barnyard funk, hints of tropical fruits, vanilla, and bright citrus. Maybe a bit of white grape skins in there as well. So clean and well balanced though, while still holding on to just enough beautiful musty earthiness from the brett.

Taste is beautifully crisp, tart, dry up front, big explosion of sharp carbonation still can't hide the lemon and green apple notes entirely. The flavors explode around mid palate - again, lemony citrus and green apple are front and center, quite sour, with a lingering finish that's clean and crisp, yet still carries with it a hint of the earthy funk. There's a subtle cidery apple presence on the finish that is fantastic. The flavors are so snappy, they just seem to pop.

Edit: the very last glass was, I think, just a bit warm for this particular beer, and the earthy barnyard really came alive in it, with a bit of wet leather coming out as well. Green apple recedes, lemony citrus sourness remains. I preferred it just a hair cooler to get those amazing fruit notes, but even now, the beer is spectacular.

Mouthfeel is light and sparkling - effervescent and spritzy. Big champagne-like carbonation over a light, refreshing body.

God, I can't wait for the next batch of this beast to be released. Spectacular.

04-10-2009 20:07:51 | More by JohnQVegas
DrDogbeer

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Absolutely stoked to see this on the shelves of the local store last week. Had it at a tasting last year courtesy of Warriorsoul, but this is based on the bottle I had all to myself last week :-)

Poured onto a dogfish snifter- pours a straw yellow with a champagne-like white bubbly head. Tons of fun funk in the aroma. I got some chardonnay, sour fruits, funk and a bit of oak to boot. Love the golden sour ales- I dig on the whole white wine-like taste and this is what you get here. SOme sour apple and vinegar, but it is not overpowering. Great lively, fizzy mouthfeel. Dry finish. Definitely puckered up by the end of this one, but extremely drinkable. Love this beer!

04-07-2009 01:01:49 | More by DrDogbeer
calise1122

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%

Was so excited to hear that a local store received a couple cases... I changed my plans instantly, headed down and loaded up. What a beautiful Spring Sunday and what a perfect beer to enjoy it with. Top it off that I just bottled my first batch of homebrew and it came out not just drinkable, but actually tasty!

I throw on shuffle all, and Stevie Wonder guides the way with Black Man from Songs in the Key of Life... and away we go.

As I watch it pour, it reminds me of the time I just crushed the heck out of green grapes... the color of the pour has that faintly green sort of hue to it as it finds the palm of the glass. But as the tart smelling juice spreads around the wine glass... it settles into a beautiful orangey golden color. Nice light head settles on top and caps off... leaving incredible lacing. It looks great, and as I attempt to use the Brute filled glass as a telescope, I realize that it is cloudy and thick and that the golden hue is deep and full and I can't see through it at all. And while this looks really really pretty... I can't dodge that sour amazing aroma.

My nose meets my hand and the glass halfway and I freeze... unable to move from this position because the smell is intoxicating. My fiancée walks in and gives me that look that I get when I geek out by myself with beer... you know the look... it's a mixture of confusion, doubt, humor all sewn together with respect and love... she shakes her head, laughs and walks out. I am still hunched over with my nose acting as a diving board on the rim of the glass. The brett is obvious, giving it that wet cat meets hockey equipment meets an old...

(Song change, Jeff Tweedy covering Dylan's "Simple Twist of Fate"... off the I'm Not There album... what a compilation)

...afghan blanket that has been tucked in the attic for to many years. The citric lemon, sour champagne smell is there as well... with a nice, fairly subtle but noticeable oak character. Man, that is a good smelling beer.

So, I have been into sours for a while now... and I often find myself at a bar like say, the Tiger, with a good pal that likes good beer, just doesn't seek it out or really buy it. The other day I was there with a great buddy from Chicago and the lady. I order three beers, let him try them all and pick his favorite... in the mix we had a sour. He decided to go with the Aventinus, thinking on first sip the sour was to much. A few minutes later he asked for another sip, then another... and after essentially drinking my entire beer explained; "it's like Tabasco... Not necessarily the taste I expect to want or like, but the more you have the more you need". I can't help but think that sums it up for me. I need it, and once I get that initial brett/sour taste I need more quick. Brute is incredibly dry and tart, leaving your mouth pleading for more...

(Song change, Lykke Li, "Complaint Department". Saw her a few months back and she was captivating, if you get the chance check her out)

...Citric, sour, lemon, orange, all under the umbrella of Brett and his manly mustiness... giving it that funk. Sour apple is really dominating at first, but it those other fruits start to poke their heads out more as it warms.

Brute is extremely carbonated giving it a great mouthfeel... reminds me of Cuvee de Castleton in its medium body, dry finish, yet incredibly full of carbination. It's the type of beer I could swish around my mouth for hours (or minutes, maybe a couple seconds)

Very...

(Song Change, now we get the real thing... Dylan, off of Blonde on Blonde, "I want you". Great song "The drunken politicians, leaps upon the street where mothers weep, and the saviors who are fast asleep... they wait for you.")

... very drinkable. It is so dry that it takes some resistance to slow down and enjoy each sip.

Overall, great, great beer. Ran into the brewer at a CL beer dinner and he said that he, at first, didn't think it was that good. It took his customers to let him know how damn good it was to start and feel confident behind it. Great offering, great beer, great Sunday

04-05-2009 17:40:34 | More by calise1122
Risser09

750mL bottle poured into a snifter - fridge temp - 2008 batch E!010

Appearance: Pours a golden color with lots of visible carbonation flowing to the surface. The head rises 1.5" tall with lots of foaminess and shows great retention. Spotty lace clings to the glass.

Smell: Tart and funky. Acrid apples, brettanomyces, horseblanket, some dormant lemon citrus. Slight hop aroma as well. Perfect for me.

Taste: Funky, sour and tart. This beer screams Belgian at the top of its lungs. Oak, apple, brett, lemon, horseblanket are all flavors. There are so many more complexities.

Mouthfeel: Effervescent, lightly bodied, tart, funky and oaky. Some tannins soaks through. Lingering tartness and sourness. Alcohol is there, but not in a big way.

Drinkability: Incredible. I had high hopes for this brew and I got my socks knocked off. Everything that you could want in a beer. Plenty of complexity and thirst quenching properties. One of my new favorites for sure.

04-03-2009 12:49:11 | More by Risser09
Floydster

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

750 ml corked and caged bottle brought to the SeaO'Floydster tasting by Dr. Bill, thanks for joining us and supplying this wild ale, reviewed from notes, poured into my Rader snifter

A-Golden yellow color with some orange tint, 3/4 inch bubbly white head, fizzes away pretty quickly but does leave a white ring, good legs
S-Lots of citrus including lemon, grapefruit, orange, and tangerine, also mild hops, sweet yeast, apricot, tart, and oak
T-Starts off with a big citric acid flavor, tons of fruit in the middle, very dry finish with oak and sour apples, this has a big yeast presence and a nice tarty profile, fruit tastes more tropical as it warms, nice balance and continued changes in taste
M-Dry, tarty, fruity, and citrusy mouthfeel, medium bodied, lots and lots of carbonation, taste lingered a long time because the dryness in the aftertaste
D-Could drink this big bottle myself, fairly light in alcohol and not overly sour or sweet, can be refreshing and prefer this colder and more crisp

First beer from Ithaca and glad this was it, nice introduction to their brewery, this beer is a lot like champagne in ways, wish I had some to put down in the cellar and see how it evolves, recommended

04-02-2009 02:39:10 | More by Floydster
twelvsies

Maine

4.03/5  rDev -9.2%

Really glad to see more American brewers doing these kinds of beers. And doing them well. This is a real handsome brew - golden bubbly hazy yellow, I love the way the head just fluffs up after the pour, and holds up strong. Full of brett and oak in the nose, a bit of a soft creamyness as well. Approachably sour at first, giving way to a nice profile of lemon and crab apple, with a bit of old mustyness. So crisp. I don't believe this is what the brewer was going for, but I could stand to see a bit more of a malt backbone to fill this beer out, but as is this beer is incredibly light and refreshing. This is the perfect beer to introduce people to sour ales or lambics. It's got enough of the funk to keep those in the know interested, yet it isn't too sour or brash to really challenge an uninitiated palate. This beer makes you say "Ahh".... and smile.

03-30-2009 15:33:16 | More by twelvsies
Shaggy9356

4.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Batch# E!010
Nice glowing cloudy orange color with 1 cm ring of foam clinging around the edge of my Portsmouth tulip. Smell is brett funkiness and citrus... yum! Crisp with sourness upfront, followed by some lemon lime citrus, a gorgeous clean, dry finish. The carbonation level is maybe a little high, but works for the champagne characteristics. This beer can be enjoyed right away, now sure aging would help this one but would like to try it a year later anyway. Overall an absolute beauty from Ithaca. The best they've put out to date in my opinion and one that can hold its own against any wild sour.

03-29-2009 02:18:51 | More by Shaggy9356
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

A light orangey color that is very hazy. Big creamy head comes without even a very vigorous pour. Retention is good and some sheets of lacing are left to hang around.

Smell is nice. A ton of light fruits like apricots and even peaches are noticeable, along with a bite of sourness and some oak notes.

Taste is surprisingly more sour than sweet. The fruit from the nose is almost non existant and is instead replaced by a good dose of sourness. An ok, woody flavor comes through in the finish. A pretty solid beer, not overly complex but certainly tasty.

Mouthfeel is rather good. Extremely dry and somewhat creamy in thickness. That is until it slides across your tongue and the ramped up carbonation turns Brute into fizz.

This one is really drinkable and a good beer overall. I'd sampled this a few times and was happy to jump on buying the bottle when I ran into it.

03-22-2009 15:28:41 | More by Hojaminbag
IBUnit63

4.38/5  rDev -1.4%

Batch E!010 poured into a Riedel Extreme Burgundy glass 'cause I haven't used it in a while and it seemed like it would work nicely. Have at it, we will...

Pours like a Champagne at first. Bready, lemon/light honey color with plenty of vibrant head - about 3 fingers worth of a big bubble bath. Second pour is a little more restrained. Carbonation is nicely present.

The yeast strains in this combined with a moderate wheat component mix it up with the Brett hay, gentle horse blanket and prominent citric sourness to generate a fair amount of electricity. There's some light pine or baso woodiness from the light grains and mild hop presence. Depth expands and softens with warmth.

One of the brighter sours I've encountered - most likely the champagne yeast is helping this along. Very nice light grains complement the sour funk of this all - perhaps the power of suggestion but it does have a Champagne-like component that really brings it all together. Nice very light woodiness provides a good yet mild hop and grain component.

Some wild ales require an adjustment period. Not necessarily this one. Sure, the first taste has that sour stable pucker, but it really softens over time and transforms into a lighter, more pleasant, medium-bodied and well-balanced ale. The light grains, yeast and Brett strains and a little bit of hop pine are working in Beautiful Chemistry. By no means over the top but very well-balanced.

While this is a rare treat that is quite contemplative and complex, it really drinks well - not only for the style but overall. I was very disappointed to see the end of this bottle. When this ages for a while it will be very interesting to sample. Another incredibly well-balanced effort from the Excelsior! series.

03-22-2009 11:41:32 | More by IBUnit63
flexabull

4.43/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle courtesy of charlesw, thanks again!

I'm been curious about this one for a while now. I feel that the best American Sours are made in Northern California by Vinnie at Russian Russian, let's see how a sour from upstate New York compares. This one certainly has some great scores on here.

Pours a bright and cloudy gold color. With a very big white head. It has some floaters, but it really has a nice glow to it.

Bright sour aromas. Lots of lemon, grasses, apples, pears, and really light vinegar. This one has some funk, but also has some pleasant sour fruit notes too.

Taste is very clean and crisp. Light green apple flavors, puckering lemon, and a dry mineral like bite on the finish. Sourness and brett is present, but subdued much more than I thought it would be. It adds a nice funky light vinegar backdrop, it's there, but certainly not up in your face. In a strange sort of way, this kind of reminds me of a wit beer that is brewed with brett.

Mouthfeel is good, could use a little more depth on the finish, but it's not bad at all.

Wow, I am impressed. This is a very drinkable sour. Nice sour flavors, but not over the top. Kind of reminds me of Sanctification Jr. Good stuff, and kudos Ithaca, this is a very nice interpretation of the style.

03-21-2009 03:37:10 | More by flexabull
jamie2dope

4.38/5  rDev -1.4%

Thank goodness we got a really awesome American made wild ale in here. Sometimes I think that we are lacking in this style around here. Poured in to a Duvel tulip a cloudy golden color, with not much more than a white laced heading. Plenty of lactic acid and lemon qualities in the nose. Almost reminds me of lemonade. Not so much funky as just sour. Taste is more of the same; citrus fruits such as lemons and oranges, vinegar, bits of sweetness pull through from time to time. Body is light, no alcohol can be detected as far as I can tell. Drinkability is superb if you are in to sours. It is actually a really refreshing drink. I don't want to say that this is a perfect wild sour beer, but it comes close to the top of the ones I have tried. One of the mosr remarkable beers I have had in a while. Cheers

03-19-2009 23:16:20 | More by jamie2dope
JonathanL7890

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle brought over to my house by BgThang last night. Thanks!
Batch E!010. Bottle was capped and corked with a new synthetic cork.

Poured into my New Belgium Globe with a huge foamy , more like soapy head.
Color was a bright yellow, very clear. Bubbles kept the head throughout the whole glass. A perfect beer to see the benefits of a laser etched glass.

Smell: A little funky, fruity, I get some malts and a touch of hops.

Taste: Wow. this is a flavor spectacular! Lots of fruit that becomes quite tart in the back of the tongue. Almost like a good Berliner Weiss but more complex than that.

Mouthfeel: good light mouthfeel. Maybe a bit gassy due to the high level of carbonation.

Drinkability: What a wonderful drinkable sour! I could put away several pints of this stuff.

Another excellent brew from Ithaca. The Excelsior series from these guys amazes me.

03-08-2009 15:37:39 | More by JonathanL7890
everetends

Alabama

4.75/5  rDev +7%

750ml bottle sent to me by the great Lum. I have heard him and the rest of the LNBA crew that have enjoyed this pimp the hell out of it, and I am stoked to have the chance. Served up in a tulip. Batch # E!010

A: First off this beer is capped and corked. Once you uncork this fool, you get a huge pop. Have to be careful when you pour this sweetheart because she foams easily. Slow pour got me a huge white, foamy head. Head has decent retention and doesn't really ever go away, only falling to a completely solid top cap that produces some spotty lacing. The body is a really pretty hazy, sunny yellow color that shine brighter when held to the light. Lots of carbonation steadily streams from the bottom of the glass. Really pretty beer.

S: My goodness does this lady wear a fine perfume. As soon as you pop that cork, a massive amount of aroma fills the area and really gives you a treat. There is first a foremost a really dank ass musty, musky scent coming out. Then comes all that sweet ass and sour ass fruity goodness. Sour, sweet and tart fruits. Green apple, grape, melon, pear, lemon, orange. All of these are in here. There is a slight and sweet vinegar smell coming out as well. Then, comes a bit of wood (oak) and earthiness (a barn full of hay). This is just great.

T: Man is this a tart and tasty little lady. The fruits take center stage, no teasing whatsoever, just full on entertainment. The sweet and sour green apple. Sweet melon, zesty lemon, sugary and tart pear. Grapefruit pucker. Grapes all over this with a nice white wine tartness. Stupid amount of fruit goodness. There is an apple cider vinegar presence that is slightly vinegary but still adds to the fruity sweetness in here. The barnyard funk is here as well with some dirty hay and a touch of salty leather. It can't get much better than this. I would give it a 5 but my experience with Wild Ales is minimal, so I will give the others the benefit of the doubt but I don't think it can get any better.

M: This is a medium bodied brew that has just a high carbonation crispness that doesn't stop. The beer is just so damned light and bubbly on the palate and tingles on the way down. ABV is low and doesn't even play a factor in here. The beer is very light on the palate and doesn't linger too long but doesn't leave too early. All those fruits come out in the aftertaste and allow you to thoroughly explore this crazy good beer.

D: This beer is amazing. Hands down, amazing. This beer is an incredible achievement and it is successful in all categories. This beer is just so complex, yet easy to drink and enjoy. This is one of those beers you pop for nonbelievers, serve up in wine glasses, let them enjoy, and then BAM, "Thats a beer, bitches!". No one will believe you. Just a powerful and beautiful brew that goes down so easy I had to keep myself in check and from gulping this down. This 750 will be savored and then mourned once it is killed. I envy those in and near Ithaca. Thanks, Paul.

02-18-2009 05:36:28 | More by everetends
deliriumfest

4.95/5  rDev +11.5%

Consumed on 1/17/09

750ml bottle

First of all, I'm going to have to agree with Mikesgroove and say that this is the best American sour I have had to date! Believe me, I bow down to my Russian River brews every time I see them reining over my beer closet but man this one was good. Poured a cloudy yellow/copper with not much head at all although if there were more I would have to say it would be nice and white. The aroma was plein de brett, brett et plus de brett. The taste was beautifully funky and citrusy. The mouthfeel was smooth - went down the hatch easy as pie thanks to the beautiful carbonation. The drinkability on this one is huge due to all its awesomeness and funkiness. I have to note that I brought this one to the Twin Cities January BA Gathering and it was the star of the show. I want to thank Ithaca for making this beer and I really hope they do it again in the future because I only have two bottles of this one left.

01-27-2009 20:34:19 | More by deliriumfest
drunkmonk

4.1/5  rDev -7.7%

Big thanks to broha jjayjaye for the opportunity on this one!

Pours murky golden, with a thick effervescent
head. Vinous aromas of Grape, green apple skin, lemon peel, yeast, some brett funk and slight oak. Loads of tart sweet fruit on the tongue, lemon pepper, sour green apple and spices. Finish is very dry. Oak presence is very subtle and masked by the tart sweetness. I would have liked more oak barrell influence to play off some of the sweetness. This is a really nice sour and one to be shared with friends. If you are sourhead, this is a must try.

01-17-2009 17:22:11 | More by drunkmonk
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

One of the best, if not the best American sour I have had. Simply amazing. 750ml bottle was served chilled and decanted into a pint glass. Consumed on 01/03/2009.

The pour was very nice. A rich golden amber with a light cloudiness to it that was very evident as soon as your poured it. Nice head of white reaches up to a height of around three inches before settling back down and leaving just a nice quarter inch layer across the top that stayed with it throughout the session, lots of carbonation streaming up as well throughout.

The aroma was to die for. Sour, tart fruit notes just ripping through the air. Not so heavy on the vinegar in the smell, more of a sour apple like nose with lots of funk. As it warmed like notes of oak coming through way in the back and a fresh grapefruit like hoppiness. The flavor was explosive. My tongue took a bath in rich sour notes here. Lotso f fruit all over the place, pears, apricot, lots of grapefruit, and then that funky brett just hits you and wipes it all away. Puckering, but yet subtle and sweet at the same time. Words escape me. The champagne yeast did a number here and the carbonation was light, fine, and absolutely spot on. I could not have asked for that to come off any better. Rediculously drinkable and just a privledge to drink, this is one of the best beers I have ever had.

Hands down, nothing else I can say to sell you on this one. I did not think this could have come off as good as it did. It was simply amazing. Please go get this if you can, and Beertruth, send me more!

01-04-2009 17:39:36 | More by mikesgroove
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Got a bottle of this from israel, split with largadeer on day one of our epic tasting.

A: Hazy golden yellow with a massive white head made up of rather big bubbles. Great retention.

S: Grassy, hay-like funk with a sharp citric acidity. Mild green apple, almost salty. There's a mild floral honey-like note that balances things a bit but this is predominantly funky and awesome.

T: Opens up with a lot of funk - barnyard, hay, grass, lemon zest and a wonderful, refreshing tartness that really cleans and rejuvenates the palate. Crisp and clean with lemon-like sourness with great acidity. Finishes dry with a pleasant lemon-zest flavor that I love

M: Light, crisp, great finish. Great balance between sourness, acidity and funk

D: Ridiculously drinkable!

**Edit 17 Dec 2011**

I've been fortunate to have all the batches of this beer so far, and it seems like Ithaca's only growing stronger. This is batch 4 (or E!037, as it's called), received from Alex. Thank you, man!

A clear golden orange with a dense, white head with excellent retention, this is a very nice looking beer. The nose is a wonderful expression of Brett. Plenty of clove with a little plastic, some tropical fruit and just plain wildness, this is rather rustic and refreshing. A surprising honeydew melon and honey-like sweetness are present as well. A mild acidity is also present, with some lactic acid and grapefruit zest-like citrus character. The palate opens with a very pleasing lactic sourness, lip-smacking good and with a moderate citrus pith-like sourness. No real acetic character is present, though the Brett character is intense with a blend of clove, plastic phenols and wet hay. A mild sweetness is present with a blend of honey and fruit, before a lactic finish with some Brett phenols take over. No real oak character is present, though some grainy, husky tannins are discernible. Excellent stuff, and while my original scores might be generous (I'd drop the taste to a 4), I'll let it slide for now.

As an aside, I do wish that they'd let a barrel or two age for 2-3 years, as I can imagine this would make a wonderful transition from a jonge lambic-like character (that is currently present) to a nice oude lambic of some sort.

**Edit 28 June 2013**
Batch 2 (E!017). Happy birthday, Mark!

This has aged quite nicely. Earthy and citrusy brightness, grassy and hay-like funk, a touch of acetone, quite nice. The palate is better with a blend of lactic and lemony sourness, a touch of earth. Funk is modest, and mostly grassy/hay like with a touch of mushrooms. The acetone character has increased with age, but is still wholly pleasant. A touch vinous/musky. Solid. 4/4/4

01-02-2009 16:01:30 | More by DefenCorps
largadeer

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

750ml kindly shared by dyan. Batch 1.

Appearance: Hazed gold with a great big white head, excellent retention and tons of lace.

Smell: Salty, sweaty, footy funk. Brett has done wonders to this one. Lemon, hay, farmyard, and the faintest hint of burnt rubber. No sweetness is present whatsoever - this one's all funk.

Taste & mouthfeel: Lemony sourness and loads of yeasty funk. Moderately acidic with great balancing dryness in the finish. Nice light crisp body, remarkably easy to drink.

01-01-2009 08:38:40 | More by largadeer