Brute - Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: albern on 06-22-2008

Brewed with vintage (aged) local hops, barley, wheat, corn, aged in oak with Brett and finished with three types of champagne yeast.
firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
3.8/5  rDev -12.8%

Thanks to jjayjaye for sending me this bottle in a trade...quite a while ago (last summer?). All of the other great Ithaca brews he sent are long gone, but this one survived. Split three ways on our first night of vacation on the shores of Clamshell Lake with my mother & wife.

Pours a fizzy, woodish yellow, matching the cedar furniture nicely. Smells like tart lemon & bright sunshine, without dust motes.

The taste follows the nose closely. The brett is on top here, of course, lending a quick zing of lemon that brings on a light pucker. Very dry. No water for two days in the Sahara dry, no doubt the influence of the oak, which is prominent. Almost like a sparkling cider in the mouth. I don't get much subtlety out of this one, but I don't need it. And really like it. Not so much anyone else. I end up with half the bomber. Fine by me!

A very good, light, sipping beer with a book in one hand. Doesn't fill me up, light, but terribly tasty. It doesn't hit the high notes everyone else seems to find, but I really enjoyed this one. (1,043 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -13.3%

I finally got a chance to try Brute. Now I'm not a sour nut, but this one is very good. Light and spritzy on the tongue. Tangy flavors but not overpowering. The color is golden with a stark white head. This one has high carbonation, low alcohol and is fairly dry. (263 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Pours a slighlty cloudy yellow golden color with a nice large 2 finger head. Having never had this before I have heard it is very brett forward but upon smelling it, it doesn't seem like that at all. The aroma is a nice balance between some florals, citrus, and lemon zest. Light mouthfeel with good carbonation. The taste is similiar to the nose as it starts with some funky slightly medicinal flavors which then transitions to some nice tart zest citrus notes. Overall, this one surprised me on how much I liked it. I could see that if this sat for a while, the brett may take over and dominate the aroma and taste. (625 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours the color of hazy dirty lemonade with some snowy white head. The nose is horsey, hay, different fruits (apple, pear, lemon), and some musty odors. Flavors are pretty balanced. Mild sour in the front with som citusy acid in the finish. Very acidic. And tart. Medium body and aggressive carbonation. Dry finish. Pretty damn good for a sour. (344 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Batch E027. Pours with a lot of head, this beer is definitely carbonated! Aromas of brett funk and vinegar predominate. This beers taste is much the same, mostly lactic sour, but bordering on too much acetic for my liking. Very tart finish and high carbonation result in a very dry tasting beer. Mouthfeel is great with the CO2, nice acidity as well. Cork was a little hard to get out! (385 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -18.6%

I got the one from the incredibly generous 6DaysBottomOcean who graciously extended his cellar to me. The appearance is hazy golden with a rocky white head about a finger thick. The smell is faintly sour; it reminds me of tart apples with a bit of brett funk and earthy oak flavors. The taste is sour green apples with a bit of vinegar. Slight funk from the brett with a little bit of oakiness. The tartness is perfectly what I want, ever so slight with a bit of sweetness. The mouthfeel is fair, the carbonation being what I would expect, nice and lively with a medium body. Easy to drink but overall not my absolute favorite. Still a solid beer worth trying. (660 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The pour presents a hazy golden hue that resembles a sunshine lit straw prairie at sunset. large voluminous head that is white as the bone of skeletor.
The aroma has some levels of funk but not a massive onslaught of funk and sour notes, about the level i would expect a good authentic saison to have, with some subtle barnyard notes and some mild fruits.
The flavors are enjoyable and refreshing, subtle and pulls you into itself to seek out the funk, pears, apples, peach, straw and wheat, and some citrusy notes.
This beer is really dry and attenuated, super clean and refreshing on the mouthfeel with crisp light bubbles and intice another sip. (649 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fiery golden
laced with brett
this beer is certainly a threat
sticky lace

hints of other fruit
maybe cherry ?

Mouthfeel spritzy
taste is weak
not enough funk for this here freak

Drinkability is good
should you try this?
Yes you should
but it's certainly not the best
but for an American wild it passed the test (377 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -20.2%

Very pretty beer - cloudy orange/yellow with a small half finger head that lingers around. Smell is decent, but mainly just sour with a small amount of funk. Taste is average sourness up front, but does have a nice biscuity aftertaste. This ones a little too bubbly for me. Overall, this is a good beer. But top 100?? Racial expletive, please. (343 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -20.9%

Wow, I wanted to love this beer but it just fell way short. Proves my thoery that US sours are good, but not quite as good as the Eurpoean counterparts.
Poured a pale/straw yello and had nice carbonation. Nice sour beer. Sad to say, that's where it ends for me. I just can't see the rave reviews for this. As a US sour, it is great. Compared to the rest of the world, it is just average IMO. (392 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -26.8%

Foil + cap + cork ensures no one will open this beer accidentally. Runaway, bulbous white head. Hazy golden straw color. Great retention.

Smells slap your grandma sour: Lemon Heads candy, sweaty penny, and tortilla chip aroma. Doesn't taste as sour as it smells. Lemon meringue (suggestive?) and corn notes.

A lot of times when I sample beers on the top 100 it's evident why it's there even if I don't like said beer. I'm at a loss with this one. (449 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -28.7%

Bottle shared by a kind soul at Woodshop 7

Look: Pours a murky cloudy dark yellow color with a 1/3 inch white bubbly head and some spotty lace

Smell: Funky yeast, oak, lemon

Taste: Holy sourness batman this is a sour bomb. There is some lemon and oak disguised amongst the sourness but it was so much of a distraction that I almost missed it

Mouthfeel: Lighter in body and lots of carbonation. Tons of dry sourness and pretty damn bitter

Overall: If your into sour bombs drink this. This one is not for me but I am glad I got the chance to try it (551 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -31%

A long time want, knocked off the list by Ryan011235. Batch E!018.

Appearance
This is a pretty one. Lots of lively carbonation can be seen through it's clear, pale golden body.

Aroma
I do love a stinky, funky beer. This one is very horsey with a shot of lemon sourness. It has a chalky, earthy, funky yeast profile to the overall bouquet.

Taste
I'm really not enjoying this as much as I expected to. Its acidic and quite sour. The flavors of the vinegar acidity comprise a bit of a tomato ketchup flavor that I just can't shake.

Mouthfeel
This beer feels as carbonated as it looks, but the bubbles aren't so sharp as to be painful. The finish is semi dry and the body is light. It really does have the feel down for an easy drinking wild.

Overall
I could take it or leave it. Its visually appealing and smells good. From there, however, it seems this beer slipped. I can't call it a bad beer, but average is close enough. (931 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -44%

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a nice fizzy white head. Head forms a ring around the edge.

S- Lemon zest, musty, funky, wet grass, grapes and brett. A bit of bready malts.

T- This one follows the nose and I already know I'm in trouble. Lemons strike first very sour, grapes, and vinegar.

M- Pretty light in body and good amount of carbonation.

O- I understand how you guys like these, but I'm not digging these sours at all. If you like straight up lemon juice this ones for you. (488 characters)

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last