1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brute - Ithaca Beer Company

BruteBrute

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.50% ABV

Brewed with vintage (aged) local hops, barley, wheat, corn, aged in oak with Brett and finished with three types of champagne yeast.

(Beer added by: albern on 06-22-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next › last »
Ratings: 768 | Reviews: 385 | Show All Ratings:
corby112

4.28/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a very hazy dark golden yellow with a ruddy ripe banana hues and a one and a half frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Spotty lacing left behind.

Earthy bretty funk aroma with some barnyard horseblankety character. Dry brett and earthy oaky funk complimented by some crisp golden fruit notes, especially apple.

Slightly dry with some nice earthy bretty funk which becomes mellowed out by a smooth lactic creaminess and subtle bready yeast character. Prominent light crisp fruit notes, especially apple and pear along with some banana. Nice dry champagne effervescence complimenting the tart dry funky wild yeast. Dry finish. This beer is sweeter and not as sour/tart as I expected. I was told that this was the most recent batch so maybe it needs a while for the brett to develop. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it and recommend it to both sour fans and those looking to delve into the style

12-18-2009 19:23:59 | More by corby112
philbe311

4.28/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - An extremely hazy pale lemony yellow color... Did I mention hazy??? Even with the haze, this one has a certain glow about it... One fingers worth of fluffy slightly rocky white head sits a a tap... Loaded with fast paced carbonation...

S - Green Apples... Sour lemons... Wheat... Yeast... Some white grapes...

T - Granny Smith Apples... Lemon Zest... Tart peaches... A pinch of salt... Yeast... The funkiness of the brett is present, but not overwhelming... More tart than funk, but that's okay by me...

M - Light to medium body... Highly fizzy, yet quite sturdy... Even and consistent... Dry... Soft... Delicate... Sophisticated...

D - I could drink this all day and night long, each and every day... Overall, this one is better than the sums of it's parts... I would gladly move aside most other beers for another oppurtunity to be reunited with this one... This one is anything but a Brute... Awesome beer...

12-13-2009 21:56:36 | More by philbe311
Kadonny

4.05/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from tap at Capones sour event into a tasting glass.

A: Cloudy pale yellow color that looks exactly like grapefruit juice. Slight thin white head no lacing.

S: Tart fruits with apple and some funk.

T: Again the tart blasts out first with sour apples, apricot, pear and some grape. A sugar sweetness offsets the sour for a few seconds but that sour funk comes pounding back in. I got some grassy hops that offset the sour and smooth out the finish. Not as crisp and clean as the Temptation. Finish is not near as lingering either.

M: Tart, crisp but a bit thin on finish but overall very smooth. No alcohol traces at all.

D: High, these are much more mellow and smoother than the Temptation, thus more drinkable.

Overall a great beer that left me wanting just a little bit more. It is still awesome and a beer I would drink anytime.

12-11-2009 22:02:28 | More by Kadonny
bonkers

I had this on tap today at Capones. It was served in a 9 ounce snifter, turbid gold in color with a fizzy white head. Tart fruit dominate the nose. The flavors of green apples and oak dominate. The beer is tart, but not vinegary, and the finish is bone dry. For me this was a sipper that I am glad I got to try.

12-10-2009 23:29:15 | More by bonkers
NittanyBeerFan

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

I got the last beer out of the keg last night at the end of the weekend of TJ's East Coast/West Coast Throwdown. What lucky break! Reviewing from my notes...

A: Pours a pale hazy orangey amber color with a nice cap of 1cm thick frothy head. Thin delicate laces appear on the sides of my tulip as I drink.

S: Completely devoid of horseblanket, this beer's aroma is big and funky. The sourness is incredible, and it makes my nostrils pucker as I enjoy the aroma. There are some wispy notes of citrus, but the sour dominates.

T: The funky sour tangy taste melds nicely with an almost oakey flavor. this is combined with the citrusy flavors of lemon and apricot.

M/D: The initial feeling is a tingly sour sensation that envelops the tongue and insides of my cheeks. Carbonation gives way to a dry, almost acidic finish. Very nicely textured, light but not thin. I wish there was a bit more fruity flavor to this to keep my going, but overall, this is a great beer. I wish there was more, but I will take my last glass and be happy. I would love to have this with a bit of age on it in my cellar, so I may be looking for a bottle soon.

10-20-2009 03:17:09 | More by NittanyBeerFan
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at NotF, had me a few glasses of this gem. Need to get some bottles.

Pours a cloudy yellow, almost a honey colour, thin white head forms, settles down to a solid ring, no real lacing.

Smell is amazing, very sour and funky, lots of lemon, charred wood, vanilla, oak, apricots and light fruit, good malty middle, lots of acidity.

Taste is great too, a bit of a weird and hard to place fruity sourness, lemons, wood, big and malty funky middle, light on the acidity but very sour in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. One of the more drinkable sours, tons of character and funk but quite drinkable.

10-19-2009 20:36:17 | More by Viggo
weeare138

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

on tap at TJs...
Appears a hazy light straw toned gold. Acfluffy white cap slowly fades into a mild head. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of vanilla, light oak, lemon zest, light funk, and earthiness.
Taste is of the aromas with an apple flavor and dry white wine flavor pulling through. Delicious stuff.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, salty, sweet, fruity, funky, and tart. Citrusy, tart, and dry.

10-18-2009 21:59:57 | More by weeare138
tai4ji2x

4.1/5  rDev -7.4%

on-tap at deep ellum, in allston, ma, on april 23, 2009, during the week of the craft brewers conference. served in orval chalice.

hazy straw blonde. nice creamy head, stays around as a wispy layer. lacing doesn't stick though.

aroma is more vinegary than the bottled version. citrus hint. funk later on as it warms.

sour tartness is still nice, but is a bit sharper than the bottle.

texture is more acidic as well.

compared to the bottled version, everything just seems less refined. still a nice sour, but the complexities seem muted. when asked, max (owner/manager of deep ellum) believes there is still champagne yeast involved. but somehow i have my doubts, or at least that's what my palate tells me. can someone at ithaca please illuminate?

frankly i am also not a fan of open, un-tuliped or untapered abbey-style chalices - at least not for tasting/reviewing purposes. also, it was served quite cold, so i had to wait a while for it to come to temperature.

06-27-2009 06:27:48 | More by tai4ji2x
tendermorsel

4.63/5  rDev +4.5%

I was lucky enough to score some of this wonderful beer on tap at Deep Ellum during craft brewers week.

Straw yellow colored with a fluffy long lasting head. Very sexy looking beer.

The smell was not as funky as I would have expected but it may have more to do with the crowded bar than the beer.

Wonderful sour flavor. A near prefect balance of lactic sourness and barnyard funk. Quite a pleasant finish and extremly drinkable.

This is an AWESOME sour. It would stand up to any American Wild Ales I have ever had. I have a few bottles tucked away and can't wait to try the bottled verison with a few months on it.

Highly reccomended if you are down with the funk

04-24-2009 19:45:58 | More by tendermorsel
albern

I had this at the American Craft Beer Fest and it was a very good change up from the preponderance of IPAs at the festival. They labeled this beer as an American Golden Sour Ale, which really doesn't exist as a separate style. It is a Farmhouse ale with all of its yeasty sourness. As to the availability, I have no idea of this beers frequency, so you'll have to seek it out on its own terms. This beer poured a fairly cloudy pale color with a stong nose of vinegar, florals, and yeast. The taste reminded me of some fig and/or Hibiscus Flowers. I also got a strong flavor of juniper and maybe some ginger. The farm house style isn't may favorite, the sourness is a bit yeasty, not nearly as sourly refreshing as say the Belgian Flemish reds, but I appreciated it as one of the few of its style at the festival.

06-22-2008 10:39:16 | More by albern