Brute - Ithaca Beer Company

Wants: 1,126
Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.50% ABV

Brewed with vintage (aged) local hops, barley, wheat, corn, aged in oak with Brett and finished with three types of champagne yeast.

(Beer added by: albern on 06-22-2008)
4.38/5  rDev -1.1%

Thank goodness we got a really awesome American made wild ale in here. Sometimes I think that we are lacking in this style around here. Poured in to a Duvel tulip a cloudy golden color, with not much more than a white laced heading. Plenty of lactic acid and lemon qualities in the nose. Almost reminds me of lemonade. Not so much funky as just sour. Taste is more of the same; citrus fruits such as lemons and oranges, vinegar, bits of sweetness pull through from time to time. Body is light, no alcohol can be detected as far as I can tell. Drinkability is superb if you are in to sours. It is actually a really refreshing drink. I don't want to say that this is a perfect wild sour beer, but it comes close to the top of the ones I have tried. One of the mosr remarkable beers I have had in a while. Cheers

4.4/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1st time trying this and very psyched to be doing so. Shared with my brother and his girlfriend on 1/1/2011. 750 ml. bottle marked Batch E!027 into a Victory Golden Monkey tulip glass...

A - Poured a very hazy, golden-yellow color which actually looked extremely inviting when placed in the light. Very soapy-white and bubbly 2 finger head slowly recedes to a small layer. Some ever so slight lacing is present. Bubbles are racing to the top of the glass.

S - Bretty, funky, musty, attic-like smell right up front. VERY excited now. Some nice malt backbone and fruits come next; some peaches and lemons.

T - Gotta love that funky barnyard taste! Lots of Brett, funk, acidity and sourness up front. Nice lemon zest flavors follow with a solid malt backbone peeking its head in when it can. Almost gueuze like really.

M - Light bodied with a very nice carbonation, ala champagne. Nice bite from the acididty and a nice dry finish. Really quite nice.

D - Really wishing I had more than 1 bottle of this guy. Great beer and one that I could easily have had multiples of. It is much lighter for the slightly higher ABV (for a Wild Ale) which adds nicely to its drinkability.

4.45/5  rDev +0.5%

Effin' excellent brew. I'm an amateur here, so I'm totally unqualified to talk about hop notes or brett or lacing or whatever. I'm doing my homework on beer 101, but in the meantime I'd like to enjoy some. This I can.

Brute has a distinct type of sour that finishes clean but leaves me thinking about granny smith apples in the dryness of champagne. The carbonation and head are great, and I feel classy drinking this. Buy me another and take me home.

I almost feel bad calling it beer. But I don't feel bad calling it awesome. Would drink again - for sure.

4.55/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to Bendurgin for sharing!

Batch E!027

Poured into a tulip. Color is hazy golden and the head is huge when poured. The white head shrinks into lacing.

This smells of tart apples and the funkiness is well tamed for a brett beer. A hint of lemon citrus also noted.

This is really a wonderful tasting beer. A slight bit of sweetness first hits the tip of the tongue but is followed by a crisp, tart finish. I am pleasantly surprised by the flavor, as there is not much dirty, horseblanketyness to it. This is really a brett beer for the people.

This is a fantastic beer that I'm glad to have tried. I will definately be on the lookout for more

4.1/5  rDev -7.4%

750 ml bottle poured into my Stone RIS tulip. Thanks go out to jamie2dope for a great beer.

A: Super cloudy, straw yellow color. The pour produced over a quarter size white head that hangs around and leaves minimal lace.

A: Citrus, lemon, green apple, white grape, and pear. Sharp and acidic. Some nice bready malts, and citrusy, earthy hops. Just a precurser to what's to come.

T: Sour citrus and champagne. Lemon, white grape, and the pear really come through. The bready malts and citrusy hops are balanced nicely. Very tart from the brett. Kinda a cross between a chardonay, champagne, and beer. Very nice. Finishes smooth and dry.

M: Light body. Aggressive carbonation. Very tart and sharp, but smooth at the same time, from the oak aging.

D and overall impression: Drinkabiliy is somewhat limited due to the tartness, but the ABV is certainly manageable. Overall, very nice example of a sour. Would definately have again. Skal.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks to Shane for bringing this bottle down to ChulaJuana and sharing it at La Bella on 11/24. Batch E!0I8 which appears to be batch 2?

I had the first batch last fall/winter but was not in an environment for a proper review and I remember being quite impressed with it so I was looking forward to having this beer again.

The beer was a straw, pale, yellow with an egg-shell white colored foam on top, about a quarter inch in height. Nice clarity and presentation.

Upfront I detected a powdery sugar that quickly went to the background and then a rush of brett funk took over, hay, sweat, green apples, moderate level of vinegar, nice acidity, and lemon peel.

The taste was almost as good as the aroma but not quiet there. Green apple tartness, grape skin, light to medium acetic level, wheat dryness, a bit of oak butteriness and vanilla in the end. High carbonation level at first, very bubbly and sparkling but as the beer develops and opens up the carbonation settles to low. Nice dryness and tannic bitterness. A very nice sour overall.

4.05/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from tap at Capones sour event into a tasting glass.

A: Cloudy pale yellow color that looks exactly like grapefruit juice. Slight thin white head no lacing.

S: Tart fruits with apple and some funk.

T: Again the tart blasts out first with sour apples, apricot, pear and some grape. A sugar sweetness offsets the sour for a few seconds but that sour funk comes pounding back in. I got some grassy hops that offset the sour and smooth out the finish. Not as crisp and clean as the Temptation. Finish is not near as lingering either.

M: Tart, crisp but a bit thin on finish but overall very smooth. No alcohol traces at all.

D: High, these are much more mellow and smoother than the Temptation, thus more drinkable.

Overall a great beer that left me wanting just a little bit more. It is still awesome and a beer I would drink anytime.

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Opaque/cloudy yellow and hazy. Big white head when poured with a gratuitous amount of carbonation on display.

S - Very impressed. Dry and tart aromas with hints of lemon, yeast funk, hay, and barnyard. Complex to say the least

T - Again, very dry and tart with a lot of brett funk right off the bat. Transitions to dry hay in the middle. The corn adds a lot of carbonation and a nice earthy/dusty flavor. Light citric notes from the champagne yeast and finishes dry and woody.

M - Lots of carbonation on this one that fills the palate. Light/medium body that leaves the palate bone dry almost. A sipper due to the dryness and amount of carbonation present.

O - A superb example of style IMO and a very interesting line-up of ingredients. The brett blends excellently with the champagne yeast and the flavors produced are spot on.

4.33/5  rDev -2.3%

In honor of our current trade, I decided to crack open a bottle from our previous trade. This one goes out to kmurray8621.

Batch E!018

Pours a clear golden color initially, and subsequent pours get more hazy and more orange. A very lively carbonation going on inside the glass. The head fizzes up and fizzes out without leaving and lacing, kind of disappointing but for a wild ale not uncommon. Probably the champagne yeast used.

The nose is incredibly sweet. I was kind of shocked, to say the least, after hearing how sour this was and how enjoyable. Sweet is somewhat of a turn off in wilds for me, and this one just isn't doing it for me. I get light (very light) tart smells but it's mostly sweet. Distinct sweet pear smell.

Thank god...this isn't sweet at all. In fact, it's incredibly tart and sour. Boy was I getting a little worried, but the first sip put all my worries to rest. A sour pear like flavor comes through the most, with light Brett characters right in the finish. A dry, acidic finish.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, with a crisp carbonation bite to go along with the stinging sourness and acidity. Drinkability is really good, maybe one of the most drinkable sours I've had.

Overall, while the nose wasn't quite what I wanted it to be, this one steps it up and finishes a winner. Glad I got to try this and even gladder I got a second bottle to sit on for a little while longer (while the only thing I hope it improves upon is losing the sweet nose).

Brute from Ithaca Beer Company