ELEVEN - Ithaca Beer Company

ELEVENELEVEN

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.50% ABV

Brewed with British, German, and French malts, American hops, and milk sugar, then aged for weeks on locally roasted Sumatra coffee beans.

(Beer added by: BeerTruth on 08-22-2009)
cpetrone84

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

A-not quite black in color, it is more of a very dark brown that pours a thin two fingers of bubbly deep caramel colored head that dissipates very quickly and leaves no lace

S-huge notes of coffee, roasted malt, some bitter chocolate with a light touch of sweet fruit at the back

T-the taste follows the nose pretty much spot on. you get big flavor of coffee, a lot of roasted malts, some chocolate and there is some sweet caramel in there as well. the finish also brings some sweet citrus on the back of the tongue

M-it has a pretty solid mouthfeel being relatively smooth and quite thick, it has a little too much carbonation for my taste, but not over-powering at all

D-it is pretty solid for the style, lots of flavor and it isn't too too strong. its very smooth and goes down nicely.

12-14-2009 00:19:36 | More by cpetrone84
Slatetank

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this bottle - poured chilled from the 750ml into a flared pint.

A- A dark opaque mocha color w/ reddish brown color at the base w/ thick cap of med brown. The head appears frothed w/ average sized beading - streamers of lace cling

S - A milk chocolate aroma w/ really sweet accent and roasty. Mild aroma of coffee w/ a creamy hint of vanilla

M - A moderately creamy feel w/ medium level of effervesence. The feel has a slight roasted texture, but overall malty w/ a smooth feel and mild sweet almost sugary finish

T - The flavor has a creamy maltiness that hints at lactose w/ light coffee and the taste has a subtle candy-like vanilla/carmel malt flavor w/ subtle milk chocolate smoothness in the taste. The hint of spice accents the stout w/ mild coffee bean notes...earthy, yet not dry w/ creamy as the best descriptor here. The flavor has a quality almost like tiramisu, w/ roasted coffee, cocoa and vanilla dessert flavors

D - The drikability is great w/ a smooth, not overroasted coffee and milk stout blend. So flavorful and subtle it tastes like under 5%, you only notice the alcohol as it nears cellar temp, a little strong/ sweet for more than 2 in a session IMO.

12-08-2009 14:59:28 | More by Slatetank
wagenvolks

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

750ml bottle (followed by a TEN) at the December BA tasting...thanks to stopbarking for the share!

Pours a thin, seal brown body with amber-ruby highlights around the edge. A dusty, custard head forms an ephemeral cap of foam before vanishing to near-nothingness. Aroma is roasted coffee beans and dark chocolate, with a big malty backdrop of caramel malt and cookie dough.

ELEVEN isn't the best coffee stout I've had, but solidifies itself well within the style, as notes of charred java and used coffee grounds add some acridity to the front of the tongue. Bitter roast and black pepper dominate the tail end, with a slight sourness from the milk sugar. Body is porter-like in thickness (which is to say it's rather thin for a stout), with a carbonated, drying finish. All in all a nice beer, but there are many better choices if you're looking for a good coffee stout; it doesn't help that the Ithaca TEN set my standards sky high for this one.

12-07-2009 05:49:39 | More by wagenvolks
frothyhead

3.4/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a deep dark brown with a one-finger tan head into a snifter.

Nose is huge with Sumatran coffee and roasted malt with a little bit of sugar sweetness and a milky creaminess coming through. Coffee pretty much dominates.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin for the style. Medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. A bit of creaminess for sure but this is secondary to the thin, watery first impression.

Taste is, as expected, all about the coffee. Sugary sweet up front with a ton of roastiness powering through and dominating the rest. Some mild dark fruit trying to stand out among the sweetness but not doing a great job.

Drinkability is relatively high. The thin mouthfeel actually makes it easier to continue drinking and makes it feel like less of a sipper. The 7.5% ABV will sneak up on you, and I'm pretty sure the coffee is contributing to a healthy caffeine buzz, making you even more likely to keep on sippin' (and maybe rearrange all the furniture or paint the house or ...).

Overall this is a decent beer. Honestly, it's different than I expected, mostly due to the thin mouthfeel. On a side note, the Sumatran coffee taste is actually the closest commercial equivalent that I've had to the taste of my last home brew. It's a different taste, and one I wasn't entirely sold on in my beer or this beer, but it's definitely worth trying.

12-06-2009 00:52:45 | More by frothyhead
Jayli

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

A: This beer pours a deep dark opaque chocolate brown with a one finger of light brown sudsy head. Head recedes pretty quickly, leaving some spotty lacing.

S: This has to be one of the best beers that I have ever smelled. Nose is of milk/creaminess, nice roasted malts, and a great coffee aroma. Nose isn't overpowering, perfectly done.

T: Taste starts with roasted malt and dark bitter chocolate upfront. Middle has a touch of milk chocolate, toastiness, and cream. Finish has quite a bit, possible hop presence, and a distinct coffee bitterness.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, somewhat dry finish, coffee bitterness remains.

D: Oh this is extremely well down, well blended, very tasty and goes down far too easily. I could sit with this one all night.

11-16-2009 01:53:41 | More by Jayli
DrewOSU

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Purchased at The Root Cellar in Cincinnati, OH.

A: Pours a simple black with a creamier head than the body. Very little carbonation and lacing is minimal

S: Strong, one dimensional, coffee nose. As soon as I quaffed my glass, the aroma reminded me of taking coffee grounds of a french roast that you brewed yesterday out of the coffee maker and taking a huge whiff. You get that cold remnants of fresh beans.

M/T: Medium body, with decent carbonation. It tastes exactly how it smells; cold coffee grinds, that with a slightly creamy base note. Again, very one dimensional. Its like drinking a cold cappuccino from McDonalds.

D: You can only drink so much of this. I shared half of my bottle with a friend. I appreciate and understand what Ithaca was trying to do with this brew, but I was hoping for more depth of flavor.

11-15-2009 16:12:12 | More by DrewOSU
Murchmac

Thanks to Lum for sending this beer to me under duress. You see we had a bet on the Bills Pats MNF game to open the season. Needless to say Lum's blind allegiance to a perennial crappy team has yielded me an excellent beer to drink.

Black, dark black, head that vanishes into the darkness like T.O.'s debut as a Bill who quietly caught 2 passes and dropped many others. Gone, like the expectations that Owens carried into Buffalo International Airport that summer day. Oh and Moss, he had 141 yards that day.

Coffee, some heat, bakers chocolate. Smells like a team grasping defeat from the jaws of victory...

Immediately feel the coffee effects upon drinking it. Feel undercurrents of the milk stout in it too...some smoke, so that means there's fire right? When Leodis McKelvin went down and you saw the Patriots players jumping for joy, you thought maybe where there's smoke there's fire. Only after your first sweet sip of victory did you know, yes, he fumbled in the red zone. What a delicious beer. It tastes like the dark dread of fear and anxiety of Bills fans with 1 minute and 6 seconds left as Brady connects to Ben Watson to go up by a point. 1 minute people. How sweet this beer is...

Nice sweet aftertaste. This tastes a little better than the bookend to the 2003 season beating the Bills 31-0, or when Troy Brown intercepted Drew Bledsoe when he was a Bill. This beer will age as well as the memories of the Pats coming back to beat the Bills that game. Thanks Lum for making this even better.

11-09-2009 05:12:31 | More by Murchmac
ptra1004

4.15/5  rDev +7%

So for my first review here, I decided on the Ithaca Eleven because I have not yet been disappointed with their Excelsior beers, and I thought I'd get a leg up to see if it was BA tasting worthy for next weekend. Someone before me mention it as an unusual stout, I'd have to agree.

Poured from the bottle, I got no head to speak of and not a ton of carbonation afterwards. Not one to let that be a deal breaker though, I LOVE the color. It's an intense dark black/blue/brown that lets no light pass. Beautiful.

The aroma is where I have a problem. This is strictly a personal problem in that we compost everything in our house, coffee grounds included. This beer reminds me very much of that smell. Great earthy undertones, but a lot of coffee ground in front.

I liken the taste to a coffee flavored Belgian (beer, not person). I'm unsure of the yeast they used, but I get some spicy flavor to accent the coffee and malt. It's delicious.

Great mouthfeel, not overly or under viscous, just right.

I don't know if I can finish the whole 750. Definitely share this one with a friend (or enemy if you wish to win them over). I will most likely buy and share more of this one! Good job Ithaca!

11-08-2009 23:56:10 | More by ptra1004
smcolw

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Near black in color. Large, beige head that leaves ample lace on the glass. No light shines through the glass, even on the edge.

Deep dark chocolate and earthy nose. No coffee smell at all.

The flavor continues the aroma profile except drier but with an essence of dried fruit, like raspberries and sour cherries. Lots of burnt toast! On the tongue, there's a strong bitterness that is similar to coffee grounds--very surprising. Not at all creamy or sweet. Long lasting, black patent malt aftertaste.

Overall, a very different stout with extraordinary burnt malt flavors.

11-07-2009 01:08:37 | More by smcolw
TonyVic

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

The beer is made with 40 pounds of roasted Sumatra beans from Ithaca Coffee Company and that flavor really shows through. You could almost even describe it as an iced coffee with a beer finish. This is a really good beer that I would recommend to be served with breakfast (half joking) or dessert.

The initial aroma is very similar to what you expect to find when you pick up a cup of coffee, but as you drink it those aromas and initial flavors part to show a very well crafted chocolate milk stout. Sweetness from the milk sugar added to the beer gives to a nice finish.

Because of the rich flavors and heaviness, it is difficult to drink a lot of this beer in one sitting. I highly recommend enjoying this with friends.

11-04-2009 14:51:14 | More by TonyVic
tpd975

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Huge thanks to BeerTruth for this one. One I really wanted to try the minute I heard it was being made.

A: Pours a nice dark flat black with a tall cream colored head. Okay retnention but no real lace noted.

S: Nice strong coffee in the aroma, more fresh medium roast than espreeso. Bakers chcolate, roasted malt, and a touch of char.

T: Nice bold roasted coffee, just short of espresso. Bakers chocolate, smoke, and grassy green hops. The lactose sweetness is on the front end, with the finish having a good blast of coffee bitterness, and bitter grassy green hops.

M: Medium in body, good carbonation, bitter coffee/hoppy finish.

D: Good, put down the bomber all by myslef for breakfast. Nice tasty coffee brew which as of last has been my favorite style.

Thanks Adam, it was worth the wait!

10-29-2009 15:57:42 | More by tpd975
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Picked this up in Brookline at Wine Gallery. Served in a stein.

A - Two and a half fingers of quick dissolving tan foam that leaves a few isolated spots of lace and a solid cap. Dark, dark, brown color, that would be transparent if held to a very bright light. Some nice hints of lighter browns and reds.

S - Wow - there is a ton of coffee in this bad boy! There's also a good amount of baker's chocolate, lactose sugar, a hint of vanilla, and even a bit of floral hop character.

T - The taste is quite similar, but with a fair amount of roasty bitterness in the finish. The aftertaste features an odd and slightly off-putting old coffee flavor, which brings this beer down a tiny bit.

M - Carbonation is a little too tingly for my liking, and the body is medium-thin but still fairly smooth. Lots of residual stickiness.

D - Very drinkable at 7.5%, as the alcohol is very well-hidden and the flavor is quite nice. Not as intense or "special" tasting as the TEN, but still a very enjoyable brew.

10-18-2009 23:22:32 | More by MasterSki
asabreed

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

25.4 oz bottle into a Brooklyn tulip. Watched during The Office episode where Pam and Jim get married. Figured I'd vicariously celebrate a TV wedding with them. Picked up at the brewery a few weeks ago.

Appearance: A little lighter in color than a lot of other stouts, though I'm not sure if this is a double, a RIS, a regular stout or what. I'd guess maybe 7-9% ABV, but who knows with all that coffee? Not much head at all, and it's a feat to try and get some lacing on this sucker. What saves it, however, is the awesome sludgy translucence on the edges, surrounded by the pupil-black body, adding a kind of weirdly layered and pretty dimension that I haven't seen in many stouts.

Smell: That's big time coffee, folks. Roasted, toasted, mosted, which isn't even a word. There's some subtle chocolate sweetness coming into play also, but I'm not sure if that's from the lactose or not. There's also some creaminess involved, or some silkiness, in the aroma, which, again, may be due to the lactose, but once again, I'm not sure. But for as strong as it is, there's something calming about all the bitterness and roasted nature of it, and it seems to sing.

Taste: I think the lactose here was a good move, as it adds a dimension of sweetness without seeming too fake or overly sweet. And there's a creaminess that kind of reminds me of super strong black coffee doused with cream and sugar. And you know, I never thought that "morning beers" could ever be taken seriously, but if there ever was a morning beer, this would be it, as long as you're not driving of course. Your breath would smell like coffee, also, and certainly not brew. Finish is semi and welcomingly acrid, with some creamy sweetness and huge roasted bitterness, nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel: A pretty creamy beer overall, not really chewy, and it thankfully is more medium-bodied, which makes me think at this point it could possibly be in the 6-7% range ABV-wise, but again, I'm probably totally off.

Drinkability: You have to start out, if you're not, with "Not being a coffee drinker..." with this brew. It's infused with coffee, not defined by nuanced hints of coffee, so beware. That said I really like it and find it an enjoyable sipper. I feel like I'm typing really fast also, so maybe the caffeinated nature of it is getting to me. I wonder how this will do being cellared also. I'm glad I tried it, and another plus in the Excelsior Series from Ithaca.

10-09-2009 02:22:07 | More by asabreed
dbexpert

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Oh my god, Holy shit, those where the words drawn out by the aroma.
A. dark chocolate color w a tinge of an amber glow, Head definetly has a nice chocolate milk color
S. One of the better smelling beers, The coffee and rich roasted malt notes are extrordinary
T. Not sure of what i was looking for but definetly hits style but not over delivered, definitly a beer to be pared with a dessert. coffee is dominant, followed by rich robust roasted malt flavors, all though, well-balanced
M. rich, dominated by coffee notes, I would prefer a more cream texture, similiar to LH's milk stout, but good overall
D. Definitly not something i would consume in large quanities. The 750ml is enough expeirence to satisfy two people and maybe a third if you are willing to share

Definitly a beer to try. I would like to revist this beer after cellaring for a year or so. I think this would round out the flavor balance. If you find them buy two, One now, one to cellar! p.s. if you don't like coffee don't buy this beer and say it is awful because it taste like coffee, just say'n!

10-07-2009 00:26:03 | More by dbexpert
IBUnit63

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Was happy to see this in the vicinity, so finally I'm pouring it into a Portsmouth snifter...

Wow - this head is bready...lots of muffin tunnels...a fair amount of light maple candy color. Sort of like a heady root beer. Color isn't quite espresso dark; it's more like Dunkin iced coffee dark. Would expect a little more thickness, but it still looks good. Decent retention.

The scent is sort of like a tinny version of Peche Mortel. A shitload of coffee smacks the nose like a 4th-line goon in a hockey fight. A very dry slate-like character and a fair amount of hop grass rounds this out.

Y'know, I'm getting a lot of smoke here. Smoke...or slate...or charcoal dust. Very husky with a rauch-like tendency. A bit of warmth cleans it up to reveal some HUGE malt and coffee notes. It's interesting how quickly this burns off and is a nice reminder about letting beers breathe for at least a few minutes.

It may be psychological but the coffee flavor feels like it's pulsing through my veins at the moment. Very dry and slate-like. Hop grass mixes actually quite well with the coffee to create a little balance with the hardcore chocolate and roasted malts. It's a little uneven, albeit very good, and I'm still not sure how warm or cold to drink this. Definitely not enough weight at room temperature but cold would be a waste. A freaky tweener, this Eleven.

I'm finding myself ready to devour this, even though I don't know what to make of it. The coffee has transformed me to The Great Cornholio so I'm bouncing off the fucking walls at the moment. "Butt-head, what happened to Beavis?" "He like ate 27 candy bars...and then he drank a 6-pack of root beer..." "...Nicar-AGUA...AGUA for my bung-hooole..." OK, I'll stop now...wait, didn't Beavis pull that shit at a coffeehouse spoken word night or something? Obviously I watched too much TV in 1995 - and forgot even more of it...

10-07-2009 00:00:15 | More by IBUnit63
rosmhuire

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%

Had this on tap at Copperfield's in NYC

A: Dark brown. Not a lot of carbonation.

S: Holy chocolate and coffee batman!

T: All malt here. This is extremely interesting. I'm not sure if I'm drinking a chocolate latte or a beer.

M: N/A to me.

D: Not even close to being a drinkable beer. The milk component really asserts itself. This is sort of a beer milkshake. It is definitely unique, and I'm glad I tried it, but this is not something you can session.

10-06-2009 01:21:26 | More by rosmhuire
nickd717

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Draft sampled.

A - Pours black with a medium tan head and good lacing.

S - Amazing aroma of coffee, roast, chocolate, and hints of dark fruit.

T - Coffee and cream, vanilla, roasted malt, burnt notes, mild smoke, and berries. This is damn good.

M - Finish is a bit dry yet palate is smooth. Just a bit watery for the style.

D - Good for the style. Overall this is a great beer.

10-01-2009 18:59:20 | More by nickd717
WesWes

The beer pours a dark black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a very nice roasted malt and coffee scent along with some sweet lactose and chocolate malt aroma. The taste is good as well. It has a dry roasted feel with a bitter black malt and coffee edge. It gives up a bit of hop character and a slightly sweet finish. I think I would have left the lactose out of this one myself. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a pretty good stout. I love the concept, but I'm a bigger fan of the Kaffinator beer. This one might be a little too bold for it's own good.

09-26-2009 22:30:10 | More by WesWes
Hojaminbag

Colorado

Very dark brown body that is opaque at its heart and dark ruby around the edges. Three fingers of light brown head appear; is made of very large carbonation bubbles that have a bunch of air in them. The result is that you can see the head collapsing as each bubble pops. Even so, the head has pretty good retention; only spotty lacing though.

The aroma is strongly reminiscent of raw coffee beans. The initial coffee blast softens to a mocha-type scent as the dark malt surfaces. A touch of caramel sweetness lies underneath. This one is definitely dominated by coffee beans in the aroma.

Up front Eleven greets me with a blast of straight, strong coffee. After that the coffee softens a bit and lets some chocolate come through, making it taste a bit like a mocha. After that it takes on a flavor that tastes a lot like a mocha with cream and sugar added, which is strange in a good way. A pinch of hops is underneath all of that, adding a bit of spicy bitterness and a touch of citrus. The finish and after taste are packed with more fresh brewed coffee. Overall, this is a beer that is for the coffee and coffee-beer lovers.

The mouthfeel has a creaminess to it, but is probably moderate or even light in body. Fairly high in carbonation also.

Good drinkability; a pretty good coffee beer overall. At the brewery they told me this thing has a ton of caffeine; about as much as three cups of coffee, so keep that in mind before you crack one of these open. I held off until a weekend night to drink it as I don't normally consume caffeine.

09-08-2009 15:45:26 | More by Hojaminbag
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

"Malt beverage with coffee added.

Our anniversary ale, ELEVEN is brewed with British, German, and French malts, American hopsand milk sugar. It's aged for weeks on locally roasted Sumatra Coffee Beans.

Enjoy the deep mocha color, sumptuous roasted aroma, rich flavor, and smooth creamy finish."

Picked this up at the brewery for $10, heard about this one for a while now, really been looking forward to it.

750 ml bottle poured into my Ithaca Excelsior! tulip. Batch# E!016.

Pours an absolute black with a quick two finger light brown head that dies down to a thin layer of bubbles that last throughout. Not much in terms of lacing, a couple spots here and there but that's about it. Smell...ok folks, this is probably one of the most intense coffee aromas I've ever experienced in a beer. Strong fresh ground coffee beans with chocolate malts and a touch of vanilla. Some lactose and slight smokiness in the nose as well. Taste is seriously all about the coffee. Rich French roast coffee that was brewed this morning with cane sugar and a few drops of creamer. Aftertaste is sweet with cocoa powder, vanilla beans, and a touch of smoked malts. It's really hard to believe that this is beer. Body is surprisingly light with a fairly creamy feel and a touch aggressive carbonation. The abv is not listed on the bottle, but I can't imagine it being more than 6%...and if it is, Chief did a hell of a job masking the warmth. I enjoyed this most at close to room temperature. If you're a coffee lover, this is an absolute MUST! Another winner in the Excelsior! lineup, but what else did you expect? Hopefully multiple batches of this are brewed like there were of TEN. Cheers to the whole Ithaca crew for adding another amazing beer to your arsenal.

08-22-2009 01:15:34 | More by BeerTruth