Cold Front - Ithaca Beer Company

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured into pint glass

A: Light reddish brown, moderate head and retention

S: Sweet caramel w/ slight spicy aroma

T: Malty/toasty w/ spicy hop bitterness

M: High carbonation, dry finish, medium body

D: Smooth, well balanced, and extremely enjoyable!!

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%

A - Thick, dark brown-black color. A large, fluffy head that lasts a long, long time. Quite a bit of lacing.

S - Very complex scent. Fruity bread dough, rye crust, molasses, spice and a zesty citrus overtone. Very strong and appealing.

T - Very Belgian taste. Molasses and gingerbread notes. Spicy and sweet at the same time. Banana-like fruitiness, with a tart finish.

M - Couldn't ask for much more.

D - A bit of a citric aftertaste, and I could stand the finish being a little less sour. However, overall this beer was way more than I had expected. Definitely will be buying this again.

4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

I tried this out at the Bronx Ale House last night. A new name from Ithaca and I was intrigued as to what the taste would be. Poured a frothery 2 finger head with an Ice-T brownish color. Minimal aroma beyond a big malt plate. First taste was a rush of the malt as well as wheat malt. I assumed this was a dunklewheat but perhaps a true American style saison as I've never seen one this dark and wheaty. Nevertheless went down with medium mouthfeel and as smooth as silk. This is another great brew out of Ithaca.

4.32/5  rDev +19.3%

Woo hoo! This is today's sleeper. I thought I had remembered good things about Ithaca beers. It was a good memory and this is adds to that.

First off, I am heading back to that store and buying MORE. It was a super deal - $6.99 for 6. I don't think that's right. This tastes like something that should be more expensive.

Very authentic tasting. Rich and Belgian tasting. Dark and kind of woody. This is how it should be. At $6.99, I'm getting as much as they have!

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Deep Dark Brown with beautiful white head and lacing. Faint nose of hops with a mild belgian yeast thing going on. Tastes somewhat strong but with some nice fruity stuff happening to bring it full circle,very nice! Medium mouth but good carbonation ,a lot going on here! Great change of pace brew and the name spells it out perfectly,this is the second year I'll be enjoying this one through the winter. Glad to have come acrooss this one!!!!

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Recently picked up a 6'er of this at Big Z's in Huntington, NY after a "Taste of NY" beer tasting event that they hosted. I tried 2 others from Ithaca and at least 2 from each of several other breweries from NY and this was one of my favs (hence leaving with the 6'er).

Poured from 12oz bottle into an Ommegang tulip.

A - Poured a deep dark ruby brown with hints of amber on the sides when held to the light. Very thin yeasty head.

S - Sweet candy followed by citrus and malty fruitpunch. Great smelling beer.

T - Cherry, grape, sugar, citrus, orange and some alcohol spices. Really complex Saison. Much darker and rich in flavor than some others I've tried. The alcohol is definitely there, but the blend is pretty even and smooth.

M - Crisp and evenly blended. LOTS of carbonation, but it goes well with this beer. One of my favorite seasonals I've tried this year.

D - At the tasting, after trying everything I found myself going back and forth between this one and the capt lawrence liquid gold. Cold Front is an extremely drinkable brew and I think this one would be accessible to a wide variety of palettes.

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured a hazy, dark brown with almost no head from a 12 oz bottle with freshness date on the label but no ABV.
Aroma is typical of a belgian; hints of spice, nutmeg and green cardamom, with sweet fruity esters/banana and yeast.
Taste upfront is of cherries, dried fruits (raisins), some licorice and alcohol sweetness, typical of a dubbel. Very good lacing along the insides of the glass.
Mouthfeel falls short of what I was expecting of a dubbel. Nowhere near as silky and creamy as I would have liked. By saying that, I am taking nothing away from this ale, which in its own right is still a solid and delicious brew.
Drinkability is good mainly because the ABV is masked well.
Another solid ale from Ithaca Beer Company and should be tried by anyone who enjoys dubbel's. Definitely recommended.

4.29/5  rDev +18.5%

Came out with nearly half head when poured into a high glass. This amber ale smelled fantastic -- very memorable. The taste is a sweet Belgian dark style -- chewy is the best way to describe it. It's a craft brew for sure: this would scare your average beer drinker away. I'm more of Belgian purist and this is an interpretation of the style more than anything else. Worthy if you can get it.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

A-Pours a nice cherry red-reddish brown color. Head is about a thumb width. Head holds up nicely.

S-A real nice smell to the beer, very pleasing to the senses. Huge floral notes up front. I don't know if "amber" refers to a colder time of year, but I smell a season. Almost like a late fall/early winter combo (p.s. I know amber refers to color ;)) A tad fruity as well (can't place the fruit smell).

T-Almost a grape/apple cocktail. I like this very much. Hops are present at the top of the mouth.

M-Super smooth and a bit chewy. I like the way the beer feels in my mouth.

D-Insanely drinkable for a belgian style ale. Smooth drinking.

I've enjoyed this beer for a few months now. I'm glad I've gotten around to finally reviewing it. Ithaca is slowly becoming one of a my new favorite breweries.

Cold Front from Ithaca Beer Company