2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

LeBleu - Ithaca Beer Company

LeBleuLeBleu

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: almychristopher on 01-01-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 409 | Reviews: 206 | Show All Ratings:
olympuszymurgus

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

I am a blueberry whore. I just love them. I also love soured ales, so why did it take this long for me to get my grubby farmer hands onto a blueberry aged sour?

This years batch, fresh and bubbly.

A slight hiss as purple the cork slips out, the pours fires off with a hissy bubble, carbonated like soda, popping. blueberries fill the room, a childish giggle comes from, where? dear god am I the one giggling?

Pure blueberry awesome, puckering sour with bold and brassy yeasties. Divinity in a purplish hue.

What more is there? why am I crying?

02-22-2011 04:39:31 | More by olympuszymurgus
Charlotte09

South Dakota

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Pours a Rosy orange grapefruit color. Beer is slightly carbonated with with a bubbly white head that vanishes quickly.

S: Smells potent of sourness and tart fruit with blueberries and strawberries. Aroma is quite amazing.

T: Upfront pretty sour taste that coincides with the smell pretty well. Sourness is carried through with slight hints of strawberry and blueberry. Has a tart finish but follows through pretty fruity.

M: Has a pretty active body but does not overpower the taste or substance. Very Enjoyable

Very enjoyable beer, love the puckery tartness with berry combination. Would love to have this beer again, very well done wild ale.

04-04-2011 02:05:57 | More by Charlotte09
rowingbrewer

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

I have had this beer on three occasions and this last one inspired me to review it. The beer pours a lovely blue hued but almost entirely transparent Color. The smell is bluebuerries funk and a rice tartness. The flavor was really nice blueberries up front followed by an almost puckering sourness and funk. Wow this beer was sour this time around as was the brute we had next to it. The mouthfeel was light and dry with good carbonation. Overall the best fruited American wild I have had

01-12-2012 15:18:33 | More by rowingbrewer
Duhast500

Rhode Island

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

I am very glad I decided not to trade this beer and have it for myself.

Batch E!021

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a Allagash tulip glass.

The color is a very cloudy peach color with some red and orange highlights.The head is white but left pretty quickly in a poppy effervescent.

The smell is blueberry with a slight strawberry flavor that leans toward champagne and has slight sourness that is very engaging.

The taste is sour with a nice fruity flavor that is a bit strawberry and a bit blueberry with touch of melon as well. The taste is every bit a fruit salad with a bubbly, poppy sour flavor that hits the taste buds just right at the beginning. Some small bitterness comes out for a moment, like it is pushed behind a soundproof wall, the bitterness is muted by a loud 18 wheeler of sour tanginess at the end. It's leading the parade and makes you forget any bitterness.

The feel of this beer is light but gives the impression of a bigger beer. There is a zing that pops in my mouth and reminds me why I love well crafted beers. This is one of those beers.

12-01-2010 08:25:28 | More by Duhast500
lovindahops

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

200th review!!! Had to bang this one out with a rare find from my favorite brewery! One to have tonight and one to cellar. E! 032

A- pours a pink grapefruit look with nice head of ghost white foam that slowly resides to mere bubbles on the surface. Literally a color I have never seen before

S- amazing berry scent that is draped in both tart and sour themes. Very sweet and funky at the same time. Very dry and crisp at the same time with the scent. Not only is Lebleu's scent mouth watering, but it's complex too

T- I love wild ales like this! A perfect slap our sour blueberries peaking with the brett to make an unbelievable combination of flavor. The barnyard funk is around to make it completely worthwhile. The end is a rocket launch of sour and dry components. This is great!

M- good carbonation on the tongue. While it doesn't rip away at your mouth, some aging with this bottle will help

D- another Ithaca brew that states, "believe the hype." Lebleu is a fantastic tasting wild ale that packs fantastic attributes of sour flavor and solid fruit. The blueberries are not overwhelming and I think that is a good thing. This will be a brew I go back to every single year. Another great job Ithaca

02-05-2011 00:27:11 | More by lovindahops
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

750ml capped + corked bottle, batch 32, into a Weyerbacher tulip. Huge thanks to Chris for sharing this major want of mine.

A: Clear ruby-red grapefruit body with a fleeting head of coarse white bubbles. I'd like some residual head, but the color is phenomenal.

S: Super sour, with in-your-face lemony, lactic acidity. Light Bretty funk and lovely fruit (more strawberry than blueberry, actually - reminiscent of Frute!) add complexity, but the focus is always on the serious sourness. Balance, intensity, complexity: this aroma has it all. Amazing.

T: Follows the nose precisely, with shudder-inducing tartness providing the platform for light fruit (more of the strawberry) sweetness that balances perfectly with the dominant sourness. So, so good.

M: Light, lively body. Great vivacity without taking too much away from the substance.

D: Amazing. I could drink multiple bottles with ease.

Notes: I heard last year's LeBleu was a bit of an overcarbonated mess, but boy did Ithaca nail it with this batch. I've been trying to give out fewer 5s lately, but this one forced my hand. There's just something so beautiful about a great sour. I may have to try to trade for a bottle or two of my own...

Cheers!

02-17-2011 02:46:45 | More by woosterbill
WesWes

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

The beer pours a reddish/pink color with a thick frothy white head with pink tints that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a damn sour aroma with some light blueberry accents. It's light and dry and ohh so sour. The taste is perfect. It's light and fruity with a killer sourness right up there with some of Cantillion's best offerings. Wow, what a beer! The chief has really delivered with this one. The blueberry character is present, but really only adds color and a bit of complexity. The rest is unadulterated Brett, horse hair sourness. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a beautiful beer. It's more than I could have imagined. Great job, everyone at Ithaca Beer Company! Hail to the Chief!

01-01-2010 03:55:16 | More by WesWes
Avagadro

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Wrote out this review on paper months ago, and only recently decided to submit it.

A: Pours off-pink with a heaping mound of foam. The brew is somewhere between straw and purple in color.

S: Brett is upfront and bold. Smells like a good lambic is about to hit my tongue.

T: Fairly dry, with distict notes of Brett. and Lacto. in the form of farmhouse funk and puckering acidity. After the sour rush fades, the brew exhibits a subtle hint of blueberries. Very enjoyable.

M: Light, clean body with heavy carbonation and a touch of astringency.

D: One of the best American Lambics out there. I was worried that this was going to be along the lines of the notoriously aweful Cranberry Lambic, but this one is legit. Ithaca definitely had their notebooks out when they were tasting Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen's offerings. This is an authentic version of the style, and is truly enjoyable.

05-21-2010 17:43:48 | More by Avagadro
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Huge thanks goes to sweemzander for surprising me with this beauty last time I stopped by. Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A: Amber orange with a slight red tint. About a finger of off white head. Some soapy lace left behind.

S: It starts with a modest lactic sourness that fades into a pleasant
sweetness. Tart and sweet red berries, lemons, grape skins. The funkiness starts to really come through as it warms. Giving it that great barnyard I search for in my wilds.

T: The flavor is nothing short of amazing. Perfect balance of sweet and sour. The tartness of lemon and white grape mixed with mild red berry sweetness. The funk is mild but apparent. This reminds me so much of brute. Just a touch sweeter.

M: Medium to light body with a good amount of sharp carbonation.

O: This one did not let me down. Ithica has wild ales nailed. I could easily drink an entire bottle by myself.

03-21-2011 00:20:04 | More by beerwolf77
wrightro07

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

A: A strawberry red color with lots of carbonation but little head retention.
S: Very sour with a sweet fruit smell backbone
T: The taste of this brew is fantastic. I love the intensity of sourness. Also a nice blueberry backbone through out the experience.
M: Acidic with lots of carbonation
O: I really like this beer, and will be seeking it out again.

04-04-2011 01:52:48 | More by wrightro07
twiggamortis420

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750 mL bottle courtesy of sliverX pours a hazed dark gold color with a small, fizzy off white head. Gushed slowly, so beware.

Nose does show a little bit of blueberry tartness, but it is mostly sour goodness from the bacteria. YES! Beautiful...love it already.

Taste is so well balanced it is just about perfect. Its sour, but not overly so, there still remains a hint of fruit and brett. There are not too many beers that I think would be perfect in almost every situation, but this one comes damn close. Morning, noon or night...all perfect. If we could get breweries to do this easily and drink have sixers available for ~$15, Nirvana my friends...Nirvana.

10-30-2013 02:19:54 | More by twiggamortis420
CharlieMurphy

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Batch E!032

Split into 2 Duvel Tulips

Finally got around to trying this one after my roommate decided to bust it out to celebrate our first home brew day.

WOW!

A: waxish film sealed top that was difficult top get off, then there's a cork inside the bottle (below the rim). This cork was in there super snug, took me a few minutes to struggle it off with a corkscrew. Not to be opened while buzzed. This was my first beer and I still spilled a little. ** I randomly smelled the cork, and it literally smelled like a sweaty asshole, it was quite amazing **

Okay- this beer is deep ruby red with off white small bubbled head. It poured very lively with carbonation but kept a low head. Not really any lacing but theres some cloud on top of this gem of a beer that remained throughout. Lighter in color at the top (like a light pinkish). Some very small microbubble carbonation remains rising through the center

S: Screams Brett. I can tell this beer is going to be very sour and tart. Can also smell some of the brett funk here but not nearly as bad as the cork. I wouldn't be able to tell what fruits are in here, let alone blueberries, just that theres an extremely faint fruitiness behind the brett. Some clearness towards the end.

T: *First 5 in Taste!

smell x 5. So sour and tart, definitely the most sour and tart beer I've had yet. It's so damn delicious. Very crisp as well, initially. As with most beers, the first few tastes are the best. This is better colder, just as the bottle indicates ("serve <40*). The wine barrel aging is almost non-existant. If I didn't see it printed on the bottle, I wouldn't have been able to tell.

M: Mildly penetrates the pucker threshold, but only just barely and in a non-lip smacking way. Definitely a little residual sourness through the oral mucosa. Some mild heartburn does start to present itself halfway through my half of the bottle.

D: *First 5 in drinkability!

Wouldn't drink more than 1, probably wouldn't even tackle a bottle by myself, but this beer is impeccable. It's something that will definitely will please snobs and non-beer drinkers alike. Appropriate for any special occasion. I fucking love this beer. Wish I had got more than half a case in January.

04-07-2011 03:02:54 | More by CharlieMurphy
almychristopher

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

this beer pours a very pretty amber red color with an off white head, the off white is a bit purple. the foamy head seam is determined to last out the session. the aroma brings the wild yeast strains; ala, le brute strong in the forefront backed nicely by the fruity esters and fruit from the blueberry. the taste starts very nicely with the sweet blueberry and malt, and contrasts nicely with the sour fruity wild yeast esters, and the spicy finish. the light body, low alcohol and aggressive carbonation will make this an easy bottle to finish.

01-01-2010 03:15:25 | More by almychristopher
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Picked up a couple bottles at the brewery.

750 ml. (blue) corked bottle with a blue foil top poured into a tulip. I was told this was aged in three different wine barrels from three different local Finger Lakes wineries...awesome. Not enough wine barrel aging in the beer world if you ask me. Paired with Aliza's blueberry pancakes :)

Pours a stunning reddish-purple with a light pink three finger fluffy cloud head. Amazing stick with this, thick lacing holds on tight to the sides of the glass. Just an amazing looking beer overall. Very Brute-esque in the nose; funky aromas consisting of citrus, grass, horse blanket, and earth. As for the blueberries, they're definitely there but kept in check with a good dose of wine barrel as well. Taste starts off with tart berries, funky hay, and a touch of oak. Midway crisp lemon flavors emerge with a slight vinegar sting, but not much. Aftertaste is quick and crisp with a sour bite. Only thing I could use more of on the tongue are more blueberries, still amazing flavors regardless. The feel is killer. So light and refreshing with a high carbonation, perfect for the style. As for drinkability, Le Bleu is insanely easy to drink...almost too easy. I love this beer, do I dare say I love it more than Brute? Yes. Another amazing sour from Chief. Looking forward to seeing what some age will do to this. Get this one while you can folks.

01-03-2010 17:55:10 | More by BeerTruth
younger35

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

The man, the myth, the letdown sent me this beautiful bottle of goodness (aka BeerTruth). I loves me a fruited beer and I've been super excited to try this since I heard they were brewing it. Popped for the Vikings vs. Cowboys playoff game. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Batch E!021

Appearance- Pours a light pinkish with decent clarity, loads of Champaign like bubbles and a two finger bright white head from a VERY gentle pour. A fantastic cap and collar remains the entire beer as does sheets and sheets of thick sticky lacing.
Smell- A light blueberry tartness is fairly apparent from the first whiff I take. The sourness isn't all that strong in the nose but there is a sort of underlying earthiness that is dank and dirty. Nice sort of ying and yang with the freshness of the blueberries and earthiness of the Brett. As the beer warms I swear the blueberries get a bit more intense and smell more like strawberries than they do blueberries. A bit of grass and fresh hay also sneak in every now and again.
Taste- Starts with a light fruity tartness that isn't really blueberry per say, just sort of a citric berry thing. I'd almost say it's more white grapes than berry if I didn't know better. The wine barrels definitely add their share of acidic sharpness and I think that may be the majority of the grape like attributes that cut into the blueberries. The beer isn't all that sour yet but given some time it'll pucker up nicely. The barrel is light but a nice smooth oak is noticeable in the background adding some vanillin and a light tannic quality. The finish is quenching and fruity and lightly acidic.
Mouthfeel- A tad on the light side for me with some fairly aggressive carbonation that settles nicely after a few minutes.
Drinkability- I really really liked this brew a lot. Although I would like a bit more sour, that will happen with time. The blueberry is nice and really comes forward more as the beer warms. This beer is drastically better as it warms and really comes together nicely. Honestly, after my first sip when it was cold, I was sort of disappointed. But after warming the glass with my hands for about 5 minutes, I'm seriously impressed. Totally kick ass beer that's just gonna get better and better. Thanks Adam!

01-19-2010 02:46:15 | More by younger35
rye726

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a rusty burgungy with an active, pinkish white head. Settles to a silky cover, nice lace and retention.

Nose has sour blueberries, oak wine barrels, horseblanket, musty hay and damp farmyard soil.

Taste is a lovely blend of fresh blueberries, barnyard funk, white wine grapes, oak and a lactic tartness.

Crisp refreshing body is very well carbonated. Nice dry, acidic finish.

Another great sour from Ithaca. Right up there wuth the best sours in the world.

04-25-2010 02:44:02 | More by rye726
doughanson78

Washington

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Very beautiful orange with red hints. Looks wine like. One finger fizzy white head with barely any retention or lacing.

S: Nice funkiness. Pretty sour and tart. Blueberries are very subtle but work very well. Awesome smelling beer.

T: Sweet and tart upfront. Not as funky as the nose. Tart and funky finish with sour apples and again very subtle hints of blueberry that work very well.

M: Light body. High carbonation. Super crisp and super dry finish.

O: This is up there with the best sours I've had. I was apprehensive about this being over the top with blueberries, but majorly surprised. Awesome beer. A must try.

01-20-2012 18:11:09 | More by doughanson78
jrallen34

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

I drank this from a 750 ml bottle into my Rodenbach tulip.

The beer pouts a pinkish purple with huge carbonation. The light pink head fills up the glass instantly. It stays forever and as it falls leaves tons of chunky head and lacing.

The aroma is very tart, lots of horse blanket, almost stings the nose. You don't get much more than the tart, wish there was a little more complexity there.

The taste is much more muted than the aroma. I was expecting a total pucker but this was a smooth drinker. It starts out tart than fades quiclky to a little sweetness at the end. The finish really fizzes like you are drinking champagne, its very unique. There is some oak in there as well.

Overall, this is a very good lambic. Its tart, but allows you to drink it and has a nice distinctness to it. It could be world class if there was a little more bluberry in it.

The feel is decent, but this is incredibly drinkable for a tart lambic.

01-16-2010 03:21:54 | More by jrallen34
aerozeppl

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle split amongst friends at Cambridge Commons at the post EBF brunch.

I did have the other blueberry sour so....

A: Really nice looking purplish golden color. At some points it looked more red at other points it looked more purple. A little bit of white head with quite big bubbles. Tons of visible carbonation as well.

S: REALLY funky. Bret is all over this beer. Little bit of horse. You never really get the in your face blueberry that I know I was looking for. You get a little bit of tartness in the nose for sure though.

T: If you gave this to me and said try this beer I would love it. The label drives the demmands up. It is a super funky beer and you can totally taste the Brute in here. It is a tart horse and a great one at that. You get some fruit but you really had to strech out to say wow there it is blueberries.

M: Super light and dry just like brute. Even a touch drier.

D: I loved this beer. I feel like my review was ragging on it a bit but this is an excellent beer and a world class sour. Cellaring wise the longer you hold on to this the little blueberry in there will fade and this will keep getting funkier if you are into that sort of thing.

02-24-2010 14:35:30 | More by aerozeppl
Gueuzedude

Arizona

Sampled January 2010
Extremely fizzy, the beer pours with a purple / pink tinged off white colored head. Even a careful pour sees my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip filling up with foam and even overflowing the sides of my glass. The beer is a murky, honey / pale-amber color that shows a red-tinged, light amber color when held up to the light. The aroma smells of earthy, musky Brettanomyces backed by a subtle, floral fruitiness. Somewhat cheesy smelling (in a funky farmhouse cheese way), musty (like damp, slightly molded earth), . The fruitiness here is quite noticeable, even if not dominant, and for some reason I want to describe the aroma as pink; I can't really figure out why, but this is what the blueberry notes make me think of, perhaps it is because the beer smells very floral like too. The smell of pink (definitely a fruity smell), I am not sure what it is, but this describes it perfectly for me. There is a light tartness to this beer, almost more urea than lactic smelling. Yep this is definitely heavily influenced by Brettanomyces.

Fairly dry tasting as it hits my tongue, there is perhaps a hint of sweetness let that accentuates a fruitiness to the finish. The fruit in the finish really lingers and it morphs into various flavor phases; berry like at first, it then has a lightly chalky children's aspirin flavor (fake grape I think) and finally it has a blueberry skin tannic edge that tastes of fleshy ripe blueberries but causes a touch of puckering from the light astringency. There is a nice, light tartness to this beer; mostly lactic, with just a wisp of urea towards the finish, and there is probably both an influence from the blueberries and perhaps even the wine barrels. Speaking of which, the oak here is nicely soft, it is noticeable, but doesn't dominate the other flavors; there is a definite textural tannic structure to the body in the finish, there are some softly spicy oak notes as well as a lightly toasty wood character in the middle and finish. My wife tastes banana in this beer, and now that she mentioned it, there is a soft note of this here that I pick up on.

After a fresh pour I have some opportunity to eat foam lest my glass over-flows again. The foam is light and fruity tasting with a soft acidity. The beer underneath this voluminous head is quite fizzy, which seems to work for this light, tannic supported, beer. While the fruitiness here doesn't seem to be distinctly blueberry based, it is at a really nice level; there is a definite influence in the profile of this beer, but it only adds to the complexity and doesn't drown out the funky and barrel derived notes. This is one of those beers where a 750 of it disappears way faster than you would prefer. The funkiness isn't quite as pronounced as it is in the aroma, but it is still quite noticeable with a definite muskiness, some woody mushroom flavors and a finish that has a light, chalky, slightly medicinal phenolic character to it.

This is actually quite nice, I wasn't sure what to expect, but this is damn good. I did really love Brute batch 1, but I still haven't gotten it into my head that Ithaca brews some tasty sours; and they do. With the blend of 1, 2 and 3 year old barrells this might evoke some comparisons with Lambics, but this is definitely not that, even if it does have many of the flavor components from a Lambic. This isn't nearly as sour (which is really the main difference), but I still am enjoying this with out the bracing acidity I so often crave. This beer does show the great finesse that I like to see in a fine Gueuze; it is a balance between earthy notes, a strong muskiness, light oak, noticeable fruit and, in this case, light acidity that makes this beer such a joy to drink.

03-07-2010 17:00:08 | More by Gueuzedude
MadScientist

4.61/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

E!032 Thanks Jeff.

A: It pours with a two fingers of thick rocky foam that starts of with a pink blush but fades to off-white as the foam drains. The beer is a pale amber with a red hue and a bit of orange. Despite the haze and the floaters this is a great looking beer.

S: There is a light berry aroma with under a moderate amount of sharp, acidic sourness. The sourness has a some of hay and a faint horsiness like a nice Lambic there isn't any of the Brett character so I'm think this might be just Pediococcus and Belgian Yeast. Nothing else is coming through, so no hops, no malt and no diacetyl.

T: It's got a nice sharp sourness to it but not as much as I seem to remember from the one had a couple of years ago. The fruit flavors are of light blueberry skins and have faded as is to be expected when you age a the fruit will fade and the lambic character will dominate. A light vanilla flavor probably from oak. There is a light complimentary sweetness mid-palate but this ends up being vary dry on the finish. The after taste is a sweet tart sort of a flavor with a faint bit of fruitiness.

M: Moderately-light bodied with a strong, fine carbonation that dances across the palate. The high carbonation brings a light dryness to tongue.

O: An elegant sour fruit beer, this one being a couple years old has more of the Lambic qualities coming through. The sweet tart balance help up the impression of the fruitiness. It worth the headache of release day to get bottle if I can otherwise I'll have to hunt down Cantillon to satiate my need for awesome, dry sours.

01-17-2013 02:02:29 | More by MadScientist
Slatetank

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have been looking forward to trying this - thanks Stakem for sharing at my wild ale tasting yesterday. Poured chilled from the bottle into a tulip.

A rosy/reddish tinged color w/ mild haze and tight bead with white cap adorning the liquid -spots of lace collect in a random fashion. The smell is instense! strong sour notes of fruit and yeast with a lemony berry combo. Some funk odors are present with earthy light aspects adding a mild sweet herb note to the fruit and sour aroma fromthe wild yeast w/ an almost lactic quality. The tart texture hits the tongue and spreads quickly giving a puckering effect of strong sour w/ light acidic quality and high carbonation adds to the drying astringency w/ some sweetness from the fruit as an afterthought.

The funky strong lactic essence carries over from smell to taste with more tart and strong juiciness w/ blueberry skin acidic flavor -juicy but in the way a pie is juicy, not sweet really with dry malt accenting the hints of berry and lactic culture -sour all the way into the finish w/ tart acidity and a bit like blueberry lemonade which to me means it has the pucker factor but is balanced by some berry qualities -after the first initial jolt of sourness it seems to mellow a bit and the acidic flavor becomes more mild. A pretty awesome beer IMO, just great with its intense and sour aspects in the raw form with an enamel stripping delivery. It doesn't come off as truly blueberry which is the only thing I can knock it for -a really excellent beer all in all.

02-14-2011 23:39:38 | More by Slatetank
McDiddyPop

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Received in a trade from koopa. 750mL bottle poured into a snifter.

LeBleu pours a bright hazy orange/ pink color with a massive fizzy off-white (bordering on pinkish) head that diminishes to a thin ring.

Smell is very sour and oaky up front, with some underlying funky earthy notes. The blueberry is there, but barely. I wish the berries shined more in the aroma, because that is the aspect which I was looking forward to the most.

Taste is sour. Well, not quite so sour as tart. Not any really harsh acidity, just a pleasing berry sweetness followed quickly by a brisk tartness and a bone dry finish. The oak does well for this one.

Decent carbonation and an extremely drying finish made this amazingly drinkable. I quickly blew through my snifter and swiped a friend's to finish theirs off as well.

Not my favorite sour thus far (ahem Cuvee de Castleton) but surely a winner. I hope to land another in the future.

06-13-2010 23:51:10 | More by McDiddyPop
stakem

4.58/5  rDev +7%

750ml bottle Batch E!032 (second batch) that is corked, capped and wrapped. You need a trifecta of tools including a bottle opener, jigsaw blade and a turkey bastor to get this bottle open... or a Swiss army knife. Once open, this bottle reveals a matching blue synthetic cork, that's cute.

Poured into a couple of snifters, this brew appears a ruby color, almost red but not quite. It appears as though (who would have guessed) it has been stained by blueberries. Hazy through the body with a thin whisp of white head that dissolves fast and holds thin and tight around the edges of the glass.

The aroma is lightly sweet with an indication of berries. Brett is evident with some subtle wet leather notes coupled with cheese and an all inclusive funkiness. The back of the nose finishes off with a sweetness of berries that isn't readily identifiable as blueberry but is sweet and fresh smelling.

The taste is tart with a combination of berries and Brett. Just like the aroma led on, Brett is evident imparting a flavor of wet leather, cheese and funk. Unfortunately the brightness of the berry aspect does not follow through as much as the aroma would lead you to believe. Regardless it is very enjoyable with a light grainy flavor before finishing with a puckering quality. A lasting taste of grains, berries and light acidity stays inside the mouth.

This is a light bodied brew that is modestly carbonated. It is acidic and has quite a salivation factor to it. Yet it is easy drinking and very enjoyable. A solid example of the American wild style, this is a brew that I wish was more readily available because I would like to drink this regularly.

02-22-2011 20:05:02 | More by stakem
GreesyFizeek

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle pour at the Ithaca Luminous release, how fitting, right?

This was a huge highlight, possibly my favorite sour ever.

Pours a murky, hazy, golden orange, with not much head or lacing.

Smells like a great mixture of sweet and sour- with some floral notes as well.

The taste is pretty awesome. Mild to medium tartness, like some sort of puckering sour candy, with some citrus fruits as well, some hay, sour lemon. There is a long and sour finish to this one- it lingers for a while on the palate, and leaves the lips tingly.

Light bodied, crisp, refreshing, spritzy carbonation.

Just awesome. I wish they still made this one.

04-17-2014 02:03:11 | More by GreesyFizeek