LeBleu - Ithaca Beer Company

LeBleuLeBleu

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: almychristopher on 01-01-2010)
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

$8 pour from bottle to a 6 oz champagne flute.

A: Infinitely effervescent. An otherwise bone white head has pale peachy/pink highlights. Foamy and mousse-like, the head erupts at first, then settles well below the rim of the glass and finally becomes manageable with a series of short 1 oz pours. Nice head retention with each small addition. The LeBleu demands to be poured slowly or the fury of the bubbles will mock the boundaries of the glass. The body has a drop dead gorgeous rosé hue. This is one of the most exquisite looking glasses of liquid I ever had in front of me.

S & T: Proudly funky and semi earthy. Brettanomyces and blueberries are in the aroma although the blueberry is subtle. Distinct aromas of lavender and other floral/fragrant qualities. Creamy. I know this brew is a combination of 3 different years of barrel aging (2007-09) but the website doesn't indicate the type of wood. Cedar plank is the stand out woody note for me but I sense a soft, well-incorporated oakiness as well. Very good, but could have benefited slightly from more intensity and greater depth of flavor.

M: Pretty damn stimulating. Altogether a tamer mouthfeel than expected compared to other wild ales I've had recently (does not provide nearly the mouth puckering experience as the Ithaca Brute). Champagne yeast or similar. Very dry, especially on the finish, this brew is seemingly incapable of actually touching the tongue, feeling like it hovers above instead. A bolder mouthfeel would not have hurt this beer at all, in fact, would have even increased my rating here.

D: It's pricey and it's not easy to get a hold of, but if you are willing and able, this beer will prove to be worth the money and effort. Well done Ithaca.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks to mistofminn for sharing this at a tasting.

Batch E!021

Pours a big fizzy head head that fades down fast to a thinner layer. Color is a grapefruit pink.

Aroma: Wet horse blanket, sour blueberries, touch of cherries, and oak. Reminds me a little of brute, but better.

Taste: Again, reminds me of brute with blueberries. The champagne yeast is crazy in this beer The brett doesn't show too much, but I get nice oak flavors. Very nice, sour beer.

Very crisp and refreshing. Tons of carbonation from the champagne yeast. Medium to lighter bodied. Ends dry and sour.

Overall, very drinkable with some nice sour flavors. The oak and brett are subtle but the blueberries show a lot. The carbonation is very high, so I couldn't drink a ton of this but it is good. Thanks Brad for busting out some sweet beers.

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Had this one at a recent beer tasting between a couple BA’s. Thanks Brad for busting it out! Pours a beautiful tinted rose/blue color that is exceptionally clear of any sediment. The head is a big fluffy pillow of white foam with a blue-purple tinge to it. The smell is sour sweetnes that reminds me of berries. Tart and sour at the same time. The initial taste is a little overwhelmed by the high carbonation stemming from the champagne yeast but as that subsides you get flavors of sourness/tart, along with the blueberries. Slight taste of barrel. Mouthfeel as I said is extremely light stemming from the champagne yeast but really goes well with this beer. An extremely drinkable beer! Light and airy with a nice sour/tart flavor. I wish I had another bottle!

Re-rate: Bottle, Batch E!021. Just as I remember from my first rate but the rates is slightly more funky and sour as I recall. The carbonation is still quite high. Still very enjoyable but now having other sours, this just isn’t as good as I first rated.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this at Cambridge Common thanks to leftovers from Ithaca's dinner earlier.

A: Hazy bright pink reddish almost blue-purple hue with a very light fizzy head.

N: Lots of sour fruit, blueberry and more berry like fruit, a little juicy smelling, lots of funk, yeast, and bready malts as well.

T: Spicy at first with lots of sour tangy fruit. A nice sour berry fruit flavor that somewhat reminisces of blueberries. Quite a bit of acidity give it a slight bite to it. More bready malts and some funk with wild yeast flavors. Barnyard funk, more than I expected. As it warms and later on the sip more fresh blueberries come out, which reminds me of picking blueberries on the Cape with my grandmother when I was like 5. A little more yeastiness too. The nice sour fruit really starts to get tasty as it both warms and my palate gets into it.

M: Lighter with tons of carbonation.

F: The finish is actually somewhat lighter than I expected. It has a slight residual sweetness but gets pretty dry otherwise. A long lingering tangy sour fruit flavor with hints of fresh blueberry on the sides of the tongue. A slight bitter barnyard funk sticks around a little bit too.

I tried this at EBF and was very disappointed, but who knows what crazy beers I had before it. On top of that, with a full sample and time to enjoy it and really scrutinize it, I really started to like it. After letting it warm a bit, and enjoying the subtle flavors I really liked it. Glad I was able to snag a bottle.

M:

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to djrn2 for this brew

A - Color is Pinkish or peachy, its cloudy and the head bubbled up to a 2 finger foam champagne like and dissipated quickly and left a think film or foam on top all the way down with slight lacing.

S - I dont really pick up a lot of blueberry maybe a slight fruit smell but not much. I smell some funk and vinegar.

T - Taste follows the nose, not a whole lot going on here. Maybe a bit more fruit some bretty funk and vinegar. very carbonated almost to much.

M - Thin but not in a bad way. too much carbonation.

D - very drinkable

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

LeBleu, Batch 1, 750mL bottle, poured into a Chimay goblet and done side by side with Blabaer.

A-Orange with a pink hue. Huge frothy head. Leaves spotty lacing.

S-A bit sour, some funk, I'm not really getting any of the blueberries.

T-Slightly fruity, but not distinguishably blueberry. Some funk. A little bit of sourness. Finish isn't great. Much less complex than I expected or than the Blabaer that I drank side by side with it.

MF- Solid carbonation, a bit thin, but nothing that negatively affects the beer.

D-Very easy drinking, no problem finishing 12 ounces of this.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Reviewed from notes. Split 4 ways. Thanks to pecorasc. Batch E!021

A: Pink Grapefruit. Super active bright white foamy head. Good retention.

S: Nice acidity with some funk. Pick up a lot of sour grapes and berries.

T: Good amount of sourness. Not very complex. Lots of berry fruit flavor. Kind of two dimensional (sour and fruit), but I liked the flavor. A little more sourness would have been nice.

M: Very light mouthfeel. But overly carbonated. Tingles in my tongue and throughout my mouth. Almost too much.

D: Light and good drinkability.

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another one enjoyed at the tasting, this one pulled out by yours truly. Batch E!021. Big thanks to Kmurray8621 for sending me this one.

The pour is beautiful. It starts out a clear reddish-pink, but as the yeast is added it gets extremely cloudy and looks like grapefruit juice. The carbonation coming from kbutler1's etched glass is insane, but otherwise appears normal. The head has a pink tint to it, with great retention and leaves some intense sheets of lacing.

The nose starts out strong with sour fruit and funk. Berries and barnyard aromas are the strongest coming out of this, with a tart and sour character that I've come to know and love.

The near perfect carbonation, light and bubbly from the champagne yeast, intensifies the sourness and tartness of this one. Fruity characters, as well as a light woodyness. Incredibly complex and tasty. Vinous. Finishes dry and mouthpuckeringly sour.

Like I said before, this one has a near perfect carbonation. Light in body, and incredibly drinkable.

Overall, this is exponentially better than Brute, and I don't care what anyone says. This stuff is really good and I would love to see what time would do to this. Thanks Kevin!

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a grapefruity pink color with very active, faintly pinkish hued head. Very nice retention and sticky lacing. Smell is of sour fruit (non overpowering) with a growing scent of blueberry as it warms, faint earthyness to it. Taste is of a sour light and watery fruits, small hay like malt presence, as with scent, the blueberry really shines as the beer warms and carbonation dicipates. Bubbly and dry, light on the palate with minimal aftertaste. Very nice beer, only recomendation is for a larger blueberry profile.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

A- pours a light purple transparent liquid, with a large effervescent head that literally explodes with bubbles.
Bubbles are not so think however that it overflows. The head slowly dissipates over about 5 minutes.

S- Smell, yum yeah. That lambicy smell, sourness with a touch of fruit. Maybe a slight yeasty smell. If you like sours, this is mouthwatering...

T - Light sour taste, not over the top. Mild fruity tones from the blueberries, but not too strong. The end and finish has a slight hop bitterness, but just a touch. Could be a bit more sour, but that is preference.

M - very light and airy due to the high carbonation and acidity. Very champagne like. Easy to drink if you like that. Maybe too light but fits the style and assumed intent of the drink.

D- Due to the lightness this is very easy to drink. It is acidic, so the drinker needs to like sours. But it is not too over the top in either fruit, or sour and thank god sweetness. No perceived alcohol hotness.

Over all a good light sour bleuet. Personally, I like them a bit more sour to cover some of the off flavors that exist in "wild" brews at low concentrations. But this is a good American lambic style beer.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Neat package. Bluer foil, cap and then blue cork. After pulling out the cork there was a very small amount that foamed out of the bottle. The head was active and a bright pink/purple color. First it was small bubbles, then large ones remained. Interesting head development and decline. Beer was a strange, pink/purple color as well. You can tell it's amber underneath and the blueberries have changed the color to this interesting tone.

Aroma is assertive, very vinegar like at first. Sharp with some winey notes and a sense of oak. Not sure I would guess blueberry from the aroma.

Wow, is this good. Of course, the first couple of sips the sour punch wipes most everything else out. But the aftertaste is wonderful. As you adjust to the sourness the flavor just opens up. I find this incredible bready undertone in the wild ales I enjoy. Toasty, nutty a touch of a wine flavor. Lots of brett character.

The carbonation is champagne like and it's no surprise that this type of yeast was used to bottle condition. Light and refreshing. Wish I had another bottle to drink this summer. Highly carbonated.

I really enjoyed this and continue to enjoy more Wild Ales.

Excellent beer!

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Review from notes on 1/30/10. A huge thanks to Joe and Robin for hosting and busting out this jewel.

A - Poured tangerine orange, touch of haze that makes for an incandescent experience in the light. A light pink head of a very fluffy nature, leaves strands of lace. 5.0

S - Light blueberry notes, lots of sourness and funkiness. Perhaps a bit subdued overall but still a lovely fragrance. 4.0

T - I feel like this was an awesome lambic that had blueberries thrown in, which makes it even more awesome. Funky, sour, and earthy. Mildly dry finish. 4.5

M - Light and bubbly, champagne-like and crisp. 4.5

D - This is way too damn good. I'm glad I have a bottle saved. 5.0

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Sampled thanks to the generosity of HopStoopid120. Thanks for the trade!

A - Pours an odd off-pinkish purple with a pinkish head. One of the oddest looking beers I've seen, but given the ingredients, not unexpected. The beer is incredibly fizzy and settles to a pencil-thin head.

S - Some mild blueberries and funk. Some other reviews note that it smells a bit like berliner weiss, and I'd agree with that. Some mild funk but was hoping for more.

T - Tart blueberries followed with a sour tinge. The sourness is not out of control, and is well balanced with the fruit. As expected, these are the predominant flavors here, not much else.

M / D - The mouthfeel is very nice: Exceptionally carbonated, almost as much as a seltzer. It serves the beer well. I only had about a 7 oz pour, but wish I had more.

LeBleu is an above average beer. I believe after my first taste I said "I could drink this all day, any day". Not mindblowing but a very solid offering.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to the amazing Beerloco for this one. Batch E!021 served in my Kuhnhenn tulip glass.

A - Pours with a billowing pink-tinged foam that dissipates to a thick creamy cap and leaves a few chunks of lace. Orange-pink colored body that lightly hazed and reveals a massive stream of bubbles.

S - Lots of oak, hay and barnyard, white wine, and blueberry skins. There's also a fair bit of lactic sourness over a graham crackery malt backbone. This smells more like a blueberry Berliner Weiss than like a blueberry lambic. While I normally like all these smells there's something that doesn't mesh/integrate perfectly here - there's some sort of peppery spice that seems out of place.

T - The taste is again very vinous and oaky, with only a mild blueberry character. The taste is lightly sour and funky, but not overly tart.The finish is lightly buttered graham cracker - guessing from the oak, but it seems to be a somewhat persistent flavor from Northeastern wild ales (Allagash, Ithaca, etc.) so perhaps it's from the brett strain present up there. I had this on-tap at Night of the Funk, and I liked the blueberry character better then - maybe this was aged at the brewery a little too long.

M - The body is actually quite smooth for an American wild - the carbonation seems to all go into the massive foam. The body is on the lighter side of medium, and finish is lightly dry with some residual candy sensations. The residual feel is a nice tannic oakiness.

D - I attempted to share this with a few friends, but they weren't in a big drinking mood so I ended up having most of it on my own. Alcohol isn't really present, it's not bracingly sour or tart, and it's quite a nice beer, so it's a pretty excellent brew for sessions - other than the limited distribution of course. My stomach is starting to feel a touch unsettled about 500ml in, so it's not perfect but it's close.

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

Thanks to pecorasc for opening this one up. Split the 750 mL bottle four ways.

A- Poured a grapefruit color with pink hues throughout. Produced three fingers of white, foamy, carbonated head. Dissipated pretty quickly, leaving a thin white film on top of the beer.

S- Mild scent of blueberry skins and barnyard funk. Mild lactic presence. Nothing over the top or distinct. The aroma was very similar to some berliner weisses I have had before, but with a fruity note.

T- Much like the aroma. Pleasant notes of blueberries upfront with some fruit skins. Very mild on the acidity. Some brett and barnyard funk in there as well. Noticed some oak in the back end too. Very one dimensional.

M- Way too carbonated. Borderline champagne rather than a beer. Flavors were masked as a result.

D- The flavors weren't that bad, just too simple and too bubbly for my taste.

Overall, pretty disappointed in this one, especially since I loved Brute so much. The carbonation really muted the depth and complexity of this beer. It's an okay beer, if you like celebrating with a beer rather than champagne.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Sampled January 2010
Extremely fizzy, the beer pours with a purple / pink tinged off white colored head. Even a careful pour sees my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip filling up with foam and even overflowing the sides of my glass. The beer is a murky, honey / pale-amber color that shows a red-tinged, light amber color when held up to the light. The aroma smells of earthy, musky Brettanomyces backed by a subtle, floral fruitiness. Somewhat cheesy smelling (in a funky farmhouse cheese way), musty (like damp, slightly molded earth), . The fruitiness here is quite noticeable, even if not dominant, and for some reason I want to describe the aroma as pink; I can't really figure out why, but this is what the blueberry notes make me think of, perhaps it is because the beer smells very floral like too. The smell of pink (definitely a fruity smell), I am not sure what it is, but this describes it perfectly for me. There is a light tartness to this beer, almost more urea than lactic smelling. Yep this is definitely heavily influenced by Brettanomyces.

Fairly dry tasting as it hits my tongue, there is perhaps a hint of sweetness let that accentuates a fruitiness to the finish. The fruit in the finish really lingers and it morphs into various flavor phases; berry like at first, it then has a lightly chalky children's aspirin flavor (fake grape I think) and finally it has a blueberry skin tannic edge that tastes of fleshy ripe blueberries but causes a touch of puckering from the light astringency. There is a nice, light tartness to this beer; mostly lactic, with just a wisp of urea towards the finish, and there is probably both an influence from the blueberries and perhaps even the wine barrels. Speaking of which, the oak here is nicely soft, it is noticeable, but doesn't dominate the other flavors; there is a definite textural tannic structure to the body in the finish, there are some softly spicy oak notes as well as a lightly toasty wood character in the middle and finish. My wife tastes banana in this beer, and now that she mentioned it, there is a soft note of this here that I pick up on.

After a fresh pour I have some opportunity to eat foam lest my glass over-flows again. The foam is light and fruity tasting with a soft acidity. The beer underneath this voluminous head is quite fizzy, which seems to work for this light, tannic supported, beer. While the fruitiness here doesn't seem to be distinctly blueberry based, it is at a really nice level; there is a definite influence in the profile of this beer, but it only adds to the complexity and doesn't drown out the funky and barrel derived notes. This is one of those beers where a 750 of it disappears way faster than you would prefer. The funkiness isn't quite as pronounced as it is in the aroma, but it is still quite noticeable with a definite muskiness, some woody mushroom flavors and a finish that has a light, chalky, slightly medicinal phenolic character to it.

This is actually quite nice, I wasn't sure what to expect, but this is damn good. I did really love Brute batch 1, but I still haven't gotten it into my head that Ithaca brews some tasty sours; and they do. With the blend of 1, 2 and 3 year old barrells this might evoke some comparisons with Lambics, but this is definitely not that, even if it does have many of the flavor components from a Lambic. This isn't nearly as sour (which is really the main difference), but I still am enjoying this with out the bracing acidity I so often crave. This beer does show the great finesse that I like to see in a fine Gueuze; it is a balance between earthy notes, a strong muskiness, light oak, noticeable fruit and, in this case, light acidity that makes this beer such a joy to drink.

2.15/5  rDev -49.6%

Generously shared at the Pliny the Younger release by nickd717. Thanks Nick.

04/13/10 -- I had it again recently (courtesy of bring) and I'm still not convinced this is near the top end of the AWA style. It's not fair to compare it to Blabaer exactly, but this isn't in the same league as Consecration, Supplication, Red Poppy, or even Brute!

A: Pours a pink-tinted light amber body. The head is light beige with, again, a pink tint. It retains poorly, falling into a thin layer of scattered bubbles. No lacing.

S: Blueberries, light citrus, barnyard, and light lactic sourness. Some white wine and oak. A fairly weak aroma overall; it's neither pungent nor complex nor well-defined. Just satisfactory.

T: Pretty lacking in blueberry. I attended a nice sour tasting in early January that introduced me to many of the big names in the sour world, including Blabaer. LeBleu, I poured Blabaer, I smelled Blabaer, Blabaer was drank by me. LeBleu... you're no Blabaer. Light fruitiness, a definite lactic presence, and a definite brett presence: but the beer is undeveloped in all of those areas. I get a hint of chardonnay (?) and oak that seem like the beer just needed more time in some barrels to let the flavors develop. Light blueberry in the aftertaste. Weak flavor.

M: Surprisingly overcarbonated. VERY fizzy, distractingly so (cutting into the flavor a lot). It's light-bodied, obviously. A tad on the dry side.

D: I could easily drink a lot of this (after swirling out all the bubbles), but I wouldn't say it's a good sour in the spectrum of all that I've tried: it doesn't compare to anything from Russian River, Lost Abbey, or Jolly Pumpkin. Heck, it's nowhere near as good as Brute! I doubt I'll seek this out on my own, seeing how hard it is to trade for. I'm thankful I got to try it. But it's just not very good.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Served in a flute at tnd.
A- large fluffy head that had some lasting power. Purple red in color with champagne like bubbles ascending the glass. S- crisp and clean slightly sour and fruity, sweet blueberries and lemon zest.
T- very nice crispness again with a mild sour fruity touch. Blueberry as expected and a faint apple touch. Slight funk and lemon.
M- very effervescent, the bubbles attack the mouth and lift the beer on a fizzy cloud over the tongue. I've don't think I've had such a carbonate wild, its very cool.
D- this while highly carb'd is so refreshing and delicious with that mild sourness I would drink it all day. Not to high in abv and sour. Paired well with some raw oysters. A great american wild ale.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

From a bottle into a glass at Teresa's Next Door for their Ithaca night.

A- Lebleu looks great with just the sparkling white champagne frothy head with legs. I've never seen this much retention in a wild before. The liquid itself, a mix between red, purple & blue. The foam did not manage to stick to the glass.

S- A fine line between fruity and funky, I think the fruit is winning. Blueberries and blackberries. Under that a musk of faint funk from the brett. While the berries are not a blast in the face, they win the show and don't smell entirely fake.

T- Blueberries and the other berries are up front but are somewhat faint compared to the nose. Sweet, somewhat medicinal. Some light young funk and a small pucker, not balls to the wall sour, some acidity. That's all I really get from this.

M- Sparkling, very crisp and a bit overly carboned. Not a very smooth ride, there is some bumps. A step below medium with a acidic vibe to it. Perhaps to much champagne yeast? A good mix between sweet and sour on the mouth, vice versa.

D- This is easy enough to do a bomber to the head, but I'll share mine with my friends when I go on vacation in a bit. I got the point of this beer fairly quickly, not complex, but spot on for a American blueberry sour, the label does not lie.

I've heard the base beer for this is 'Brute'. I can see maybe one of the three years of beer in here (07,08,09) being that, but it cant be 100%, Brute has not been out that long.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

I was able to score one of these from JayOh.. Big Thanks Tim!! But my buddy Ditmier cracked one of his at his tasting Friday night.. Thanks Eric.

Big 3 finger lite pink head.. the brew is pink in color .. nice lacing.

Mild lactic sour in the nose.. an only hints of blueberry.. some lemon zest... develops nicely as it really warms up.

Sour and funky.. but ehhh.. okay... the blueberry only really shows with warmth... alot of warmth.. tannic apple skin.. brett shows as some barnyard with warmth.. very dry on the finish... huge carbonation is like a sparkling wine.. the body is lite... could use some heavier pale malt presence mid palate to tie things together.. This just seemed a bit anticlimactic given the interest... However, that said, it was very drinkable and very nice overall.. I am very happy that I have a bottle to sit on and break out with the boys down the road.

Appreciation again goes out to Tim and Eric.

4.5/4/4/4/4

3.93/5  rDev -8%

split bottle with PaulMPap

a- pours a hazy pinkish purple with a little tiny foamy ring of a head that laces pretty decently.

s- funky for sure but i couldnt pick up any blueberries off just the scent. lemons and sour grapes most certainly. tart candies and some weird stale farm smell. very interesting.

t&m- acidic for sure, too much of this guy could be dangerous. blueberries finally show up (since nothing blueberry related looked like it was in my glass or smelled like it) very ripe fresh sour fruits, apples, grapes, oranges, etc. hay, straw, grass funk. like i said before though, super sour and acidic.

d- this one could burn a hole in my stomach or heart as it most likely shreds the pH scale. overall good to drink a little bit, but even a whole bomber might do some intestinal damage. atleast it tastes delicious though!!

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Bottle split amongst friends at Cambridge Commons at the post EBF brunch.

I did have the other blueberry sour so....

A: Really nice looking purplish golden color. At some points it looked more red at other points it looked more purple. A little bit of white head with quite big bubbles. Tons of visible carbonation as well.

S: REALLY funky. Bret is all over this beer. Little bit of horse. You never really get the in your face blueberry that I know I was looking for. You get a little bit of tartness in the nose for sure though.

T: If you gave this to me and said try this beer I would love it. The label drives the demmands up. It is a super funky beer and you can totally taste the Brute in here. It is a tart horse and a great one at that. You get some fruit but you really had to strech out to say wow there it is blueberries.

M: Super light and dry just like brute. Even a touch drier.

D: I loved this beer. I feel like my review was ragging on it a bit but this is an excellent beer and a world class sour. Cellaring wise the longer you hold on to this the little blueberry in there will fade and this will keep getting funkier if you are into that sort of thing.

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Hazy pinkish/purple but more pink in color. Nice foamy white head that is also slightly pink in color.

S: Sweet fruity, sour, and funky. Not getting a ton of blueberry in the nose, more so just funky characters.

T: Sweet tart up front, sour in my mouth and then a pretty dry finish. I enjoy both the Brute and this with the champagne yeast.

M: Really active and carbonated but a little thin. I wouldn't say in a bad way, but thin.

D: Awesome. I really like this beer and think it's good for what it is. Having not had that other blueberry sour ;) I can't weigh in but this is another great offering by Ithaca. I hope they continue to produce more. Brute and this are great offerings.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

I drank this after Black Tuesday, so read this review with a grain of salt.

This beer looks like a champion. It pours a nice amber color with a nice think white head. I'm not sure if amber is the proper descriptor but it's darker than brute but not purple from the blueberry. The beer is visibly carbonated and it continues to replenish the head.

There isn't any blueberry in the nose. It is funky with a mix of sourness and some barnyard Brett. There is some fruitiness but it's more apple than blueberry.

The flavor is nice and tart. Again, not really much blueberry which is disappointing. I was hoping for something like blabaer and this isn't it. It's definitely a great beer, just not fruit driven. It is chock-full of tartness though and just like the aroma it is a mix of sour and barnyard. The Brett stands out more in the flavor than the aroma. The flavor ends quickly and there us no aftertaste.

The body is light as expected. It is unremarkable in the respect that it is right where it should be and nothing else.

This is not what I expected or was hoping for but was good none the less. Definitely glad I got it.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Since I missed EBF this year, I figured it would be appropriate to open something special in the meanwhile. Ithaca Lebleu pours a radiant pink, slightly hazed, and a big pillow of white heading. I guess I was expecting it to be darker, but regardless it is a very pretty looking brew. First thing that hits the nose is Lambic/Wild funk, with some berries (raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries) sweetening things some. There is also something a bit medicinal going on in the smell. Taste is not overly sour, but enough to make you pucker up a bit. Blueberry is less prevalent in the taste, however that might pick up some more as the beer warms, or perhaps as it gets older. The carbonation is pretty high, which I think could be toned down a bit to help with drinkability. That medicinal character can also be detected in the taste, but does not get in the way too much. Since the last time I had this at the Belgian Beer Fest a few months ago, this beer has developed in lots of ways, which leads me to think that it will continue to evolve as time goes on. Overall I am more than satisfied with this wild from Ithaca. Maybe it is unfair to compare them, but I would choose their Brute over this any day of the week. Cheers

LeBleu from Ithaca Beer Company