LeBleu - Ithaca Beer Company

LeBleuLeBleu

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: almychristopher on 01-01-2010)
3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a red wine glass. The cork was indeed a pain to get out and gave a little budge when I took off the warp which made me nervous, but after taking all the necessary precautions found that it did not gush or burst like many other people have previously stated. The beer poured a beautiful grapefruit juice color with a large pinkish white head that left minimal lacing, less than I had expected. Smelled, well, sour and funky with a very faint berry smell on the end. Smells quite good actually. Oh the deception. The taste is kind of a letdown based off of the smell. Don't get me wrong, it is not bad by any means, just not what I expected. Sour on the front with no discernable blueberry flavor initially. Some kind of berry yes, but I am not really getting blueberry. The flavors roll over my tongue like silk. Very smooth to drink but very dry, a champagne dryness inherently takes over. It is almost palate cleansing. Thus the mouth feel is quite nice and it is very drinkable but all in all it loses out in the taste department for me. It was just "okay", but overall a decently good beer.

mjn5036, Feb 19, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Received this beer via a recent trade and have been excited to try it. I'm a big fan of Brute and missed out on this when it hit distribution in Manhattan.

Appearance- Pours a beautiful hazy pinkish-red out of the bottle with a massive three fingers of pink head as well. Lots of carbonation but not quite the gushing I expected after seeing a few threads about corks popping while in cellars. Surprising amount of sticky lacing left and great head retention, with it finally dying back to a sheet across the top of the beer.

Smell- Hmm, initially some mild notes of funk, followed by a whiff of tartness and blueberry skins. Some other fruit flavors mixed in as well, of a black raspberry nature. A nice smell, but I didn't quite know what to expect as this is my first blueberry lambic.

Taste- Berries are more up front in this department and it starts off with blueberry skins and other assorted mixed berry flavors. Followed by some very mild but present funk. Finishes with a mild tartness that is well balanced and no-where near as biting as I was expecting. Solid flavor profile.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel reminds me a bit of Juliet where I was expecting it to deliver because of the massive head but ultimately found it overly thin even for the style. I don't know what it was about it, but I perceived it as a touch watery in the mouth. Drinkability was decent as well, but I found the flavors to become progressively muted as the beer warmed and by the time I finished my glass they had gotten a bit dull.

Overall, a solid sour and a nice introduction for me into blueberry wilds. I prefer Brute, but I'm glad I had a chance to try this.

boatshoes, Feb 19, 2010
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Decided to open something special tonight for review #200. For some reason Le Bleu just sounded right for the occasion. Thanks to Budgie for trading me this to try. I had read some people having gushing problems with these bottles so I was extra careful taking that long cork out over the sink, but it wasn't necessary.

It opened with a nice pop and I poured it into a set of New Glarus flute glasses. It poured an amber pinkish color, almost the color of a rosé wine. The head rose quickly and almost overflowed the glass. It took several pours to get enough beer in the glass to drink. The head was very full and bubbly and it left pretty nice lacing on the glass as I drank it.

The aroma has a pretty strong acidic tartness to it with a good berry quality also. I'd like to say I'm picking up blueberry out of the berries but I could be tricking myself into believing it's there, since I know it's in the beer. If it's there it's lighter then the overall fruitiness to it.

The taste has a fairly strong acidic, tart and sour flavor to it. it has a slight sweet fruitiness to it that really gives it a slight candy like sweet-tartness to it. The fruitiness it has really helps make this a complex tasting and delicious beer.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side and the carbonation is high. The carbonation is very sharp and tangy on the tongue, almost champagne like. Drinkability is good, it was very good tasting which definitely helps the drinkability a lot.

Overall it was a very good sour beer, my only real criticism is I felt carbonation was a little too high. The carbonation made it fizz up like crazy making it hard to pour, but more importantly it was very sharp on the tongue which seemed to mask a little of the flavor. The flavor was very good though and the blueberries added a nice complexity in both the taste and the nose. It's too bad this was a one time release, with a little tweaking this could probably go from a very good beer to a exceptional beer.

billab914, Feb 17, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -22.2%

Bottle via trade thanks to soulforpeanuts on BA. Basically as an extra because Rick is an awesome trader. Shared this at Russian River at the PtY release.

Pours a fairly light and hazy pinkish-golden-orange color with a fairly fizzy white head.

Aroma is bretty barnyard funk, blueberries, white wine, and a little bit of malty sweetness. As for the flavor, well, someone mentioned SweetTart candies, and I definitely got some of that. Blueberries are definitely noticeable, as well as bretty funk and yeastiness, and sweet bready pale malt.

Medium-light body with very high carbonation, maybe even a little too high.

Drinkability is solid. Overall, this beer is pretty good, but didn't really wow me as a great example of the style.

nickd717, Feb 10, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I got to try Le Bleu. Another notch in the belt for me as I try to keep up with all these great releases anymore. Seems to me to be a never ending parade of releases but I was lucky enough to run into this one at a tasting over the weekend. Served chilled and poured into a small, six ounce snifter glass, this one was consumed on 02/07/2010.

The pour was rather interesting, very nice, light color. A medium golden amber with loads of haze and a slight color to it rushes into the glass with tremendous force pushing up a head of white foam that reaches a height of near three inches before it finally drops down and leaves literally tons of foam and sticky lacing all up and down the sides of the glass. A tremendous aroma of sour fruit coming off of this now. Berries, dark barnyard aromas. Acidic with hints of vinegar and sour fruits just rippling through the air. Even letting it settle out for a few moments does nothing to cut the complexity of this one. As I take the first sip, the light, airy and nearly perfectly carbonated body just prickles at the tongue leaving no doubt as to the wave after of wave of flavor that I was about to experience. Nothing subtle here as wine like flavors start to tug at the taste buds. Ripe fruit, grape skins, tannic acid like flavors all merging in a light, airy and well constructed ale that leaves me dry, puckered faced, and yearning for another sip. The long lasting and wonderful notes of fruit just sitting perfectly right up on the tongue for all to see.

Overall just a wonderful, wonderful American wild ale. I like Brute a touch more only because well its just damn complex, but this would hold its own against a myriad of offerings any day of the week. Thrilled to death to be able to try this one.

mikesgroove, Feb 09, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Pour is a dark red/pink, enormous 4" head. I got a bit scared when it started hissing out of the cork while I had the stopper in it. Smells funky, not so much blueberry. Nice acetic sour element as well. Taste is similarly funky, bit of barnyard with some residual sweetness. Nicely, but not excessively sour. Also not much in the blueberry department, although there is a bit of a faint, jam element to it (not clearly blueberry). Perhaps a bit over-carbonated, both on the pour and in the mouthfeel. I found it to be a bit prickly.

craytonic, Feb 08, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottled shared by RoyMunson.
Pours a light reddish gold in color. A very nice, frothy, inch of white head on the pour.
Smell is much more funk than I was expecting. Really was expecting much more of a fruity, floral nose.
Very tart in the mouthfeel. Very high amount of carbonation as well. That could be toned down a bit. Good flavor none the less.
This is relatively new and fresh, but the amount of funk it's already showing is incredible. Well done.

FtownThrowDown, Feb 08, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to RoyMunson for sharing.

750ml brown bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a murky grapefruit juice amber. Decent head on the pour with some retention. Some lacing.

S: Good sourness and some nice funk. Funk isn't quite at the cheesy level but pretty good. Some berry aroma but doesn't really scream blueberry. Light tartness from some citric light fruits.

T/M: Plenty of sourness with a little bit of the green fruit tartness. Good funkiness. Musty and dank. Some more of the berry flavor but again, doesn't scream blueberries. Medium to medium light body with higher carbonation.

D: Low ABV and refreshing.

pwoods, Feb 08, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a blue synthetic corked and capped 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Special thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra specail thanks to jwjon1 for this from our recent trade!

Batch # E!021

A: Pours a neat looking color somewhere between pink and purple...like cloudy plum (thanks Joe!). Our bottle didn't gush but the light pink head was massive and quite fizzy. Retention was excellent and quite a bit of lace was left clinging to the glass.

S: Loads of fresh tart berry. As it warms, some subtle woody notes and vinegar come out.

T: Just as above with the addition of tart lemon, tangy green apple, and slightly sour grapes. Some dry, yet sweet, bready malt in the finish. Delicious.

M: We found the mouthfeel to be surprisingly soft and pillowy considering the style. Yeah sure, it has a bunch of tart and tangy personality, but that acts as an exclamation point to the awesome smoothness that lasts right up to the finish.

D: Heather and I found this to be very refreshing. This is our second of the Excelsior! series and so far we're extremely impressed!

GbVDave, Feb 07, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

750ml bottle received in trade with capra12. Shared with nonstick. Poured into a gold rimmed Buzzards Bay fluted glass.

A - As has been reported many times, the cork was damn near impossible to remove and actually broke my corkscrew. Pours a hazy pinkish cranberry juice color with 4 fingers of pinkish white whipped creamy head that lasts seemingly forever. Takes a couple of pours to get a reasonably full glass. Pretty looking beer when all is said and done - just takes some effort to get there.

S - Fruity with a giant hit of brett in the aroma up front with scent of bubble gum? thrown in too. Fruit aromas don't strike me as blueberry for sure, but I can't quite place what the fruit is. Smells quite tart and brett dominated...an interesting and pleasant start.

T - Hmm, the blueberry is faint, but definitely there. This is also tart, but not extremely sour...sourness is mostly lactic, not very acetic. Brett funk is omnipresent pushing through all of the other contributing flavors. Some citrusy and sour lemon blends in nicely too. Just enough sweeetness to complement the fruit.

M - Thin in body with high carbonation. Very lively. Quite interesting finish - very dry with almost zero aftertaste...rather unique...seems to cleanse the palette after every swallow.

D - Pretty drinkable wild ale...not very sour overall. Enough sweetness to tame things a bit and bring out the fruit a bit. Another enjoyable beer from Ithaca...think I prefer Brute more than this, but definitely a solid offering.

portia99, Feb 06, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Really interesting beer. First, the blue rubber cork is impossible to get out of the bottle but for good reason, this beer is a gusher.

Poured into a becher, this beer is all head. Huge white head. Beer is pinkish and hazy. The giant head is foamy and falls away quickly completely coating the glass with lacing. Carbonation (d'uh) is really high. Looks interesting and great.

The aroma of the beer is funky with a strong hit of sour. I don't smell the blueberries.

I also don't really taste the blueberries unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, there is an overall tartness to this beer that I assume is coming from the blueberries, I was just expecting a more forward role. The beer is a great sour, mostly citric but some lactic as well. There is a slight funk at the end after several tastes, overall well balanced. Drinkability is high and so is mouthfeel.

drabmuh, Feb 02, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

A big thanks to Richard for sharing this one yesterday at our tasting.

A: The pour is a mixture of light red, pink, and light purple with a very fluffy white head which quickly died down.

S: There are quite a bit of citrus, lactic, and floral notes to the nose, but nothing which necessarily says "blueberry". There is some mild funkiness, but a decent amount of oak.

T: The flavor was somewhat disappointing. While there was some berry flavor, it wasn't necessarily something which I would pinpoint as blueberries. Like the nose, there is a slight Brett funk, but that and the sourness are not all that intense.

M: There is a very high level of carbonation which some might say is too much. The beer is crisp and dry, which I very much enjoy.

D: Certainly a drinkable beer, especially with the crisp and refreshing mouthfeel, but the flavors appear to fall short. It could be because we had Blabaer right before, but I was very underwhelmed by this one.

womencantsail, Feb 01, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -20.6%

After a strenuous battle to extract an annoying PVC cork, LeBleu poured pink or rose in color, quite fizzy with an initial giant head that died down quickly, but ended up a pretty decent thick foam cap with some appropriate lacing. Not too many blueberries in this either considering it ended up pink. Aroma is floral, with a lactic almost wheaty graininess that reminds me of a Berliner Weisse. Flavor is flowery, light amounts of grain, quite lactic, some acetic acid, no real berries in it. Underwhelming flavor. Feel is a bit light and overly fizzy. A fair example of a fruited wild ale, nothing I would go out of my way for.

vacax, Feb 01, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Big ups to the one and only Lum for sending some of these badboys my way.

Pours very very fizzy (it will try to climb out of the neck if you're not careful, but certainly no gusher. Awesome light ruby color and a giant super fizzy head that retains for a long time.

Nose is alot of wild funk, slight ice cream like blueberry, and a bit of wood.

Taste is alot of awesome sour funk, the blueberry is slight, but if you mix up the sediment a bit it comes out much more. Very soft, dry finish, perfect amount of tartness, but could stand a bit more maybe, either way close.

Mouthfeel is actually not overcarbonated despite the beers intent to foam up easily. viscosity is perfect.

Drinkability is yet again ithacas strongsuit when it comes to sours, will easily put this away.

Another sure winner from ithaca, but between this and twelve im nervous about their carbonation issues these days. This beer will be AMAZING with some significant cellar time but im afraid it might blow up. I guess we'll find out. Either way, great beer, and yet another great sour from Ithaca.

AKBelgianBeast, Jan 29, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to hophead84 for his big time generosity.

Pours a lightly carbonated pale pink. Bit of a purplish hue to it. An inch or so of lightly pinked white foam. Pretty!

Smells like general berry-ness (I wouldn't guess blueberry if I had this blind. Just a general sourish/sweet berry smell) and a bit of oak. Definitely not a Brute-esque aroma, but quite nice.

Taste is also nice, though again, not up to the standards of the best beers of this style. Plesant sour berriness, some residual sugary sweetness that swirls around on the tongue, some balancing oak, and a pleasantly quaffable aftertaste ... in that it isn't that sour, and doesn't pound your tastebuds.

Pretty darn drinkable, good but not great, I enjoyed quite a bit.

Overlord, Jan 28, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

1/27/2010

Thanks to Javier for opening this on 1/24/2010. Juxtaposed alongside batch 4 Blåbær, which was a mistake. LeBleu was completely overshadowed next to that, so I held off on reviewing it until I opened a bottle today and was able gave it my full attention. Thanks to WorldWideStout for the bottle.

The beer pours an attractive pink tinged reddish orange with a huge soapy three finger head. Retention is excellent and lacing is scattered.

The nose is lightly sweet with a grain-like quality and a faint mustiness. Subtle lactic notes are detectable. The berry aroma is quite faint. I suppose it could be construed as blueberry, but it just smells like a general berry. A vinous aromatic perfume quality is perceivable, and there's a dash of buttery oak.

The flavor opens with a light berry sweetness. Again, it don't taste a lot like blueberry to me...just general berry. Regardless, whatever type of berry flavor it is begins fading midpalate when a grainy quality begins to emerge. Brett is musty and sourness is clean and restrained, growing stronger toward the finish. Oak is noticeable. Nearly all flavor is erased in the oddly abrupt finish with only a bit of wooden grain lingering. My palate is left disoriented and searching for a resolution. The mouthfeel is dry and crisp, but the carbonation is too high which I find detracting.

I loved Brute so I had high expectations for this. This is a solid beer, though the fruit is very faint, the flavor is a bit muddled, and the finish is anticlimactic and precipitous.

HopHead84, Jan 28, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Big thanks to steelersxl for this. I chilled this beer for well over a week and it still gushed when I opened it. Pink in color with a very healthy white head foaming all over my glass. Smells quite sour at first and then super yeasty. I honestly was not too impressed by the aroma. The flavor was nice and sour with hints of blueberry but they were very subtle. This was easy to drink but it was not nearly as good as Brute.

ArrogantB, Jan 28, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks to WorldWideStout for getting me a few bottles. This was a ridiculously tough cork to remove, and I even got sprayed in the face once I finally got it out. But, I won't hold that against the beer. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: More of a lighter amber or copper color than pink or red, but it did have some pinkish hues to it. White/pink head comprised of bug bubbles rises quick and falls to leave a small layer on top. Decent lacing.

Smell: Berries, Citrus, funk, sourness. Not an overwhelming amount of blueberry in it but it was there. Some sweetness, both sugary as well as from a mild chardonnay flavor. Was hoping there'd be a little more blueberry in this. I loved Abita Purple haze (i know i know, different style and different berry) but I still was hoping this would have a strong fruit profile like that one did. The funky sourness made up for it though I guess.

Taste: Chardonnay and other sweeteners are present. Again, not a big blueberry flavor but there is a fruitiness that you pick up at the end. Bit of an awkward aftertaste, but not bad. The big issue is I find this to be vastly over-carbonated, even for the style. I love sours, and have had some pretty heavily carbonated beers (and other beverages in general) but this one seems to dominate too much. From the time the beer hits my tongue, even through the middle, the carbonation just kicks away any other flavors and its even enough to cause some stomach discomfort after a while. It's only towards the end and into the swallow that the flavors come out. I don't know, it was unusual I thought, not what I was used to and not what I expected.

Mouthfeel: Again, over carbonated. But otherwise, very light in body and a very refreshing beer. Berry flavors linger a bit which is enticing.

Drinkability: Pretty good. I could finish the whole bottle no problem. It's pretty low in ABV which makes it an inviting session beer.

Perhaps this beer needed more time to settle down, or needs some age on it? But it was very very carbonated to the point where it took away some of the joy of drinking it. As it was, I can honestly say I prefer many other sours and wilds more than this. I'll grade it for what it was, and perhaps revisit another bottle in a month or two and see if I didn't just have a bad bottle or something. All that said, still a good beer worth trying.

Ezekiel81923, Jan 27, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

750ml bottle, capped and with a blue synthetic cork, awesome.

Pours a reddish blue-ish brown purple hue with a small but resilient peachy white head that leaves some sticking, a few random floaties are spotted. Blueberry sour punch straws are the first thing that comes to mind when i stick my face in the glass. A sharp but gentle sourness looms over an aroma of fresh and mature blueberries and a mild woody scent. Crisp and of the highest quality, the blueberry flavor is undeniable, well balanced and insanely drinkable, refreshing in the most refreshing of ways. Lighter in body than i had originally expected, the palate is rich with flavor for quite a while between sips either way so im not complaining. A treat for sure.

ATPete, Jan 25, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

This was one among the many big guns Brad pulled out last night. Thank you, man!

Hazy, mildly pink with a thick white head, the retention is pretty stellar.
The nose is rather mellow, very Brute-like. Grassy funk and barnyard aroma is prominent with a surprisingly low level of blueberry character, though I'm not sure I'd label the nose as distinctly blueberry-like. Acidity is low as well.
The blueberry character is more noticeable on the palate, fruity, ripe and mildly jammy, behind which there's a hint of funk, barnyard and grassy character. Drying, grainy on the finish with a moderate level of tannins, this beer is overcarbonated, which detracts from the experience. Light in body, this beer is quite drinkable.

DefenCorps, Jan 24, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

The cork of LeBleu was nearly impossible to get off with a normal corkscrew; it took a prodigious amount of effort. Not to worry, I was reward with a geyser of sour beer. I guess I'll drink some and wear the rest.

The body is a cloudy blush color with a massive pinkish head. The head is huge; a bit too big in fact, but it dies down quickly, and by "quickly" I mean that it becomes a thin ring of foam almost instantly. Lots of thick, sticky lacing is left behind also.

The aroma has a bunch of sourness to it with all kinds of layers. Just a bit of blueberry comes in at the end. Lebleu smells a lot like sour candy.

The flavor is actually slightly less sour than the aroma. A blast of sourness up front that causes just a little bit of a puckering sensation in my mouth. After that I notice blueberries. The berry and sour flavors are roughly even in potency. Similar to the aroma, the berry flavor and the tartness combine to produce a flavor that is candy-like. The aftertaste leans a little more heavily on the blueberries than the sourness. Overall I would say that LeBleu reminds me a lot of Brute. Brute plus blueberries that is (which is a good thing).

The carbonation is really high and the body is light. Just the slightest puckering sensation. I would say LeBleu is actually overcarbonated, which is no surprise considering the massive head and my struggle to remove the cork.

LeBleu is a solid sour that I will have no problem with drinking an entire 750ml bottle. If you like Brute, you will most likely like LeBleu.

Hojaminbag, Jan 24, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks go out to jjayjaye for the opportunity. 750 ml. bottle poured into my Stone RIS tulip. Note: this was the hardest cork I have ever tried to remove. It took two people!

A: Hazy, watermelon red color. The pour drops a huge, fizzy, two fingers of pinkish, white head, that retains very well, with thick layers of lace.

A: Subdued berries, citrus, and funk. good amount of sugary sweetness, some chardonay, and a small amount of blueberry.

T: The blueberry is not as pronounced as I would have hoped, but the other flavors make up for that nicely. Great earthy sweetness, wine, and more funk from the Brett.

M: Sharp and tinglely. Light in body with aggressive carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is very high, I love the melding of flavors with this brew. The low ABV really ups the score here as well. Overall this is one fine sour. I wish there were a little more blueberry flavor, but as far as wilds go, this one is top notch. Skal.

Gtreid, Jan 23, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Wow. I love Brut. I like this more. Great looking beer: light purple, extremely effervenscent. Could easily convince me this was a sparkling rose, and that's not a bad thing. One of the better looking sours I've seen. Smells like a great sour as well. Enough brett to keep it interesting plus green apples. Save for the funk, the sparkling wine reference is again appropriate, but instead of a rose, smells more like a blanc de blanc. Nice, crisp acid. Again, apples dominate. I don't get blueberries so much, but that's just me. What's extremely interesting about this beer is the finish. I'm probably way off base, but I swear I taste lactic acid, as those this underwent malolatic fermentation. Kinda like fresh whipped cream (minus the sweetener) topped with fruit. And I love it! Really adds a complete mouthfeel and rounds out the beer in a way I've never experienced in a sour. Also finishes with a distinct vanilla note. I'd say its from the barrels, but sure as heck tastes like fresh vanilla beans were added to this one. Weird, but very interesting. Loved it after 1 glass. Began to overtake other notes after a second, which resulted in small hits on taste and drinkability.

As for the effervescence, I don't find this overcarbonated in the slightest. For the style, I think its dead on. Again, very much like a quality sparkler. In fact, I can't wait to pour this for some wino friends. I know they'll be impressed. This would absolutely be my go-to cross-over beer for winos, if only it were more readily available.

Well done, Ithaca.

jwjon1, Jan 23, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Really glad to be able to try this one. Thanks for the trade! From notes.

LeBleu pours a stunning reddish plum color with a HUGE head that has a pinkish hue, leaves plenty of lace and excellent retention.

Nice enough aroma, good Brett character. A general dirty earthiness and musty bales of hay. Very similar to brute in that regard. Some lemon zest and general overripened berry fruitiness. Just enough of a sourness to preface the taste.

Starts off with a low granny smith apple-like tart bite... some general fruitiness but not distinctly blueberry. Kind of tame in the sour department, but moderate funk flavors as described and a well-integrated fruitiness. Really not too intense, but it could get there with some time.

As the appearance indicated, this beer was just way too carbonated. That's saying a lot from me because I think that some of the american sour beers suffer from too low of a carbonation. This was just over-carbonated... it got better with some swirls and knocking a bit of it out. Very drinkable and overall another winner from Ithaca. Can't wait to see what they come up with next from their barrel program.

Ineedabeerhere, Jan 21, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

The man, the myth, the letdown sent me this beautiful bottle of goodness (aka BeerTruth). I loves me a fruited beer and I've been super excited to try this since I heard they were brewing it. Popped for the Vikings vs. Cowboys playoff game. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Batch E!021

Appearance- Pours a light pinkish with decent clarity, loads of Champaign like bubbles and a two finger bright white head from a VERY gentle pour. A fantastic cap and collar remains the entire beer as does sheets and sheets of thick sticky lacing.
Smell- A light blueberry tartness is fairly apparent from the first whiff I take. The sourness isn't all that strong in the nose but there is a sort of underlying earthiness that is dank and dirty. Nice sort of ying and yang with the freshness of the blueberries and earthiness of the Brett. As the beer warms I swear the blueberries get a bit more intense and smell more like strawberries than they do blueberries. A bit of grass and fresh hay also sneak in every now and again.
Taste- Starts with a light fruity tartness that isn't really blueberry per say, just sort of a citric berry thing. I'd almost say it's more white grapes than berry if I didn't know better. The wine barrels definitely add their share of acidic sharpness and I think that may be the majority of the grape like attributes that cut into the blueberries. The beer isn't all that sour yet but given some time it'll pucker up nicely. The barrel is light but a nice smooth oak is noticeable in the background adding some vanillin and a light tannic quality. The finish is quenching and fruity and lightly acidic.
Mouthfeel- A tad on the light side for me with some fairly aggressive carbonation that settles nicely after a few minutes.
Drinkability- I really really liked this brew a lot. Although I would like a bit more sour, that will happen with time. The blueberry is nice and really comes forward more as the beer warms. This beer is drastically better as it warms and really comes together nicely. Honestly, after my first sip when it was cold, I was sort of disappointed. But after warming the glass with my hands for about 5 minutes, I'm seriously impressed. Totally kick ass beer that's just gonna get better and better. Thanks Adam!

younger35, Jan 19, 2010