LeBleu - Ithaca Beer Company

LeBleuLeBleu

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: almychristopher on 01-01-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next › last »
HopHead84

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

1/27/2010

Thanks to Javier for opening this on 1/24/2010. Juxtaposed alongside batch 4 Blåbær, which was a mistake. LeBleu was completely overshadowed next to that, so I held off on reviewing it until I opened a bottle today and was able gave it my full attention. Thanks to WorldWideStout for the bottle.

The beer pours an attractive pink tinged reddish orange with a huge soapy three finger head. Retention is excellent and lacing is scattered.

The nose is lightly sweet with a grain-like quality and a faint mustiness. Subtle lactic notes are detectable. The berry aroma is quite faint. I suppose it could be construed as blueberry, but it just smells like a general berry. A vinous aromatic perfume quality is perceivable, and there's a dash of buttery oak.

The flavor opens with a light berry sweetness. Again, it don't taste a lot like blueberry to me...just general berry. Regardless, whatever type of berry flavor it is begins fading midpalate when a grainy quality begins to emerge. Brett is musty and sourness is clean and restrained, growing stronger toward the finish. Oak is noticeable. Nearly all flavor is erased in the oddly abrupt finish with only a bit of wooden grain lingering. My palate is left disoriented and searching for a resolution. The mouthfeel is dry and crisp, but the carbonation is too high which I find detracting.

I loved Brute so I had high expectations for this. This is a solid beer, though the fruit is very faint, the flavor is a bit muddled, and the finish is anticlimactic and precipitous.

01-28-2010 08:51:29 | More by HopHead84
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Big thanks to steelersxl for this. I chilled this beer for well over a week and it still gushed when I opened it. Pink in color with a very healthy white head foaming all over my glass. Smells quite sour at first and then super yeasty. I honestly was not too impressed by the aroma. The flavor was nice and sour with hints of blueberry but they were very subtle. This was easy to drink but it was not nearly as good as Brute.

01-28-2010 01:19:59 | More by ArrogantB
Ezekiel81923

3.45/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks to WorldWideStout for getting me a few bottles. This was a ridiculously tough cork to remove, and I even got sprayed in the face once I finally got it out. But, I won't hold that against the beer. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: More of a lighter amber or copper color than pink or red, but it did have some pinkish hues to it. White/pink head comprised of bug bubbles rises quick and falls to leave a small layer on top. Decent lacing.

Smell: Berries, Citrus, funk, sourness. Not an overwhelming amount of blueberry in it but it was there. Some sweetness, both sugary as well as from a mild chardonnay flavor. Was hoping there'd be a little more blueberry in this. I loved Abita Purple haze (i know i know, different style and different berry) but I still was hoping this would have a strong fruit profile like that one did. The funky sourness made up for it though I guess.

Taste: Chardonnay and other sweeteners are present. Again, not a big blueberry flavor but there is a fruitiness that you pick up at the end. Bit of an awkward aftertaste, but not bad. The big issue is I find this to be vastly over-carbonated, even for the style. I love sours, and have had some pretty heavily carbonated beers (and other beverages in general) but this one seems to dominate too much. From the time the beer hits my tongue, even through the middle, the carbonation just kicks away any other flavors and its even enough to cause some stomach discomfort after a while. It's only towards the end and into the swallow that the flavors come out. I don't know, it was unusual I thought, not what I was used to and not what I expected.

Mouthfeel: Again, over carbonated. But otherwise, very light in body and a very refreshing beer. Berry flavors linger a bit which is enticing.

Drinkability: Pretty good. I could finish the whole bottle no problem. It's pretty low in ABV which makes it an inviting session beer.

Perhaps this beer needed more time to settle down, or needs some age on it? But it was very very carbonated to the point where it took away some of the joy of drinking it. As it was, I can honestly say I prefer many other sours and wilds more than this. I'll grade it for what it was, and perhaps revisit another bottle in a month or two and see if I didn't just have a bad bottle or something. All that said, still a good beer worth trying.

01-27-2010 19:44:27 | More by Ezekiel81923
ATPete

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

750ml bottle, capped and with a blue synthetic cork, awesome.

Pours a reddish blue-ish brown purple hue with a small but resilient peachy white head that leaves some sticking, a few random floaties are spotted. Blueberry sour punch straws are the first thing that comes to mind when i stick my face in the glass. A sharp but gentle sourness looms over an aroma of fresh and mature blueberries and a mild woody scent. Crisp and of the highest quality, the blueberry flavor is undeniable, well balanced and insanely drinkable, refreshing in the most refreshing of ways. Lighter in body than i had originally expected, the palate is rich with flavor for quite a while between sips either way so im not complaining. A treat for sure.

01-25-2010 03:13:04 | More by ATPete
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

This was one among the many big guns Brad pulled out last night. Thank you, man!

Hazy, mildly pink with a thick white head, the retention is pretty stellar.
The nose is rather mellow, very Brute-like. Grassy funk and barnyard aroma is prominent with a surprisingly low level of blueberry character, though I'm not sure I'd label the nose as distinctly blueberry-like. Acidity is low as well.
The blueberry character is more noticeable on the palate, fruity, ripe and mildly jammy, behind which there's a hint of funk, barnyard and grassy character. Drying, grainy on the finish with a moderate level of tannins, this beer is overcarbonated, which detracts from the experience. Light in body, this beer is quite drinkable.

01-24-2010 18:25:32 | More by DefenCorps
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

The cork of LeBleu was nearly impossible to get off with a normal corkscrew; it took a prodigious amount of effort. Not to worry, I was reward with a geyser of sour beer. I guess I'll drink some and wear the rest.

The body is a cloudy blush color with a massive pinkish head. The head is huge; a bit too big in fact, but it dies down quickly, and by "quickly" I mean that it becomes a thin ring of foam almost instantly. Lots of thick, sticky lacing is left behind also.

The aroma has a bunch of sourness to it with all kinds of layers. Just a bit of blueberry comes in at the end. Lebleu smells a lot like sour candy.

The flavor is actually slightly less sour than the aroma. A blast of sourness up front that causes just a little bit of a puckering sensation in my mouth. After that I notice blueberries. The berry and sour flavors are roughly even in potency. Similar to the aroma, the berry flavor and the tartness combine to produce a flavor that is candy-like. The aftertaste leans a little more heavily on the blueberries than the sourness. Overall I would say that LeBleu reminds me a lot of Brute. Brute plus blueberries that is (which is a good thing).

The carbonation is really high and the body is light. Just the slightest puckering sensation. I would say LeBleu is actually overcarbonated, which is no surprise considering the massive head and my struggle to remove the cork.

LeBleu is a solid sour that I will have no problem with drinking an entire 750ml bottle. If you like Brute, you will most likely like LeBleu.

01-24-2010 03:30:41 | More by Hojaminbag
Gtreid

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks go out to jjayjaye for the opportunity. 750 ml. bottle poured into my Stone RIS tulip. Note: this was the hardest cork I have ever tried to remove. It took two people!

A: Hazy, watermelon red color. The pour drops a huge, fizzy, two fingers of pinkish, white head, that retains very well, with thick layers of lace.

A: Subdued berries, citrus, and funk. good amount of sugary sweetness, some chardonay, and a small amount of blueberry.

T: The blueberry is not as pronounced as I would have hoped, but the other flavors make up for that nicely. Great earthy sweetness, wine, and more funk from the Brett.

M: Sharp and tinglely. Light in body with aggressive carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is very high, I love the melding of flavors with this brew. The low ABV really ups the score here as well. Overall this is one fine sour. I wish there were a little more blueberry flavor, but as far as wilds go, this one is top notch. Skal.

01-23-2010 21:08:54 | More by Gtreid
jwjon1

Delaware

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Wow. I love Brut. I like this more. Great looking beer: light purple, extremely effervenscent. Could easily convince me this was a sparkling rose, and that's not a bad thing. One of the better looking sours I've seen. Smells like a great sour as well. Enough brett to keep it interesting plus green apples. Save for the funk, the sparkling wine reference is again appropriate, but instead of a rose, smells more like a blanc de blanc. Nice, crisp acid. Again, apples dominate. I don't get blueberries so much, but that's just me. What's extremely interesting about this beer is the finish. I'm probably way off base, but I swear I taste lactic acid, as those this underwent malolatic fermentation. Kinda like fresh whipped cream (minus the sweetener) topped with fruit. And I love it! Really adds a complete mouthfeel and rounds out the beer in a way I've never experienced in a sour. Also finishes with a distinct vanilla note. I'd say its from the barrels, but sure as heck tastes like fresh vanilla beans were added to this one. Weird, but very interesting. Loved it after 1 glass. Began to overtake other notes after a second, which resulted in small hits on taste and drinkability.

As for the effervescence, I don't find this overcarbonated in the slightest. For the style, I think its dead on. Again, very much like a quality sparkler. In fact, I can't wait to pour this for some wino friends. I know they'll be impressed. This would absolutely be my go-to cross-over beer for winos, if only it were more readily available.

Well done, Ithaca.

01-23-2010 00:17:22 | More by jwjon1
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Really glad to be able to try this one. Thanks for the trade! From notes.

LeBleu pours a stunning reddish plum color with a HUGE head that has a pinkish hue, leaves plenty of lace and excellent retention.

Nice enough aroma, good Brett character. A general dirty earthiness and musty bales of hay. Very similar to brute in that regard. Some lemon zest and general overripened berry fruitiness. Just enough of a sourness to preface the taste.

Starts off with a low granny smith apple-like tart bite... some general fruitiness but not distinctly blueberry. Kind of tame in the sour department, but moderate funk flavors as described and a well-integrated fruitiness. Really not too intense, but it could get there with some time.

As the appearance indicated, this beer was just way too carbonated. That's saying a lot from me because I think that some of the american sour beers suffer from too low of a carbonation. This was just over-carbonated... it got better with some swirls and knocking a bit of it out. Very drinkable and overall another winner from Ithaca. Can't wait to see what they come up with next from their barrel program.

01-21-2010 02:44:26 | More by Ineedabeerhere
younger35

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

The man, the myth, the letdown sent me this beautiful bottle of goodness (aka BeerTruth). I loves me a fruited beer and I've been super excited to try this since I heard they were brewing it. Popped for the Vikings vs. Cowboys playoff game. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Batch E!021

Appearance- Pours a light pinkish with decent clarity, loads of Champaign like bubbles and a two finger bright white head from a VERY gentle pour. A fantastic cap and collar remains the entire beer as does sheets and sheets of thick sticky lacing.
Smell- A light blueberry tartness is fairly apparent from the first whiff I take. The sourness isn't all that strong in the nose but there is a sort of underlying earthiness that is dank and dirty. Nice sort of ying and yang with the freshness of the blueberries and earthiness of the Brett. As the beer warms I swear the blueberries get a bit more intense and smell more like strawberries than they do blueberries. A bit of grass and fresh hay also sneak in every now and again.
Taste- Starts with a light fruity tartness that isn't really blueberry per say, just sort of a citric berry thing. I'd almost say it's more white grapes than berry if I didn't know better. The wine barrels definitely add their share of acidic sharpness and I think that may be the majority of the grape like attributes that cut into the blueberries. The beer isn't all that sour yet but given some time it'll pucker up nicely. The barrel is light but a nice smooth oak is noticeable in the background adding some vanillin and a light tannic quality. The finish is quenching and fruity and lightly acidic.
Mouthfeel- A tad on the light side for me with some fairly aggressive carbonation that settles nicely after a few minutes.
Drinkability- I really really liked this brew a lot. Although I would like a bit more sour, that will happen with time. The blueberry is nice and really comes forward more as the beer warms. This beer is drastically better as it warms and really comes together nicely. Honestly, after my first sip when it was cold, I was sort of disappointed. But after warming the glass with my hands for about 5 minutes, I'm seriously impressed. Totally kick ass beer that's just gonna get better and better. Thanks Adam!

01-19-2010 02:46:15 | More by younger35
CrazyMacHarris99

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to huey782 for trading me this one. This one pours a very hazy reddish orange with a fizzy two finger head that stuck around with a lot of tight bubbles clinging to the glass. The smell is all sour! Its all horse blanket with a hint of sweetness but no blueberries at all. The taste starts out sour with some funk that is what I want in an American Wild. The blueberries are an afterthought that linger in the aftertaste. There is hardly any sweetness at all. There is an unpleasant overripe fruit in the finish as well. The mouthfeel is pleasant with the champagne yeast but a little thin. If it wasn't for the bad taste in the finish this one would be very drinkable. Not too bad though and always great when its a sour!

01-18-2010 05:12:53 | More by CrazyMacHarris99
jrallen34

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

I drank this from a 750 ml bottle into my Rodenbach tulip.

The beer pouts a pinkish purple with huge carbonation. The light pink head fills up the glass instantly. It stays forever and as it falls leaves tons of chunky head and lacing.

The aroma is very tart, lots of horse blanket, almost stings the nose. You don't get much more than the tart, wish there was a little more complexity there.

The taste is much more muted than the aroma. I was expecting a total pucker but this was a smooth drinker. It starts out tart than fades quiclky to a little sweetness at the end. The finish really fizzes like you are drinking champagne, its very unique. There is some oak in there as well.

Overall, this is a very good lambic. Its tart, but allows you to drink it and has a nice distinctness to it. It could be world class if there was a little more bluberry in it.

The feel is decent, but this is incredibly drinkable for a tart lambic.

01-16-2010 03:21:54 | More by jrallen34
SpeedwayJim

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Finally getting to review this one... courtesy of schen9303. Poured from a wine bottle into an Ithaca tulip after having a fight with the cork...

A: Gentle pour yields a massive 5 finger very light pink fluffy fine head that never dissipated... Beer is a reddish bronze. Lacing looked like a whirlwind... The first beer I can say had too much head retention for me.

S: Funk, tartness, wood, oaky, slight red fruit, and not the slightest hint of blueberries... false advertising... but it still smells nice.

T: Opens sour and funky, oakiness is detectable. Red fruit and funky tartness remain in the middle. Finishes slightly sweet, tartness dissipates. Upon the second sip, the blueberries are more detectable as the sour and funk fades... comes in at the opening, lasting to the middle.

M: Light bodied, coarse, carbonated, dry, but not as dry as some other sours I've sampled. Finish is dry but also a bit messy, sourness lingers a bit.

D: The name of the game is balance for this beer. Not too sour, not too sweet, just right in every way. It isn't gonna blow anyone away but its probably not gonna dissapoint anyone either. The hype is deserved and I can't wait to have another!!

01-16-2010 00:42:48 | More by SpeedwayJim
Billolick

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

$19 at DeCiccio's in Ardsley, NY...batch E!024, blue foil, cap and synthetic cork. Was a frother at first, but calmed down after the initial spew. Pours clouded medium reddish plum, under a pinkish, loose and delicate head, that quickly goes to peaked merainge, then a 1/2 coating and all kinds of wild and elegent lace and more froth, nice looking brew. Also one of the loudest heads I can recall, active bubbles! Champagne feel all over this one.Fairly tame nose with some barnyard, fresh fruit and horsey notes. Crisp, moderatly sour, but not biting. Fruity and fresh tasting. More barnyard picked up, lasting sour, tart fruit, complex and tasty, sour beer lovers/wild ale lovers will be all over this quality offering. Another impressive brew from NY state's Ithaca. Well done!

01-14-2010 04:38:50 | More by Billolick
alcstradamus

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Big thanks to Jim for this one. Pours a beautiful grapefruit color with a large 3 fingers of head that camps out forever.

The smell is nicely tart. Hints of band aid and cobwebs. There is definitely a juicy fruitness present, but I would not be able to identify the blueberries if I didn't already know they were there. Some grape skins and earthiness round out the nose.

Onto the taste....wow, this is pretty damn solid. There is not any big funkiness, sourness, or fruitness, but all three components do blend together quite well and provide an incredibly balanced wild ale. Not an easy achievement for the style. The blueberries aren't really prominent which means there is some room for improvement, but they do come out in the finish and linger on the back of the tongue for a bit.

Mouthfeel is light with a high level of prickly carbonation. Not really dry at all, in fact my mouth salivates after every swallow. Drinkability is very high due to the balanced flavor profile.

Well....overall I have to say that this beer is a winner. Probably won't knock many peoples socks off simply because of the lack of funk and sour, but standing on its own this beer delivers great flavor and is very refreshing.

01-09-2010 00:46:04 | More by alcstradamus
koopa

4.45/5  rDev +4%

I got to try a 6oz sample of this thanks to a very generous friend (non-BA) who grabbed a bottle at the brewery on the way home from a ski trip in Canada!

Appearance: Pours an attractive pink with a slight cloudiness to it. The crown is white with pink highlights, 2 fingers, fairly fluffy / rocky, shows some retention and lace.

Smell: Muscat grapes, barnyard, a hint of blueberry, a hint of lemon, and a dash of urine. Very similar to Brute but with a toasted barrel quality and blueberry dryness.

Taste: Mild barnyard must, hay, grapes, and a hint of blueberries. I'd give it a 4.3 if I could. My favorite aspect is the interplay between the tart blueberries and the lightly charred oak barrel notes.

Mouthfeel: Extremely light and fairly well carbonated so it's crisp. Nice but I'd like it to be a touch more hefty. UPDATE: Drinking a bottle on 2/9/10 and finding that the champagne yeast is really starting to smooth out.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable example of the style.

Another nice wild ale from Ithaca Beer!

01-05-2010 23:46:59 | More by koopa
naproxen

District of Columbia

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Made the snowy trek on New Years Eve from Syracuse to Ithaca with BeerTruth for this much anticipated release. The sample we had at the brewery barely held me over until this morning's Le Bleu and blueberry pancakes breakfast :)

If a beer can be pretty, this one is the princess barbie of beer in my Ithaca Excelsior! tulip. The thick, very pale pink head stays in a meringue like state for a good 3 minutes before reducing to a heavily laced glass and a thin but persistent layer of froth. The color itself is medium reddish/purple pink, hinting at hues of slight amber, hazy body. It kind of reminds me of a thinned out raspberry jam.

Le Bleu reminded of me of Brute at first inhale, but I like the nose on this much more. The blueberry is very well hidden in the nose, I think it adds more of a balance and sweetness that stands it apart from brute. These blueberries come out much more in the taste, but again not trying to win over all the other flavors that are here as well. It starts out sweet and blueberry, turning right into a pleasant sourness with a hint of vinegar, and a dry finish and slight sour puckering. I actually think I am getting more blueberry now in the aftertaste which is a lovely departing gift. There is no question as to the drinkability on this one, at 5% it is crisp and refreshing.

Edit: Blueberry is coming out much much more now that it's been sitting here another 10 minutes.

I enjoy the addition of fruits to sours/wilds. In more cases than not, the fruits work well to balance out some of the more extreme flavors that the wild yeasts produce. Le Bleu is an excellent example of this. The blueberries never jump out and scream "taste only me", opting instead to bring all the flavors together. Le Bleu is drinking amazing right now in its youth, I look forward to seeing what age evolves this into.

01-03-2010 18:09:48 | More by naproxen
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Picked up a couple bottles at the brewery.

750 ml. (blue) corked bottle with a blue foil top poured into a tulip. I was told this was aged in three different wine barrels from three different local Finger Lakes wineries...awesome. Not enough wine barrel aging in the beer world if you ask me. Paired with Aliza's blueberry pancakes :)

Pours a stunning reddish-purple with a light pink three finger fluffy cloud head. Amazing stick with this, thick lacing holds on tight to the sides of the glass. Just an amazing looking beer overall. Very Brute-esque in the nose; funky aromas consisting of citrus, grass, horse blanket, and earth. As for the blueberries, they're definitely there but kept in check with a good dose of wine barrel as well. Taste starts off with tart berries, funky hay, and a touch of oak. Midway crisp lemon flavors emerge with a slight vinegar sting, but not much. Aftertaste is quick and crisp with a sour bite. Only thing I could use more of on the tongue are more blueberries, still amazing flavors regardless. The feel is killer. So light and refreshing with a high carbonation, perfect for the style. As for drinkability, Le Bleu is insanely easy to drink...almost too easy. I love this beer, do I dare say I love it more than Brute? Yes. Another amazing sour from Chief. Looking forward to seeing what some age will do to this. Get this one while you can folks.

01-03-2010 17:55:10 | More by BeerTruth
jjayjaye

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a hazy rose color almost like a pink grapefruit juice but with a light amber glow and a surprisingly foamy white head. The smell is an aggressive funky sour lemon fruity citrus that reminds me of Brute, with a suggestion of the berries. Full flavored, bright sour fruity taste earthy funk with a touch of sweetness that grounds it out. The effervescent mouth feel really lightens up the texture of the body. It's not over powering, finishes with clean tart notes that linger briefly. Low ABV easy drinker.

01-03-2010 16:32:10 | More by jjayjaye
WesWes

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

The beer pours a reddish/pink color with a thick frothy white head with pink tints that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a damn sour aroma with some light blueberry accents. It's light and dry and ohh so sour. The taste is perfect. It's light and fruity with a killer sourness right up there with some of Cantillion's best offerings. Wow, what a beer! The chief has really delivered with this one. The blueberry character is present, but really only adds color and a bit of complexity. The rest is unadulterated Brett, horse hair sourness. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a beautiful beer. It's more than I could have imagined. Great job, everyone at Ithaca Beer Company! Hail to the Chief!

01-01-2010 03:55:16 | More by WesWes
almychristopher

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

this beer pours a very pretty amber red color with an off white head, the off white is a bit purple. the foamy head seam is determined to last out the session. the aroma brings the wild yeast strains; ala, le brute strong in the forefront backed nicely by the fruity esters and fruit from the blueberry. the taste starts very nicely with the sweet blueberry and malt, and contrasts nicely with the sour fruity wild yeast esters, and the spicy finish. the light body, low alcohol and aggressive carbonation will make this an easy bottle to finish.

01-01-2010 03:15:25 | More by almychristopher