2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flower Power India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,563 | Reviews: 1,123 | Show All Ratings:
mlazzaro

Served in a snifter. only lightly chilled in a refrigerator. 12 oz bottle.

Orange copper color. Creamy white head, great retention. Head rings lacing the glass on every sip.

Immediately smells of hop flowers, citrous notes and a pungent grapefruit aroma upon opening the bottle.

Balanced and very flavorful at the same time. Sweetness is spot on. Bitterness is powerful but not scorching. Very pleasant and satisfying mouthfeel. ABV was surprising, but suiting. Great beer.

I didn't think that a single American IPA could receive such a score. Way better than I expected.

"You can drink this stuff flat and warm and it is still delicious." says my buddy Joe.

08-22-2010 21:41:15 | More by mlazzaro
MA08

Served in a standard pint glass at Pour Judgement in Newport, RI.

Pours a bright orange hazy color with a thick creamy white head, with retention throughout. Immediate pungent smells of hop flowers and grapefruit. Taste is very hoppy without being extremely bitter in the aftertaste. Extremely drinkable with the right balance for a Western-Style American IPA. Easily the best "below the radar" American IPA out there.

08-24-2010 14:45:11 | More by MA08
prg1976

Pours a nice clear amber color with a decent amount of off-white head. Dissipates quickly, leaving a nice thin layer on top.

Smell is sweet floral citrus. Orange peel. Awesome

Tastes a nicely bitter, citrusy, sweet. The bitterness hangs around a bit, but it's not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is nice and light. The bitterness is there, but it should be IMO. Drinkability is good, there's a nice mid range abv so you could have a couple.

This is an awesome beer. A great west-coast style IPA from an east-coast brewery. Bravo, Ithaca!

12-04-2010 02:15:23 | More by prg1976
Risser09

12 oz bottle poured into a white wine glass - fridge temp - 2011 bottling

Appearance: Golden orange color beer. 3" tall off-white head that has great retention. Very pillowy head that lasts and lasts. Ecellent lacing.

Smell: Nice, bright, floral aromas of honeysuckle, rose, grapefruit, and some pine needles. A touch of malt sweetness. Excellent.

Taste: This could be a perfect IPA taste. Here's why: The beer is 7.5% alcohol and you can taste just enough of it. The hop flavors are citrusy & floral with notes of pine in the background. I get lots of grapefruit, some light melon, honeysuckle and just an overall HOP flavor. The brewers nailed this beer.

Mouthfeel: Again, perfect alcohol feel, light and airy in the mouth. Smooth drinking with an acceptable amount of bitterness. Malts are in check to balance everything out.

Drinkability: This is a perfect American IPA that I would love to duplicate in my own brewing efforts. Good for those up in New York who have quick access to this cheap, refined, archetypal offering.

07-10-2011 21:14:10 | More by Risser09
josefnewsong

Just what an IPA should be...the epitome of freshness...was able to have this at several intervals this summer, my favorite was 3 months from the bottling date. Also had a side by side tasting with Two Hearted just to make sure this beer was really as good as I thought it was. It is. Floral, and I mean super floral, hop flavors EVERYWHERE...and the citrus is there as well, mouthfeel is full but not sticky or overly resinous, just refreshing as hell with a perfect amount of carbonation. Hazy bright orange color with beautiful white head. Malts provide the backbone and not too much else while so many colors of hop flavor explode on you at different times. Can't say enough about it.

08-22-2011 04:24:02 | More by josefnewsong
BERNUTBAG

this is one to have in your frig, nice color smells well balanced with hops and floral, taste the same, a really drinkable beer, will get more when i visit Julios in mass, next to heady, zombie dust and the furious this will be one of my favs, need more flower power

05-15-2012 18:46:52 | More by BERNUTBAG
jwikan

I just poured this one after a year or so break from Flower Power and this confirms my past thoughts and feelings. For my taste (I am a brewer) this is pretty much a perfect IPA.
Just a beautiful nose, nice sweet malt profile (I am assuming it was mashed out as high of a temp as possible), the hops profile is astounding! Not to much simcoe (think cat pee smell) not to much bittering hops and a pile of flavoring hops. Must be dry hopped to the max!To capture the nose, a wide wine glass does the trick. You may miss it if you drink it from the bottle.

Carbonation = stellar

Why in the heck would we rate a beer on appearance, who cares?
FYI we are lucky to have the inventor working up here at Peekskill Brewery now, and it seems every beer they put out now has a bit of the FP magic.

If I find an IPA beer thats better I will just have to give it a 5.1 but as long as one doesn't drink a 5 every single day it should stay a 5. I am not going to wait until I die to give a beer a 5. I think 20 years of testing is fine.

03-28-2013 02:47:51 | More by jwikan
ETill

I've only had this on draft, but I would rank this as the most perfect beer I have had. If you're an IPA fan who enjoys the more aromatic IPA's. you've got to try this. SImply fantastic.

Notes: Had on draft in Central PA at both Vic's pub and Smiling Chameleon. Absolutely fantastic in both cases.

06-26-2013 01:45:13 | More by ETill
bcheng

After tasting it at the brewery (with great food and tap room) and several tastings from fresh bottles, I've decided this is my favorite IPA! It is floral, being one of the most fragrant IPA's I've ever had: Citrus, piney, hoppy, crisp, and just the right amount of hop and malt balance so it's not overly bitter but bitter enough to make it interesting. This is a world class beer.

This is my favorite for the style, and I've tasted quite a lot of IPAs. At 7.5% ABV, I can drink a couple and it will make my day! If you like the Stone Enjoy By, this one is for you, and tastes like a DIPA too.

My only wish is that they distribute this in Virginia so I can get it locally.

08-29-2013 02:58:42 | More by bcheng
beerloserLI

Pours out a straw hazy blonde. Really nice.

Major hops, and a very floral smell with plenty of citrus, pine, and resin tones.

Fruity sweet hops upfront with a smooth clean finish. A little bitter on the back end as it goes on. Still, easy drinking and yet full flavored.

10-17-2013 05:09:16 | More by beerloserLI
AngeloTheBartender

I give this beer a perfect 5 across the board. Ithaca really nailed it with this one. The name Flower Power speaks for itself. The honey orange glowing appearance calls out to you right from the pour. Less than a finger head that lingers around. The mouth feel on this beer is equal to the robust nose that it offers leaving no disappointments. Truthfully for the more experienced IPA drinker. FYI this beer will change your palate for the night so it will be tough to drink anything less in flavor.

02-24-2014 17:45:41 | More by AngeloTheBartender
Ves22

4.99/5  rDev +17.4%

Great IPA. Citrusy taste with the perfect amount of hops. My perfect IPA. This is a beer I can keep drinking all night. I have drank many different IPAs and they do not come close to this beer. Smooth finish with a good after taste. I will buying this beer wherever I see it.

03-30-2013 03:12:52 | More by Ves22
twokansamm

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

WOW! This beer is crazy good. When I got it from the Anderson's, I thought "another wanna be IPA". Man Was I wrong.

I am blown away by the Floral, Piney, AND citrusy aromas With a great hop bitterness, it is well balances in the malt arena. This is right up there with Pliny IMO.

07-08-2010 20:18:20 | More by twokansamm
Pyner

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

This is by far my favorite IPA to date. Incredibly floral and extremely smooth. It compares somewhat to Hop Wallop from Victory but is better. This beer also hides its potency very well and is very easy to drink. As the beer warms up its citrus tones begin to shine thru making it even more complex and delicious. Well done Ithaca!

Serving type: growler

07-22-2010 19:56:18 | More by Pyner
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Received as an extra from inebriatedjoker in a recent trade...

Pours a cloudy golden with a persistent head atop... Lots of lacing...

Pungent piney hop aromas... A touch of malt but this is all about the hops. A fresh bouquet of hoppiness... Pine and citrus hops abound and seem deeper and more intense than others of the style..

Dank deep piney hoppiness all the way... Loaded with resiny piney hops that coat the palate and dominate the senses... Unbelievable...

A world class IPA in my opinion... It's deep and dank with resiny piney hops and is better than 99% of the IPAs that I've had... Awesome brew...

12-27-2010 18:11:09 | More by Tilley4
thebrood1987

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Leaves a really nice rocky ice cream scoop head and has a hazy and cloudy look to it even though its not unfiltered this is from all the hops they put into the beer. I get a nice thick citrus wet hop smell that reminds me of Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. The taste is in amazing array of juicy citrus hops that are just pushing that resin potent taste. It ends with a nice bitter finish that doesn't last too long but long enough to let you know this is a great IPA.

It has a freshness notch next to January so this is a month old so it may have some more bitterness than what I'm explaining but it's still even at a month past its due date amazingly hoppy. The hop flavor is what this beer is all about. The mouthfeel I think wins this beer over for many because its thick honey like malt feel mixes in with the thick hops taste and it creates an outstanding quality beer.

I just had a Green Flash West Coast IPA and even though its not as pungent and bitter as that this still some of the best east coast IPA's like Dogfish Head 60 minute.

02-19-2011 02:53:03 | More by thebrood1987
Finatic

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a chilled Troeg's pint glass.

A: Pours a nice amber. orange color with a big white foamy head. Lacing sticks to the glass as the beer recedes.

S: Tropical notes overwhelm the nose. The resiny hop smell is awesome. This is one of my favorite smelling beers outside of fresh Hopslam.

T: Tastes like it smells.

M: Medium carbonation, very smooth and easy to drink.

O: Awesome IPA and hands down my favorite IPA. Always looking to get my hands on this one.

12-18-2011 22:09:41 | More by Finatic
bennway

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

a: About one finger of head, a medium golden color, not sparkling clear but considerably transparent.

s: Smell is always my real first impression, and this beer does not disappoint. If I were interviewing this beer for a job, and its smell was our handshake, I would hire this beer on the spot. Fantastic aroma hops, note of citrus fruit.

t: The exceptionally pleasant sweetness from the honey malt is exceeded only by its hop bill. Despite what I thought was an obvious ingredient, I was surprised to find out that this beer is not brewed with any citra hops. Regardless, notes of citrus and bright tangerine dominate.

m: Sweet and light, in some ways almost reminds me of Tang, for those of you who remember.

o: Hands down, one of my favorite IPA's and favorite beers for that matter. Floral, sweet and at 7.5%, it has knocked me over in more ways that one and raises the bar.

02-12-2012 17:37:21 | More by bennway
joejost

4.93/5  rDev +16%

First let me say I am a huge fan of Flower Power and have had it in bottles, growler, and on-tap.

This review is based on unfiltered on-tap at the brewery less than 30 minutes after they kegged it.

Poured a cloudy golden-yellowish, with a beautiful white head.
That smell!! Instantly recognize the grapefruit, pineapple, hop aroma.
This tastes incredible! I could drink this morning, noon, and night, for the next 40 years.

12-09-2009 18:58:17 | More by joejost
btorsdog

4.93/5  rDev +16%

Ya gotta love this stuff! Totally put together in a awesome way.
looks amazing with a solid golgen appearance
smells like a walk through a hops garden surronded buy an orange grove, sweeeet!
tastes even better than nose if that is possible, complex yet straightforward IPA flavor
Definetly a smooth well crafted brew that is absolutely amazing. Glad this one made it to my end of town,willbe in my fridge at all times from this day forward!

03-27-2010 01:03:03 | More by btorsdog
DmanGTR

4.93/5  rDev +16%

Review from notes in Jan 2010. Thanks for buying me a pint Jim!

Poured a lovely orangey amber, a little bit of haze, with a pearly 1" head that left ample lacing and retained wonderfully. The bouquet is a rich piny and citrusy balance and a LOT of it! Hugely aromatic and floral with a bit of earthy tones. A light honey/caramel backbone with ample citrus fruits and pine. I shan't drink less than a pint of this every time.

06-14-2010 15:13:24 | More by DmanGTR
stearns16

Connecticut

Hop heaven in a glass.

A - Hazy orange with a solid white head.

S - Pleasant and clean - orange, grapefruit and piney

T - Refreshing. The first sip leaves you wanting more ... and there's a nice bitter finish.

An interesting beer that reminds me of summer, but tastes great in the winter, too.

01-19-2011 23:21:53 | More by stearns16
OddNotion

4.93/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Poured into my DFH Signature Glass. Pours with a one finger white head and a beautiful hazy orange color.

Smell: Each smell of this beer provided me with a nice smile. There is a ton of citrusy fruit, other fruit smells, and very sweet. Amazing, I love the hop aroma on this bad boy.

Taste: The taste follows the nose. An incredible citrus bomb. There is some nice bitterness to back it up but this beer is fruity as which is probably my favorite flavor in an IPA.

Mouthfeel: There is a nice carbonation, very active and it really helps enhance the experience with this beer. There is a good body to it as well, not too light not too thick.

Overall: This was a fresh bottle. I can see how others may think it is mediocre of they acquire a bottle that is a little dated from my previous experiences with this IPA. It is one of my favorites and if you ge the chance to have it fresh jump all over it! It makes a world of difference. This East Coast brewed West Coast Style IPA can hang with the best of them.

03-31-2011 05:30:18 | More by OddNotion
BobaFret

4.93/5  rDev +16%

A - A nice, clear light orange/gold color with a creamy white head that lingers.

S - Tropical fruits dominate the aroma followed by a subtle dank character. One of the most appealing aromas on an IPA.

T - Sweet, citrusy, juicy! You can taste everything that is in the aroma. You can definitely taste the Citra and Simcoe hops.

M - Smooth, medium body.

O - A superb, drinkable IPA!

05-11-2013 04:28:28 | More by BobaFret
mschofield

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Fantastic beer. Pours a dark gold to light amber, fluffy huge head possibly from the high hopping? Tan with sticky cathedral window lacing and it just doesn't quit.

Tropical aroma, overall fruity but I can pick out pineapple and mango and citrus by inhaling deeply.

Same reflected in the taste, with the sweetness of honey malt, different than crystal but the malt is mainly there right before the swallow, it's all tropical fruit up front.

Medium bodied for the style, just a touch of rawness and bite to it. Drinkability is world class, have to remind myself it's 7.5% and not something I could just drink one after the other even though it tastes good enough to do exactly that.

03-03-2011 00:33:56 | More by mschofield