Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flower Power India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,879 | Reviews: 1,264

Hop heaven in a glass.

A - Hazy orange with a solid white head.

S - Pleasant and clean - orange, grapefruit and piney

T - Refreshing. The first sip leaves you wanting more ... and there's a nice bitter finish.

An interesting beer that reminds me of summer, but tastes great in the winter, too.

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

A - A nice, clear light orange/gold color with a creamy white head that lingers.

S - Tropical fruits dominate the aroma followed by a subtle dank character. One of the most appealing aromas on an IPA.

T - Sweet, citrusy, juicy! You can taste everything that is in the aroma. You can definitely taste the Citra and Simcoe hops.

M - Smooth, medium body.

O - A superb, drinkable IPA!

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Review from notes in Jan 2010. Thanks for buying me a pint Jim!

Poured a lovely orangey amber, a little bit of haze, with a pearly 1" head that left ample lacing and retained wonderfully. The bouquet is a rich piny and citrusy balance and a LOT of it! Hugely aromatic and floral with a bit of earthy tones. A light honey/caramel backbone with ample citrus fruits and pine. I shan't drink less than a pint of this every time.

4.91/5  rDev +16.1%

Presentation: It looks like Ithaca brewery changed up the label again.

Appearance: Golden, yellow. High carbonation. Strong lace.

Smell: Pine and Flower.

Taste: Pine, citrus, pineapple. Balance exceptionally well by the malt backbone.

Overall: I wrote this up quick because I wanted to drink this beer, giving it the respect it deserves. If I had to compare this to another beer I'd (dare I say it) say that it is very similar to Heady Topper. I just wish that it was unfiltered as it has been in the past, but what else can you ask for. Another exceptional Northeast IPA.

4.91/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This Beer got me infatuated with IPA's! Can't drink anything other style! Thank you ITHACA!

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the things I miss about upstate

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Now this is what an iPa should be

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

Flower Power is my reference for American IPAs. It strikes a very nice balance between citrus and bitter. The nose is second to none.

My only reservation about this beer is food pairing. It really seems like a beer that deserves to be tasted on its own with a clean palate.

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

Fantastic beer. Pours a dark gold to light amber, fluffy huge head possibly from the high hopping? Tan with sticky cathedral window lacing and it just doesn't quit.

Tropical aroma, overall fruity but I can pick out pineapple and mango and citrus by inhaling deeply.

Same reflected in the taste, with the sweetness of honey malt, different than crystal but the malt is mainly there right before the swallow, it's all tropical fruit up front.

Medium bodied for the style, just a touch of rawness and bite to it. Drinkability is world class, have to remind myself it's 7.5% and not something I could just drink one after the other even though it tastes good enough to do exactly that.

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

Best I.P.A. I've ever experienced. Came highly reccomended, and did not disappoint. The taste is what puts this beer over the top; it's like an all-out assault of delicious hops attacking your taste buds...in a good way. If there's any better I.P.A. out there, I haven't encountered it yet.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Finally found a fresh sixer. Poured from bottle into nonic pint glass.

Pours into a beautiful, light orange/copper color. A small bit of head that leaves sticky lacing. A little bit hazy. This is what I think a beer should look like.

Before I even bring this close to my face, I can smell orange juice very strongly. Definitely some pine and pineapple. Overall a very fruity, welcoming smell. I just want to sniff this all day.

First sip, and I'm in heaven. Much like the smell, I get a strong taste of orange juice. Almost sour in taste. Pine and a lot of delicious fruits. Floral hop tastes but not overwhelmingly bitter. Some background spice or sweet malts.

On first sip it nearly burns, like a sour candy would, but the feeling fades. Moderate carbonation, smooth and dry. Super refreshing and insanely drinkable.

This is definitely an instant top 3 beer for me and my new favorite IPA. The smell and taste drove me to write my first review here. Not much more I could want from this style.

4.86/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Oh my heavens, a beer I've had a hundred times before. And I hope to have a hundred a hundred times again.
This is the real deal ladies and gentlemen, and I am proud of this local product. Smells like a pinecone mated with a citrus and developed some kind of wonderful bastard spawn. Tastes even better, this one leaves no lie between nose and tongue. To be honest, I can say more about the nose than the taste as I find it hard to stop sniffing it. When I take a swig, I am thinking of all the more exclusive and higher priced IPAs I've had. My quest for the hard-to-come-by and hyped-up has led me to neglect a true jewel, right underneath my fingertips. Never again. Ithaca, my hat is off to you, this is a masterpiece.

4.86/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Best IPA I have tasted yet. I will be honest I am not into appearance or smell. I am into the taste of IPAs and beer in general. The taste is amazing in this IPA. I also visited the brewery and had it on draft. Draft was delicious as well but the bottle was just as good. Almost tastes likes double IPA. I would recommend this to any IPA lover...Expensive but worth it.

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

S: Fresh mango and grapefruit juice, lots of sweet orange and tangerine.

L: Slight hazy burnt orange, creamy white head, 1/4 inch retention, amazing lacing.

T: Sweet malt with a bold mango and grapefruit hoppiness. Medium high citrus bitterness leads to loads more fruits. Great balance of clean malt with hoppiness with a bit more of the latter. Finishes with a touch of malt sweetness and remnants of clean hoppiness. Layers of hops but still kept in check.

M: Medium full body, medium low carbonation.

Really great balance and amazing hoppiness. Best east coast IPA i've ever had. So kept in check and great layers of hops, love it.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

Purchased at 6er for $11.50 at the local Bottle King. So much to say about this one...where oh where do I start? First off, this brew singlehandedly ruined every other IPA I drink on a regular basis, for I no longer want to drink any of them. I'd guesstimate that roughly 80% of the beers I drink are IPA's, and I drink some of the best (well at least those that are readily available). Flower Power is so refrshing and delicious that I can't believe I haven't tried it yet. I won't trash any other IPA's for I love the style, but last night I followed this one with a higher rated and more universally loved IPA which I normally rather enjoy (just to see if Flower Power was a good as I thought), and I felt like pouring the other beer down the drain for it couldn't even hold a candle to Flower Power. Oh, if you think $11.50 is pricey for a 6er,think again, I'd personally be happy to pay double that for this one (just don't tell that to Ithaca brewing).

A: Light amber with very nice carbonation, less than 1 finger white head, some sediment floating around. Very appealing

S: Pure heaven: Grapefruit dominates the show, but it's like the freshest smelling grapefruit ever. When you smell other IPA's you have to stretch it when you say it smells like this fruit or that fruit, this beer actually smells like a glass of fresh squeezed red grapefruit. Also picked up some mango or apricot, pineapple and orange peel.

T: Exactly like it smells, like a fruit punch of citrus fruits, with a nice sweetness. I guess that sweetness is the malts but it doesn't taste like your typical malt flavors, it's better. A nice bitter hoppy taste rears it's pretty head on the finish, yet it's not overpowering. At 7.5% ABV you would have no clue that this beer even has alcohol in it, that's how smooth it is. Perfect for a summer's day or any day for that matter..just perfect

M: Medium body with medium to high carbonation that just rinses prepares your mouth for the next sip. Amazing.

O: Need I say anymore, if you're an IPA fan and haven't tried the Flower Power I ask with all sincerity..what the fchuck are you waiting for?? When I find a better readily available IPA, I'll write about it. Yet I don't think that will be anytime soon.

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am so glad to be an Ithacan when this beer's poured near my mouth! This has been my favorite brew for several years now, but I've been putting off the review as feelings of inadequacy block my brain, wondering how I can do it justice.

Swirled to stir gently in bottle, then poured high into a pint glass: the turbid bright SRM 4 raises a head that's stiff, ivory, persistent, leaves lacing like a mantilla sliding down. The brew's tiny particles raise tiny bubbles like the ale of your dreams

Smells of hay, grapefruit, pine needles, every good kind of hop just hopping.

Tastes like a drink I'd switch to when other beers aren't doing the job. Bitter nibbling fiercely, tanning the tongue, excellently tangy astringencies whapping the uvula like lightning-fast speedboxer on the way down, taste that reaches the back of the gullet and stays there, aftertaste that will make your bikeride home through snow a beautiful trip.

Mouthfeel perfectly tingling with carbonation, hop oils slick and sticky, makes me want to hawk up a phlegm chunk and even that tastes real good.

When an interesting new draft beer shows up at any of my favorite Ithaca bars, I'm always glad to try it for a change, but even gladder when this great IPA is on tap, as it nearly always tastes better than anything else I try. You non-Ithacans are so lucky we export this stuff!

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

poured from 12oz bottle into Rapscallion snifter.

pours a golden honey color with noticeable haze (i didn't decant this time). thick white head that sticks to the glass for a long time.

amazing fruity hop aroma. pineapple and grapefruit are very noticible with notes of pine bitterness and a subtle malt character. practically smells like fruit punch, but i know there's no fruit added to this beer which is impressive.

deliciously hoppy fruit (grapefruit, pineapple) flavor up front which makes it a little sweet at first but then nice and bitter in the middle. hops linger on the tastes buds for quite some time after sipping. excellent.

delicately smooth mouthfeel; very drinkable but the hops will kill your tastebuds after a few.

amazingly hoppy IPA without being too bitter. not the cleanest finish ala Pliny the Elder, but it still has enough of that citrusy punch to make this one of the best east coast IPAs to come by.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Serving - 12oz bottle aggressively poured into a 16oz Mystic tulip

Appearance - 1inch head stays for a bit before fading to a frothy crown. Ale is bronzed and slightly glowing. Beautiful looking brew.

Smell - after tasting a few six packs of this it's finally hit home. Pine,citrus, flowery And grapefruit yes, but also wonderful smells of pineapple and mango. Touch of guava says the missus.

Taste - sharp and bitter to start, smooth tropical flavours follow. Crisp bite to finish. Tropical beer cocktail in a glass.

Mouth - smooth and nicely carbonated. Creamy where needed

Overall - the first few I had I didn't get it. Tonight everything has clicked. Typical pine, grapefruit IPA with superb tropical flavours, a beautiful appearance and a nose I could spend all day with. Wonderful stuff

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottle poured into a Magic Hat Pils glass. Best by stamp of April/May.

Appearance- Pours a hazy orange/yellow. Light but steady carbonation. Head on this particular glass is light due to a slow gentle pour, only about one finger. However, an aggressive pour will produce a massive thick head that will be as big as you want it, and will linger throughout the whole glass. Lacing is heavy, especially on an aggressive pour, leaving a nice ring after every sip.

Smell- Smell is well noted in previous reviews. It's a juicy tart citrus, like a freshly halved grapefruit. dank citrus hops. it's a smell you notice right after popping the top, and it's truly adds to to overall enjoyability of this beer.

Taste- Again, on the citrus side of IPA's. It's a strong, fresh taste, juicy fresh citrus that blends very well with the overall smell. the finish is a bitter bite that you would expect from a good IPA. It's bitter, but not overpowering by any means. satisfyingly bitter.

Mouthfeel- very smooth carbonation that flows effortlessly over the tongue. it's got a nice thick IPA feel, that gives the feeling of drinking a beer of substance. I'm also gifted to a feeling of overall juiciness, but then again that may just be my mouth watering.

Drink- Around beer #3 the palette is pretty beat up. The bitterness does linger with a lemon juiciness to smooth it out. 7.5% ABV leaves a beer you can still function well after 2, but around the 3-6 mark you are starting to get a bit sloppy. However, all of the positive elements of this beer make it extremely drinkable. so drinkable in fact, it's a beer you will crave.

In closing, I love this beer. If I had to drink one beer only for the rest of my life, Ithaca Flower Power IPA would be near the top of the list. I'm glad it's a New York State brew, thus giving me regular access. Please try it, and enjoy

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

I am in a meadow. The grass grows wildly, rising up past my knee, and I do not recall how I arrived here. I only know that I am looking for something. Someone?

There are flowers. Flowers everywhere. White, red, gold. The air is thick with their scent. To breathe is a heady, wonderful thing.

It's a girl, I'm seeking. In the distance, a cherry tree. She must be sitting there.

Then I lower the glass, and it's all gone.

This is a delightful beer with LOADS of hop scent, they must have just dryhopped with all the flowers they had, but it works--the malt balances it out pleasantly. Not very bitter. There's a bunch of alcohol in there but you'll be too focused on the flowers, and taking the next sip. To see if you can find her this time.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

I can thank Founder26 once again for this first try. What a spectacular brew! Caught me off guard since I thought this might be a Pale Ale.
This pours a nice typical amber color for an IPA. Kinda Cloudy and a bit of sediment involved, but nice appearance none the less.
Smell: The smell? OMG it's spectacular! Pine and citrus, I love it! I gave it a 5 because you can't really get any better.
Taste is a bit like the smell and hits you hard. Wonderful! Pine and citrus so wonderfully balanced. Nice medium to strong bitterness is perfect for an IPA.
Carbonation is medium to strong on this one as well which I love.
Overall, I loved this beer and wish it was distributed in my area. If it was, I would buy this very often!

4.81/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Ithaca (Update) is Gorge (ous)

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Reviewed on 14 November 2010.

Let sit out of fridge to warm up. Poured into Sam Adams Summer Ale glass, color is a cloudy deep apple-juice gold, poured gently with a foamy 3-finger head, beautiful spongy retention, average lacing. Aroma hops are wonderful, consisting of grapefruit, pineapple, fresh pine, and some light floral character. The aroma is so fresh, as if hops have been steeping in the beer immediately prior to drinking. Taste is lightly citrus, with fresh hops character, pine and tropical fruit. The bitterness is so intense at first, but disappears seconds after consumption. Very awesome.

Halfway down the glass, there is still 1-finger of head, and the lacing now sticks completely to the side of the glass. I'm glad I waited to judge the appearance. The bitterness gets heavier on the tongue towards the bottom, yet not overwhelming at all, and the hop taste seems to get fresher. I'm guessing cascade or citra hops. Finishing the last sip, there is lacing that is now drying on the glass. Beautiful, delicious beer for the price. I would allow this to represent the East Coast for IPAs.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had this beer last year when visiting family back home in Utica, recently was able to get more in a trade, so I thought I would review. Bottle date 2-11-13, so pretty fresh! Wow! Right away when I started pouring this golden nectar the aroma of fresh preserves assaults my nose, is it peach? is it strawberries? is it pineapple? It's such a complex nose it could be all three! The taste is exactly how a well done IPA should taste in my book, 2Hearted comes to mind. Overall a superb brew, pick some up, you will not be disappointed...

Nice Amberish Honey Color

Fruity smell

Great blend of hops, very citrusy and fruity, almost floral type flavoring (Hence the name), very crisp taste

Average mouthfeel, smooth, not to thick, not to light

This is by far one of my favorite IPA's. I would by this by the case if it was more availible in my area

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company