Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.
Reviews: 1,235 | Hads: 4,960
4.49/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Orange in color. Hazy. About a finger worth of off white head that lingers. Left lace marks on the glass

Aroma: Smells like the forest. Tons of pine and a little bit of orange.

Taste: Taste backs up the aroma. Tons of pine flavor that finishes with orange. Hard to detect any sweetness in it, but can taste a little bit of bready flavor in it.

Mouthfeel: Coats the mouth nicely. Full bodied and almost "chewable".

Drinkability: Great example of a "piney" IPA. I would buy it again, but would most likely drink this with food, something BBQ'd or spicy. Alone, it ruins my pallet in a good way, I wouldn't be able to taste much after 2 beers. (657 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

A: hazy orange amber with fine white head

S: unmistakeable American hops full of citrus/grapefruit but powerful and floral as well. The name of this beer and the aroma are just a perfect match.

T: although dominated by hops there is more to the aroma and flavor and less of a bitterness than you might expect in such a well hopped IPA. The result is a suprising tilt to the balance toward something aromatic, floral, and spicy and away from a tongue lashing and lingering bitterness. The bitterness is clean and restrained and beautifully in balance.

M: medium bodied, well carbonated and lively

O: this is just a gorgeous beer and despite the many other IPAs I've had, this perfectly named beer reinvented the style for me and showed me something brand new and fresh. I really can't get enough Flower Power! (812 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured on tap into a pint glass.

a: Orangey brown with a small amount of off-white head and a bit of lacing.

s + t: Citrus and pine, with a malty sweetness. Overall not bad, though it left a mildly unpleasant dryness on the back of my tongue.

m: Nothing special.

d: The tongue dryness thing turned me away from having more than one. (336 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

A welcomed extra from Mr. stearns16. Quite unexpected, heard a lot about this one, thanks! Imbibed 11/19/11 - from notes.

Pours a bright orange into my imperial pint. 1 inch of soapy white head sits atop the brew. Quickly disappeared leaving an abstract lacing around. Aroma is all hops with citrus sprinkled in every now & then. Taste begins with a lemon-y bitterness and finishes the same. Not too impressed overall. Mouthfeel is mediocre, has medium carbonation. 7.5% is well hidden though, and I could see myself drinking a couple given I had a few. Slightly above average beer, but would opt for a local WI brew over the Flower Power. (640 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Hands down one of the best American IPA's I have ever tasted, I could drink this beer with any meal it sets good on the taste palate, the fruitiness is remarkable and reminds me of a nice summer day out at the lake fishing with friends, I recommend this beer to any beer lover, and believe me it won't disappoint cheers to all my fellow IPA lovers....

A- Very retro, very entertaining it has a look of "I can't wait to taste that", and when you pour in into a glass the carmel color is so inviting and so smooth with a rich foam!

S- Smell's of a fresh batch of your favorite citrus fruit's, and believe me it won't disappoint!

T- The taste is amazing, it set's on your taste buds and reminds you why an IPA is an IPA, not to bitter just the right amount of flavor that will send you in to a whirl wind of pleasure, I could even go and say it is in my top 5 IPA's I have ever tasted.

MF- One word "WOW", it coats the mouth and rushes in the flavor's of citrus that is simply amazing, hook, line, sinker this one is a winner in my book, and I was critical about giving it a 5 cause I am new to the site, but when you taste it you will agree, hands down the bomb as they would say from around the way!

D- Satisfying and never will make you say I think I want something else, once you drink this beer it will be the only beer you will want to drink for the rest of the evening, no matter the surrounding's, bar, campfire, beach, ect. I mean anywhere and on the last note, thank you Ithaca for one of the best IPA's I have ever tasted! (1,536 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a dark golden color with ruby red red highlights. Has a 2 finger white head with very little lacing. Big aromas of grapefruit in the nose with hops jumping out of the glass. Very nicely balanced, with a hop bitterness that is not too overwhelming, that starts strong in the front and finishes a little easier. Dry taste, with little caramel notes. Bitter after taste. Very drinkable IPA, definitely a strong candidate for one to keep in the fridge on a regular basis. (473 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

UPDATE: I got a fresh bottle today and it completely changed my mind about this beer. The grapefruit and mango flavors are completely off the charts. The bitterness is spot on and the malt balance borders on perfection. I've adjusted my scores to reflect the fresh bottle but let the original review be a warning to those who are thinking about picking up a bottle or two that is past its prime.

Quick Story- I've been wnating to try this for some tim enow but never really got around to it. This weekend I packed the family int he car and took a trip to see my parents. On the way, I stopped to pick up a six pack when I saw Flower Power. I did not see a brewed on date so I consulted the clerk and was assured it was fresh. After tasting the beer, I know it wasn't fresh but unfortunately, thats all I have to go off of.

Appearance: Very nice white head rises above a beautiful copper body. Perfect for the style.

Smell: Yikes! Nothing but malt and sugar. The slightest hint of bittering hops. I was expecting some big citrus flavors with floral and earthy hops mixed in for good measure. Nothing.

Taste: Follows the nose. No hops up front, just a strong caramel malt with some cloying sweetness. The aftertaste is quite bitter, more in line with a barleywine. Honestly as a barleywine this would work better. Add some roasted malt and you'd be in good shape.

Mouthfeel: Low carb and heavy body. The unbalanced bitterness is kind of tough.

I plan to give this beer another shot but for the time being, this is all I have. (1,530 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Pale caramel color, nothing really to write home about.

S: Fantastic hop profile on the nose. Floral, piney, spicey and sweet - really pretty, but with a bite.

T: A little too heavy on the carbonation to get a good sense of the flavor profile on the initial attack, causing the intense bitterness of the back end to dominate. That said, there are also some really light, feathery characteristics following through on the nose. Looong finish on this one.

M: Heavy carbonation, not particularly resiny for an IPA, this is an extremely crisp beer.

D: If you're up for the bitterness, this one is crisp and light enough to session (though at 8% that might not be the best idea). (681 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a bottle into an Ithaca Pint glass straight from the source.

Appearance: Pours a deep golden color. Not as Amber colored as many IPA's. 1 finger sudsy head that sticks around for a minute or two. T

Smell: Grapefruits and floral scents are dominant. Not as piney as a lot of IPAs.

Taste: Grapefruits again. Classic taste for an IPA. If you arent an IPA lover, you may still like this beer. It's got a strong malt character. If you do like IPA's, then you'll likely LOVE this beer. Classic bittersweet IPA flavor.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, but it still goes down smooth. I'd say it's light bodied for the style. Refreshing is what I think of when I gulp this.

Drinkability: No question about it, even at 8% I'd down a few of these no problem. There is no trace of the alcohol in the taste and that for me is a + to drinkability when it comes to IPAs.

Overall: I had it first at the brewery in Ithaca. I loved it then, and I can honestly say it is just as good from the bottle. Really wish this was available in TX. (1,024 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

A- Peachy orange with a one finger head; light lacing

S- Bright, mango/apricot/grapefruit aromas - not really any pine or grassiness.

T- Mellow, citrus flavor balanced by cascade hops which provide sufficient bittering.

M- Light mouthfeel and nice carbonation. Not quite as dry and sticky with hops as I sometime like, but very refreshing. A summertime IPA if such a thing exists, which it now does because I just invented it. Boom.

D- Very drinkable and low enough ABV that this would make a decent session IPA

This is the first Ithaca offering that I have tried and I am impressed! (588 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this twice with mixed experiences. The first time I had it after hearing so much about it I was highly disappointed as it seemed the malts were dominate and nothing truly stood out. The second time I had it was the complete opposite with the hops stepping forward and a more balanced beer. I'm going to attribute my first experience to not having had tasted a fresh bottle and something that was sitting around for a while. So my review is based on the second tasting.

Appearance: Pores a nice golden, orangey color with some light carbonation present ending with a 1 finger head.

Smell: Now here is what truly stands out about this beer. It might just be t he most pleasant smelling IPA I've ever had. The nose is extremely floral. Smells like fresh cut flowers, a dandelion type smell to it, with some hops and citrus fruits .

Taste: A nice hop forward taste that matches the smell, a very floral tasting beer but you definitely get more of the citrus in the taste than in the smell. Some grapefruit and hints of tropical fruits.

Mouthfeel: A creamy, smooth feel that coats the palate leaving a nice blend of the flavors hanging around a bit but doesn't destroy the palate. Very balanced.

Overall: I was extremely pleased the second time I tasted this, fresh was a beautifully blended brew with an AMAZING smell. The nose is the best part, and that's not a bad thing either. I rated it a little lower only because of my first experience. I will re-rate this when I get my hands on another taste. (1,510 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Great local India Pale Ale, should be a staple for all New York beer drinkers. Bitter in the right ways, viscous, well hidden 7.5% Alcohol By Volume. This is not a super premium drink, but a great, cheap go-to choice for IPA drinkers in the area. Folks at Ithaca do good work. Would want one of these outside on a hot day. (322 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Flower Power pours a medium orange copper. There's a fluffy white head, with great retention and lacing.

The aroma is dominated by hops, as you'd expect. Citrus and grapefruit, mostly, with a touch of malty sweetness.

The taste follows the aroma. There's that slight sweetness that balances out an incredible hop flavor of citrus and grapefruit. There's a nice bitterness that hides the 7.50% ABV really well.

Mouthfeel is nice and light, with a slight alcoholic presence. Smooth with a touch of bitterness that lingers for a little.

This West-Coast style IPA has flown under the radar for too long. Exemplifying much of what an IPA should be, it's time Flower Power gets the recognition it deserves. (704 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle to tulip

Pours glowing orange with 2 fingers worth of head. The lacing on flower power is great.

Smells like "Five Alive". Anyone remember that stuff? Used to love that junk. Smell also reminds me of my grandmothers grapefruits sprinkled with sugar. This stuff smells phenomenal.

Tastes even better than it smells. I'm getting "Five Alive" with some nice hop bitterness. Full range of citrus flavors with a nice amount of hop punch. The overall taste of this beer is incredible.

Mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is moderate.

This is one of my favorite IPA's. It has an amazing flavor that keeps me drinking without pause. Ive seen some unfavorable reviews lately and wonder how fresh those BA's servings were. If you see this stuff get it and then tell me where you got it cuz my source just ran out!!! (828 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this poured on tap at Paddy's Irish Pub, in Springfield, MA. Though very hoppy, it finishes smooth. It has a delicate feel on the palate, and the aromas are on par with what one would expect from an IPA. Worthy of drinking again in my book. (247 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Although, I am not a great IPA drinker, this one is the wine drinkers delight, with almost a aroma of Califonian style sauvignon blanc coming at you. The hops were well done and enjoyable tasting instead of just hopping for the sake of hopping, I'm told the alcohol is high in this but it doesn't show in the taste profile. I'm no hippie but I gave this one the peace sign. (373 characters)

Nothing too exciting about this beer. Nothing bad about it either. I could easily drink a few of these.

Nice golden coppery color with a nice head. Nothing too big. Smells big of citrus and less of pine. Tastes nice. Very smooth. Not over the top like some of the super hoppy beers, but not very sweet like the Dreadknaught or Hopslam either. Very light feeling beer in my mouth, but I could definitely drink several of these. I probably wouldn't search this beer out, but might buy it on a whim if the mood hit me in the store. I'd love to try it on tap. (557 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Golden honey in color with a solid two finger head that subsides but a decent head remains throughout the beverage leaving a trail of nice lace along the glass.

S: Not my favorite beer aroma, its decent though. The alcohol is very present in the nose, which I don't get in the taste. The maltiness of the beer is very present in the smell which I like.

T: At first I wasn't sure about this beer, but as I kept drinking it grew on me. The bitterness hits you, but its not to strong and then the aftertaste comes and it has a very nice fruitiness to it. Which I like more and more as I continue to sip. Then the bitterness comes back and its just enough bite to make me crave for more.

M: A nice smooth body to it and its a very well carbonated beer.

D: Nice and drinkable could swig a few of these before I feel em. (821 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Golden Yellow Appearance Revealed, Carefully poured small head of foam, just a 1/4" thick, which dissipated in less than 30 seconds, and left almost no lacing on the sides of the small 8oz heavy crystal mug employed. Hazy!

Smell is grapefruit right up front. Upon opening the cap, a greeting of pine wafted this golden promise of good IPA.

Light, crisp, refreshing, lemon peel, birch bark, grass, combine with the hops overpowering the malt in that way a hop head like me desires.

Great carbonation attained for quick drinking. Last sips were flat, yet not a disappointment either. Good on the way down to flat, in that the flavors opened up as it warmed, with a bountiful warm hoppy yield.

Overall this ha got to be one of the finest sessionable IPAs I have ever had. It's winter now as the review goes, in a warm home. This reminds me of summer. (851 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light amber color with a decent head and nice lacing.

I get mostly citrus followed by some earthy hop aroma.

This is one of the most drinkable IPA's I've ever had. It's got big hops, a nice malt counterpoint, a fruity complexity and just a touch of alcohol heat.

Medium carbonation and a nice dry finish.

Unlike some IPA's this beer leaves you wanting more. It has a nice hop profile without being overly bitter. It might be the best "session" IPA's out there. Definitely recommend this brew. (507 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to Hotmanflab666 for the 12 oz bottle.

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a deep hazy gold color with nice white head. Beer retains head very well.

Aroma: Hops are up front but this one doesnt have much of a citrus nose, it is more towards the floral aroma. I suppose thats where the flower power name came from :)

Taste: Yep definately floral with a lingering bitterness, this beer is pushing the boundaries of IPA towards double IPA. Very good beer.

Mouthfeel: Carbpnated just right and leaves neither a dryness nor lingering sweetness on my tongue. Again, very well done.

Overall: Yep, I would happily serve this to any of my friends. Excellent beer. (677 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Got this bottle from a trade with TheSevenDuffs. Much appreciated!

Poured from bottle into my pint glass.

A- Golden Amber with about a finger and a half of frothy foam. Decent lacing. The foam quickly subsides into a thin layer that remains for a long time.

S- Really nice. Nice piney hops. Definitely some citrus. A really nice combination. Nothing is overpowering, just pleasant.

T- Pine hops are the first flavour to hit my taste buds. The Citrus comes out second, with some floral tastes. Then there is a sweet malty taste. Then after swallowing, the pine lingers.

M- Really good mouth feel. Full and smooth. Loss of Carbonation was a bit too fast.

D- Excellent. I could drink a ton of this. Sadly, I only have the one bottle. (741 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes.
A: Yellow with white pillowy head.
S: Citrus hop oils, rinds of grapefruit/oranges
T: Grapefruit rind juice-a total citrus bomb. I really enjoyed that the bitterness in this one comes from citrus as opposed to pine/grass. The bitterness does linger, but doesn't destroy your palette. Reminds me of an alcoholic version of the juice I had the first time I juiced 3 whole grapefruits.
M: Full, well carbonated.
O: I have yet to find an available IPA in my area of NY that is on par with this one. Have already had a six pack of this and a growler. Can't wait to try this at the brewery or a bottle that is less than a week old as I hear it enhances the drinking experience. (695 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -20.4%

Had one on tap at Cambridge Common.

Hazy copper orange color. Floral (duh) aroma with some hints of pine. Really hits the front of the tongue, kind of heavy mouthfeel. Really not that drinkable due to the hops being a bit over done. Could do with a tiny bit less bittering hop IMO. Not a bad beer, just nothing too special. (324 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

WOW! This beer is crazy good. When I got it from the Anderson's, I thought "another wanna be IPA". Man Was I wrong.

I am blown away by the Floral, Piney, AND citrusy aromas With a great hop bitterness, it is well balances in the malt arena. This is right up there with Pliny IMO. (281 characters)

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company