Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.
Reviews: 1,220 | Hads: 4,915
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this twice with mixed experiences. The first time I had it after hearing so much about it I was highly disappointed as it seemed the malts were dominate and nothing truly stood out. The second time I had it was the complete opposite with the hops stepping forward and a more balanced beer. I'm going to attribute my first experience to not having had tasted a fresh bottle and something that was sitting around for a while. So my review is based on the second tasting.

Appearance: Pores a nice golden, orangey color with some light carbonation present ending with a 1 finger head.

Smell: Now here is what truly stands out about this beer. It might just be t he most pleasant smelling IPA I've ever had. The nose is extremely floral. Smells like fresh cut flowers, a dandelion type smell to it, with some hops and citrus fruits .

Taste: A nice hop forward taste that matches the smell, a very floral tasting beer but you definitely get more of the citrus in the taste than in the smell. Some grapefruit and hints of tropical fruits.

Mouthfeel: A creamy, smooth feel that coats the palate leaving a nice blend of the flavors hanging around a bit but doesn't destroy the palate. Very balanced.

Overall: I was extremely pleased the second time I tasted this, fresh was a beautifully blended brew with an AMAZING smell. The nose is the best part, and that's not a bad thing either. I rated it a little lower only because of my first experience. I will re-rate this when I get my hands on another taste. (1,510 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Great local India Pale Ale, should be a staple for all New York beer drinkers. Bitter in the right ways, viscous, well hidden 7.5% Alcohol By Volume. This is not a super premium drink, but a great, cheap go-to choice for IPA drinkers in the area. Folks at Ithaca do good work. Would want one of these outside on a hot day. (322 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Flower Power pours a medium orange copper. There's a fluffy white head, with great retention and lacing.

The aroma is dominated by hops, as you'd expect. Citrus and grapefruit, mostly, with a touch of malty sweetness.

The taste follows the aroma. There's that slight sweetness that balances out an incredible hop flavor of citrus and grapefruit. There's a nice bitterness that hides the 7.50% ABV really well.

Mouthfeel is nice and light, with a slight alcoholic presence. Smooth with a touch of bitterness that lingers for a little.

This West-Coast style IPA has flown under the radar for too long. Exemplifying much of what an IPA should be, it's time Flower Power gets the recognition it deserves. (704 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle to tulip

Pours glowing orange with 2 fingers worth of head. The lacing on flower power is great.

Smells like "Five Alive". Anyone remember that stuff? Used to love that junk. Smell also reminds me of my grandmothers grapefruits sprinkled with sugar. This stuff smells phenomenal.

Tastes even better than it smells. I'm getting "Five Alive" with some nice hop bitterness. Full range of citrus flavors with a nice amount of hop punch. The overall taste of this beer is incredible.

Mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is moderate.

This is one of my favorite IPA's. It has an amazing flavor that keeps me drinking without pause. Ive seen some unfavorable reviews lately and wonder how fresh those BA's servings were. If you see this stuff get it and then tell me where you got it cuz my source just ran out!!! (828 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Although, I am not a great IPA drinker, this one is the wine drinkers delight, with almost a aroma of Califonian style sauvignon blanc coming at you. The hops were well done and enjoyable tasting instead of just hopping for the sake of hopping, I'm told the alcohol is high in this but it doesn't show in the taste profile. I'm no hippie but I gave this one the peace sign. (373 characters)

Nothing too exciting about this beer. Nothing bad about it either. I could easily drink a few of these.

Nice golden coppery color with a nice head. Nothing too big. Smells big of citrus and less of pine. Tastes nice. Very smooth. Not over the top like some of the super hoppy beers, but not very sweet like the Dreadknaught or Hopslam either. Very light feeling beer in my mouth, but I could definitely drink several of these. I probably wouldn't search this beer out, but might buy it on a whim if the mood hit me in the store. I'd love to try it on tap. (557 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Golden honey in color with a solid two finger head that subsides but a decent head remains throughout the beverage leaving a trail of nice lace along the glass.

S: Not my favorite beer aroma, its decent though. The alcohol is very present in the nose, which I don't get in the taste. The maltiness of the beer is very present in the smell which I like.

T: At first I wasn't sure about this beer, but as I kept drinking it grew on me. The bitterness hits you, but its not to strong and then the aftertaste comes and it has a very nice fruitiness to it. Which I like more and more as I continue to sip. Then the bitterness comes back and its just enough bite to make me crave for more.

M: A nice smooth body to it and its a very well carbonated beer.

D: Nice and drinkable could swig a few of these before I feel em. (821 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Golden Yellow Appearance Revealed, Carefully poured small head of foam, just a 1/4" thick, which dissipated in less than 30 seconds, and left almost no lacing on the sides of the small 8oz heavy crystal mug employed. Hazy!

Smell is grapefruit right up front. Upon opening the cap, a greeting of pine wafted this golden promise of good IPA.

Light, crisp, refreshing, lemon peel, birch bark, grass, combine with the hops overpowering the malt in that way a hop head like me desires.

Great carbonation attained for quick drinking. Last sips were flat, yet not a disappointment either. Good on the way down to flat, in that the flavors opened up as it warmed, with a bountiful warm hoppy yield.

Overall this ha got to be one of the finest sessionable IPAs I have ever had. It's winter now as the review goes, in a warm home. This reminds me of summer. (851 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light amber color with a decent head and nice lacing.

I get mostly citrus followed by some earthy hop aroma.

This is one of the most drinkable IPA's I've ever had. It's got big hops, a nice malt counterpoint, a fruity complexity and just a touch of alcohol heat.

Medium carbonation and a nice dry finish.

Unlike some IPA's this beer leaves you wanting more. It has a nice hop profile without being overly bitter. It might be the best "session" IPA's out there. Definitely recommend this brew. (507 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to Hotmanflab666 for the 12 oz bottle.

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a deep hazy gold color with nice white head. Beer retains head very well.

Aroma: Hops are up front but this one doesnt have much of a citrus nose, it is more towards the floral aroma. I suppose thats where the flower power name came from :)

Taste: Yep definately floral with a lingering bitterness, this beer is pushing the boundaries of IPA towards double IPA. Very good beer.

Mouthfeel: Carbpnated just right and leaves neither a dryness nor lingering sweetness on my tongue. Again, very well done.

Overall: Yep, I would happily serve this to any of my friends. Excellent beer. (677 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Got this bottle from a trade with TheSevenDuffs. Much appreciated!

Poured from bottle into my pint glass.

A- Golden Amber with about a finger and a half of frothy foam. Decent lacing. The foam quickly subsides into a thin layer that remains for a long time.

S- Really nice. Nice piney hops. Definitely some citrus. A really nice combination. Nothing is overpowering, just pleasant.

T- Pine hops are the first flavour to hit my taste buds. The Citrus comes out second, with some floral tastes. Then there is a sweet malty taste. Then after swallowing, the pine lingers.

M- Really good mouth feel. Full and smooth. Loss of Carbonation was a bit too fast.

D- Excellent. I could drink a ton of this. Sadly, I only have the one bottle. (741 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes.
A: Yellow with white pillowy head.
S: Citrus hop oils, rinds of grapefruit/oranges
T: Grapefruit rind juice-a total citrus bomb. I really enjoyed that the bitterness in this one comes from citrus as opposed to pine/grass. The bitterness does linger, but doesn't destroy your palette. Reminds me of an alcoholic version of the juice I had the first time I juiced 3 whole grapefruits.
M: Full, well carbonated.
O: I have yet to find an available IPA in my area of NY that is on par with this one. Have already had a six pack of this and a growler. Can't wait to try this at the brewery or a bottle that is less than a week old as I hear it enhances the drinking experience. (695 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -20.4%

Had one on tap at Cambridge Common.

Hazy copper orange color. Floral (duh) aroma with some hints of pine. Really hits the front of the tongue, kind of heavy mouthfeel. Really not that drinkable due to the hops being a bit over done. Could do with a tiny bit less bittering hop IMO. Not a bad beer, just nothing too special. (324 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

WOW! This beer is crazy good. When I got it from the Anderson's, I thought "another wanna be IPA". Man Was I wrong.

I am blown away by the Floral, Piney, AND citrusy aromas With a great hop bitterness, it is well balances in the malt arena. This is right up there with Pliny IMO. (281 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Mild haze, golden-amber color. Very nice nearly two-finger soft, white head, with excellent retention. Thick bubbles left nice lacing on the glass.

S - Floral aroma leads to immediate fruitiness (apricot for sure). Slight pine. Makes me immediately want to take a big, juicy bite.

T - Apricot to start, slight pineapple, finishing with mild hop bitterness. The hops are clearly there, but they only complement the fruit sweetness. They do not overpower like many other big IPA's.

M - lightly carbonated. cool, but not too cold. After each sip, my mouth wants more.

D - This is a very drinkable beer and if not for the 7.5% ABV could be a wonderful session beer. What makes it fantastic also makes it dangerous.

This is now one of my favorite IPA's. Another great beer from Ithaca! (789 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +12.7%

Got this in a trade with alpinebryant, thanks man!

Poured into a SA perfect pint, had a nice orange hazy color with a small white head. Looks nice.

Smell is quite nice, sweet citrus hops and sugary malts in a harmonious combination. Makes my mouth water and i just hope the flavor can live up to the smell.

Well, it does! Strong bitter hops bite at the start with a sweet malt finish(but not to sweet). Aftertaste reminds me of granny smith apples, dry and tangy.

I really wish i could get this stuff on a regular basis. It would be my go-to IPA hands down. (564 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a nice deep amber color with a decent head. The hop aroma is pungent and tasty smelling of citrus. I love hops and it is in each mouthful from start to finish and tickles my taste buds. Nice crisp mouthfeel without being chewy at all. One of my current favorite IPAs and a credit to the good folks at Ithaca Brewing. Also, thank you to Olivers for keeping this available for growler fills for the last month. (414 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- settles into a nice thin head against a golren- haze of a body. Mild lacing.

S-spring. A bouquet of mid-season flora with a hint of lemon and tangerine. Immense. Mild grapefruit in the background with a definite sense of citra hops.

T- the taste hits on that same citrus vibe with some herbal notes... much like a mix between lemongrass and mint. Coriander and rosemary subside behind a lush flow of cascades.

M- bright with good carbonation.

O- a nice mix of citrus and hops... not stunning, but s great vibe for the price. Very spring, very supported. (561 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

So juicy and resinous. Creamy body and brisk carbonation make for a super and drinkable mouthfeel. Floral and bright with an aggressive bitterness. Finish is slick and juicy yet dry. Definitely love this beer! (209 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -16.8%

A - An orange-red hue. Small white head with great lacing that stays with you all the way.

S - very bready, then the sweet smell of hops hit you. definitely an English IPA.

T - A full-hopped flavor that's a little subdued. There's a ton on English malts and yeast that you taste near the end.

M - Relatively thin and watery. Doesn't linger on the palate. Not a bad thing.

D - This is very high. I could easily have a six pack of it, but the english aftertaste is a little offputting.

A standard IPA that is worth a try of course. Cheers! (542 characters)

The first time I tried this beer it was to much for me to like. I have since grown to love IPA's and this one deserves to be in the top 5 for anyone that loves to drink IPA's. It has a great smell of flowers and fruits. It really has a strong hoppy taste to it and goes toward the border of overkill but stops short of it. It does have a good balance in its flavor and is easy to drink. I would suggest not to try this one if you are just starting to drink IPA's. (463 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a decent head that retains fairly well. Some lacing noted
Smells very floral, fruity, sweet smelling...very pleasant.
Not much up front in the taste. Biting bitterness, slightly dry finish. Not much depth at all. I was expecting much more from this based on the great aroma of this brew.
Mouthfeel is very watered down. It's certainly drinkable but I'd reach out for a plethora of other IPA's way before this one. Not bad, but not great either. (484 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Honestly best available IPA in NJ! Greenflash was but either production or distribution problems have held it back!

If you like the US IPA than get what you can! Do not understand why Ithaca's best seller is Apricot Wheat when this is part of their line up! (258 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a bottle with my cuz Libby, good times babe!

A- Goldenly tarnish of a brew with two fingers of head, the carbonation seems to have larger bubbles in its off white foam. Not much lacing on the walls of the mug however little there is seems to be hanging out for a bit.

S- Sweet citrus, like ruby red grapefruit with powdered sugar on top of it or... maybe...., honey. But the over wellming smell here is the sticky pine needleness that lends its self to hoppyness.

T- Crisp and very refreshing, the hops are most definitely prevalent here. It chomps, with hints of flowers, rose water would be a great example. Finish's just as it started with one big difference, it finish's dry.

M- It has a nice creaminess to it that doesn't back down, not even at the end. I am enjoying chewing through the flowers in this beer.

D- I would take it rather then leave it. Great price point two bucks during happy hour, sweet! (918 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Golden color that’s a bit foggy, but complimented with a nice foamy head. I thought it had a nice fruity aroma. Not a big hop taste – pretty full and creamy. A finish that’s more on the bitter side. Very easy to drink. Some people may not like it because it is a little different and not what you would expect from an IPA, but overall I thought it was a nice beer. (367 characters)

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company