Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flower Power India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Joelboy, Jul 07, 2013

akang, Jul 07, 2013

cozmo, Jul 07, 2013

jburd19, Jul 07, 2013

pathman, Jul 06, 2013

Lucoli, Jul 05, 2013
3.91/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle with "Ithaca" in bold yellowish letters at the top and the name of the beer in 1960's psychedelic letters below that. Flanking the name are two big hop vines. The borders of the label is where you'll find the Government warning and a notched best before month system. Nothing was notched so I'm in the blind on knowing if this beer is past it's expiration date.

I poured this Flower Power into a Peg's Cantina Snifter. Coming out of the bottle, I thought this beer was a solid orange color. When I held it up to the light, I saw this beer's true color. It was actually a bright and hazy lemon yellow with a subtle gold highlight here and there. On top was a thin layer of cotton white foam. It was so small that it would be too hard to measure it. This thin layer didn't have any staying power. It was gone in a flash and it only managed to leave behind a faint string of rings along the side.

After getting a whiff of this beer, I now know why they call this beer "Flower Power." The aroma was mostly lightly bitter floral hops with a side of floral notes. There was also some minor citrus notes and a faint whiff of toasted biscuit at the end. That's all folks!

The taste was crispy and lightly bitter. It really didn't have an in your face bitterness. Kicking off the taste was the lightly bitter floral hops. Toward the end of the floral hop taste, is where my tastebuds happened upon some minor citrus notes. I was able to pick out a hint of grapefruit and a pinch of lemon. At the end of the taste, I found a tiny speck of toasted biscuits. Now I know why they didn't call this beer "Citrus Power." It was all about the floral hops.

This was a light to medium bodied American IPA with a good amount of carbonation and subtle crispy floral hop aftertaste. The aftertaste was just the floral hops. No more, no less. The floral hops stuck around for a few seconds before it way of the 1960s.

World Class beer? Not in my book. Maybe I need a fresher bottle or to try this beer on tap to think World Class. Again, my bottle wasn't notched so I'm not sure how old this beer is. It was a good beer. I'll give them that. It did show promise of being something better. As of right now, I'm not a Flower Child who enjoys Flower Power on a regular basis.

AltBock, Jul 04, 2013

2GOOFY, Jul 04, 2013

DrunkinYogi, Jul 04, 2013

JakeEsterly, Jul 04, 2013
3.98/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Golden-yellow, very clear. 1.5 fingers of white head.

Smell: Sweet tropical mango. Lots (and lots) of pineapple. Bitter hops / pine resin. This smells delicious.

Taste: Bitter up front, followed by pineapple/mango flavor. Aftertaste has some malt sweetness but mostly consists of pretty substantial hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium-thick mouthfeel, a bit syrupy. Kind of a bit much, for me.

Overall: Great, but not amazing. Overall just a bit too bitter and unbalanced for me.

ChrisKayler, Jul 04, 2013

4.75/5  rDev +12%

mborden, Jul 02, 2013

frankthetank86, Jul 02, 2013
4.46/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a glass chalice.

Bright orange amber color, and hazy with a large, white head, two fingers worth. Nose is super tropical with big citrus aromas – grapefruit, orange and lemon, but mostly grapefruit. There’s a little bit of grassy hops as well. The taste is magical. Bright tropical fruits are cut with just the right amount of bitterness for a dry and fresh aftertaste. Lots of grapefruit and a mix of sweeter fruits that I can’t really identify. The mouthfeel is amazing…it’s one of the smoothest IPAs I’ve had, even as it’s packing a big punch at 7.5%. There’s a good amount of lacing left on the glass as I finish and the head is retained pretty well. This is my new favorite IPA that’s readily available.

greenmtn1111, Jul 02, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Casey3236 for getting this to me in a trade. I'll be enjoying this over the next week or week and a half.

Great yellow gold color with a fairly thick white head. Aroma is fantastic. I get a ton of earthiness from this beer; along with a ton of hops. Lacing is holding up fairly well. Taste is very nice as well. A nice dryness I don't expect from IPAs, but is enjoyable. The hop profile is clean and bright. Still loving the earthiness; it reminds me of the hills of Tennessee. Mouthfeel is slightly different, but like I said, the dryness is enjoyable. I find this IPA to be better suited for late Fall or early Spring, when it's a bit colder outside.

mverity, Jul 01, 2013