Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flower Power India Pale Ale Alström Bros

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Semi clear amber with a finger of white soapy head that reduces to nothing in about a minute, plenty of carbonation, average lacing.

Aroma is on the malty side with some dank hops, touch of apricot & herbs.

Taste is slight improvement, the hops fight for the spotlight with the malty, butterscotchy base, and win out just slightly.Ends up finishing dry after coating the palate for a brief spell.

Mouthfeel is medium,brisk carbonation.

Overall, I wish that the dry hopped Flower Power had the same level of carbonation as this bottle did. I found the dry hopped version to be superior in aroma and flavor, but lacked the zippy carbonation. I was expecting more from this one, however it is probably one of the best examples of a balanced IPA, which is popular with many, but not my bag as I want the hops squarely in my face with the malt playing only a supportive role.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

4.75/5  rDev +12%

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've been a fan of this one for a while, but have recently found myself in amsterdam NY for work where I've been able to get my hands on just-brewed Flower Power which has put this one in my upper echelons of IPA's. To me, it's a good thing when time and temperature have adverse affects on an IPA. The variety of flavors, and collective "lightness" of the results makes the freshness all the more important. There's no monster hop or malt to hide any imperfections.

Color is a little light, and masks the burst of flavor that you are in for. The nose is a little more of an indication...the flowers, citrusey hops, are practically tasted right then. Carbonation is a little high, i definitely recommend that you pour this one in a glass and give it a few minutes to "air out" a bit, but sometimes my thirst gets the best of me.

3.69/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my Leinenkugel's pint glass. Pours a clear, light golden color with a finger and a half of foamy head that dissipates slowly into a cap. Light carbonation visible and mild lacing is left behind. Aroma is light and simple, but not offensive. Light pine is there, even lighter toasty malts in the background. These flavors are much more bold once I sipped it. Strong piney hops, but not overbearing, which I find to be a mistake other breweries tend to make. Light toasty malt background again there, and some zesty lemon is detected with the bitterness once gulped. Not a light beer, but I can't put the medium bodied beer label on it.

Overall: I think pretty highly of this one, but it's not a can't miss beer. This is just another IPA that leads me to believe I should invest in a tulip glass, but I can think of other piney IPAs that don't make me think this.

4.58/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a stemmed wineglass from the 12 oz. bottle, best before December 13.

a: Light golden, 1 finger head with lots of lacing.

s: Floral(shocking right?) with citrus and nice moderate bitterness.

t: Up front hoppy, but not too bitter, almost sweet from citrus hops but not overly so.

m: Nice carbonation moderate mouth feel nice crisp and drinkable.

o: Awesome beer, Nicely balanced get it fresh when you can.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%