Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flower Power India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Hoyt for bringing these back from New York with him.

A - bright golden orange with a thick quarter inch cap of soft, dense, white head that has decent retention

S - huge citrus aromas - grapefruit, orange, melon

T - bready malt character up front; big citrus character from the hops - orange, pineapple, grapefruit; slight spicy, piny, bitter finish; some faint alcohol

M - medium bodied, well carbonated, smooth, a little alcohol warmth

This is delicious! It has great flavor and aroma. The hop character is superb with just enough underlying malt presence to keep it balanced. It's easy to drink, not too bitter, and the ABV relatively well hidden. This is definitely worth a try.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a nice, deep honey gold with a finger of sticky white head. Nice lacing.

Lots of pineapple, syrupy fruits, more pineapple, some caramel malt, cantaloupe, nice smelling beer for sure.

An interesting take on the style. Some abstract bitterness with orange peel and cream soda. Very drinkable for a big IPA.

Thanks schwartzoid for this awesome extra!

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a night light golden, with a 1 finger white creamy head. A few small streams of carbonation rose from the bottom. Aroma was floral and citrus, with a bit of piney bitter hops. Nicely pleasant smell. Taste started off a bit herbally, and then finished up like piney hops. Felt good in the mouth, coated as an IPA should with a bit of tingle from the carbonation. Overall a pretty solid beer. Nothing to really detract.

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

Purchased at 6er for $11.50 at the local Bottle King. So much to say about this one...where oh where do I start? First off, this brew singlehandedly ruined every other IPA I drink on a regular basis, for I no longer want to drink any of them. I'd guesstimate that roughly 80% of the beers I drink are IPA's, and I drink some of the best (well at least those that are readily available). Flower Power is so refrshing and delicious that I can't believe I haven't tried it yet. I won't trash any other IPA's for I love the style, but last night I followed this one with a higher rated and more universally loved IPA which I normally rather enjoy (just to see if Flower Power was a good as I thought), and I felt like pouring the other beer down the drain for it couldn't even hold a candle to Flower Power. Oh, if you think $11.50 is pricey for a 6er,think again, I'd personally be happy to pay double that for this one (just don't tell that to Ithaca brewing).

A: Light amber with very nice carbonation, less than 1 finger white head, some sediment floating around. Very appealing

S: Pure heaven: Grapefruit dominates the show, but it's like the freshest smelling grapefruit ever. When you smell other IPA's you have to stretch it when you say it smells like this fruit or that fruit, this beer actually smells like a glass of fresh squeezed red grapefruit. Also picked up some mango or apricot, pineapple and orange peel.

T: Exactly like it smells, like a fruit punch of citrus fruits, with a nice sweetness. I guess that sweetness is the malts but it doesn't taste like your typical malt flavors, it's better. A nice bitter hoppy taste rears it's pretty head on the finish, yet it's not overpowering. At 7.5% ABV you would have no clue that this beer even has alcohol in it, that's how smooth it is. Perfect for a summer's day or any day for that matter..just perfect

M: Medium body with medium to high carbonation that just rinses prepares your mouth for the next sip. Amazing.

O: Need I say anymore, if you're an IPA fan and haven't tried the Flower Power I ask with all sincerity..what the fchuck are you waiting for?? When I find a better readily available IPA, I'll write about it. Yet I don't think that will be anytime soon.

2.75/5  rDev -35.1%

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

I can thank Founder26 once again for this first try. What a spectacular brew! Caught me off guard since I thought this might be a Pale Ale.
This pours a nice typical amber color for an IPA. Kinda Cloudy and a bit of sediment involved, but nice appearance none the less.
Smell: The smell? OMG it's spectacular! Pine and citrus, I love it! I gave it a 5 because you can't really get any better.
Taste is a bit like the smell and hits you hard. Wonderful! Pine and citrus so wonderfully balanced. Nice medium to strong bitterness is perfect for an IPA.
Carbonation is medium to strong on this one as well which I love.
Overall, I loved this beer and wish it was distributed in my area. If it was, I would buy this very often!

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company