Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flower Power India Pale Ale Alström Bros
sendsilk

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks fo AleLovinRuskie for this extra in a recent trade. Never even heard of it before, but NICE TO MEET YOU Flower Power! Poured a 12 oz. bottle into my trusty 'Crab House' pint glass.

A- Nice golden appearance. Clean and crisp looking.

S- Friggin great. This must be fairly fresh as the Hops are screaming to the front of this brew.

T- Very impressive. It's always an excellent surprise to get a great brew that you have never even heard of before, and a style that's not normally your's to boot. We're thinking, okay, I am sure it's decent because it came as an extra and you aren't going to call someone out on sending a shitty beer. This was nothing like that. Seriously good beer. Thanks Adam!

M- It's an IPA, I swallow it as soon as it's in my mouth. It's the smell and aftertaste that I want from this dammit. How do I rate this, maybe call it stomachfeel?

D- Hmm, I love to booze it up and I would love to have this one again. Anyone want to send me some of this? Let's work out a trade!

Great brew,
Matt

02-22-2011 05:06:26 | More by sendsilk
Avantyawn

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

This is my first bottle, I am a big fan after the first sip. The beer has a nice floral fruitiness without being sickly sweet which is very important to me in an IPA.

A: Nice amber colored pour, lees floating around which I love to see, unfiltered. Very nice looking pour. Lacing on glass as beer goes down. This is certainly a real looking beer.

S: Delightful sweet hoppy scent. A bit of sour apple essence, unusual. Some pine and bitter as well. Sublte malt backbone, so much so I don't think, "malt" when smelling, but it is there in a well balanced manner.

T: Not your typical grapefruit bomb IPA. Fruity jammy, sweet but not too sweet, bitter but hardly astringent. Balanced , awesome. Impressive.

M: Creamy and thick mouthfeel. Fantastic. Not too thick but thicker than your average IPA even at 7.5%.

D: High drinkability. Probably dangerous at 7.5%, I could see sucking down three of these very quickly.

This is my first bottle of Flower Power and I am certain it will not be my last. I have been looking for another 7-8% IPA to add to my fridge rotation and I think this is it! Bravo!

02-21-2011 00:48:55 | More by Avantyawn
kevinv

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Big thanks to cavedave for sending two of these my way. I've been wanting to try this one for awhile.

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Best by month of May notched on the side.

A - Pours a clear deep copper/amber color with an attractive and fluffy 1-1.5 finger off-white head. Nice bubbly carbonation and delicate sticky lacing.

S - The aroma is the standout for me in this beer. Extremely fragrant notes of floral, citrusy, and grassy hops. This is indeed, Flower Power. Slight caramel/toffee malt undertones.

T - Big bold hop presence. It doesn't hit me quite as strongly as the nose did. Bitter orange and other citrusy flavors up front. More abundant notes of citrus and a strong grapefruit-like dryness in the finish. Only a slight presence of alcohol.

M - Crisp low-medium mouthfeel with adequate carbonation. Perhaps a bit lighter than I expected, but no complaints here. I'd like to try the unfiltered version of the Power if I ever get the chance.

D - The drinkability is strong in this one. The alcohol is hidden well and the amount of bitterness that's left behind is very manageable. I'll be sad that I won't have any more in my fridge after this next one, but I think it's time for another!

02-20-2011 23:01:51 | More by kevinv
wrobills

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Nice gold/amber slightly hazy.

Smell: Like a big citrusy olfactory atomic bomb. Grapefruit, peach, "grassy". Sweet and hoppy, makes you want to dive right in.

Taste: Sweet citrus hops up front with a nice malt backbone so that the initial taste is not too bitter. The end of the beer leaves a nice lingering bitterness on the back of your tongue. Hoppy, but not too bitter. The 7.5% is dangerously hidden.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, Medium bodied beer. Leaves what feels like a thin layer of hop oil all around your mouth.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Could definitely have a few of these. Wont overpower your taste buds (if you drink IPA's), but also wont leave you wanting...

02-20-2011 17:48:23 | More by wrobills
harrymel

Washington

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to Malvado78 for this as an extra!
Best by: 02/2011
Poured to New Belgium globe.

A: Amber-gold ale with slight haziness. Less than single finger head of coarse, tightly packed bubbles retires to a thin sheet of the same. Spotty lacing.

S: So, this might be one of the most unique IPA's I've ever smelled. Beyond the typical hop aromas (see pine, resin, citrus, etc...), I've got peaches! Plums! Sweetened malts play well here as well. Mostly pale, hints of caramel. Goddamn beautiful.

T: I can't believe this is an IPA! Flower power is aptly named, as the beer is so floral. Jasmine, malt, hops, apples...maybe my vernacular can't accommodate the complexity here, fuck this is good!

M: Medium with moderate carbonation. Little impact on the mouth. Good drinkin beer.

D: Man, I'm not usually an East Coast IPA guy, but this is an outstanding beer - geography aside.

02-20-2011 07:33:23 | More by harrymel
metter98

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A: The beer is slightly hazy amber in color and has a very light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that quickly died down but never completely faded away.
S: The nose has moderately strong aromas of citrusy hops along with some hints of pine resin. Smells of grapefruit stand out in particular.
T: The taste is filled with citrusy and bitter flavors from the hops, but these are in no way overpowering because there is an excellent balance with the underlying malts, which even contribute some hints of malty sweetness to the initial taste.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is a bit of dryness in the finish.
D: This beer is quite drinkable considering all of the hoppy flavors and the alcohol is well masked from the taste.

02-19-2011 14:33:28 | More by metter98
getgetgettleman

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Reviewed from notes of 2/18/11
Receive this bottle from my friend Toby
in a 6 pack beer swap.

A = Amber to a warm orange color. Good opacity. Good 3 finger head with moderate lacing.

S = Hops! Notes of green apple, ripe fruit, clover, and mature green grass.

T = Solid hop flavor, moderate apricot, honey and clover.

M = Good carbonation. Bright and active on the pallette. Immediate hop and fruit notes. Finish is suprisingly smooth for an IPA. Similiar to cream or butter. Very well balanced.

D = A pleasant surprise in the crowded world of IPA's. A very easy drinker with just the right amount of complexity to make it intereting. Friendly enough to pull in the novice IPA drinker to experience something new.

02-19-2011 13:32:23 | More by getgetgettleman
HarrisonDean

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Reviewed on 9/22/2009

I have to admit that I have a hard time resisting a good India Pale Ale (IPA), a delightful double IPA, or a monstrous Imperial IPA. That's because I'm Harrison Dean, and I'm a hop-head. The hop is a flower grown on vines in various beer-producing parts of the world, which was originally introduced to the beer-making process as a preservative. Monks found the additional aroma, bitterness, and variety of other flavors added by the hops to be delicious improvements to their hand-crafted ales. Eventually, hops found their most celebrated vehicle in the IPA, to which copious amounts of strong hops were added as preservatives for the long, worldwide shipping process of the 1800s.

One of our modern and localized realizations of the style is Flower Power IPA from Ithica Beer Company, where I grabbed a six-pack from the brewery store. The logo is a wavy, lemon-lime throwback from the '60s, which tickles my nostrils for some floral hop effervescence. The beer pours a translucent orange with a puffy cream head. The aroma is fresh, smelling of ripe oranges, sweet wildflowers, and spring pine. The head lingers and leaves loads of lacing.

Each sip evolves rapidly from a very sweet, very floral burst into a milder citrus and light malt body. There is a lingering sweetness from honey which is gradually balanced out by soft, buttering dryness on the tongue. Flower Power is crisp and clean, with nice citrus, floral, and fruit flavors from the cocktail of hops used in the boil and used to dry hop the beer. It is very refreshing since it focuses on the aroma and flavor characteristics of the hops rather than oily bitterness which many IPAs tend towards when they get hopped up a notch. Definitely try this one out on one of the remaining summer afternoons.

02-19-2011 03:29:26 | More by HarrisonDean
thebrood1987

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Leaves a really nice rocky ice cream scoop head and has a hazy and cloudy look to it even though its not unfiltered this is from all the hops they put into the beer. I get a nice thick citrus wet hop smell that reminds me of Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. The taste is in amazing array of juicy citrus hops that are just pushing that resin potent taste. It ends with a nice bitter finish that doesn't last too long but long enough to let you know this is a great IPA.

It has a freshness notch next to January so this is a month old so it may have some more bitterness than what I'm explaining but it's still even at a month past its due date amazingly hoppy. The hop flavor is what this beer is all about. The mouthfeel I think wins this beer over for many because its thick honey like malt feel mixes in with the thick hops taste and it creates an outstanding quality beer.

I just had a Green Flash West Coast IPA and even though its not as pungent and bitter as that this still some of the best east coast IPA's like Dogfish Head 60 minute.

02-19-2011 02:53:03 | More by thebrood1987
mindlucent2007

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a semi-cloudy rich gold color with intimidating lacing and a strong, consistent film atop. The pint glass is well-coated. I can feel the power already.

Flowery and citrus aromas with a spicy kick to it.

This brew gives you plenty and everything blends together so nicely. Grapefruit and piney hop notes. A sweet candy-like finish. Real hoppy profile.

A well developed feel, with a medium carbonation; I think the perfect range for an IPA. It carries weight but somehow has a light feel to it.

This is just a solid IPA that I would enjoy again for sure. I now have gotten down with the growler Flower Power to the bottle and yeah they were both fantastic. I like what Ithaca did here with a complex IPA offering.

02-18-2011 02:32:28 | More by mindlucent2007
decadance

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%

A - Gold Orange color, lazes about half down the glass.

S - Grapefruit dominated with citrus.

T - A sweeter IPA than many. Still prominent bitterness, but considerable malt backbone.

M - Seems a bit too thin for an IPA.

D - I could have a couple, but it would not be my go to choice for IPAs.

02-17-2011 22:30:46 | More by decadance
Vdubb86

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to brendanbeer for this extra.

This beer pours a light golden orange color with an alabaster froth on the surface. The aromatics are strongly of fresh fragrant floral hops a touch of citrus notes along with it. Upfront the taste seems rather abrasive, but it smooths out near the end. The problem is that the hop bitterness leaves that woodsy taste lingering on the back of the tongue. This is a good and rather drinkable IPA, It's good when it's fresh, I wish there had been a better balance of flavor and hop, but all the components are there. Enjoyable beer, one of the better IPAs on the market.

02-17-2011 20:14:41 | More by Vdubb86
ronk13

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

one of my fave ipa that you can get year round. It may not be the gretest ipa but it is the one i go to most often. Beautiful color, nose and taste. It is the perfect summer beer. Very citrusy , slight bitter after taste. At 7.5% it's very drinkable. I highly recommend eating a soft pretzel with this beer = heaven

02-16-2011 02:18:23 | More by ronk13
gameface23

4.25/5  rDev 0%

A: Hazy golden copper with a great looking head. Some of the most impressive lacing I have ever seen in a beer. It left Rorschach patterns all over the sides of the glass.

S: Tropical fruits, citrus, and floral notes. There is a complimentary honey note to round out the aroma.

T: Clean hop bitterness that slides gracefully into a just a hint of sweetness. There isn't any "spicy" hop flavor, it is all the citrus, refreshing type.

M: Medium bodied, silky, smooth carbonation.

D: A really nice offering from Ithaca. This can stand up to the West Coast hopheads any day.

02-15-2011 23:30:27 | More by gameface23
Vonerichs

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Deep golden color with a huge pillow of white fluffy lacing and tons of sticky lacing.

Tropical fruit nose mango and pineapple. A touch of grapefruit. Light perfume/floral scents. Very fresh smelling.

Same tropical and citrus hops. There's an interesting tart taste to it, kind of like sweet tarts. Somewhat bitter, but has a sweetness that keeps it in check.

Mouthfeel is fresh, clean, and dry finish. Medium carbonation.

A very, very good IPA. I could drink these all day. I wish I had more access to it.

02-15-2011 02:50:38 | More by Vonerichs
Whimpers

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottle poured into a Magic Hat Pils glass. Best by stamp of April/May.

Appearance- Pours a hazy orange/yellow. Light but steady carbonation. Head on this particular glass is light due to a slow gentle pour, only about one finger. However, an aggressive pour will produce a massive thick head that will be as big as you want it, and will linger throughout the whole glass. Lacing is heavy, especially on an aggressive pour, leaving a nice ring after every sip.

Smell- Smell is well noted in previous reviews. It's a juicy tart citrus, like a freshly halved grapefruit. dank citrus hops. it's a smell you notice right after popping the top, and it's truly adds to to overall enjoyability of this beer.

Taste- Again, on the citrus side of IPA's. It's a strong, fresh taste, juicy fresh citrus that blends very well with the overall smell. the finish is a bitter bite that you would expect from a good IPA. It's bitter, but not overpowering by any means. satisfyingly bitter.

Mouthfeel- very smooth carbonation that flows effortlessly over the tongue. it's got a nice thick IPA feel, that gives the feeling of drinking a beer of substance. I'm also gifted to a feeling of overall juiciness, but then again that may just be my mouth watering.

Drink- Around beer #3 the palette is pretty beat up. The bitterness does linger with a lemon juiciness to smooth it out. 7.5% ABV leaves a beer you can still function well after 2, but around the 3-6 mark you are starting to get a bit sloppy. However, all of the positive elements of this beer make it extremely drinkable. so drinkable in fact, it's a beer you will crave.

In closing, I love this beer. If I had to drink one beer only for the rest of my life, Ithaca Flower Power IPA would be near the top of the list. I'm glad it's a New York State brew, thus giving me regular access. Please try it, and enjoy

02-15-2011 02:35:54 | More by Whimpers
kellertrumpet

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a dark golden with a very nice white head and leaves some really nice lacing on the tulip I poured this into. It is darker than what I had expected to see.

The aroma of this beer could be its most impressive asset. Awesome grapefruit as well as mango and perhaps some other citrus in the nose. Also showcases some sweetness from malt.

Medium body for the style.

Very tasty. Blast of grapefruit and mango on the first sip and ends with a nice piney bitterness on the back of the tongue. The hops certainly take over as they should since it is an IPA but there is definitely a solid malt bill as well and it keeps this beer pretty balanced.

I only wish that my bottle had been a bit fresher. It was still within the freshness date range on the bottle (thank you Ithaca for making it legible) but I am sure this is outstanding right after bottling.

02-15-2011 01:58:58 | More by kellertrumpet
wcintula

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

I was taken aback by this awesome IPA. It wasn't much to look at with very minimal head, but it exudes grapefruit awesomeness in the smell and taste. It's high ABV is well masked by all the citrus hoppiness going on. It's got an extra-medium body to it due to a very very low carbonation. Great beer, happy to have it.

02-14-2011 18:30:27 | More by wcintula
seedsofchaos

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle dated best before March 2011. Reviewed on February 11th, 2011. Ithaca's Flower Power, eh? I've been anticipating what this beer might be like. Let's do it up!

Now that's what I like to see in an IPA! Poured into a pint glass this resembles honey topped with cream. A 1/2 inch head meanders down to a skimming but maintains a solid cap on the brew constituted of tight white bubbles. No chill haze. Carbonation looks solid throughout. Lacing is fantastic and spiderwebs down the glass. Aroma is delicious. Light grapefruit and pineapple linger in a nose that is definitely citrus hop forward. The malt's bready smell stands around in the background but it's definitely there. Hey, it's an IPA. It's supposed to be hops! Hops! Hops! Right?

A little less than I expected in the taste at first.. This beer is, how do you say, delicate. Bitterness is very low and a bit of seemingly piney hops begin to play near the tip of my palette. I would say that this IPA is definitely very well rounded. It's not a hop bomb as the nose would suggest but malts don't overpower either. Biscuity with light citrus and piney hops on top. Bitterness continues to lay low.

At 7.5% this is a bit more than sessionable but it tastes like a session beer. Crisp. Refreshing. Nowhere near hot with alcohol. No particular flavor punches you in your taste buds. Enjoyable and fresh!

02-12-2011 00:22:46 | More by seedsofchaos
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

It seems like these days, you never know what you are going to find when you go beer shopping in downtown DC (since there really aren't any distribution laws and pretty much anything goes!). I was totally stoked to find this beer on the shelf at Scheider's of Capitol Hill. I've been wanting to try it for a while.

A: Very cloudy orange sherbet-like in color, with a ridiculously robust and fluffy off-white head that almost spilled over the side of the glass after a hard pour.

S: Wow...."Flower Power" is right! This was basically a hophead's air freshener, with a full bouquet of floral hops and tons of orange, grapefruit, and a bit of crushed "Flintstone" vitamins.

T: Bitter and mildly boozy, but the yummy fruit elements were so intensely over-the-top that I really didn't give a damn. The mouth-puckering bitterness may have won out slightly over the candy-hops by a small margin, but that's what gave this brew its charm IMO.

M: A bit thinner than expected after experiencing the nose on this one. However, the carbonation was fine for the style, the bitter elements cut through the sugar content and then some, and the lacing was basically non-existent.

D: I had high expectations going into this session and it did not disappoint. I think I'll go back to Schneider's and get some more before they run out!

02-11-2011 00:01:42 | More by Chaney
olympuszymurgus

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Slumin' it tonight! Date last night, date tomorrow, today is frozen pizza and a foreign IPA. Foreign to me at least.

An opaque orange with a vibrant white head. Smell rolls off with a clean resinous grapefruit, hints of malt and grain, and maybe some wheat.

Very little bitterness comes out, this is a clean and fruity IPA, not a bitter slap in the face. Mouthfeel is spot on, it cleans the palate as it leaves, just a damn fine beer.

I hate to do this, but it is just so apropos- this is Pliny light. Yeah, I said it. It taste good, I would buy a lot if I lived in NY.

02-10-2011 02:23:56 | More by olympuszymurgus
ajaxivan

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

First tried this beer a year ago, finally getting around to reviewing it.

A: Beautiful rich copper color with a nice 2 finger head.Good lacing as you drink

S: This smells great with strong citrus(grapefruit,orange,lemon) and pine.

T: Nice balance between the pine and citrus notes

M: Light/medium feel, not real full but really works well with everything going on in this beer.

D: I love this beer, i am glad its a year round offering now and i intend to drink it often. If you have access to Ithaca beer i suggest you give it a shot. It goes down well with little biterness and at 7.5% very easy to drink. This has become a new fav. for me.

02-09-2011 00:42:37 | More by ajaxivan
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

Nice vibrant orange appearance, aroma was citrus hoppy, didn't leave much lace or produce too much head.

Taste, good hop mouthfeel, hid the alcohol nicely. Was very similar to a citra pale homebrew I had just before it. Ample pine flavor. Extremely floral aspect to it (could be psychosomatic from the name). A straight forward, inspired by west coast ipa that does a decent job at mimicking a style that trend wise is still getting its feet wet on the East Coast.

02-08-2011 18:02:41 | More by Beerandraiderfan
UMNbeerhunter

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Darkness tulip.

Smell is of pine and earthy grass tones.

Pour is light and very frothy white head that leaves little lacing.

Taste is of citrus hops and.... Grass??? What the hell? I wish I could have this throughout the winter to remind me of freshly cut grass.

This is a great beer but I think it just doesn't stand up to some other in the style.

Cheers, Joe

02-07-2011 09:24:48 | More by UMNbeerhunter
cetherid

Indiana

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer is a hazy orange/honey color. About 2 fingers worth of frothy off-white head. A nice looking beer. Great lacing throughout drinking this.

S

Big time hops! Citrus dominant, a little pine. A nice little maltiness in the aroma as well.

*the more this warms up, I smell a lot of sweet malts*

T.

Lots of bitterness up front. Some pine and a little citrus rind in the flavor. Some slight sweetness towards the end that mellows out the bitterness.

M.

About medium bodied with loads of carbonation. Kind of an oily mouthfeel in this beer.

D.

A pretty solid IPA however you pretty much have to trade for it. Great flavor and not too boozy.

02-07-2011 01:53:11 | More by cetherid