Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flower Power India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Reviewed on 4-18-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A – Poured a nice two fingers of foam, cloudy copper color, lots of carbonation present

S – Hops with hints of malt. Citrus orange aroma but mainly lots of hops

T/M – Medium bodied, from the nose I would have guessed hop bomb but more like a brew that was half malt and half hop. Malt is a pretty big player with this brew. Smooth brew with a good amount of hop bitterness at the back end

D – Very drinkable brew, great blend of malt and hops. Very easy for me to drink more than one of these. I would for sure seek this brew out again. Big thanks to lovindahops for this one. I recommend this brew!!!

FreshmanPour77, Apr 22, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Fresh, on-tap at Al's.

A: The IPA is a golden amber color, a little dark but strikingly clear. No head comes along, making it look like a cask pour even though it isn't.

S: The stickiest of the icky, the beer is wickedly dank. The hoppiness has citrus and plenty of it, along with a resiny thickness. What a hoppy delight to linger on.

T: For as hoppy as it is, its caramel base isn't shy. Standing out through each sip, it adds balance and support for the dark, dirty hops. As the hops bloom, which they do often, the ale becomes a resiny swirl of citrus bitterness. Grapefruit and orange rind are strong, fresh and vibrant. The strength of the ale is slow to materialize but at a certain point it hits. Even after that point, the hops are deliciously strong. A floral dose of intensity.

M: Resiny and thick, coating my tastebuds anew on each sip. Dank is the word of the day, a dark hoppy melange of flowers and citrus. Fresh this IPA is tough to top.

Mouth smackingly good, bitter and focused with a true bite. Amongst a line-up that included Mongo, Big A, Hopsickle and Idiot IPA, this one stood out (I did grab a mongo growler to go).

akorsak, Apr 22, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

A best by April bottle poured into a tulip glass. Hoping this isn't past its prime. Beer is a very hazy copper color, that you can't see through at all. Initial finger of bubbly off white head receded immediately to some bubbles and a light collar around the surface of the beer without much lacing. Not much carbonation visible through the haze but the large bubbles that forms the head means there's some decent fizz in there.

Nose is sweet malts, caramel and biscuit, light citrus sweetness, ripe grapefruit and orange, and a bit of stone fruit, apricot and nectarines. Nose does not bode well for the bitterness level of the beer.

Pleasantly bitter citrus peel on the tongue, orange and grapefruit, along with some dank grassy hops as well. Malt kicks in mid tongue, some biscuit malts sweetness. Finishes fairly dry with only a light bitterness from the initial hops hitting the tongue.

Light to medium body, slick and oily with some minor carbonation tickling the tongue every now and then. Fairly easy to drink as the alcohol doesn't show up in the flavor or in the mouthfeel. A solid IPA, though it may have more pop in the aroma if the bottle had been fresher. May have to try to track down another newer bottle in the future and try it again.

nataku00, Apr 22, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Incredible aroma. This beer achieves a fantastic and lasting floral hop aroma, but the bitterness was much less than I expected after smelling it. A great beer, but may disappoint those who like really bitter, resiny IPA's. One of the best aroma's I have ever seen come out of a bottle. If you want the smell of a Green Flash, but don't want that many IBU's, this is your beer.

markipa1, Apr 22, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

The beer is straw yellow, somewhat cloudy... but clean. Pours with a messy cream head that dissipates quickly.

The smell is very floral, hoppy and grassy.

The beer is sought after by many IPA lovers, this was an ok beer, for an IPA.. perhaps a little too floral for me. Obviously why its called Flower Power this is what they were going for... and I understand that.

The beer wasnt for me though...

I will get it again, buy it again, and drink it again... its just not as good as I thought it was rumored to be.

StevenBilodeau, Apr 21, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer this afternoon upon a friends request. I was not disappointed.

A Great color, dark golden with little head.

S Floral to say the least, hence the name

T Full flavor, citrus is ever present

M There is no mistaking the amount of hops, it is a true IPA lovers beer.

O I would recommend this beer and buy it again.

JMikeQJr, Apr 21, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Great hazy golden color, with a good amount of head that is sticking around.

S: AMAZING, get a ton of hops. Citrus and pine just exploding into your senses.

T: Getting a lot more pin than citrus in the taste, a great piney taste though. A small hint of citrus but barely any, just a great pine taste.

M: Goes down pretty smooth, leaves a nice bitterness on the tongue which is good.

O: This is a great beer recommended by a friend at a tasting, picked up a sixer and will definitely love everyone of them. This could be my year round hopslam

Bogforce, Apr 20, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks for BA vapodge for sharing this one with me!

A- Golden-hued body with a creamy white head

S- Floral and citrus hops with some sweetness in there too

T- Citrus hops! A nice sweet balance . Floral and citrus hops begin with the sweetness in the middle and finishes with some bitter hops

M- Medium body, moderate carbonation, feels a bit lacking in the mouthfeel and not sure why but it's still good

D- A very fun take on the IPA, very easy to drink and will return when able to!

aepb1, Apr 20, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

A nice little extra in my box from Shuggy. Many Cheers for this!
*Bottle states best by Dec. 2010?

A: Pours a lightly hazy golden pale color with a huge 3 finger fluffy white pillow of foam. Amazing lace, how sweet the sound!

S: Smell is well rather floral actually. Picking up some sweet malts in the background. A bit on the tame side for an IPA in my opinion.

T: Wowzers this is super tasty! Much to my surprise. The sweet malts are nicely subdued and the hops really burst through here with sweet juicy citrus and resinous pine charactersitics dominant. Totally tickles and tantalizes the palate going down. Puckers and dries out in the finish just how I like em. Not really having any high expectations here...this is damn good.

M: Mouthfeel is somewhat on the creamier side with a great bitter bite carried through by millions of tiny little bubbles that tickle the throat. Bitter dryness really cuts through in the end.

D: So nice. Big hop flavors are carried well with a subdued malt backbone and solid carbonation. ABV is nonexistant making this some easy drinking.

So East Cost does have some hops!?! I am now a believer of the Flower Power. I think I will be leaving this one on my wants list for sure.

Nugganooch, Apr 19, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a medium yellowish orange, cloudy but almost see-through, with a substantial cream-colored fluffy head that slowly recedes. Leaves a ton of lacing all over the glass.

Smell is all fruity, citrusy, floral hops. Quite nice. My main complaint is that it's on the weak side.

Taste is rather one-dimensional. A gentle but dominant hop bitterness, that basically carries through from start to finish. There's a bit of malt support in the beginning, but it quickly gives way. In general, I get don't get much from the malts, and little of the fruitiness I picked up in the smell. A bit of citrus (oranges) comes through late. Okay, not quite one-dimensional, but maybe 1.5.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium-light with medium-high carbonation. Tingly in the finish, and lingers in the mouth for a while

Respectable, but I was rather disappointed with the simplicity of the flavor. I'll confess to being sensitive to bitter, but I just don't get much beyond it in this beer. Particularly disappointing given the lovely intro provided by the appearance and smell.

zeledonia, Apr 18, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Ah, another one to add to my frequent favorites. This immediately reminded me of others that I like - like Two Hearted Ale, 2XIPA. It's a bit less over the top - more serious. The aroma is a bit more tame and the taste isn't excessively hoppy (but remember, this is in comparison to excessively hoppy brews).

It's pretty in the glass with great head. Slighly cloudy. Mild bite. Ithaca has proven once again that they can produce high quality goods.

schoolboy, Apr 16, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Bought a fresh 6 pack yesterday I grabbed a bottle and poured it into a pint glass. It gave me a nice two finger head that stuck around and laced its way down the glass as I drank the brew. The beer itself was a clear copper in color. The hops were up front in the nose citric and piney. The flavor was what I expected hop forward but with a underling malt sweetness. A good IPA balanced and drinkable the carbonation was spot on for the style. It had a medium feel in my mouth so it was filling to the tummy. I will drink it again from time to time now that I can get it.

joepais, Apr 15, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

On-tap at Mikro in Hamden last week. Into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a nice whitish head that leaves good lacing.

Smells pretty strong in terms of hops. Very herbal, piny, with a touch of citrus.

It starts off with a bit of malt to make things a little sweet, some grapefruit pith in the middle, then finishes with a lingering herbal and piny bitterness.

Medium bodied, no alcohol, slightly wet.

Well, at 7.5% it's a real easy drinker, and a nice IPA, just wasn't as good as I held it up to before I tried it. I would try it again no problems if there weren't new alternatives... all-in-all a very good beer, just not groundbreaking.

BranfordBound, Apr 12, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Picture perfect golden orange color with a 2 finger white fluffy had that stuck around for a few minutes. Steady stream of carbonation formed a column from the middle of the glass at the bottom all the way to the top. Lacing pasted on the sides of the glass stuck around until the last sip.

S: Wonderful citrus aroma with pine-resin mixed in. Also, as the name would suggest, a floral aroma that sets this beer apart from all of the others.

T: What a beauty. Wonderful citrusy (cascade) flavor up front, moves to creamy malty sweetness to balance and finishes dry and bitter but not in a distracting way. In a way that makes me want to drink more!

M: Medium bodied - which I can say for just about every AIPA - with medium carbonation. Bitterness leaves the mouth dry and the hop aftertaste lingers for some time.

O: This is, without a doubt, the beer that makes me glad to live near and work in Ithaca, NY. This is my go to beer. If I need to bring a six pack of something to a party - this would be it. I'm grateful I can get it whenever I want.

suspect, Apr 08, 2011

1L growler from Al's of Hampden!!!

This Ithaca brew pours a medium amber brilliant in color and capped with a brilliant soft billowing head that stays around and even laces thicker than most IPAs I have had. The smell is a blossom of resin, pine and citrus which is above my expectation. Upon my mouth this beer flows easily to easily with a sweet citrus beginning to a pine core and bitter dry ending. I like this complex IPA and its twist on the now crowded IPA category. The mouthfeel is just right and now I will have to try to make this growler last a little longer. Ithaca has a home run with this single IPA.

jorg2619, Apr 05, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

First tried this at beerfest in AC last night, and was my favorite beer that I had not previously tried. Today I went out and got a 6 pack at Joe Canals in Northfield. Freshness date on bottle was May.

A: Pours an amber color with a frothy off-white head that disippated quickly, sticky lacing along sides of mug.

S: Smells very hoppy, a sweet hoppy smell with some citrus in there.

T: Tastes very hoppy as well, the sample I had at beerfest was much sweeter than the bottle I am drinking. The grapefuity citrus flavors come out moreso in the bottle. There is a moderate malt taste in the finish, it was blown out by the hops in the first bottle I drank, but now that I'm used to the beer I can get more of the maltiness.

M: Decent mouthfeel, carbonated well. Easily drinkable, very slightly dry finish.

O: A good beer, glad I made the purchase, but I do wish it was more like the samples I had at beerfest last night. The sweet hop flavor I had there was reminiscent of Heavy Seas Loose Cannon.

ReelBigwigFish, Apr 03, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

Fresh growler poured into a DFH tulip-style glass.

Very amber, kind of dark for an IPA. fluffy 1.5-finger head subsides and stays a bit and leaves awesome lacing.

Smells of very ripe citrus fruit--grapefruit, with some mangos and apricots going on there. Floral qualities present as well.

This is a very fruity beer. The dank hop flavors taste very much like real zesty citrus flavors. Grapefruit, pineapple, mango, you name it. No real malt to speak off. A lot of flowery/herbal flavors as well. Some interesting graininess. Leaves a bitter zest flavor in the mouth.

Medium-full on the mouth, lots of lingering bitterness.

I'm never sure how I feel about this beer. I like this more than out of the bottle, though. It does the tropical fruit flavors better than most, but it really tastes different than most IPAs. Well-made, though, without a doubt. Just not the kind of IPA I tend to go for.

musicforairports, Apr 03, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to Hotmanflab666 for the 12 oz bottle.

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a deep hazy gold color with nice white head. Beer retains head very well.

Aroma: Hops are up front but this one doesnt have much of a citrus nose, it is more towards the floral aroma. I suppose thats where the flower power name came from :)

Taste: Yep definately floral with a lingering bitterness, this beer is pushing the boundaries of IPA towards double IPA. Very good beer.

Mouthfeel: Carbpnated just right and leaves neither a dryness nor lingering sweetness on my tongue. Again, very well done.

Overall: Yep, I would happily serve this to any of my friends. Excellent beer.

chriswilkes33, Apr 03, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Hazy gold approaching brown with a fluffy white head and some lacing.
S - Fruity and flowery. Not much pine. Pineapple, however, is present, along with some citrus and other generic tropical fruit.
T - Fruity and flowery again; tastes almost like fruit juice. A hint of graininess afterwards, not sure exactly how to describe it.
MF - Pleasant, smooth, goes down easy. Interesting mentholated feeling; cools the mouth.
O - Solid brew, really enjoyed this; would however say that this is bordering on a DIPA and it packs an alcoholic punch (that I can feel, even if I can't taste it).

I suspect this beer was just a touch too cold as I wasn't so into it at first but as it warmed it really started growing on me.

mountsnow1010, Apr 02, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Ryan011235 for this 12 ounce bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip. Hazy amber body topped with a thickish cap of foam that sticks around impressively and leaves plentiful soapy lace.

Interesting nose. Lots of fruitiness, but it's more apricot than citrus. Pine plays no small part, and there seems to be a floral element as well. A sturdy malt presence lingers.

Much respect for the bitterness, although it's not as fruity as I'd guessed it would be based on the aromas. Piney, yup. The hearty malt profile- more bready than sweet- may or may not be stifling the hops a bit. The malts linger as much as the pine, which for my personal taste detracts from the "rememberability scale". Still, a tasty brew that I'd recommend trying.

PDXHops, Apr 02, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: Poured into my DFH Signature Glass. Pours with a one finger white head and a beautiful hazy orange color.

Smell: Each smell of this beer provided me with a nice smile. There is a ton of citrusy fruit, other fruit smells, and very sweet. Amazing, I love the hop aroma on this bad boy.

Taste: The taste follows the nose. An incredible citrus bomb. There is some nice bitterness to back it up but this beer is fruity as which is probably my favorite flavor in an IPA.

Mouthfeel: There is a nice carbonation, very active and it really helps enhance the experience with this beer. There is a good body to it as well, not too light not too thick.

Overall: This was a fresh bottle. I can see how others may think it is mediocre of they acquire a bottle that is a little dated from my previous experiences with this IPA. It is one of my favorites and if you ge the chance to have it fresh jump all over it! It makes a world of difference. This East Coast brewed West Coast Style IPA can hang with the best of them.

OddNotion, Mar 31, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

A- Amber tint/ light golden mix slight haze..small head 1/2 finger

S- Smells amazing..citrus/sugar fruit mix bitter finish low..low malt sent

T- Full hop flavors crisp grapefruit..light malts

M- Medium body/feel crisp smooth..shits got bite!

O- This beer is exceptional from pour to finish i need barrels of this beer all year round..cheers!!

thehopsguy, Mar 30, 2011

Flower Power

C: 4.0 - Hazy golden/amber color. Red/Pink hues. Pours with very little head (1-2mm, max), which leaves behind a light lacing on the glass.

S: 4.5 - Hoppy. Fruity. Cantoloupe like sweetness. Undertoens of honey.

T: 4.0 Mellow. spices. Light sweetness. Bitter finish. hoppy bitter aftertaste

M: 3.5 Good texture and body. Low/medium carbonation.

D: 4.0 Easy to drink. The hoppy flavors are a favorite of mine, so this ranks highly on my list. I've had this beer once before on tap and it was absolutely amazing. This bottled version isn't as appealing, but then again, it could just be my surroundings which made the experience a little different.

OVERALL: B+/A-

negroobserver, Mar 29, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

A lighter amber ale that has a slight haze about itself. Lightly carbonated it produces only an average foam head.
An aromatic brew to say the least with hops having a citrus bouquet and malts with a solid malty backbone.
The taste is very pleasent with citrus and, dire I say, bubblegum.
Malts are big and solid, toasted maybe.
The alcohol is well hidden in this brew so beware, other then that a solid well made beer thats sure to please.

micromaniac129, Mar 27, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a Sam Adams Lager glass. Bottle says best before May. A dark cloudy orange. Beautiful, sticky, creamy white head. Medium carbonation bubbles. Lace is average, kinda patchy.

A nice bright citrus smell mixed with some bread or yeast. Does smell a bit sweet.

I had to spoon my way into this one. Very nice!! A citrus hop taste but not a bitter bomb. More sweetness of an orange than the bitterness of a grapefruit. Getting some yeast taste but I've noticed that it fades as it warms. Very well balanced IPA. I am trying to find something wrong with the taste but can't.

The mouth is great but not excellent. Silky and rich but a tad watery at the end. Carbonation is good.

I really enjoyed this one. I am a West Coast guy so it's really nice to try what the right coast is doing. Thanks to tsblack05 for this one. Highly recommended!!

azdback, Mar 26, 2011