Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,732 | Reviews: 1,230
4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a us tumbler glass

S - off the bat extremely citrusy, especially grapefruit. A little bit of malt aroma comes through. For me this was fantastic.

T- upon tasting first thing I note is a very mild sweetness, which then becomes a moderate bitterness then transforming into an intense grapefruit.

A- golden in color with lots of bubbles and a bit of carbonation, thick white head about 3 fingers high

M- mildly astringent, with lingering bitterness.

O- I love this beer, it is one of my favorites now, however it does not pair well with most foods for me so I can't really have it with a meal. Only food I've really found goes well with it so far is spicy mexican.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Sampled fresh at the brewery, this is an absolutely stunning American pale ale. The 7.5% ABV is dangerously well hidden, so I will have to be careful...

Appearance a clear golden-red amber with decent white head and lacing. Stunning pine & grapefruit aroma - pure "west coast" hops. The flavour is surprisingly well balanced, with sweet caramelized malts complementing the citrus hop zest. Ends with a lovely lingering hop finish...

All in all, an excellent beer. Wish they could pack this much flavour into something under 5% ABV!

4.07/5  rDev -4%

A- hazy golden yellow orange. With small head leaving a ring around the edge of the glass.

S- funky hop smell. Love it. Grassy, floral, citrus smell.

T- floral grassy tropical flavor. Leaves a bitter taste lingering. Dry.

M- light to medium body with light carbonation.

O- good beer. A lot of hoppy smell which I love. Very enjoyable ipa

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

A: Good golden amber color. Little cloudy. Small amount of white head.

S: floral hop aroma. Little grassy with a small amount of orange aroma.

T: Even has a grassiesh taste. Nice bitter taste. Very different than most IPAs I have had. I cannot pinpoint a lot of the taste -a little funky and earthy

M: good mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

O: OVerall, I am glad I tried this beer and glad my husband received it from BIF. It is very different - not in a bad way but in a bewildering way.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

Pours a nice slightly hazy light copper color with some straw golden hints. There is a nice 1 inch white head that forms that is dense and sticky with some chunkier bubbles sprinkled around. Very good looking brew.

Delicious grassy hopo notes start things off. There is some nice grapefruit and citrus fruit notes in there with some nice resinous aromas. some slight caramel and pale malt notes can be perceived in there. Pretty nice bready grain note sin the middle/back end of the beer.

Taste starts off with intense hop juice notes. Citrus notes aplenty with some nice grapefruit and slight tangerine notes. There is some nice pale malt notes in the middle as well as some nice toasty grain after the hop punch subsides. Very nice and refreshing. The beer isn't overly balanced with a nice hop punch but definitely has a malt backbone.

The hops are great in this beer. This would be a go to daily brew if I could easily obtain it. Very well done.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

183rd Review
Bottle to NB snifter

From notes. Shared a while back with some excellent dudes one summer night in CO.

It should be noted this beer was used to cleanse my palate from the disaster that was Tenacious Cassis.

A: Golden yellow with tint of orange. 1.5+ (frothy white) fingernail head on gentle pour.

S: Beautiful floral hops, sweet caramel malt, tropical fruitiness and very earthy (almost grass-like). The boutique here is lovely!

T: Mostly florally hop notes with a hint of tropical/citrus fruit. Sweetness from malt and combination of hops is done nicely. Quite tasty, indeed.

M: Medium bodied and well carbonated.

O: A very nice, crisp IPA. The floral notes are just right and the balance of this beer is wonderful. A very enjoyable beer for sure!

3.52/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of mjtiernan in BIF, thanks!

A: Pours a slightly hazed golden straw, average white head and substantial lacing.

S: Lots of pineapple, mango, flower power floral hops followed by some sweet toffee malt.

T: The flavor is surprisingly earthy, floral and pine focused considering the smell. There are very minimal fruity flavors, but there is some malt to add a bit of sweetness, though not enough to really balance the beer.

M: Solid body, with the malts providing the substance. This quickly gives way to a very drying, bitter finish. This is one of the more bitter IPAs I have had.

O: This is a well made beer, but certainly not my style of IPA. The hop profile is way too dry, floral and earthy for me (I suppose, hence the name?) While it is a solid beer and I can appreciate it, I probably would not have this one again.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

Hazy golden hue. Inch of head that laces as it drinks.

Floral and grapefruit hop wowsers! Some sweet bready malts to pair up with. Little bits of pine and grassiness.

Great bitterness with a floral hop punch. Nice citric juices; grapefruit, lemon/orange. Nice firm pine note in the finish. Fluffy bread malts taste biscuity. Unique.

Drinks smooth. Nice round body and slickness.

A northeastern gem. Great IPA.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Thanks to cosmo4u for including this extra.

A - pours a medium golden copper with a finger of off white that dissipates quickly. Not brilliant but fairly clear. Moderate amount of lacing.

S - loaded up on tropical hops with lots of mango and pineapple and some grapefruit and a touch of lemon. Is smells like a fresh cut mango.

T - the aroma leads you right into the flavor. Hop forward with tons of tropical hops that bring in massive amounts of mango and pineapple for me. A malt backbone just big enough to carry some of the hops takes a back seat. A firm bitterness on the back end that is pretty clean and doesn't linger. The only complaint I have it it's kind of one dimensional with the tropical hops, while delicious, lacks any true complexity.

M - not as thin as it seems. medium-light bodied to stand up to the hops.

D - easy drinking - the lighter body and lack of a lingering bitterness get you going back for drink after drink.

Overall, it's been a few months since I had this beer and forgot how much I enjoy it. Very topical, full of flavor and easy to drink. An excellent American IPA I can't wait to break out on a warm spring or summer day. The major downside for me is its kind of one dimensional with the mango/tropical hops.

4.24/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle to tulip

Pours glowing orange with 2 fingers worth of head. The lacing on flower power is great.

Smells like "Five Alive". Anyone remember that stuff? Used to love that junk. Smell also reminds me of my grandmothers grapefruits sprinkled with sugar. This stuff smells phenomenal.

Tastes even better than it smells. I'm getting "Five Alive" with some nice hop bitterness. Full range of citrus flavors with a nice amount of hop punch. The overall taste of this beer is incredible.

Mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is moderate.

This is one of my favorite IPA's. It has an amazing flavor that keeps me drinking without pause. Ive seen some unfavorable reviews lately and wonder how fresh those BA's servings were. If you see this stuff get it and then tell me where you got it cuz my source just ran out!!!

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from the bottle into my Bell's tulip.

A: Pours a light orange with little head but absolutely fantastic lacing.

S: I love the nose on this beer. I get a good amount of citrus right up front.

T: This is my favorite part of the beer hands down. Lots of citrus up front and smoothed out by the piney notes on the backend. I'm really enjoying this one.

M: A little weak but still really nice. Great abv that really puts it in a unique spot between IPA and DIPA.

Overall: I'm really glad I got a chance to try this beer. It's a really nice IPA and a great first offering from this brewery.

3.34/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appeared a see-through gold color with a slight amber tinge. Minimal head left behind very minimal lacing.

Smelled of strong hops - a bit of earthy-ness and some honey mixed in.

Taste is a bit watery, not much complexity, and not a very strong bitter kick to it. Very bland (for an ipa).

Mouthfeel was extremely thin. Carb. feels ok.

Overall this has let me down. I specifically hunted down a six pack to see what the hype was all about, and am glad that I didn't buy the case. I find this to be an average IPA, but it seems to lack depth to me. It tastes like water mixed with some hop bitterness. Will not drink again.

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

a - poured a one finger thick bubbly eggshell-colored head into a tulip glass that left decent sheeting and lace throughout. the body was a hazy amber color.
s - big citrus aromas, mainly oranges with a hint of spice.
t - not as big a hop flavor as i would have liked. hints of orange but mostly a grainy and bready type flavor dominates.
m - medium bubbly thickness.
o - decent ipa but lacked a little bit of a hop punch.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company