2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flower Power India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,548 | Reviews: 1,122 | Show All Ratings:
beerloserLI

Pours out a straw hazy blonde. Really nice.

Major hops, and a very floral smell with plenty of citrus, pine, and resin tones.

Fruity sweet hops upfront with a smooth clean finish. A little bitter on the back end as it goes on. Still, easy drinking and yet full flavored.

10-17-2013 05:09:16 | More by beerloserLI
Hendry

Vermont

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%

Semi clear amber with a finger of white soapy head that reduces to nothing in about a minute, plenty of carbonation, average lacing.

Aroma is on the malty side with some dank hops, touch of apricot & herbs.

Taste is slight improvement, the hops fight for the spotlight with the malty, butterscotchy base, and win out just slightly.Ends up finishing dry after coating the palate for a brief spell.

Mouthfeel is medium,brisk carbonation.

Overall, I wish that the dry hopped Flower Power had the same level of carbonation as this bottle did. I found the dry hopped version to be superior in aroma and flavor, but lacked the zippy carbonation. I was expecting more from this one, however it is probably one of the best examples of a balanced IPA, which is popular with many, but not my bag as I want the hops squarely in my face with the malt playing only a supportive role.

10-11-2013 01:31:00 | More by Hendry
mrz200

4.46/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've been a fan of this one for a while, but have recently found myself in amsterdam NY for work where I've been able to get my hands on just-brewed Flower Power which has put this one in my upper echelons of IPA's. To me, it's a good thing when time and temperature have adverse affects on an IPA. The variety of flavors, and collective "lightness" of the results makes the freshness all the more important. There's no monster hop or malt to hide any imperfections.

Color is a little light, and masks the burst of flavor that you are in for. The nose is a little more of an indication...the flowers, citrusey hops, are practically tasted right then. Carbonation is a little high, i definitely recommend that you pour this one in a glass and give it a few minutes to "air out" a bit, but sometimes my thirst gets the best of me.

10-08-2013 15:23:45 | More by mrz200
offthelevel_bytheplumb

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my Leinenkugel's pint glass. Pours a clear, light golden color with a finger and a half of foamy head that dissipates slowly into a cap. Light carbonation visible and mild lacing is left behind. Aroma is light and simple, but not offensive. Light pine is there, even lighter toasty malts in the background. These flavors are much more bold once I sipped it. Strong piney hops, but not overbearing, which I find to be a mistake other breweries tend to make. Light toasty malt background again there, and some zesty lemon is detected with the bitterness once gulped. Not a light beer, but I can't put the medium bodied beer label on it.

Overall: I think pretty highly of this one, but it's not a can't miss beer. This is just another IPA that leads me to believe I should invest in a tulip glass, but I can think of other piney IPAs that don't make me think this.

10-06-2013 20:19:08 | More by offthelevel_bytheplumb
ChrisMyhre

4.59/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a stemmed wineglass from the 12 oz. bottle, best before December 13.

a: Light golden, 1 finger head with lots of lacing.

s: Floral(shocking right?) with citrus and nice moderate bitterness.

t: Up front hoppy, but not too bitter, almost sweet from citrus hops but not overly so.

m: Nice carbonation moderate mouth feel nice crisp and drinkable.

o: Awesome beer, Nicely balanced get it fresh when you can.

10-06-2013 17:28:13 | More by ChrisMyhre
buschbeer

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It pours a hazy golden color with pale yellow highlights. This beer is topped with an inch of off-white head.

S - It has a pretty strong citrus aroma. I could smell it without bringing it to my nose. Once my nose in in there I get some grapefruit and wheat.

T - The flavor is loaded with citrus. Grapefruit seems to dominate. The wheat kind of cuts the bitterness and mellows the flavor a bit.

M - Medium with a little chalkiness.

O - It is a tasty wheat IPA. The flavor is intense despite the mellowing effect of the wheat.

09-29-2013 22:33:46 | More by buschbeer
kkoehnlein

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

IMHO the best smelling IPA I have tried! The hop aromas are incredible!
Taste is great...very balance...I would have scored it higher but there is a funky little (very faint) aftertaste that I don't care for...However it is an amazing IPA and I can't wait to visit the brewery the next time I go to the Finger Lakes (NY).

09-25-2013 02:04:30 | More by kkoehnlein
rdilauro

Connecticut

4.61/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, that is my initial impression. The pour was a light golden tone with a small head that disappeared rather quickly.

But I didnt have to bring the glass to my nose to realize that this was going to be a good hoppy beer.

Nothing disappointment me with this beer. I love my stouts this time of year, but I always love a good hoppy IPA.

The typical grassy, citrus grapefruit aroma and taste came through full, rich, noticeable, but still very easy

The taste was even better than the aroma. The first sip was nice, the second sip better, then third even better and better. This was an easy beer to drink, but each sip let you know you were drinking a quality brew....

I purchased one six pack for everyone to try at the store and one six pack for me!

02/14/13
Another IPA in my review. Just like the other ones, this came down just a notch. I felt it didnt have the overall body and fullness that the others had

09/12/13
Another time with this one... Everything I said about it before still holds so very true.
This is more than first class. What I really enjoyed about it this time was the mouthful. It was big, hoppy, so balanced, bitter, but not to bitter, full, but not to full. I've tasted other IPAs or DIPAs that I've rated higher for specific reasons, but Flower Power overall has everything I want for a special beer or even an every day beer.
This beer is slowly becoming my number one IPA! And I love so many different ones. I only wish we could get more of this

09-24-2013 01:29:33 | More by rdilauro
Thezapper

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light amber color with a decent head and nice lacing.

I get mostly citrus followed by some earthy hop aroma.

This is one of the most drinkable IPA's I've ever had. It's got big hops, a nice malt counterpoint, a fruity complexity and just a touch of alcohol heat.

Medium carbonation and a nice dry finish.

Unlike some IPA's this beer leaves you wanting more. It has a nice hop profile without being overly bitter. It might be the best "session" IPA's out there. Definitely recommend this brew.

09-23-2013 07:44:24 | More by Thezapper
GJ40

4.19/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sampled on tap at Mug's Ale House in Brooklyn.

Light, yellowish golden with a slight haze and a small white head. Nice floral hop aroma. I can see where the name comes from. Fantastic balanced flavor with equal contributions from hop flavor and bitterness. The malt is noticeable. A creamy texture.

A great beer with excellent harmony and an amazing freshness.

09-22-2013 21:26:02 | More by GJ40
boilermakerbrew

Missouri

4.14/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours hazy and light golden in color. Two to three fingers of dense, frothy head that retains and laces very well. Level of haze in the body of the beer is very high.

S- Medium to high hops bitterness and flavors are first to hit the nose. More of a floral scent than a piney scent, as the name would promise. Lots of fruit notes, with citrus tones being foremost of the fruits. Other than that, fairly one dimensional with the hops flavors.

T- Starts with a big bang of hops bitterness. The bitterness in the taste is more bitter and piney than in the scent. Citrus notes move in next after the initial hops bite. Ends with a similar hops kick that it began with.

M- Highly carbonated and light to medium in weight on the palate. The high hops bitterness at the beginning and end of the drink make this one a slower drink. Cannot feel the alcohol in the drink, but you can feel it after drinking it for a bit.

Overall, this is a great IPA for the hop head. Pretty high level of bitterness. A little underhyped compared to others, but this is a solid, above average IPA.

09-22-2013 01:02:29 | More by boilermakerbrew
kell50

4.46/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from Nail Creek in Utica, NY. Poured into Duvel tulip.

A - A hazy yellowish orange hue with a big frothy white head. The head attaches to the glass the whole way down.

S - Hops! Fresh cut grass, grapefruit, orange zest, pine, and spicy floral notes. I do pick up a little bit of that malt, but make no mistake this one is very hoppy and resinous on the nose.

T - A grapefruit, citrus, and spicy hop explosion. The malt is definietly lending a hand to keep this beer in check. FP finishes citrusy and earthy with a nice hoppy bitterness.

M - Medium bodied, with a low level of carbonation. For such a sticky body, it actually finishes quite dry.

O - Ithaca has absolutely knocked this one out of the park. Very hop forward and aggressive, but the malts brings a nice balance. The tropical hop flavors are pretty impressive, especially coming from a brewery out of central NY. Insanely drinkable. I'm always on the hunt for Flower Power whenever I'm up in NY.

09-21-2013 12:52:01 | More by kell50
BethanyB

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a nearly crystal clear pale gold, with a substantial white head. Moderate lacing on the glass.

Smell: As the name suggests, the floral hops hit the nose right away, along with a light earthy scent. Pale malt does its job, rounding things out without detracting from the hops. As the beer warms, a hint of honey is detected.

Taste: Hop bitterness and flavor are appropriately high, with the hops tasting of lavender and spice. The pale base malt is mildly sweet, bringing balance to the profile. The bitterness lingers well into the finish, along with a sort of soapy taste of floral perfume.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body, with medium-high carbonation that adds to the dryness of the finish, but without imparting harshness.

Overall: The strong floral character is definitely different! I can see the appeal, but I might have added just a bit of citrus hops to make the flavor more refreshing and less eau de toilette. Definitely worth trying.

09-20-2013 13:07:46 | More by BethanyB
Jayman931

Mississippi

4.49/5  rDev +5.6%

Been wanting to try this one for awhile. I am lucky enough to get a lot of 3F Zombie and heard a lot of people say it was similar. Its not. BUT make no mistake. This is a GREAT beer. The mouthfeel is similar to Zombie but that's about it. The bottle I had was fairly new. The smell while having an nice citrus note was pale in comparison to Zombie. I got a good bit of grain/malt smell which was refreshing. Not everything has to be all Hops right?

The appearance was lighter than I expected. Looked almost unfiltered and mostly a tan/yellow haze and the core of the beer had a orange hue.

The taste is world-class. It is really good...like...really...really good. I actually just had another sip and changed my taste rating to 4.75

Pretty much if you can buy it frequently...you are lucky

If you can't buy it frequently and you see it....buy it

If you can't get it....there is a trade section on this site.

Outstanding beer...Cheers

09-20-2013 05:40:23 | More by Jayman931
WheelsPSU

4.71/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally got around to trying this beer, and dammit, what took me so long?! I picked up a bottle from Top Hops Beer Shop on the Lower East Side.

The pour was bright gold with a solid head. The lacing decided to hang around a bit too.

The aroma hit me as soon as I popped the top. A huge note of grassy hops and a grapefruit where first to shine through.

On the taste, I got a citrusy burst first, followed by the piney bitterness I love from an IPA. It wasn't too bitter though. A fine example of a well crafted east coast IPA.

The carbonation was good, and the beer didn't dry my mouth out at all. All I know was that when I was done, I wanted more! This is a great IPA.

09-13-2013 14:12:38 | More by WheelsPSU
alaimoa

Connecticut

4.26/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Growler purchased fresh in NY and opened same day 9/12
Pours golden with a bit of off white head but very limited with a bit of lingering legs
Smell strong on the floral, sweet/grapefruit pineapple
Taste had a citrus upfront orange and grapefruit with some earthy tones/floral and a nice crisp and slightly tart finish
Mouthfeel medium body with a crisp finish. Not too creamy

Overall a very tasty ipa with a nice flavor profile, easy drinker, hides the ABV and could easily drink a few of these. On the list of buys when I see it

09-12-2013 23:38:11 | More by alaimoa
roger617

Indiana

3.66/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into Spiegelau glass.

A: 3.5 Light good with 2 fingers of white head that leaves a little lacing.
S: 3.5 Floral, but not a big burst like I was expecting or hoping given the name.
T: 3.75 Floral/citrus with a good bitter and dryness to it.
M: 4.0 Carbed well, smooth, dry aftertaste.
O: 3.5 Not a bad IPA, but nothing I'd seek out. I'd like there to be more of an impact in the aroma and taste. I liked what was there, there just wasn't enough of it.

09-10-2013 00:26:39 | More by roger617
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Potsdam IGA. Best before October.

A - Pours a hazy golden colour with a nice pillowy one finger white head. Good carbonation coming up. Great drapes of lace around the glass and a film of retention.

S - Nice fruity hops. Zesty pineapple comes out too. Orange, tropical fruit. Nice, non-aggressive hop character.

T - Super juicy hop character with pineapple, grapefruit, and more fruit character. Nice. A little alcohol. Orange in there too with a good dose of tropical fruit. Made me a think a bit of sauvignon blanc wine. Complex and enjoyable hop character with malt playing second fiddle by a longshot as it should be.

M - Good carbonation, medium body and a good solid bitterness.

O/D - Extremely drinkable. Just a well made IPA here. Solid flavour and complex hop profile. Really enjoyable.

09-07-2013 23:05:37 | More by tbeckett
mikefuski17

2.95/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Ithicas flower power is interesting. I've heard some great reviews so I decided to vice it a go.

A. The look of the beer it great. Nice cloudy, rich golden hue. Small white head with a little lacing.

S. The scent is very strong and complex. The pineyness of the hops kicks your senses first with a sweet tickle of flowers to back it up.

T. Same as smell but much more overpowering. Hops cover your palette immediately with a slight sweet after taste

M. The body is not the fullest but has some carbonation to it. As soon as you fill your mouth, the fizz dies down quickly.

O. Not bad overall. Would I get it again, maybe. But if you like IPAs, give it a try if you have not yet.

Served in recommended pint glass.

08-29-2013 23:45:19 | More by mikefuski17
bcheng

After tasting it at the brewery (with great food and tap room) and several tastings from fresh bottles, I've decided this is my favorite IPA! It is floral, being one of the most fragrant IPA's I've ever had: Citrus, piney, hoppy, crisp, and just the right amount of hop and malt balance so it's not overly bitter but bitter enough to make it interesting. This is a world class beer.

This is my favorite for the style, and I've tasted quite a lot of IPAs. At 7.5% ABV, I can drink a couple and it will make my day! If you like the Stone Enjoy By, this one is for you, and tastes like a DIPA too.

My only wish is that they distribute this in Virginia so I can get it locally.

08-29-2013 02:58:42 | More by bcheng
Wamesit

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a golden yellow. Thick white head gives way to delicate lacing.

S - Hops. Grapefruit.

T - All hops in the mouth. Centennial and Citra. Lots of grapefruit. Pale malt to help to create what is a surprising level of balance, given the bold hops presence in this beer. Not tropical but certainly bright and very botanical; very refreshing. Bitter and peppery in its finish.

M - Medium lush.

O - Wow. One of the great IPAs out there.

08-29-2013 00:07:25 | More by Wamesit
ianmatth

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Nice orange color. I could care less about appearance, so unless it's really beautiful or really ugly, it will get the average of the other ratings. Who drinks a beer for appearance anyway?

S - Fruity, some pine. You can tell they used some seriously fruity hops for the late additions and dry hopping.

T - Fruity, piney, citrus, no lack of bitterness, but definitely more hop flavor than bitterness.

M - Light and smooth, yet the fruitiness of the hops give it a unique character.

O - One of the best hop-fruity IPAs out there. You will definitely taste the flowers.

08-22-2013 06:33:29 | More by ianmatth
SamTollen

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Ithaca Flower Power has a very strong hoppy scent and taste. One of the best IPA's that I have ever had. Being from New York is great because it can be found at all beer distributors. If you have never tried flower power and like your IPA's this is a must try and you will not be disappointed.

08-16-2013 23:07:12 | More by SamTollen
lazz131

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to my guy joeseppy for this one from his trip to the Far East (Albany).

Although I like ipas, they are probably only maybe my 5th favorite style...but that's like saying it's chocolate lava cake is my 5th favorite dessert or skirt steak is my 5th fav cut of beef. They're all really good.

Appearance is interesting. Although mostly typical for an iPa, almost looks like a slightly tinted pils. Maybe a little lite for the style. But who really cares.
Great floral, citrus nose. Maybe a hint of malt.
Taste is incredible, similar to the nose...fresh citrus fruit and a hint of green grass. Mouth feel - although i normally don't pay as much attention to this, what turns me off about some ipas is the stickiness and heaviness. This one is very fresh and clean and leaves nothing on the palate after a gulp, like a good saison.

I could drink this stuff all summer long. Thanks again KJ.

08-11-2013 01:49:55 | More by lazz131
hopsputin

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a: creamy orange caramel. kinda hazy. 2 finger bubbly white head

s: much more tropical fruit than expected. pineapple, mango. this is also really really floral. crisp sweet caramel malt. slight pine in here. this is one of the juiciest smelling IPAs i've laid my nostrils over. cant wait to dig in

t: this has a unique taste to it. more bitter than the nose indicates. i'm definitely tasting the onion/cat piss. the bitter comes from a piney and grapefruit rind flavor. orange peel. there is a slightly tea leaf, dank bitterness in here as well. back end has some sweet citrus and caramel malt. its a very unique flavor that i wasn't quite ready for - but warmed up to as i drink. citrus

m: lighter side of medium with nice amount of carbonation. makes the bitterness pop

o: not sure if i'd rate it quite as high as everyone else, but this is good. if you want to know what people mean when they refer to cat piss/onion in a beer, id say give this a try...its not a bad thing. this has a solid East Coast hop flavor that is present but not in your face. the floral notes are a real treat too. grapefruit is really a star in here. i fear my bottle might not have been as fresh as it could be (still within the drink before month).

08-10-2013 03:02:02 | More by hopsputin