Join our email list →

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States | website

American IPA | 7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.
Reviews: 1,256 | Hads: 5,072
4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a bottle

A- Beautiful white pillowy head about 2 inches, slightly cloudy bright golden hue
S- Sweet malts, citrusy and fruit hops, peaches, apricots, blueberries
T- Tastes like it smells. Nice balance of sweet and bitter
M- light to medium bodied, lingering bitter finish
O- A great IPA, has everything I like about the style- crisp, refreshing, a beautiful aroma that unfolds as it warms in the glass, and a nice bitter finish that washes down my pastrami sandwich perfectly.

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've been a fan of this one for a while, but have recently found myself in amsterdam NY for work where I've been able to get my hands on just-brewed Flower Power which has put this one in my upper echelons of IPA's. To me, it's a good thing when time and temperature have adverse affects on an IPA. The variety of flavors, and collective "lightness" of the results makes the freshness all the more important. There's no monster hop or malt to hide any imperfections.

Color is a little light, and masks the burst of flavor that you are in for. The nose is a little more of an indication...the flowers, citrusey hops, are practically tasted right then. Carbonation is a little high, i definitely recommend that you pour this one in a glass and give it a few minutes to "air out" a bit, but sometimes my thirst gets the best of me.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

A very clean tasting, drinkable IPA, with a lovely, flowery hop forward flavor.

Although, at 8% abv, this for me, is getting a bit strong for an IPA and is definitely encroaching on DIPA territory. I was looking for something more like a session beer when I bought this one, but was caught out by the IPA classification and the lack of an abv figure on the label.

Not disclosing the abv information is one of my pet peeves, and I don't really understand what the problem is with certain breweries not putting it on the label. It's a major consideration for me when I'm buying beer - I want to know what I'm getting into, and I don't always want the same effect from my beer. Sometimes I just want to knock back a few beers and other times I might want to get shitfaced and write surreal poetry.

As good as this beer is, I probably won't buy it again, because if I want a good IPA, I'd probably go for something a bit weaker, like Stone IPA or Sierra Nevada Celebration (if it's out) or if I want something along these lines I might as well go the whole hog and treat myself to Stone Ruination.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

had this one on tap at Delancy's in CT. poured a reddish amber copper, very clear, and head dissipated quickly. smells of floral lilac and pine. full-bodied malty, caramel and toasty on the malt side and floral, piney and grapefruit on the malt side. pretty rich. i would almost call this a hoppy (imperial) amber ale. i love the name and the logo. more flower to ya!

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed from notes of 2/18/11
Receive this bottle from my friend Toby
in a 6 pack beer swap.

A = Amber to a warm orange color. Good opacity. Good 3 finger head with moderate lacing.

S = Hops! Notes of green apple, ripe fruit, clover, and mature green grass.

T = Solid hop flavor, moderate apricot, honey and clover.

M = Good carbonation. Bright and active on the pallette. Immediate hop and fruit notes. Finish is suprisingly smooth for an IPA. Similiar to cream or butter. Very well balanced.

D = A pleasant surprise in the crowded world of IPA's. A very easy drinker with just the right amount of complexity to make it intereting. Friendly enough to pull in the novice IPA drinker to experience something new.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic. Orange yellow appearance with a 2 finger off-white, fluffy head. Lacing is sticky and thick, staying on the glass the whole way down as you drink.

Big west coast IPA smell here, with lots of citrus notes. Tangerine, grapefruit, orange. Some honey, maybe?

The big win for this beer is the taste. Lots of juicy citrus hits you right up front, grapefruit, tangerine, maybe a little pine, the malt comes in the middle, and then you get hit with just enough bitterness on the finish to make you want more. My absolute favorite IPA from the East so far. If you are a fan of West Coast IPAs, I suggest you give this a try. An amazing beer.

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

I'm not about to kick this beer out of bed, but after the gorgeous hoppy, citrus-infused, tangy scent I was a bit let down at tasting it. It has some excellent hops bitterness that I look for in IPAs, but I expected something awe-inspiring after the hype I heard and the goodness I smelled. Alas. I still have a tasty, pretty (almost an umber color, great fluffy head that settles into fine lacing), easy to quaff IPA. Maybe it's just this batch? I'd kill to find this on tap somewhere to see if that changes the character enough. For all my criticisms, I'd still be happy to have this again and again... especially if the elusive flavors promised by the scent come through in the taste.

2.37/5  rDev -43.3%

I had heard excellent things about this beer and was excited to try it out. Poured into a pint glass, had an nice golden orange color to it, with a nice white head on it.

The smell is the best thing this beer has going for it. Very strong smell. Full of citrus, very piney, and a really florally hops scent.

Taste was very deceiving. I expected a very strong flavor based on the strong smell. This was not the case. All of the tastes that were present in the smell were there, but very faint, and hard to distinguish. I have never tasted a beer before that left such a discrepancy between smell and taste.

Mouthfeel was the worst part. It was so watery, had no body, and the flavor was gone as soon as it was swallowed.

Overall- I did not enjoy this beer at all. I actually poured half of it. It's not that it was terrible, it was just not worth the alcohol or calories when I had a lot of better beers to get to this night.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Copper, clear and a thick tan frothy head. The head wilts to nothing and leaves some splotches of lace behind.

S: Flower power indeed, smells somewhere between a bouquet from the local florist and a bouquet from Edible Arrangements.

T: This is a nicely balanced beer. Has a different sort of bitterness which must be attributed to the hops that they used. Pine, caramel, bread, apricot are all noticeable. It does have a slight aluminum taste to it at the finish I think, but by no means distracting.

M: Medium and fairly thick

D: Could easily be a session beer. I expected a bit more bite, but it was a pleasant change of pace. Glad I have a few more

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

First let me say I am a huge fan of Flower Power and have had it in bottles, growler, and on-tap.

This review is based on unfiltered on-tap at the brewery less than 30 minutes after they kegged it.

Poured a cloudy golden-yellowish, with a beautiful white head.
That smell!! Instantly recognize the grapefruit, pineapple, hop aroma.
This tastes incredible! I could drink this morning, noon, and night, for the next 40 years.

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%

Had out of a 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

a: nice head, good lacing, orangey amber color

s: this was my favorite aspect of the beer, great smell, very fruit, orange, grapefruit, not as much of the piney hops of other ipas

t: similar to the smell, very nice citrus as well as the hoppy bite

m: my least favorite aspect of the beer, but it was not highly carbonated

d: very high, but I love IPAs, so I may be a bit biased

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a bottle dated best by March 2012 into a Samuel Adams perfect pint glass.

Beer poured a hazy honey orange with about a half inch of milk white head which faded very quickly into a little toupee on top. Good lacing.

Smell is amazing. Flowers and tons of tropical fruits. Tangerines, grapefruits, pineapples, and mango. A little bit of sweet malts mixed with honey.

Tastes like sunshine! Big juicy hops and a grapefruit explosion. The bitter aspect is welcoming after the initial sweetness. This beer really hangs around for a long time after you swallow.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily like the best IPAs I've had. As previously mentioned, the aftertaste lasts forever and contributes to an excellent feel. Tongue-numbing goodness!

Overall I have to say I was hooked on the first drink. I had never noticed this in my local bottle shop until a few weeks ago and I had to pick it up due to the amount of attention it has received. No disappointments here.

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

Got a bottle from my friend Jim the other night while we were brewing a pilot batch of India Wheat Wine.
Poured into a pint glass.

A- Orangey/deep gold with a frothy 2 finger head that subsides into thick film, leaving lots of lace.

S- Intense grassy and herbal aroma with some notes of tangerines and oranges coming through. Sweet malt in the background.

T- The beer stands up to it's name, and packs a lot of the same grassy and citrusy hop flavor. The lack of intense bitterness is a pleasant surprise and it is easy to see that a lot of focus went into finishing hops. The hops are complimented by just enough malt backbone to make a well balanced beer.

M- Medium body, sticky and coats the tongue as it goes down. Resinous feeling.

O- This is a very enjoyable and drinkable beer, especially due to the fact that it is not as bitter as some other standard IPA's. I love the aroma and herbal/citrus flavor, and I especially love how balanced this beer is. Would definitely be able to drink a case of this easily.

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Someone mentioned that this reminded them of Sculpin. Having had Flower Power before, and one more bottle left in the fridge, I decided to see how they compare. Wow! pretty close.
Try it and see for yourself.
The only thing lacking on this beer is the smell, but I can live with it.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured hazy light copper into stella artois pint glass

smell is awesome of fresh hops and citrus,can't wait to taste it.

taste is almost as good as the smell,very fresh and crisp. Easy drinking, unfortunately,I only had one bottle.

mouthfeel is clean and refreshing

overall an enjoyable IPA that I will happily drink again.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

From the bottle, best by Nov. I damn well hope they mean 2010!

Pours a slightly cloudy pale orange. 1 finger head. Excellent retention.

Smell is total hops - pine and citrus mostly. Strong but not overwhelming. Very little malt in the smell.

Bitterness hits the tongue first, followed by aforementioned pine and citrus flavored. Bitterness doesn't linger long. Hint of an alcohol flavor towards the end, and just a touch of bready malt, but no sweetness - a very dry beer.

Fairly light on the tongue for a 7.5 % beer - carbonation is lively to say the least.

Overall, a very "typical" American IPA in the sense that it has all the characteristics you want in an American IPA, but it does an excellent job of it.

4.39/5  rDev +5%

Pours pale orange with 1 inch of fluffy white head and lacing was nice.

Smells of grapefruit hops and slight maltiness in there.

Nice citrusy grapefruit with a mild malt backbone and bitterness that followed and lingered for awhile.

Very smooth and dry almost no carbonation.

Overall this is a decent IPA very good especially for a year round offering from the east. It is just slightly below NN in flavor and appearance, but still very good.

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this from a good nature snifter.

A: golden, hazy, consistent carbonation running up the inside surface of the glass. A small head web poured disappears into a thin, lacy ring along the surface of the beer. Great looking brew.

S: citrus upfront, with a consistant yet mild bittering aspect from the hops. I wonder how the dry hopped version differs in this category. Pine and resin dealing through as well. It's a nice smelling beer, but nothing trend pusdy stands out compared to similar IPAs.

T: very smooth and crisp. Hoppy, resin, citrus all hit you at once. Floral aspects more subtle than I initially thought they'd be. I mean, it is called flower power.

M: extremely refreshing. Could enjoy this all year long, hot or cold, rain or shine. I would say medium to light in body with a decent yet not overpowering.

O: one of my favorite IPAs I can readily get in my home town. Definitely my favorite brew from Ithaca.

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look- crystal clear and golden with slight orange tint in appearance.

Smell - floral hoppiness.

Taste - again floral hoppiness with a sweet tinge of honey/caramel malt.

Feel - very smooth with light hoppiness that does not overwhelm the palate. Very crushable.

Overall - one of my favorite IPAs especially on a hot day.

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Hop heaven in a glass.

A - Hazy orange with a solid white head.

S - Pleasant and clean - orange, grapefruit and piney

T - Refreshing. The first sip leaves you wanting more ... and there's a nice bitter finish.

An interesting beer that reminds me of summer, but tastes great in the winter, too.

4.49/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Orange in color. Hazy. About a finger worth of off white head that lingers. Left lace marks on the glass

Aroma: Smells like the forest. Tons of pine and a little bit of orange.

Taste: Taste backs up the aroma. Tons of pine flavor that finishes with orange. Hard to detect any sweetness in it, but can taste a little bit of bready flavor in it.

Mouthfeel: Coats the mouth nicely. Full bodied and almost "chewable".

Drinkability: Great example of a "piney" IPA. I would buy it again, but would most likely drink this with food, something BBQ'd or spicy. Alone, it ruins my pallet in a good way, I wouldn't be able to taste much after 2 beers.

Ithica brewing ???? wow absolutely the sweetest smelling brew ever made ... when I drank mine playing cards everyone could smell the sweet aroma at table.. worst part was I left my vacation figuring I'd grab some on way but didn't fine it till Pa. I could put 2 of them in a mix and match for 14 bucks but a whole six pack was 16 hmm me no understand the math. It will be the last time I go to that pub in Chambersburg Pa. Crooks..
Hopefully I find some soon cause it really a refreshing beverage

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

A: hazy orange amber with fine white head

S: unmistakeable American hops full of citrus/grapefruit but powerful and floral as well. The name of this beer and the aroma are just a perfect match.

T: although dominated by hops there is more to the aroma and flavor and less of a bitterness than you might expect in such a well hopped IPA. The result is a suprising tilt to the balance toward something aromatic, floral, and spicy and away from a tongue lashing and lingering bitterness. The bitterness is clean and restrained and beautifully in balance.

M: medium bodied, well carbonated and lively

O: this is just a gorgeous beer and despite the many other IPAs I've had, this perfectly named beer reinvented the style for me and showed me something brand new and fresh. I really can't get enough Flower Power!

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured on tap into a pint glass.

a: Orangey brown with a small amount of off-white head and a bit of lacing.

s + t: Citrus and pine, with a malty sweetness. Overall not bad, though it left a mildly unpleasant dryness on the back of my tongue.

m: Nothing special.

d: The tongue dryness thing turned me away from having more than one.

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

A welcomed extra from Mr. stearns16. Quite unexpected, heard a lot about this one, thanks! Imbibed 11/19/11 - from notes.

Pours a bright orange into my imperial pint. 1 inch of soapy white head sits atop the brew. Quickly disappeared leaving an abstract lacing around. Aroma is all hops with citrus sprinkled in every now & then. Taste begins with a lemon-y bitterness and finishes the same. Not too impressed overall. Mouthfeel is mediocre, has medium carbonation. 7.5% is well hidden though, and I could see myself drinking a couple given I had a few. Slightly above average beer, but would opt for a local WI brew over the Flower Power.

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company