Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 09-17-2002

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flower Power India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,880 | Reviews: 1,264
3.85/5  rDev -9%

A: Copper, clear and a thick tan frothy head. The head wilts to nothing and leaves some splotches of lace behind.

S: Flower power indeed, smells somewhere between a bouquet from the local florist and a bouquet from Edible Arrangements.

T: This is a nicely balanced beer. Has a different sort of bitterness which must be attributed to the hops that they used. Pine, caramel, bread, apricot are all noticeable. It does have a slight aluminum taste to it at the finish I think, but by no means distracting.

M: Medium and fairly thick

D: Could easily be a session beer. I expected a bit more bite, but it was a pleasant change of pace. Glad I have a few more

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

First let me say I am a huge fan of Flower Power and have had it in bottles, growler, and on-tap.

This review is based on unfiltered on-tap at the brewery less than 30 minutes after they kegged it.

Poured a cloudy golden-yellowish, with a beautiful white head.
That smell!! Instantly recognize the grapefruit, pineapple, hop aroma.
This tastes incredible! I could drink this morning, noon, and night, for the next 40 years.

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%

Had out of a 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

a: nice head, good lacing, orangey amber color

s: this was my favorite aspect of the beer, great smell, very fruit, orange, grapefruit, not as much of the piney hops of other ipas

t: similar to the smell, very nice citrus as well as the hoppy bite

m: my least favorite aspect of the beer, but it was not highly carbonated

d: very high, but I love IPAs, so I may be a bit biased

4.36/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a bottle dated best by March 2012 into a Samuel Adams perfect pint glass.

Beer poured a hazy honey orange with about a half inch of milk white head which faded very quickly into a little toupee on top. Good lacing.

Smell is amazing. Flowers and tons of tropical fruits. Tangerines, grapefruits, pineapples, and mango. A little bit of sweet malts mixed with honey.

Tastes like sunshine! Big juicy hops and a grapefruit explosion. The bitter aspect is welcoming after the initial sweetness. This beer really hangs around for a long time after you swallow.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily like the best IPAs I've had. As previously mentioned, the aftertaste lasts forever and contributes to an excellent feel. Tongue-numbing goodness!

Overall I have to say I was hooked on the first drink. I had never noticed this in my local bottle shop until a few weeks ago and I had to pick it up due to the amount of attention it has received. No disappointments here.

4.04/5  rDev -4.5%

Got a bottle from my friend Jim the other night while we were brewing a pilot batch of India Wheat Wine.
Poured into a pint glass.

A- Orangey/deep gold with a frothy 2 finger head that subsides into thick film, leaving lots of lace.

S- Intense grassy and herbal aroma with some notes of tangerines and oranges coming through. Sweet malt in the background.

T- The beer stands up to it's name, and packs a lot of the same grassy and citrusy hop flavor. The lack of intense bitterness is a pleasant surprise and it is easy to see that a lot of focus went into finishing hops. The hops are complimented by just enough malt backbone to make a well balanced beer.

M- Medium body, sticky and coats the tongue as it goes down. Resinous feeling.

O- This is a very enjoyable and drinkable beer, especially due to the fact that it is not as bitter as some other standard IPA's. I love the aroma and herbal/citrus flavor, and I especially love how balanced this beer is. Would definitely be able to drink a case of this easily.

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

Someone mentioned that this reminded them of Sculpin. Having had Flower Power before, and one more bottle left in the fridge, I decided to see how they compare. Wow! pretty close.
Try it and see for yourself.
The only thing lacking on this beer is the smell, but I can live with it.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured hazy light copper into stella artois pint glass

smell is awesome of fresh hops and citrus,can't wait to taste it.

taste is almost as good as the smell,very fresh and crisp. Easy drinking, unfortunately,I only had one bottle.

mouthfeel is clean and refreshing

overall an enjoyable IPA that I will happily drink again.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

From the bottle, best by Nov. I damn well hope they mean 2010!

Pours a slightly cloudy pale orange. 1 finger head. Excellent retention.

Smell is total hops - pine and citrus mostly. Strong but not overwhelming. Very little malt in the smell.

Bitterness hits the tongue first, followed by aforementioned pine and citrus flavored. Bitterness doesn't linger long. Hint of an alcohol flavor towards the end, and just a touch of bready malt, but no sweetness - a very dry beer.

Fairly light on the tongue for a 7.5 % beer - carbonation is lively to say the least.

Overall, a very "typical" American IPA in the sense that it has all the characteristics you want in an American IPA, but it does an excellent job of it.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Great stuff. I love this beer

3.59/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Kinda exactly what I'd imagine an IPA would taste like. Nothing more nothing less. Pretty good, not great.

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours pale orange with 1 inch of fluffy white head and lacing was nice.

Smells of grapefruit hops and slight maltiness in there.

Nice citrusy grapefruit with a mild malt backbone and bitterness that followed and lingered for awhile.

Very smooth and dry almost no carbonation.

Overall this is a decent IPA very good especially for a year round offering from the east. It is just slightly below NN in flavor and appearance, but still very good.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this from a good nature snifter.

A: golden, hazy, consistent carbonation running up the inside surface of the glass. A small head web poured disappears into a thin, lacy ring along the surface of the beer. Great looking brew.

S: citrus upfront, with a consistant yet mild bittering aspect from the hops. I wonder how the dry hopped version differs in this category. Pine and resin dealing through as well. It's a nice smelling beer, but nothing trend pusdy stands out compared to similar IPAs.

T: very smooth and crisp. Hoppy, resin, citrus all hit you at once. Floral aspects more subtle than I initially thought they'd be. I mean, it is called flower power.

M: extremely refreshing. Could enjoy this all year long, hot or cold, rain or shine. I would say medium to light in body with a decent yet not overpowering.

O: one of my favorite IPAs I can readily get in my home town. Definitely my favorite brew from Ithaca.

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Hop heaven in a glass.

A - Hazy orange with a solid white head.

S - Pleasant and clean - orange, grapefruit and piney

T - Refreshing. The first sip leaves you wanting more ... and there's a nice bitter finish.

An interesting beer that reminds me of summer, but tastes great in the winter, too.

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Orange in color. Hazy. About a finger worth of off white head that lingers. Left lace marks on the glass

Aroma: Smells like the forest. Tons of pine and a little bit of orange.

Taste: Taste backs up the aroma. Tons of pine flavor that finishes with orange. Hard to detect any sweetness in it, but can taste a little bit of bready flavor in it.

Mouthfeel: Coats the mouth nicely. Full bodied and almost "chewable".

Drinkability: Great example of a "piney" IPA. I would buy it again, but would most likely drink this with food, something BBQ'd or spicy. Alone, it ruins my pallet in a good way, I wouldn't be able to taste much after 2 beers.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

A: hazy orange amber with fine white head

S: unmistakeable American hops full of citrus/grapefruit but powerful and floral as well. The name of this beer and the aroma are just a perfect match.

T: although dominated by hops there is more to the aroma and flavor and less of a bitterness than you might expect in such a well hopped IPA. The result is a suprising tilt to the balance toward something aromatic, floral, and spicy and away from a tongue lashing and lingering bitterness. The bitterness is clean and restrained and beautifully in balance.

M: medium bodied, well carbonated and lively

O: this is just a gorgeous beer and despite the many other IPAs I've had, this perfectly named beer reinvented the style for me and showed me something brand new and fresh. I really can't get enough Flower Power!

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Poured on tap into a pint glass.

a: Orangey brown with a small amount of off-white head and a bit of lacing.

s + t: Citrus and pine, with a malty sweetness. Overall not bad, though it left a mildly unpleasant dryness on the back of my tongue.

m: Nothing special.

d: The tongue dryness thing turned me away from having more than one.

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

A welcomed extra from Mr. stearns16. Quite unexpected, heard a lot about this one, thanks! Imbibed 11/19/11 - from notes.

Pours a bright orange into my imperial pint. 1 inch of soapy white head sits atop the brew. Quickly disappeared leaving an abstract lacing around. Aroma is all hops with citrus sprinkled in every now & then. Taste begins with a lemon-y bitterness and finishes the same. Not too impressed overall. Mouthfeel is mediocre, has medium carbonation. 7.5% is well hidden though, and I could see myself drinking a couple given I had a few. Slightly above average beer, but would opt for a local WI brew over the Flower Power.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Hands down one of the best American IPA's I have ever tasted, I could drink this beer with any meal it sets good on the taste palate, the fruitiness is remarkable and reminds me of a nice summer day out at the lake fishing with friends, I recommend this beer to any beer lover, and believe me it won't disappoint cheers to all my fellow IPA lovers....

A- Very retro, very entertaining it has a look of "I can't wait to taste that", and when you pour in into a glass the carmel color is so inviting and so smooth with a rich foam!

S- Smell's of a fresh batch of your favorite citrus fruit's, and believe me it won't disappoint!

T- The taste is amazing, it set's on your taste buds and reminds you why an IPA is an IPA, not to bitter just the right amount of flavor that will send you in to a whirl wind of pleasure, I could even go and say it is in my top 5 IPA's I have ever tasted.

MF- One word "WOW", it coats the mouth and rushes in the flavor's of citrus that is simply amazing, hook, line, sinker this one is a winner in my book, and I was critical about giving it a 5 cause I am new to the site, but when you taste it you will agree, hands down the bomb as they would say from around the way!

D- Satisfying and never will make you say I think I want something else, once you drink this beer it will be the only beer you will want to drink for the rest of the evening, no matter the surrounding's, bar, campfire, beach, ect. I mean anywhere and on the last note, thank you Ithaca for one of the best IPA's I have ever tasted!

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Pours a dark golden color with ruby red red highlights. Has a 2 finger white head with very little lacing. Big aromas of grapefruit in the nose with hops jumping out of the glass. Very nicely balanced, with a hop bitterness that is not too overwhelming, that starts strong in the front and finishes a little easier. Dry taste, with little caramel notes. Bitter after taste. Very drinkable IPA, definitely a strong candidate for one to keep in the fridge on a regular basis.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

UPDATE: I got a fresh bottle today and it completely changed my mind about this beer. The grapefruit and mango flavors are completely off the charts. The bitterness is spot on and the malt balance borders on perfection. I've adjusted my scores to reflect the fresh bottle but let the original review be a warning to those who are thinking about picking up a bottle or two that is past its prime.

Quick Story- I've been wnating to try this for some tim enow but never really got around to it. This weekend I packed the family int he car and took a trip to see my parents. On the way, I stopped to pick up a six pack when I saw Flower Power. I did not see a brewed on date so I consulted the clerk and was assured it was fresh. After tasting the beer, I know it wasn't fresh but unfortunately, thats all I have to go off of.

Appearance: Very nice white head rises above a beautiful copper body. Perfect for the style.

Smell: Yikes! Nothing but malt and sugar. The slightest hint of bittering hops. I was expecting some big citrus flavors with floral and earthy hops mixed in for good measure. Nothing.

Taste: Follows the nose. No hops up front, just a strong caramel malt with some cloying sweetness. The aftertaste is quite bitter, more in line with a barleywine. Honestly as a barleywine this would work better. Add some roasted malt and you'd be in good shape.

Mouthfeel: Low carb and heavy body. The unbalanced bitterness is kind of tough.

I plan to give this beer another shot but for the time being, this is all I have.

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pale caramel color, nothing really to write home about.

S: Fantastic hop profile on the nose. Floral, piney, spicey and sweet - really pretty, but with a bite.

T: A little too heavy on the carbonation to get a good sense of the flavor profile on the initial attack, causing the intense bitterness of the back end to dominate. That said, there are also some really light, feathery characteristics following through on the nose. Looong finish on this one.

M: Heavy carbonation, not particularly resiny for an IPA, this is an extremely crisp beer.

D: If you're up for the bitterness, this one is crisp and light enough to session (though at 8% that might not be the best idea).

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a bottle into an Ithaca Pint glass straight from the source.

Appearance: Pours a deep golden color. Not as Amber colored as many IPA's. 1 finger sudsy head that sticks around for a minute or two. T

Smell: Grapefruits and floral scents are dominant. Not as piney as a lot of IPAs.

Taste: Grapefruits again. Classic taste for an IPA. If you arent an IPA lover, you may still like this beer. It's got a strong malt character. If you do like IPA's, then you'll likely LOVE this beer. Classic bittersweet IPA flavor.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, but it still goes down smooth. I'd say it's light bodied for the style. Refreshing is what I think of when I gulp this.

Drinkability: No question about it, even at 8% I'd down a few of these no problem. There is no trace of the alcohol in the taste and that for me is a + to drinkability when it comes to IPAs.

Overall: I had it first at the brewery in Ithaca. I loved it then, and I can honestly say it is just as good from the bottle. Really wish this was available in TX.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

A- Peachy orange with a one finger head; light lacing

S- Bright, mango/apricot/grapefruit aromas - not really any pine or grassiness.

T- Mellow, citrus flavor balanced by cascade hops which provide sufficient bittering.

M- Light mouthfeel and nice carbonation. Not quite as dry and sticky with hops as I sometime like, but very refreshing. A summertime IPA if such a thing exists, which it now does because I just invented it. Boom.

D- Very drinkable and low enough ABV that this would make a decent session IPA

This is the first Ithaca offering that I have tried and I am impressed!

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this twice with mixed experiences. The first time I had it after hearing so much about it I was highly disappointed as it seemed the malts were dominate and nothing truly stood out. The second time I had it was the complete opposite with the hops stepping forward and a more balanced beer. I'm going to attribute my first experience to not having had tasted a fresh bottle and something that was sitting around for a while. So my review is based on the second tasting.

Appearance: Pores a nice golden, orangey color with some light carbonation present ending with a 1 finger head.

Smell: Now here is what truly stands out about this beer. It might just be t he most pleasant smelling IPA I've ever had. The nose is extremely floral. Smells like fresh cut flowers, a dandelion type smell to it, with some hops and citrus fruits .

Taste: A nice hop forward taste that matches the smell, a very floral tasting beer but you definitely get more of the citrus in the taste than in the smell. Some grapefruit and hints of tropical fruits.

Mouthfeel: A creamy, smooth feel that coats the palate leaving a nice blend of the flavors hanging around a bit but doesn't destroy the palate. Very balanced.

Overall: I was extremely pleased the second time I tasted this, fresh was a beautifully blended brew with an AMAZING smell. The nose is the best part, and that's not a bad thing either. I rated it a little lower only because of my first experience. I will re-rate this when I get my hands on another taste.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Great local India Pale Ale, should be a staple for all New York beer drinkers. Bitter in the right ways, viscous, well hidden 7.5% Alcohol By Volume. This is not a super premium drink, but a great, cheap go-to choice for IPA drinkers in the area. Folks at Ithaca do good work. Would want one of these outside on a hot day.

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company