Thirteen - Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Wheatwine |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: ToAzwethinkweizm on 12-05-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 242 | Reviews: 134

4.87/5  rDev +19.7%

My main man from Philly sent me a bottle of this gem as an extra in recent trade. I LOVE Ithaca and their Excelsior beers have been Tits McGee thus far. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Appearance- Pours a light yellow with hints of orange and a big beautiful one finger creamy bright white head. A nice cap and collar is maintained for the whole brew along with plenty of random spotty lacing.
Smell- Oh lord. SO fresh and fruity with TONS and tons of freshly zested oranges. Literally smells like a fresh glass of Simply Orange. Actually, as I smell it more and more it reminds me 100% of my homebrewed Blood Orange Pale Ale. Hints of lemon sneak in every now and again but I can literally end my description at orange.
Taste- Starts with a very mellow kiss of orange zest and a light hoppy bitterness. It has this sort of pithy bitterness that I feel like I used to get in beers a lot but isn't as prominent anymore (for what it's worth). Very fruity through and through with maybe a touch of some sort of bready malt in the finish but it's fleeting and pretty insignificant. The finish is sort of light and fruity and just chocked full of blood orange and grapefruit.
Mouthfeel- Sort of a light airy feel that's almost silky with a nice zippy carbonation.
Drinkability- Oh my word this is a freaking amazingly good/original beer. I haven't really tasted anything like it (other than my homebrew). So fruity and drinkable and delicious. Thanks much Jeff, amazing brew!!

4.84/5  rDev +18.9%

A 12 oz. pour into a tulip at Meadhall 5/3/11.

Cloudy amber with a filmy head and little lace. Lots of hops with plenty of pineapple aroma. Perfect mouthfeel, soft but not too soft. Tropical flavors, pineapple and coconut (?) with some alcohol showing in the middle. Medium body. Neither dry nor too sweet (OK, maybe a slight lean toward the sweet side).

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

Got this from mjtierman, Cheers Matt!

Pours an effervescent honey gold with 3 fingers of cream colored head. Some yeast particles show near the bottom of the bottle. Great head retention & average lacing

S: Citrus in spades, bready notes hiding & emerging once warm

T: Follows the nose pink & regular grapefruit lemons, bready notes, layers of bitterness, you can taste orange & grapefruit peel, all over the place up front. Bready & caramel sweetness fight though the citrus parade as this warms

MF: Medium bodied, chewy, firm carbonation & great balance, some warming sensation comes through once warm. I even get some citrus burn on my lips as well

Super take on the style, artfully executed use of hops & citrus rind. Perfect for a warm spring day, like today. I must get me some more beer from this brewery, they are impressing me so much based on the 3 I've had..

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

One of the best beers that I've had in quite some time, if ever. Had on tap at Peekskill Brewery, liked so much I got a growler fill to go. First for me in this style. Ithica is really hitting it out of the park with some of their brews this year.

A - Pours a reddish copper color, nice two finger head leaves a decent lacing around the glass upon consumption.

S - A little bit of ground break, a little bit of flower power. Ithica really knows how to put an awesome nose in their beers. It makes you crave them even more. One of the best smelling beers ever to cross my nostrils.

T - Once you pass the heavy wheat which has a little bit of bitterness, there is some citrus followed by a heavy floral taste, possibly hibiscus. One of the best I've had in a long time.

M - Excellent Body, perfect carbonation. Another excellently crafted beer from Ithica Brewing Co.

O - Honestly one of the best beers that I've ever had. An interesting style, and an even more interesting taste.

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

A- Hazy golden yellow body with a big fluffy white head. Good size and retention. Nice lace around the glass.

S- Big on citrus zest, citrus fruit and floral, both from hops and added fruit. Certainly a background of yeast and grains.

T- Beautiful blend of citrus fruit, zest, floral, pine and earthy hops. The actual flavor from the fruit is great and can't be produced with only hops. Solid wheat and yeast backbone. Dry straw.

MF- Ultra dry feel really makes this great. Silky foamy carbonation and a modrate bitterness.

One must have this beer to experience the great fruit and hop flavor blend. Wheat adds a great feel as well. Get this if you can! Such a unique balance of great flavors.

4.79/5  rDev +17.7%

Ithaca Thirteen is a cloudy golden ale with lots of clumps and chunks swirling around in it. It's topped with a thick elastic white foam that has outstanding retention and lacing. I could smell lemon as soon as I popped the bottle open. It has a huge, fresh, hoppy, citrus aroma: Fresh hops and lemon zest! It's pretty full bodied and super smooth. It disappears from the mouth almost instantly. The finish is dry and clean. This is very hoppy but the bitterness isn't overbearing at all. The malt just supports the hops here. There's a little black pepper-- lemon pepper! This tastes great. It's just like super fresh hops still on the vine. This isn't very complex but it tastes really darn good. The bottle may be big, but it won't last long in my hands.

4.77/5  rDev +17.2%

On tap @ Barcade JC 10oz pour, $6

I had this once before from the bottle and loved it, never realized it was considered a wheat-wine. I think with all of the experimenting in the brewing world today it is hard to classify a beer in just one category.

Poured a golden hazy amber, with a dime size white foamy head, that left a thin swiss cheese lacing. Huge tropical, pineapple fruit smell, like it was fresh squeezed with some hints of pine and alcohol. WOW, this is unlike any wheat-wine I've ever had, fresh juicy citra hops, sticky pine, and a nice bitterness. Medium bodied for the alcohol content, nice carbonation and a slight burn with a huge hop bitterness that lingers on the palate. This a hop-heads delight, never would I have thought I would like a wheat-wine so much, could drink this all day, OUTSTANDING!

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

750ml bottle (batch !E030) poured into a Paulaner wheat beer glass.

A - A careful, slow pour yields a crystal clear dark golden color with hints of amber. A low finger of white head sits atop the beer for a long time with endless streams of carbonation bubbles rising from the base of the glass. Sticky sheets of lacing cover the surface of the glass and follows the surface of the beer all the way to the bottom of the glass.

S - Super fresh smelling citrusy hops up front. Very juicy with grapefruit hitting full force. Complementing sweet oranges kick in nicely. This is extremely citrusy...definitely one dimensional, but this is a great smelling beer.

T - Should have saved this one for Sunday morning brunch because this is pretty much straight juice. Grapefruit at the base and totally throughout the experience. Other citrus contributions - lemons and oranges. There is some hoppy bitterness, actually probably quite a bit, but it really just seems to blend into a fresh unsweetened grapefruit flavor. I have to say this is just outstanding if you love a citrus hop experience (which I do). I'm loving this beer.

M - Medium bodied, if anything it borders on the thin side but just barely. Carbonation is medium and very creamy with just the most delicate tingle placed on the tongue. Citrusy, juiciness from start to finish and past...

D - Wheatwine???? Really? Sorry, but there is no way this is a wheatwine. Ithaca says that this can be aged indefinitely (I think this is "standard" Excelsior series language...but still)...no way. I had one of these (same batch) about a month ago and was blown away then...even with an extra month of age on it, the hops haven't faded much, if at all. Honestly, this is one of the best DIPA's I've had...I really don't care what anybody calls this beer. I'm calling for Ithaca to make this a regular, year round beer. This is truly a citrus hops lover's dream.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Thirteen from Ithaca Beer Company