Country Pumpkin - Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: sliverX on 09-13-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Andragos

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

09-18-2013 04:55:08 | More by Andragos
sachie23

10-22-2013 20:00:26 | More by sachie23
woodychandler

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Despite my disgust at seeing so many pumpkin beers being released in late-August, I loaded up and set them aside for October. Here we are!

From the bottle: "Ale brewed with Pumpkin and Spices".

I am not shy about employing a heavy-handed pour and this was one such instance. I quickly ended up with a finger-and-a-half of fizzy, tawny head with immoderate retention. The nose was redolent with cinnamon and clove and this one really smelled like a pumpkin pie!

Oh, man. I remember my first semester of Foods 1 at McCaskey High School, when we baked just about every day and sometimes we made food in an oven. Ha ha. I made a loaf of banana bread for Thanksgiving that was as dense as a short plank, but the pumpkin pie that came out of my group's kitchen was to die for! We were a group of jocks and myself, but those guys were true Americans in the sense that a recipe was only a guideline. Once we had the base recipe set up, they would add things as they saw fit, throwing caution and me to the wind. I was sure we were DIW and girded myself for a failing grade, but when it came out of the oven, it smelled heavenly!

That is of what this beer reminded me. Just the right amount of spices before achieving saturation. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber (SRM = > 13, < 17). Mouthfeel was thin and watery, but the taste was like liquified pumpkin pie. Man, I was getting clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, all dancing a happy little jig on my tongue. Happy, happy, happy.

Speaking of Cinnamon, have I ever mentioned her? She was Momma China's taut, blonde counterpart at Papa Joe's in Ceiba, P. R. in early 1993. They were doing a duo onstage when I walked in, decked out in Pirates gear, and being from near Smithton, PA, they pulled me up onstage with them. Grinding and undulating against me, they slowly peeled off all of my clothes with the exception of my skivvies. Back then, I was Henry Rollins buff, so it was not sad or funny, but the bouncer jumped up when Cinnamon started to pull off my (thankfully) clean undies. After that, I was golden at the club and when Momma China got ready to return to the States, I gave her a wad of Pirates tix and told her to enjoy herself. I know that I had.

Speaking of enjoyment, this was a party in my mouth. I have reviewed other pumpkin ales recently, but this one was hitting the mark. The spices really seemed to get along together, more like a symphony than a discordant jazz jam. This should be made into an air freshener and be misted in my (admittedly) stinky classroom. The finish was dry, thanks to all of the spices. It was not alum dry, but it was plenty dry, believe me! I may stick a candle in the neck of the spent bottle and use it for Hallowe'en.

10-13-2013 06:25:07 | More by woodychandler

11-01-2012 00:44:36 | More by bsuedekum
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
6.3% ABV, Best before Dec notched on label.

Thanks to Chaney for sending this as part of the monster box!

A - Pouring a hazed, dirty apricot color, this orange beer is topped by a cream off-white head that disappears pretty quickly leaving wispy fingers of lace on the pint glass.

S - Country Pumpkin fits the fall beer bill with a big nose of pumpkin and the typical spice rack for a special aromatic treat. The beer keeps it's beer qualities though, featuring biscuit and caramel malt with light traces of earthy hops through the middle.

T - Crisp and refreshing, this ripe pumpkin beer piles on the caramel and biscuit malt with pumpkin and spice following closely. Country Pumpkin is a little hoppier than the usual pumpkin beer though, earthy notes and bitterness pulling through the finish.

M - Medium bodied and crisp-feeling, the spice flourishes over the tongue with moderate carbonation. Dry on the back end, this beer trails off with a nice balance of bitterness to counteract the sweet malt.

O - One of the better, more balanced pumpkin beers out there this season, Ithaca's Country Pumpkin is a refreshing, drinkable pumpkin beer that offers a hefty dose of pumpkin and spice but keeps it real with plenty of malt flavor balanced by subdued hops. A wonderful fall treat!

10-28-2012 19:42:13 | More by BeerFMAndy
schoolboy

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

This is one of the best pumpkins. Without being over the top, this is a well done pumpkin. The aroma is first rate - pumpkin and spice, very nice. The taste is almost a disappointment after such great aroma, a tough act to follow, but it works weak.

The beer looks great in a glass but the head is a little weak. The taste quickly dies down, leaving a void. It also leaves a bit of a bitter boozy aftertaste.

The burps are pretty good, not so much pumpkin pie as jackolantern. This is one to buy when you want a real pumpkin treat.

09-14-2012 23:31:48 | More by schoolboy

rypkr

08-26-2013 00:54:48 | More by rypkr
MistahBeah

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a hazy honey-orange. No head to speak of, even after an aggressive pour. At best I get a thin layer of fizzy bubbles. Nice amount of carbonation

Smells very close to pumpkin pie. Sweet caramel, notes of vanilla, typical spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, ginger, clove. Lots of really nice aromas. Oh yeah, and pumpkin. Smells spicier than sweet. One of the best-smelling pumpkin beers I've had

Taste follows the nose. Dry biscuity malts and sweet caramel malts blend together nicely. Pumpkin throughout. On the mid-palate come the spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg at first then the rest of the aforementioned spices come out. The end result is a nicely-balanced, slightly drying, tasty pumpkin brew. Ends on a sweet note with a hint of vanilla

Feels dry and crisp. A little spicy

Overall I'm impressed by this moreso than any pumpkin beer I've had so far this year. Well-balanced with lots of flavor. Highly recommended

09-07-2013 22:24:13 | More by MistahBeah

trxxpaxxs

10-27-2013 18:53:30 | More by trxxpaxxs
BeerLover99

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

A: shiny orange/amber hue, trace head,

S: lovely all-spice, pumpkin, ginger, citrus jam

T: all-spice, pumpkin, malt, ginger, marmalade, mild grassy finish

M: med body, solid carbonation/smooth mouth

O: WOW! Very nice surprise from my wife. Enjoy Ithaca
and love trying pumpkin brews. This is one of my favorites now.
pumpkin beer fans will love it.

VERY GOOD, TRY SOME!

09-18-2012 16:07:39 | More by BeerLover99
comfortablynirm

10-03-2012 03:14:07 | More by comfortablynirm
PatGreer

10-28-2012 16:05:07 | More by PatGreer
CloudStrife

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

12oz bottle poured into a mini pilsner glass. Best by December.

A: Clear golden color with a 1 finger white head. Lots of visible carbonation. No real lacing.

S: Pretty strong pumpkin and spice aroma. The usual allspice and nutmeg.

T: Loads of spice, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. Still a fairly full pumpkin taste. The malt background keep this thing well balanced. Loses some of its flavor as it warms.

M: Lots of carbonation. Light to medium body. Crisp finish. Very drinkable. Slightly watery.

Overall a great new pumpkin beer. Certainly worth a go-round and I will look for this again in the future.

09-15-2012 19:38:49 | More by CloudStrife
BigCheese

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Six Pack.

A: A standard deep orange, light brown, clear/filtered, decent head, nothing too crazy here.

S: Smell is pretty pungent, standard pumpkin pie spices, some bready yeastyness, some true pumpkin/gourd smell too.

T: Yum. A great blend of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Not overwhelming. Theres also a great pumpkin flavor that so many of these pumpkins lack. Theres enough noble hops in there to remind you that its a beer/ale, and its got a plesant english yeast/bread taste as well. Delicous.

M: Pretty sessionable, not cloying, or overly seasoned. I could have a couple of these. Has a full/rich body though.

O: One of the best 6pack pumpkin ales I've ever had. Definitely the best I've had this season. Similar to Smuttynose's with a little more spices. If you like pumpkin beers you wont be dissapointed.

10-05-2013 15:26:07 | More by BigCheese
ElijahRivera

4.13/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle dated best before December 2013 into my Duvel Nymph Tulip glass.

A- Attractive and seasonally appropriate dark orange/copper body with foamy, off white, one finger head that dies down to just a bubbly film before I got through the song Colossal by Wolfmother. Almost no visible carbonation bubbles rising to the top.

S- The aroma is sweet malty and nutty pumpkin at first. Then the classic pumpkin spices kick in. I'm mostly getting ginger and allspice, but also some cinnamon.

T- I think the nutty pumpkin flavors are not as noticeable as their aromatic counterparts at first, but it comes out more as the beer warms. The ginger, allspice, and cinnamon certainly compliment the luscious malts. A certain balance between sweetness and the spices along with some earthy hops is struck here. And quite striking it is indeed.

M- Mid to full bodied with low carbonation. Very smooth and velvety mouthfeel with a spicy, dry finish. Pleasing combination of chewiness while maintaining crispness.

O- This is my first pumpkin ale of the season, and it was exactly what I was looking for. It is almost like eating the bottom of a pumpkin spice muffin with some hops along for the ride. There is nothing artificial about how it smells or tastes. No flavor is dominant. They all get their turn to shine, and that is how I like my pumpkin ales.

10-07-2013 04:05:39 | More by ElijahRivera
oberon

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap at the Pizza Plant on Transit.Came to the table a dull hazed burnt orange/amber with not much head to speak of.Aromas were lighter with some roasted pumkin and a smattering of spice.The flavors really were great with pumpkin flavors tasting real and they are predominant,lightly roasted with some cardamom and cinnamon underneath.It's not sweet and it tastes like pumpkin...that's how it should be.

10-03-2012 13:16:20 | More by oberon