Country Pumpkin - Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Country Pumpkin is our medium-bodied harvest ale brewed with a medley of flavorful malt, pumpkin puree, Magnum hops and a touch of seasonal spices.The masterful blend of 2-Row, Vienna, Munich, Caramunich and Honey malt with Magnum hops balances the sweet pumpkin with an aroma of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and allspice to create a rich, malty ale for the autumn season.Delight in the deep golden-orange glow while savoring the complex, malt-forward flavors and surprisingly dry finish of our new curcubitaceous ale.

(Beer added by: sliverX on 09-13-2012)

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

4.72/5  rDev +29.7%

4.56/5  rDev +25.3%

4.52/5  rDev +24.2%

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Despite my disgust at seeing so many pumpkin beers being released in late-August, I loaded up and set them aside for October. Here we are!

From the bottle: "Ale brewed with Pumpkin and Spices".

I am not shy about employing a heavy-handed pour and this was one such instance. I quickly ended up with a finger-and-a-half of fizzy, tawny head with immoderate retention. The nose was redolent with cinnamon and clove and this one really smelled like a pumpkin pie!

Oh, man. I remember my first semester of Foods 1 at McCaskey High School, when we baked just about every day and sometimes we made food in an oven. Ha ha. I made a loaf of banana bread for Thanksgiving that was as dense as a short plank, but the pumpkin pie that came out of my group's kitchen was to die for! We were a group of jocks and myself, but those guys were true Americans in the sense that a recipe was only a guideline. Once we had the base recipe set up, they would add things as they saw fit, throwing caution and me to the wind. I was sure we were DIW and girded myself for a failing grade, but when it came out of the oven, it smelled heavenly!

That is of what this beer reminded me. Just the right amount of spices before achieving saturation. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber (SRM = > 13, < 17). Mouthfeel was thin and watery, but the taste was like liquified pumpkin pie. Man, I was getting clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, all dancing a happy little jig on my tongue. Happy, happy, happy.

Speaking of Cinnamon, have I ever mentioned her? She was Momma China's taut, blonde counterpart at Papa Joe's in Ceiba, P. R. in early 1993. They were doing a duo onstage when I walked in, decked out in Pirates gear, and being from near Smithton, PA, they pulled me up onstage with them. Grinding and undulating against me, they slowly peeled off all of my clothes with the exception of my skivvies. Back then, I was Henry Rollins buff, so it was not sad or funny, but the bouncer jumped up when Cinnamon started to pull off my (thankfully) clean undies. After that, I was golden at the club and when Momma China got ready to return to the States, I gave her a wad of Pirates tix and told her to enjoy herself. I know that I had.

Speaking of enjoyment, this was a party in my mouth. I have reviewed other pumpkin ales recently, but this one was hitting the mark. The spices really seemed to get along together, more like a symphony than a discordant jazz jam. This should be made into an air freshener and be misted in my (admittedly) stinky classroom. The finish was dry, thanks to all of the spices. It was not alum dry, but it was plenty dry, believe me! I may stick a candle in the neck of the spent bottle and use it for Hallowe'en.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Had it on tap at The Rusty Barrel. Very nice Pumpkin Ale. Smooth with nice spice mix but lets the pumpkin do most of the talking.

4.43/5  rDev +21.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
6.3% ABV, Best before Dec notched on label.

Thanks to Chaney for sending this as part of the monster box!

A - Pouring a hazed, dirty apricot color, this orange beer is topped by a cream off-white head that disappears pretty quickly leaving wispy fingers of lace on the pint glass.

S - Country Pumpkin fits the fall beer bill with a big nose of pumpkin and the typical spice rack for a special aromatic treat. The beer keeps it's beer qualities though, featuring biscuit and caramel malt with light traces of earthy hops through the middle.

T - Crisp and refreshing, this ripe pumpkin beer piles on the caramel and biscuit malt with pumpkin and spice following closely. Country Pumpkin is a little hoppier than the usual pumpkin beer though, earthy notes and bitterness pulling through the finish.

M - Medium bodied and crisp-feeling, the spice flourishes over the tongue with moderate carbonation. Dry on the back end, this beer trails off with a nice balance of bitterness to counteract the sweet malt.

O - One of the better, more balanced pumpkin beers out there this season, Ithaca's Country Pumpkin is a refreshing, drinkable pumpkin beer that offers a hefty dose of pumpkin and spice but keeps it real with plenty of malt flavor balanced by subdued hops. A wonderful fall treat!

4.43/5  rDev +21.7%

This is one of the best pumpkins. Without being over the top, this is a well done pumpkin. The aroma is first rate - pumpkin and spice, very nice. The taste is almost a disappointment after such great aroma, a tough act to follow, but it works weak.

The beer looks great in a glass but the head is a little weak. The taste quickly dies down, leaving a void. It also leaves a bit of a bitter boozy aftertaste.

The burps are pretty good, not so much pumpkin pie as jackolantern. This is one to buy when you want a real pumpkin treat.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

4.36/5  rDev +19.8%

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a hazy honey-orange. No head to speak of, even after an aggressive pour. At best I get a thin layer of fizzy bubbles. Nice amount of carbonation

Smells very close to pumpkin pie. Sweet caramel, notes of vanilla, typical spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, ginger, clove. Lots of really nice aromas. Oh yeah, and pumpkin. Smells spicier than sweet. One of the best-smelling pumpkin beers I've had

Taste follows the nose. Dry biscuity malts and sweet caramel malts blend together nicely. Pumpkin throughout. On the mid-palate come the spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg at first then the rest of the aforementioned spices come out. The end result is a nicely-balanced, slightly drying, tasty pumpkin brew. Ends on a sweet note with a hint of vanilla

Feels dry and crisp. A little spicy

Overall I'm impressed by this moreso than any pumpkin beer I've had so far this year. Well-balanced with lots of flavor. Highly recommended

Country Pumpkin from Ithaca Beer Company