Country Pumpkin - Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Country Pumpkin is our medium-bodied harvest ale brewed with a medley of flavorful malt, pumpkin puree, Magnum hops and a touch of seasonal spices.The masterful blend of 2-Row, Vienna, Munich, Caramunich and Honey malt with Magnum hops balances the sweet pumpkin with an aroma of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and allspice to create a rich, malty ale for the autumn season.Delight in the deep golden-orange glow while savoring the complex, malt-forward flavors and surprisingly dry finish of our new curcubitaceous ale.

(Beer added by: sliverX on 09-13-2012)

allenson21, Oct 23, 2013

lauries444, Oct 15, 2013

cclark67789, Oct 14, 2013

TonyTalon, Oct 14, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Despite my disgust at seeing so many pumpkin beers being released in late-August, I loaded up and set them aside for October. Here we are!

From the bottle: "Ale brewed with Pumpkin and Spices".

I am not shy about employing a heavy-handed pour and this was one such instance. I quickly ended up with a finger-and-a-half of fizzy, tawny head with immoderate retention. The nose was redolent with cinnamon and clove and this one really smelled like a pumpkin pie!

Oh, man. I remember my first semester of Foods 1 at McCaskey High School, when we baked just about every day and sometimes we made food in an oven. Ha ha. I made a loaf of banana bread for Thanksgiving that was as dense as a short plank, but the pumpkin pie that came out of my group's kitchen was to die for! We were a group of jocks and myself, but those guys were true Americans in the sense that a recipe was only a guideline. Once we had the base recipe set up, they would add things as they saw fit, throwing caution and me to the wind. I was sure we were DIW and girded myself for a failing grade, but when it came out of the oven, it smelled heavenly!

That is of what this beer reminded me. Just the right amount of spices before achieving saturation. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber (SRM = > 13, < 17). Mouthfeel was thin and watery, but the taste was like liquified pumpkin pie. Man, I was getting clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, all dancing a happy little jig on my tongue. Happy, happy, happy.

Speaking of Cinnamon, have I ever mentioned her? She was Momma China's taut, blonde counterpart at Papa Joe's in Ceiba, P. R. in early 1993. They were doing a duo onstage when I walked in, decked out in Pirates gear, and being from near Smithton, PA, they pulled me up onstage with them. Grinding and undulating against me, they slowly peeled off all of my clothes with the exception of my skivvies. Back then, I was Henry Rollins buff, so it was not sad or funny, but the bouncer jumped up when Cinnamon started to pull off my (thankfully) clean undies. After that, I was golden at the club and when Momma China got ready to return to the States, I gave her a wad of Pirates tix and told her to enjoy herself. I know that I had.

Speaking of enjoyment, this was a party in my mouth. I have reviewed other pumpkin ales recently, but this one was hitting the mark. The spices really seemed to get along together, more like a symphony than a discordant jazz jam. This should be made into an air freshener and be misted in my (admittedly) stinky classroom. The finish was dry, thanks to all of the spices. It was not alum dry, but it was plenty dry, believe me! I may stick a candle in the neck of the spent bottle and use it for Hallowe'en.

woodychandler, Oct 13, 2013

AdamElb, Oct 08, 2013

duceswild, Oct 08, 2013

ROGUE16, Oct 07, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle dated best before December 2013 into my Duvel Nymph Tulip glass.

A- Attractive and seasonally appropriate dark orange/copper body with foamy, off white, one finger head that dies down to just a bubbly film before I got through the song Colossal by Wolfmother. Almost no visible carbonation bubbles rising to the top.

S- The aroma is sweet malty and nutty pumpkin at first. Then the classic pumpkin spices kick in. I'm mostly getting ginger and allspice, but also some cinnamon.

T- I think the nutty pumpkin flavors are not as noticeable as their aromatic counterparts at first, but it comes out more as the beer warms. The ginger, allspice, and cinnamon certainly compliment the luscious malts. A certain balance between sweetness and the spices along with some earthy hops is struck here. And quite striking it is indeed.

M- Mid to full bodied with low carbonation. Very smooth and velvety mouthfeel with a spicy, dry finish. Pleasing combination of chewiness while maintaining crispness.

O- This is my first pumpkin ale of the season, and it was exactly what I was looking for. It is almost like eating the bottom of a pumpkin spice muffin with some hops along for the ride. There is nothing artificial about how it smells or tastes. No flavor is dominant. They all get their turn to shine, and that is how I like my pumpkin ales.

ElijahRivera, Oct 07, 2013

jjd315, Oct 06, 2013
3.49/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy copper with a half finger of fizzy head that very quickly dissipates. The nose has strong pumpkin notes. The taste is a bit of a downer considering the potent smell. There is certainly pumpkin in the flavor profile, but the overall taste is light and the body is thin. There is a light, dry bitterness on the finish which is a pleasant way to end.

This offering has some great potential and would be an excellent example of the style if it were more full-bodied.

57md, Oct 05, 2013