1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Gold - Central Waters Brewing Co.

Black GoldBlack Gold

Central Waters Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

In 2012 we entered '1414' in The Great American Beer Festival's Wood and Barrel Aged Strong Stout Category. Awarded the GABF's Gold Medal, we saved some, aged it for 35 months in 25 year-old oak bourbon barrels, and bottled less than 500 in total. Truly one of a kind.

(Beer added by: lunarbrew on 10-13-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 55 | Reviews: 8 | Show All Ratings:
cpetrone84

3.58/5  rDev -23%

Pour is mostly black with a small amount of tight caramel head. Nose is big, wood and bourbon up front with rich fudgy malt. Taste is a bit sweeter, lots of bourbon up front, a fair amount of roasted malt come through mid palate as the fudge takes hold with notes of vanilla and some bourbon and heat through the finish. Body finishes a bit thin with low carbonation and a bit of a slick feel.

02-06-2014 02:34:56 | More by cpetrone84
oline73

Maryland

4.48/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet. You can pick up the alcohol in the nose as soon as you open the bottle. The beer is sweet and a bit hot with strong dark fruit notes that remind me of a dessert wine. I'm really enjoying the bourbon even if it is a bit hot. The finish is sweet and warm and sticks with you.

11-12-2013 04:48:56 | More by oline73
parrotsnest

Washington

For my first review, I wanted to go big or go home!

APPEARANCE: Pitch black, how I like them. Dark tannish head.

SMELL: Wow. That bourbon comes through nicely! Some vanilla, dark chocolate, hints of espresso.

TASTE: Bourbon, fig, vanilla, oak, molasses, caramel, dark bakers chocolate. What separates this from the others, like others have said, is the depth of the bourbon flavor. It's not "HEY CHECK IT OUT, BOURBON TO YOUR FACE!" but more of a "let's explore the complexity of bourbon" type of bourbon. Does that make sense? Doesn't matter, bourbon.

OVERALL: By far the best BA RIS I've had the pleasure of trying. I'm a big fan of BCBS, but this definitely is a cut above the rest. I think the depth the bourbon has in this is world class for sure.

11-12-2013 03:29:21 | More by parrotsnest
yourefragile

District of Columbia

4.26/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle, thanks Steve.

Pours a dark, viscous near black with a minimal khaki head in a ring of bubbles, no lace, etc. Nose of marshmallow, vanilla, light roast, caramel, dark fruit. A little rubbing alcohol cones through as well on the nose as well. Medium thick, smooth body, low carb and a silky hot finish. Flavor follows nose with a hot, roasty base and a vanilla, brown sugar and molasses sweet booziness. Tasty, hot, nothing too special.

11-12-2013 02:10:42 | More by yourefragile
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

12 oz bottle poured into a Central Waters tulip.

A - Still yet intimidating, this slick stout pours without a sound, filling the glass with midnight black beer, covered in a brief skim of tan foam. The high concentration of alcohol banishes the bubbles to the outer edge of the glass where they stay through the beer's enjoyment.

S - Damn near erotic, the aroma of a barrel-aged stout doesn't get much better than Black Gold. Heavy bourbon restrains itself from becoming hot and boozy, instead it incorporates wet oak and vanilla bean notes into the roasted malt profile. Cocoa, dark chocolate, molasses, and caramel maple syrup fill in the gaps for an exceptional, voluptuous aroma, however; give this one a hearty swirl, and the result will be tingling nostrils.

T - Black Gold is exceptionally more subtle in flavor as bourbon takes a back seat to malt depth and complexity. Rich milk chocolate and unsweetened dark chocolate both have their place in this beer, swirling around gripping molasses and charred oak with traces of maple and vanilla on the finish. Oh, and bourbon too - it's there, but not mouth-punching.

M - Thick and warm, Central Waters' Black Gold begins with chewy caramel and chocolate fudge, followed by bitter molasses and finally ending with thinning, warming bourbon - the perfect way to keep such a heavy stout from draping the throat with a burdensome coating.

O - Central Waters' and their fans don't need another GABF gold metal to know these guys do the best barrel-aged stouts (though the bragging rights don't hurt). Practically orgasmic, Black Gold was easily worth it's near $1 per ounce cost as it's robust malt aroma and flavor flawlessly blend with the characteristics imparted by the aged barrels that previously held it. If you have the opportunity to try this beer, savor every drop, it's well worth stopping the world's rotation, however momentarily, to indulge in.

10-17-2013 02:19:13 | More by BeerFMAndy
4DAloveofSTOUT

4.45/5  rDev -4.3%

thanks to TATURBO for the share!

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: black body with thin white ring. Very evident boozy legs on the side of the glass.

Smell: Spicy bourbon. Boatloads of coconut. Honestly the most coconut that I have ever smelled in a barrel aged stout; and yes... more coconut than BCBS Prop. This beer smells way better than BCBS Prop, no doubt. Hint of oak and cinnamon.

Taste: Sweet and robust; hardcore barrel forward stout! Spicy bourbon. Tons of coconut. Bitter bakers cocoa. Hint of cola. Decent amount of oak too. Tastes a bit hot yet, but this will only get better!

Mouthfeel: almost a full bodied beer with low carbonation levels. Moderately boozey, this is a sipping beer for sure!

Overall: Intense barrel notes in both aroma and flavor profile. This beer needs to mellow a little bit, but man alive... CW made another amazing BA stout! Highly recommended!

10-13-2013 17:50:52 | More by 4DAloveofSTOUT
Stevedore

4.63/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Had two pours at the Great Amherst Beer Festival today, 10/12/2013, into my Cigar City snifter glass, which started with one 3-4oz pour from a generous local who had already cracked her bottle.. and we talked her friend into getting into line to pick up another bottle for a couple of us to share! Thanks Dustin for making sure I got a generous pour! All in all I probably got to savor about 7-8oz in the span of a hour before Sixteen was tapped.

Review #235. Label notes: "In 2012, we entered "1414" in the Great American Beer Festival's Wood and Barrel Aged Strong Stout category. Awarded the GABF's Gold Medal, we saved some, aged it for 35 months in 25-year-old oak bourbon barrels, and bottled less than 500 in total. Truly one of a kind."

This beer looked a lot like Fifteen did, actually. Poured a oily black, opaque body with a thick smallish mocha head that dissipated fairly quickly into a thinnish film. Bits and pieces of lacing show up, but this pretty much broadcasts the appearance of a big, big barrel-aged imperial stout. No surprises here.

This smelled delicious. Tons and tons of sweet bourbon, sweet milk chocolate, hints of bitter coffee. Lots of vanilla. Unlike Fifteen, I do not smell any rubbing alcohol, not even as it warms up. In fact, it reminds me of the smell on some of the more highly rated barrel-aged stouts, which I won't name because I don't throw this kind of stuff around lightly. In fact, I'm sniffing the empty bottle right now and its really something to savor.

Chewy milk chocolate soaked in bourbon with vanilla bean. It actually isn't quite that roasty sweet, like some other BA stouts are, but its more of a mellow, but dominant sweet bourbon presence tempered by vanilla. Chocolate, coffee, roast barley. This is well-executed beer that accentuates the very best parts of the bourbon barrel.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, but not super thick.. actually a bit thinner than I'd expect. Carbonation is rather minimal as you'd expect from a beer aged in barrels for nearly 3 years. Still, it is a sipper with a LOT of retrosternal burning as it goes down. Yet it doesn't smell or taste like solvent alcohol. I definitely got a few degrees warmer while drinking this bad boy.

Well, this is evidently a great beer. I await others cracking open their bottles and chiming in before we all make some sort of verdict somewhere down the line, but I will have to say that this is probably the one beer I've had so far that best showcases the quality of the bourbon barrels. The underlying base malts complements the bourbon barrel flavours more than the other way around, even more than Fifteen. Simply put, this is bourbon in a beer that accentuates what I consider to be the most desirable of bourbon flavours. I thought that Fifteen did this well, but BG is definitely a better example. In fact, I found this to be quite a bit more enjoyable than Fifteen, but I really would not recommend that people pound this 12oz bottle by themselves. This is probably a 3-person job. With the release of this beer, the beer formerly known as "1414" has now left the building. And it sure left with a bang.

10-13-2013 02:34:55 | More by Stevedore
lunarbrew

4.78/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Let me start by saying I had only had about 4oz. of this stuff thanks to some awesome locals at the Great Amherst Beer Fest. Normally I wouldn't review beers in such quantities, but I feel like reviews will be sparse. Hopefully my impression of the limited pour will be a good contribution.

Beer pours a black color with hints of gold in the lacing... Ok, not really. Beer was black though, with little to no head. It looked surprisingly viscus for a CW brew.

The smell was pretty outrageous. I had just finished a small pour of Left Bridge Silhouette and it was a hilarious side-by-side. I know one beer was not barrel-aged, but the BG made the other beer smell like nothing and taste like water. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. GB is incredibly barrel-forward. IMO, this beer is pretty different than BBS and Fifteen. Vanilla, toffee, umami, and oak sprang from the glass. There was a little chocolate here, but it wasn't what I first noticed. The beer smelled quite sweet with a little roast in the background. I could tell it would really pack a punch.

The flavor did indeed match the smell. It honestly was one of the more flavorful beers I've tasted in my life. I don't know the abv (I'm guessing around 11% like 1414 and Fifteen), but while there was a bit of heat, the beer went down incredibly smooth. Huge waves of toffee, umami, oak, marshmallow, and caramel. The chocolate which wasn't prominent for me in the smell was very visible on the back-end of this beer. I was left with a delicious fudgey flavor after each sip. This component was very reminiscent of Fifteen.

The mouthfeel was very well executed, from what I could tell. While the beer is a tad thin, it isn't as thin as most CW BA beers. Thank god. Low carbonation, which is representative of the style.

This is undoubtably the best CW beer I've had. It is one of the best BA stouts I've ever had. I was also lucky enough to have a 8oz pour of Sixteen (sneak peek) the same day, which too was a step up from Fifteen, but BG was just so much more flavorful and complex. To me, the flavor profile is akin to Assassin, BT Black Magick, and BASC. It's a shame how few bottles of BG are out there. With the amount of people who popped their bottles on site, I'm guessing somewhere between 250-300 bottles exist, many which are in the hands of non-bas who were running a race hosted by CW during the time of ticket sales. One thing is for sure, Amherst residents are amazingly generous!

10-13-2013 01:10:51 | More by lunarbrew
Black Gold from Central Waters Brewing Co.