Space Ghost Imperial Stout - Central Waters Brewing Co.

Space Ghost Imperial StoutSpace Ghost Imperial Stout

Central Waters Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gus34 on 11-20-2013

3.19/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black body. Small khaki head. Medium collar.

Smell - Milk chocolate. Light peppers. A little coconut and vanilla. That could be left over from the Floyd D'Rue I drank previously.

Taste - Chocolate. Between dark and milk chocolate. Peppers build quickly. Sharp spiciness. Finishes with a nutty caramel malt.

Mouthfeel - Very spicy. Medium carbonation and medium body.

Overall - The pepper doesn't bother me so much, the way I thought it might. It's really just the stout that isn't very impressive.

3.21/5  rDev -22.1%

Woah, I did not realize how strong this would be until I finally opened it. I guess I'm only drinking one beer tonight.

The color is dark as night, with a minimal head consisting of small bubbles. Not an appearance that blew me away.

Smells of roasted coffee beans, chocolate, raisins and booze. Unlike the appearance, this smell marvelous.

Relatively low-key initial taste, with subtle roasted beans dominating the flavor. As the beer lingers the chilli really kicks in, adding a unique and spicy element to this. The spiciness of the chili was so dominating that any notes of alcohol were entirely removed.

This is a beer with attitude allright, and I definitely see the appeal of it. Personally however, it didin't exactly hit the right chords. Mostly due to the relatively subtle taste, besides the chili. The later of which, was incredibly present which I'm sure attracts people with more of a palate for hot spices. Good brew, joke's on me for buying a chili beer and then complain about the chili.

Bought a 22oz growler for $7 at my local liquor store.

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours out black as night with a nice two finger light brown head, Smell is malty. Really smells like a beer that is not as dark. Smells a little sweet with maybe a little peppers but I'm just guessing cause I know it's supposed to have peppers in it. Otherwise I wouldn't think peppers. Taste.is dark malts, dark fruits, and a decent amount of peppers although not overwhelming. Compared to say Huna it seems to have more peppers. It's really not that much hotter but the choice of peppers seems to be such that it just doesn't meld with the stout as well as I would have hoped although it's still OK but not too great. Mouthfeel is medium to a little thin for what I would expect but the peppers are kicking in, Overall the beer is a decent stout with a little too much pepper for my taste but others may love it. I'm just over the hot pepper thing. Not to say it is really hot but just a little too much for the beer as it becomes a little too much than the beet can handle,

After drinking more it seems like they didn't pick the right peppers for taste and a little too hot for my taste. The peppers just don't add to the taste and really make the beer taste worse. Poor choice of peppers.

3.42/5  rDev -17%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Aroma is dark malts, milk stout characteristics and a good hint of heat. The flavor is dark malts, chocolate and a long and deep heat in the finish. The first sip was not too bad as far as heat but after the second it became far too intense, to be expected with an ale made with ghost peppers.

3.51/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dense, dark tan head with bier bubbling through the head. Head has great retention. Toasted malt in the nose. Black. Starts with toasted malt and slight acidity. Toasted, roasted chiles build in intensity. Heat crawls up from below and reaches a nice low-medium heat (about a Jalapeno). Finish is roasted chiles and toasted malt.

Overall, pretty nice. The heat is nice, but I would like more (as someone who eats chiles daily).

3.56/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I like chili beers, but there wasn't enough else here to keep this interesting/in balance. If you like a straight chili bomb this will probably work for you, but I think this would be a lot better if they dialed the chili back about 25%

3.57/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: black with a modest tan head. Decent retention and easily revived.
S: not particularly strong – I get black patent malt and some bittersweet chocolate.
T: starts with roasted/black malt combo, followed by a sharp spicyness. A moderate sweetness cuts into the spice a bit and as it warms some smokeyness becomes apparent - not sure if it is malt or chile. Spice lingers on the finish.
M: body is thick with heavy fine carbonation.

I like a good chile beer, but as a stout this one had a bit too much pepper for me. The stout underneath didn’t do that much for me either. Not bad, but not something I’d buy again.

3.64/5  rDev -11.7%

From notes on 4/26/14

Bought a bomber at the central waters. Actually, not that bad. Not my cup of tea, but ok. Decent stout, with a slight pepperyness.

3.75/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to queens1130 for sharing this one at jmgrub's tasting.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, and slight chile pepper aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and chile flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness and chile heat on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice chile presence that is not all that intense and works well with the base beer.

3.77/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Scent of chocolate, roasted malts, earth, alcohol and peppers. Taste of dry peppers, light smoke, roasted malts, chocolate and earth. The body seems a little light for the alcohol content. Balanced well and easy to drink with the lighter body.

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Didn't find this beer to be overly hot. Got a taste of the chilis that warmed the palate on my first few sips, but the went away quick. Beer lacks the sweetness od some Imperial stouts, which would have been nice here. That blended with more chili would be great. Will try again as I hear the spiciness varies by bottle.

3.83/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Black but with translucent deep hazelnut & brown highlights when light hits the edges. Nice tight almond colored head, nice sheets of lacing, poor retention however the "head" never really leaves. S: The smell is lovely, very earthy. Robust, dirt, mushrooms, coffee, dried peppers that bring up a raisin-y quality. Chocolate.
T: Umami, soy sauce. Chocolate and roast followed quickly by a complex blend of earth, pepper, roast, and than chili pepper - but great fruity chili pepper flavor. As the beer clears the palate there is your spice, a hit at the back of the throat, bam! Warming spice, sharp, hot, quick, its over.
M: Appropriatly full and rich. Spot on.
O: I like this beer a lot. It is a great package. Roast, Spice, Sweetness, full bodied enjoyment with a kick. Ultimatley just slightly un-balanced in the direction of spice.

3.83/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had this on tap at CW 17. The peppers make this beer way too hot. Guessing with some age the peppers would mellow out. At this time no good in my opinion.

Side note I put sriracha on a lot of food and have habanero flakes to go on my pizza.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a tulip.

A-Pours dark black, small dark tan head with some lacing and small lingering bubbles.

S-Mild, faint roasted malts and chocolate, the spice reminds me of mexican chocolate cookies with the hint of pepper. Not overly impressive but still pleasant, more like CW's Satin Solstice with a kick.

T-Hits you with spice right away, my nose got tingly, which slowly moved to my lips and throat. Very heat forward but it blends slowly and quite deliciously to chocolate malts and a bit of hop bitterness. Spice isn't overwhelming, it is very complimentary to the underlying beer.

M-A bit thin but that may be due to the pepper oils. Otherwise it's like a typical imperial stout, a bit dry.

O-One of the better spice beers I've had but the underlying elements aren't anything radically different from the other standard CW stouts. Not a bad thing, but was hoping for something a bit different overall.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

This pours a pitch black color with a decent brown head. Despite the description, the aroma is mostly just malty with no noticeable scent of peppers. The taste is bold and robust like any stout with a tingly spice taste that makes an interesting taste without being spicy hot.

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%

A - the appearance is dark brown-black with a nice mocha head that sticks a little bit but doesn't leave great lacing
S - dark malts, char, some kind of off smell coming from the dark malts + chili peppers I think that's a little off putting
T - At first roasty dark imperial stout, but then the chili pepper kicks in, nice and balanced
M - medium heavy mouthfeel, alc covered, spiciness builds up over time, after taste is spicy and roasty dark malts
O - Not as well balanced as some, but it has a really nice balance of dark roasty flavors and chili pepper spice nonetheless. I probably wouldn't buy it again, mostly because Prairie Bomb is so available where I'm from.

3.96/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to Jeff for this one. 22oz. bomber into a Cigar City snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a moderately thick, .5 finger mocha colored head with low retention. Beer is a dense, slick, opaque black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with little stick and thin legs. Just above average.

Nose is fudge, cocoa powder, chocolate, roasted malt and coffee. Very rich and dense but no real pepper spiciness to speak of. Still nice though.

Opens cocoa powder, fudge, chocolate, soy sauce and spice. Some roast and more fudge sweetness and bakers chocolate in the middle with a building heat that really peaks at the end. Finishes mellow and soft with more spice. Sweet finish with a heat that lingers well after the beer is gone.

Full bodied with low carbonation. Dense and rich in the mouth and goes down spicy. Finishes soft with a sticky, messy aftertaste. Finish and aftertaste are a bit weird but the body is fantastic.

There are a bunch of chile-infused stouts out there but this is the spiciest one that I've come across by a large margin. Worth trying if you're into that kind of thing, but otherwise this beer is also quite complex.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Poured into a CW snifter from the bottle, the beer produced a dense mocha colored head made of tiny bubbles so tightly nit you could stand a quarter on the top. The foam had good retention, leaving behind a thin layer of lacing that looks like hot cocoa. The beer is pitch black and opaque.

S: Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, sweet caramel malt aroma all fairly mellow, nothing super pungent. Notes of vegetal or green leaf, maybe the peppers? The aroma reminds me of a mellow version of 16 without the barrel.

T: Robust chocolate flavor with dark chocolate, bakers chocolate and cocoa. Toffee and caramel with toast and bread crust malt flavors. Bitterness is moderate, but the balance is on the malt side and slightly sweet. Also getting a nutty flavor. The peppers blend nicely with the chocolate but it's more of a mouthfeel then a taste.

M: A large chewy body in this beer. Moderate carbonation and big dose of heat from the peppers. The heat feels like it mixes with the alcohol warming in the chest, also getting some on the tongue and lips. Doesn't linger just keeps you from drinking it too quickly. Very creamy also. Nice and complex!

O: No date on the bottle, which I can give a pass to because it's a big stout however I would still like to see it. Tasty beer with amazing mouthfeel,The aroma was lacking a bit in my opinion, but you can't win 'em all.

Amazing. Great body and flavor from the imperial stout, with a serious, but underlying pepper burn that never overpowers, but definitely builds some heat as you sip.

Dark brown body with a sea foam, beige head. Aromas of dark roast, chocolate, malt, peppers. The peppers are far more present in the flavor. Medium bodied, finishing with a spicy kick. Tasty. Good for sharing several ways.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

22 oz bottle

black in color, with tan head. roasty aroma, a little smokey. some smoke in the taste too - fairly dry, with a mouth tingling peppery aftertaste. thicker body.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

Honestly, when I saw the 6.19 price tag on this bomber, I about choked on my own spittle. From a world-class brewery a probably great, big stout? One of many reasons I love CW. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

My eleven year old professionally pours this dark stout, moderate carbonation. Nose betrays there might be chile of some type in the beer: sweet milk chocolate & mild chile heat comes up the middle. Just what I was hoping for.

Space Ghost cries out for a late-boil addition of Pepto-Bismol. First impression: this is thicker, smarmier than any of Central Waters' beers (excepting the Anniversary brews), Good BWCA mud thick. Taste mimics the nose: chiles take the top of the heap though & suck most of the oxygen out of the beer. Mild sweet malts, milk chocolate, mostly drowned roast. But chile is the story here, & it's mostly felt right in the fundus. The richness of the base makes is a pleasure to suck down.

Hard to judge, because I believe the ghost peppers are masking a lot of what the base beer might bring to the House Party. Very good, but I'm going to stick one of these away & revisit in 6-9 months. I've bet it's better then.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with generally appealing label art and unbranded pry-off pressure cap acquired from generous Duff27 (thanks again!) and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery, which has earned my respect. Reviewed as an imperial stout.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm considerably over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger wide head of khaki colour. Has a shiny sheen of a complexion and an even consistency. Ha some nice creaminess, but I do want more. Pretty rich. I can coax some lacing out of it by tilting the glass, but little sticks. Unfortunately, head retention is bad - maybe 40 seconds at best, though there is a floater ring which sticks around a bit longer.

Body colour is - predictably - an opaque solid black. Quite dark; almost a jet black. No floating yeast particles are visible. Appears aptly carbonated.

It's a good appearance for an imperial stout and I'm looking forward to the first sip. That said, it's far from unique for the style. Still, the head is pretty impressive - I just wish it'd stick around longer.

Sm: The chili notes are fused right into the imperial stout build to the extent that I have trouble identifying distinct notes. Chili pepper flesh, dark malts, wisps of milk chocolate, chocolate malts, and cream. Shockingly timid considering ghost peppers were used. It's average in strength. I wouldn't say it's a subtle aroma per se - just a reticent one - but I find it appealing for what it is.

No hop profile, yeast character, or alcohol is detectable. No off-notes. Heat seems pretty tame for a beer brewed with chilis. I'm looking forward to the first sip.

T: The heat is quite tame considering the chilis used, and doesn't really manifest substantially until the aftertaste - though you do start to notice it right on the finish. It doesn't leave me quenching a second beverage, and I have no trouble returning to it moments later for the next sip.

I admit I'm surprised how well the heat is integrated, though the build is still shy of gestalt. I do think the flavour profile is shockingly cohesive for an imperial stout brewed with chili peppers. The heat fits in nicely to the dark malt/chocolate malt foundation, and never quite fully obscures the subtleties hidden in the flavour profile; in spite of the light burn I can still find cream, chocolate, a touch of caramel, and near-perfect sweetness. Cocoa powder? Sure.

This reminds me of Copper Kettle's Mexican Chocolate Stout, which is a really good thing. I hate to get too comparative, but I'm not quite sure this is as well balanced - though that's nitpicky, because it's incredibly difficult to manage balance when you're working with ghost peppers, to the point that many brewers seem to abandon balance altogether (see Twisted Pine). As it warms, I'm picking up on a kiss of faint coffee replete with succulent mocha cream. As is often the case in imperial stouts, roastiness is sorely missed here.

I'm really liking this beer, and it's getting better and better as it warms. It's not necessarily a complex imperial stout (at least not to compared to behemoths like The Abyss or Narke's Stormaktsporter), but the careful balance and impressive subtlety is hard to ignore - I mean who manages subtlety in a ghost pepper brew? Certainly a nuanced beer, if not an intricate one. I'm impressed.

No hop character, alcohol, or yeast character comes through.

Mf: Has a mild warmth from the chili pepper. Hits the sweet spot in terms of creaminess, smoothness, and wetness, generating a comforting approachable presence on the palate. (How many chili beers are "comforting?). Good medium body and apt thickness. It's surprisingly soft and silky. Great execution across the board here, though the carbonation isn't quite perfect; I have to nitpick to find criticisms of this beer. Overall, it's just a great texture for this beer's taste, and it's clear the brewers took the time to carefully tailor specific elements of the texture to the taste. Pay close attention to the feel of the finish right as the core flavours expire - what a fucking satisfying close to a lovely flavour structure.

Not oily, gushed, boozy, hot (in an alcoholic sense), astringent, or harsh.

Dr: For a 12% chili imperial stout, it's damn drinkable. Finishing this bottle will be real treat. Central Waters surpassed my high expectations and delivered an impressively well balanced brew in a difficult to execute style. I'd highly recommend this to friends and trade partners and I'm extremely glad I got the opportunity to try this. Easily one of the best beers involving chilis I've ever had. Brilliant work from Central Waters.

Not recommended to age.

Would pair well with pie and fudge. Maybe fajita burritos?

Low A-

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Short lived mocha head. Dark brown/black body. Thin collar. Minimal splotchy lacing.

Sweet chili aroma.

Very balanced on the forefront then dives into some sharp but not overpowering chili heat. For reason I sense raspberries in here? Would guess around 10%abv

Big chewy mouthfeel, medium carbonation. They nailed it.

Very nicely done ghost pepper impy stout. Don't know if I would be able to finish a bomber by myself but would be great to share. Thanks for the share TATURBO.

4.06/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a touch thicker than most CW stouts. Black with a couple fingers khaki head with a slight reddish tint.

Aroma is enticing. Milky Chocolate malts, a bit of sugary sweetness and a subtle pepper note.

The taste is chocolate malts supported by a unique tingling spicyness. Not terriblely complex beyond those two flavors. I don't find the spice to be particular hot. Just a lingering warmth.

Mouthfeel is medium but creamy and coating. Medium carbonation.

Overall a very nice beer. Exceptional value at about $6, and the ghost chilis are well integrated.

Space Ghost Imperial Stout from Central Waters Brewing Co.