Brewer's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout - Central Waters Brewing Co.

Brewer's Reserve Bourbon Barrel StoutBrewer's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout

Central Waters Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

American-style stout aged for 1 year in used 12 year bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: Skidz on 05-28-2004)

HopsJunkiedotcom, Jun 25, 2012

Ruger44, Jun 25, 2012

FrankShirley, Jun 25, 2012

smutty33, Jun 19, 2012

travMI13, Jun 18, 2012

s1ckboy, Jun 16, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A: another ugly looking beer from CW. Dark reddish brown, not completely opaque, but not transparent either. Almost no head. Not much lacing.

S: Bourbon, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, brown sugar, roasted malt, excellent smell!

T: Tastes great. Oak, vanilla, bourbon, coffee, chocolate, brown sugar, molasses, and some hop bitterness in the finish. Gets a 5 from me.

M: Similar to BBBW, this stout also is too thin and flat.

O: I don't like how this beer feels in my mouth, but it smells and tastes great. It has much less booziness compared to the BBBW. Great brew!

sukwonee, Jun 15, 2012

BeRanger, Jun 14, 2012
4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

2011 Vintage Received in trade from JoeyBeerBelly, thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a solid black color without much of a head, just spotty bubbles. This smells great! Subtle vanilla and oak barrel notes meld nicely with a lightly roasted caramel and chocolate base. It shouldn't be there, but I swear I'm getting peanut butter on the nose. Bits of bourbon round it all out quite nicely. Taste is roasty and chocolate up front that slowly fades to vanilla and oak. Mild bourbon comes in and lingers with some caramel and chocolate long after each sip. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation and a slick sweet mouthfeel. Great Stout, and it smells wonderful. Could use a bit more roast and a few more bubbles, but I don't mind it a bit as is.

johnnnniee, Jun 14, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +17%

2011 batch in a 12 oz brown bottle. Served in a Goose Island Belgian Tulip (silver goose).

Dark brown with garnet highlights. Not much head, it falls to a ring.

OMG the smell is the best I have ever experienced. It is the most intense, complex blend ever. I am struggling to wrap my brain around all the aromas mixed together. First, the blast of bourbon then vanilla and toffee, molasses, caramel and brown sugar. Booze with dark fruits and some oak. Fig, date, and plum. I can't believe how great this smells.

Each sip is a pool of concentrated flavor swirling around my tongue. This is almost better than the smell if that is even possible. The bourbon, vanilla, caramel, toffee, molasses, dark fruits and booze continue on and on leading one to take the sips in increasingly rapid bursts. This is not the way to sample an imperial stout but oh well.

The mouthfeel is like velvet. Fine carbonation that lasts to the final sip.

Overall: At this price point this is the best value on the planet. I am kicking myself for not buying all I could get my hands on because it's gone now. I only got two or three four packs. I can't wait until next year's release. Central Waters knocked this style out of the park.

312HopBomb, Jun 06, 2012

bifrost17, Jun 05, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle (2012 vintage) into tulip glass. Pours a bright amber color with a small white head that dissispated righ before you could say awww! Aromas are of ripe figs, sugars, cereal grains, and booze. Flavor was quite disappointing for me (which led me to think it might have been infected) - almost could detect some sweet cereal grains, bourbon yet a little "watered down". Grainy with almost a rye bread like flavor as well as some dark fruit flavors. The backfinish was warm and boozy. Mouthfeel is decent throughout. Overall, a disappointing beer despite its high ratings IMO.

CuriousMonk, Jun 04, 2012

klipper, Jun 04, 2012

metalgdog, Jun 04, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured from bottle into a snifter. 2011 vintage. Thanks pantanap.

A - pretty standard deep black with light brown head

S - bourbon is dominant with some roast backing it up

T - like the nose, bourbon is the highlight which I want in beers of this style. Drinkable for the abv with a intermingling of roast and chocolate.

M - thin for a -bal stout. Perhaps a touch more carbonation than I would like.

O - as far as barrel aged stouts go I'd have to put this smack dab in the middle. Being thin and having a boozy character the main detriments.

Enish266, Jun 03, 2012

leodarko, Jun 02, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

BearsDitkaBears, May 28, 2012

jrfehon33, May 28, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

12 oz. bottle from '11

A: Dark black color that left a nice lingering brown head. Looked fairly heavy and left a nice lace around the glass.

S: Bourbon smell was quite noticed. Smelled of oak, chocolate. It was devine!

T: Bottle was still on the hot side, which was disappointing, but the flavor of the bourbon was quality. For sure, a redeeming factor.

M: I expected some alcohol flavor, but this wasn't as mellowed out as I was hoping. I'm thinking it would have been better after the cellar for a few more months.

O: I liked this much more than Peruvian Morning and it probably would have been rated higher if aged a bit more in the feel/taste areas. Smelled great though. I'd like to try it again after some integration.

Duffman929, May 27, 2012

Jakers90, May 25, 2012

FishPondManager, May 23, 2012
4.23/5  rDev 0%

A - Pitch black, zero light gets through. Cream colored head quickly dissipates to a thin film

S - Smells very inviting, a combination of sweet bourbon, vanilla, chocolate and fresh roasted coffee beans.

T - Very dry and roasted coffee flavors. Bourbon is not as prevalent as it was in the aroma, but the sweetness is still there.

M - Surprisingly thin. Definitely not as thick as I was expecting.

O - Not the behemoth I thought I was getting myself into, but still a tasty stout.

ChimRichels, May 21, 2012

avaldivia, May 19, 2012

sludgegnome, May 17, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

jaidenjb, May 16, 2012
Brewer's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout from Central Waters Brewing Co.