Mudpuppy Porter - Central Waters Brewing Co.

Mudpuppy PorterMudpuppy Porter

Central Waters Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-22-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mudpuppy Porter Alström Bros

Happy_Camper, Apr 25, 2012

Alexincj7, Jul 30, 2014

npendres, May 05, 2013
1.73/5  rDev -55.1%

oooh not so happy with this so very unfortunately. Diaceytl (sic?) characeristics brusquley intrude. Me no likey. I'm certain that there are other good qualities to this brew, but for me the butterscotch stuff supecedes. Does pour with a nice fine head and a bit o lace. Opaque brownish black. and dat be all I say. good bye.

drpimento, Apr 23, 2008

dmartin118, Nov 10, 2012

JellyJacket, Jan 25, 2013
2.05/5  rDev -46.8%

Next to no head with an admittedly weak pour. Looks like porter. The smell has a slight porter smell to it. Initial taste has a hint of porter mixed with water and vegetation. Succesive sips prove less rewarding. Mouthfeel is similar to Budweiser, not what one would expect from a porter. I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle, as generally I'm not too far of the mark in my opinion. I don't dump beer down the drain, but I was glad when I was finished with this one and moving on to something else.

anglagard1, Feb 27, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

kdwruck, Jul 09, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

atrocity, May 30, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

jsh420, Sep 28, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

12 oz bottle. It pours a ruby-hued deep brown color with a finger of light tan head. There is a moderate carbonation in there and the clarity appears to be fairly good, but the darkness makes it hard to tell. I find a light chocolate and roast with a ton of lacto sweetness and some butterscotch notes as well. The flavor is again very butterscotch sweet with noticeable lacto sweetness, with a more subdued chocolate, a slight sharpness from roast that melds well with a solid hop bitterness on the finish. My initial thought on this one was the it was rife with diacetyl, but I really think it is an overpowering lacto character that I am getting. Either way, it is not me favorite. Mouthfeel is on the light end of moderate with a moderate carbonation. Overall, I just can't get past the overriding lactose sugar quality I am finding. It overpowers the brew and really gets in the way of the chocolate and roast notes I want to find. I would not get this one again.

kmpitz2, Sep 20, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

12oz bottle- 26813 Julian date, so September 25, 2013 bottling date, so about 2 1/2 months old, not out of ordinary for a porter. Poured into a wine glass today, 12/10/2013 as part of my endeavor to continue exploring local shelf porter options.

Pours a very nice dark brown body, quite opaque and dark, with a fluffy thick tan head that retains quite well, leaving tons of lacing all over the glass. Looks very much the part of a porter, but with a very nice and pleasing head.

Smells... unpleasantly metallic. Its just a one note sharp metallic nose, with nothing else going on. Its not very pleasant at all. Even when it warms up, the nose just isn't all that pleasant.

Doesn't taste anything like the nose. Pleasantly roasty, with a bit of coffee flavours and some roasty earthy bitterness on the back end. Pretty decent flavour profile, not too complex, but not super intense either. Drinkable, not phenomenal.

Thinner body as expected of a Central Waters brew, good carbonation, sessionable at its 5.5% ABV which hides away. Earthy mild bitter aftertaste. Not difficult to drink at all.

Below average porter. It smells undrinkable, though it ends up being drinkable with a decent flavour profile. I enjoy Central Waters brews, especially their Brewer's Reserve series, but man, that smell is just borderline drain-pour.

Stevedore, Dec 11, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a deep dark chestnut brown that appears pitch black in the glass with faint mahogany edges when held to a light source. Completely opaque with a two finger frothy, yellowish beige head that has excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that coats the glass with huge chunks of soapy lacing.

Roasted dark malt aroma with hints of toast, caramel, dark chocolate and toffee. Slightly smokey with faint earthy hops.

Medium bodied and very roasty up front with lots of toasty burnt malt notes along with hints of smoke, rosted coffee bean and chocolate. There is an earthy bitterness from the hops that compliments the slightly acrid roasted/burnt malt flavor. This is slowly countered mid-palate by a lactic cream profile as well as some silky chocolate, hazelnut and toast. Very dry throughout with a bitter acrid finish. A bit too one dimensional and overly acrid/roasted for my liking making it tough to drink down.

corby112, Jan 10, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance
Well this has to be the first beer I've ever poured and received absolutely no head. Even with a straight pour and swirling of the bottle. Weird. Hopefully I didn't get a bad bottle. Dark brown body that shines a deep maroon when held up to the light.

Aroma
Chocolate roasted malt is the big player. Slight hoppiness for undertones.

Flavor
Chocolate roasted malt with a bittering hoppiniss in the midtaste. Sweet malty finish. I do get a bit of a bitter soapy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel
Carbonation is non-existent. Medium body. Very smooth drinker.

Drinkability/Overall Impression
No carbonation. No head. Nice flavor but with a soapy aftertaste (glass was clean, used the same to review Gumballhead earlier tonight and rinsed thoroughly with water in between)? This has to be a bad bottle. I'll be running out to the store tomorrow to pick up another bottle, but until I've experienced otherwise I can't give this a good review.

I'll have an edited review up by Friday with the second bottle. Hopefully for the better.

ebit, Apr 17, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured into my brewery snifter, brownish/ black color, light brown head, hint of light peaks through. smells of grain, coffee, burnt sugar.. this beer yearns for a barrel addition.. Taste is about the same as the smell only with a mild sarsaparilla characteristic. mouth feel is a little on the thin side but has a nice creaminess to it as it finishes. Overall, this beer is sessionable but not the best offering ive had from CW.

ThirstyHerf, Jan 26, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

Bottled August (I assume 2010).

Pours a dark reddish brown with an ample light-tan head that slowly recedes, leaving good lacing. Looks a bit light for a porter, but otherwise good.

Smells good, but kinda funny for a porter. Lots of sweet dark caramel malts, a hint of chocolate, some dark fruits (prunes) and a hefty dose of yeast that comes through late. I get none of the roasted aromas I expect, and despite the bottle claiming they used lots of hops, I don't catch a whiff of them. Smells more like a doppelbock than a porter, with that sweet breadiness. I'm conflicted - I kinda like the smell, but they say this is a porter. And for a porter, it doesn't smell even close to right.

Taste comes through sweet and malty again. A bit more roasted flavors than there were in the smell, and it's slightly less sweet than the nose would suggest. There's a hint of bitterness, but it quickly fades away. This beer has no bite, no kick. It just tastes thin and rather simple.

Mouthfeel is okay, but (yeah, I gotta say it again) it just ain't right. Body is medium-light, light carbonation. Could use more body and more carbonation.

This is a weird beer. To me, it drinks like a hybrid between a doppelbock and a porter. The flavors are thin and subdued. Not a big fan.

zeledonia, Apr 23, 2011

oso, Mar 18, 2014

Sconi_tom, Mar 14, 2014

IdrinkGas, Jan 05, 2012

dads_basement, Jun 29, 2014

slimntubbs, Jan 30, 2012

Thorpe429, Sep 17, 2013

This beer pours a dark brown color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes slowly leaving sticky lacing. The aroma is of roasted malt, cream, and a hint of hops. It is very faint though...too faint really. The taste is a little stronger, but still weak for a porter. If I concentrate really hard I can pick up the roasted malt and some cream, and although it is nice it is almost not worth the work. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a less than smooth texture. Overall, this beer is a mild disappointment. I enjoy spending time breaking down a beer, and finding all kinds of nuances in it. But this beer seems like all I'm doing is breaking the beer down without finding anything. I guess this beer isn't bad, and I wouldn't complain to much if I had to drink it again, but I won't be buying it again.

KarlHungus, Jul 07, 2009

Bluesman2383, Sep 14, 2014

Quite a fine looking porter here. Almost pitch black, could I say pitch brown? A nice thick chewy head of tan has great retention therefore leaving a thickly coating lace down my GLBC CA snifter.

Roasty chocolate aromas with a slight vanilla lingering. Some blackberry as well but not much else. Nothing overly olfactor.

Really lacks complexity and substantial flavor. Roasted chocolate malt, vanilla, caramel, some hop bitterness and unspecified black fruits. Really disspointed. Maybe a bad bottle?

Medium mouth with some bitterness on the short finish. Would like to try again too see if I may have had a bad bottle.

mcallister, Jul 12, 2007
Mudpuppy Porter from Central Waters Brewing Co.