Brewhouse Coffee Stout - Central Waters Brewing Co.

Brewhouse Coffee StoutBrewhouse Coffee Stout

Central Waters Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2007)

1424IpA, Oct 23, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Thanks to Jerz for sharing this beer. I believe he got it as an extra from jojomdma.

A - Pours black, with about a finger width of head and had very nice lacing.

S - Smell is of a deep coffee with some espresso in there. There's plenty of roast, and I get just a faint hint of ash and/or charcoal.

T - the taste is similar to the nose, but I swear I got a tinge of a metallic taste at first. It left as the beer opened up a bit, though. Coffee and the roast is the overriding taste in this beer.

M - Medium body and high carbonation...slightly off for a stout, but it works, I guess, with the coffee flavor.

D - OK on drinkability. Glad I got to try it, but I'll stick with Speedway Stout if I want a coffee-style stout.

Kaiser81, May 24, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

10/2010 bottle purchased at Zipp's.

Pours dark brown, not-quite-black with a big tan head that is brief, but easily revived. Smell is mostly chocolate malt along with some oat mustyness. Coffee is a somewhat light here and there's also a bit of a canned corn aroma. Flavor shows coffee a little better, with more of a cold-pressed quality. There's also quite a bit of bitter dark chocolate flavor and a little roastyness. The consistency is somewhere between a typical American Stout and an RIS, with heavy but fine carbonation.

Maybe this is better fresh, but the coffee seemed muddled and I picked up a few ''off" notes, especially in the smell. Decent, but was expecting better. Will need to try again next year.

GeezLynn, Jan 28, 2011

jhillwastaken, Oct 13, 2013

Rand_ale_Thor, Jul 29, 2013

Piddmeista, Nov 26, 2013

Boston_Steve, Jul 31, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Thanks Hawks10 for this one!

Bottled on Oct 2010

A - Dark black with a nice khaki head that fizzes out rather sooner than I'd like.

S - Coffee up front, dark chocolate, espresso, dark malts.

T - Coffee is the star, but not in the way that I was hoping. You can taste it, but it's not really prominent in flavor. More chocolate and malts to follow.

M - This was easy to put down, felt great in the mouth. Right amount of carbonation with a simple body.

O - I would love to revisit a fresher batch of this. Eight months I believe has probably taken away the coffee presence that it once had. Overall I enjoyed this though.

Bennettrox, May 26, 2011

JMBSH, Jun 10, 2012

jplopez21, Sep 30, 2013

bmony26, Jul 26, 2013

LoveStout, Jan 13, 2014

AaronBurr, Aug 21, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Thanks to Flyer for splitting this with SurlySober and me.

This beer struck me in appearance as more of a brown ale, but maybe "coffee brown ale" doesn't roll off the tongue as well as "coffee stout." It was brown and translucent, with abundant off-white head. Unlike most beers with coffee-notes, this beer really tastes like coffee! A lot of beers with coffee flavor taste like an approximation of coffee, and are sweet, so they come off tasting to me like coffee-flavored ice cream rather than actual coffee. This one tastes like coffee...period. Smell is lots of coffee, and not much else, maybe some caramel malt. Mouthfeel was unremarkable, but good.

I would recommend this beer. I thought it quite nice.

BeerBelcher, Apr 23, 2008

Satan70, Nov 24, 2013

XmnwildX12, Nov 22, 2013

FriedCheeseCurds, Jul 16, 2014
3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle courtesy of whartontallboy. Bottled in February of what I assume was from last year. Usually I like my coffee beers fresh, so let's see.

Pours is super dark brown, almost black, but I can see some brown hues when held up to the light. Small minimal head that immediately recedes to next to nothing head wise. Slight agitation initiates a small brown head that leaves some spotty lacing.

Aromas begins with no surprise, coffee, but immediately and surprisingly, I get a large dose of dark bitter chocolate and equal milk chocolate. Black coffee is returns to overtake the dominant smell.

The tastes begin just like the nose, plenty of coffee on the front end with a bit of roasted malt in the middle, along with an ever so slight sweetness of chocolate. The finish is even more coffee along with a slight bitterness. Flavor is pretty straight-forward and less bitter and coffee dominant compared to what I was expecting, hoping for. Tastes more like black iced coffee with sugar than beer to be honest, good for some but not really how I like my coffee accented beers.

The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with a low to moderate level of carbonation. I would have guessed 6-7% ABV but not over 8. ABV is masked amazingly bu drinks mildly watered-down and light to be honest. I don't mind it because it works with the coffee flavor profile, but it falls a tad short for me here.

Overall, this was a pretty high quality coffee beer, but nothing amazing by any means. Even if this was fresh I do not think the flavor profile would have been remarkably different. Mouthfeel is still a lacking and there really seems to be a something lacking. No problems what-so-ever, but nothing world-beating. Would I turn it down, heck no, will I seek it out again, doubtful. After just having the Wake-Up Call Imperial Porter from Grand Teton over the holidays, this just falls short in the Coffee beer category.

claspada, Jan 05, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Hazy, dark reddish-brown color with a peripheral ring of golden brown bubbles. Light lacing remains on the glass and fine sediment is plentiful.

S: Medium-dark roast and unctuous dairy notes outpace actual coffee which only makes a minor contribution. Other minor characteristics include fennel seed and green herbaceousness. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins dry, with fairly husky roasted malt and earthy hop aromatics. Acidity is mild, keeping within appropriate boundaries. Flavors are dark and unctuous in the middle, slightly touched by carbonic acid but absent of any fruity qualities. The finish is kicked off with a mild briny thread that gives way to dry coffee-affected bitterness. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium to thick viscosity, slightly syrupy and acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Although this stout boasts of coffee presence on the label, it takes a metered and restrained approach to its execution. As a result this appears to be a respectable beer in which coffee is just one well-integrated component. The most troubling feature proves to be the pallid appearance, which is occasionally encountered in the field of strong stouts.

beagle75, Dec 04, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with orange-red label, fun label art, and a standard unbranded brass pry-off cap acquired in a trade with the gracious Duff27 (thanks again, buddy!) and served into Cantillon stemware in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high given the brewery (which has made some beers I've quite enjoyed) and its current rating. Reviewed as a coffee stout becuase it identifies as such in the name and on the label. No ABV is listed on the bottle. 2013 vintage.

Served chilled - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of yellow-khaki colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Not much frothiness. Head retention is below average - about 1 minute. Little lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a very dark brown-black; the bottom of the glass is a cola-brown. It's certainly not a jet black. Opaque. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's right on the money for the style. The head colour is a bit atypical of the style, but I've seen this hue in other Central Waters stouts. Not unique or special, but there are no overt flaws. I'm really looking forward to it.

Sm: Definite coffee, with a bit of roast and also some capuccino-like cream; the cream is a bit too too much in my opinion, and I'd like more coffee roast. Chocolate malt. Dark malts. Cream. A hint of vanilla. On the sweeter side. Coffee is definitely dominant. But it doesn't seem to have the depth of coffee that the best coffee stouts do, and seems like iced coffee or cold-brew coffee, not like actual hot roasty donut-shop coffee. I hope to stand corrected after tasting it. A pleasant aroma of mild to moderate strength.

No yeast character, alcohol, or hop character is detectable. There are no off-flavours.

T: Has a pleasant creamy open before the coffee hits. The coffee brings your usual coffee been/coffee grain notes with a hint of roast and sweetening cream/condensed milk. Dark malts and chocolate malts fill out the second act and body nicely. There's some coffee bitterness as well. A hint of vanilla with some accompanying sweetness. Any hop presence is minimal and is there purely for preservative purposes. On the sweeter end. Vague liqueur - perhaps kahlua. Where's the roasted barley?

I'd definitely like more of an evocative coffee presence, with more depth and diversity of flavour. The coffee here is good, but it isn't as multifaceted as something like Kopi Luwak or the like.

It's nicely balanced for the most part, but there is some coffee roughness about the climax and in the third act (see below as it's more of a texture issue). Decent complexity and subtlety; more is always welcome. It's a nice build for a coffee stout, and I like it. But it's far from world-class. It's an inspired brew, but the best beers in the style have far more nuance and balance. This is quite cohesive, but I wouldn't call it gestalt. It's a bit rough around the edges for what it is.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour for a coffee stout.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. There aren't any off-notes.

Mf: The coffee bean does lend it a certain light roughness/harshness which is buried beneath the texture's smoothness and wetness but is still noticeable beneath the surface, and which dries out and coarsens the finish; for this reason, it has subpar presence on the palate. A biteen buttery. Good thickness and body. Slightly overcarbonated. Creamy. The texture complements the flavour profile well, though I wouldn't quite call it custom-tailored to it.

Not oily, astringent, boozy, gushed, or hot.

Roughness faded as it warmed, allowing the creaminess to take over. This helped the beer.

Dr: The mouthfeel holds this one back; they need to get that coffee roughness in check. It's quite drinkable, but the ABV isn't really well hidden - nor is it overly-present; I'd guess this was about 8% if I tried it blind. The best beers in the style always seem less boozy than they are. I like this, and I'll have no trouble killing the bottle alone. I understand the price point is pretty reasonable; I could definitely see myself picking this up again if I lived in its distribution area - especially in order to age it. I wouldn't trade for it again. As much as I like it, I can't say it's on par with the best coffee stouts I've had. There're a lot of good elements here, but it seems to be a running trend that Central Waters' beers fall into the "quite good, but not great" category for me. I look forward to continuing to try their other heralded offerings, and this one is quite satisfying, but I don't think its current 94 rating is warranted. I'd recommend this one to friends and I'd love to try it aged or on draught/nitro.

Low B+

kojevergas, Oct 03, 2013
Brewhouse Coffee Stout from Central Waters Brewing Co.