Peruvian Morning - Central Waters Brewing Co.

Peruvian MorningPeruvian Morning

2015 Tap only release
Reviews: 450 | Hads: 1,412
4.62/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

So good. Overall I feel that it is an incredibly accurate BCBS clone if anything, but the more subdued alcohol content makes it it's own thing. Delicious brew and we'll worth chasing after. I'ma enjoy a second, cheers! (218 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Impenetrable blackness topped with a thin tan froth.

Smell is complex with coffee beans, dark chocolate, raisin, black licorice and burnt sugar.

Silky smooth to the tongue with waves of caramel and dark chocolate followed by a hint of espresso and herbal goodness at fruition.

Any noticeable alcohol heat is wrapped in pure goodness. A little bourbon is noticed quite late.

Fine dining without the fancy clothes is what I'm talking about. (449 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -2.7%

A good coffee barrel stout, but not up there with Sunday Morning or Bourbon County. A little thin; great coffee-forward aroma and a nice touch of sourness. Glad it wasn't inffected. Would revisit, great drinkability too. (220 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The smell of this beer is outstanding, however the bottle was infected and the taste was on the sour side. Would love to try the newer batch on tap as I sense there is an excellent brew behind the infection. (208 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

From notes on 3/5/14

Dark pour. Kind of looks like Coke. Bourbony coffee smell. You can tell just by the aroma this is a Central Waters beer. Must be the barrels. Tastes great. Great chocolaty toasty flavors. Very sweet. Nice touch of bourbon. A little tangy on the tip of tongue. The tangyness isn’t to pronounced. Have had 4 bottles so far and all have been fine. Will probably drink the remaining 4 soon because I hear the tangy taste will eventually sour the beer. I like this beer a lot. Would hate to see it retired, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see on the future status of it.

The other 4 did go bad, but CW refunded the money so I am still happy. (666 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -26.3%

Bottle into Lost Abbey stemware.

Like mixed paint, dark yet thin. One finger of fuzzy latte-colored head lays atop like a fleece blanket.

Smells like mocha of the highest quality. Crumbly cocoa, espresso, vanilla, graham cracker.

Tangy. Has this gone sour? Coffee bitterness quickly becomes sour dark cherries. Mocha and oak can be picked up, but the tartness is overpowering. It's not totally bad, but it definitely doesn't belong.

The fleece blanket descriptor I used before might be better here. The body is smooth and creamy, the fizz moderate and tingly.

Wish the sour stuff wasn't here -- I'm sure this is a great beer when fresh. (645 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%

12 FLUID OZ bottle
Served in a snifter
2013

A - It pour black with less than an inch of mocha head. There is some lacing.

S - The coffee was noticeable immediately. After some warming the bourbon begins to come through with caramel and vanilla.

T - The taste follows the same path. Initially, it was coffee. Approaching room temperature released the bourbon flavors. The coffee faded to the background while caramel and bourbon replaced it. A lingering bourbon aftertaste was the final result.

M - Smooth and full with low carbonation.

O - I haven't been this worried about an infection since that time I hooked up with a chick in the parking lot of a Red Roof Inn. Luckily, both instances were infection free. This is an excellent coffee stout, but the infection rumors had me apprehensive. I am enjoying this beer very much on a borderline chilly Independence Day eve. (879 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2013 bottle as an extra in trade. Pours black with a one finger dark khaki head. Aroma of chocolate, some coffee, vanilla oak, bourbon. Flavor is bourbon heavy though not boozy, barely any coffee, light chocolate, nice vanilla finish. Bit of a Jack and Coke flavor going on here, supplemented by the lack of body. Body is on the thin side with medium carbonation. Overall a nice flavor but seems to need a good bit more body. Doesn't seem like this one is infected so that's good! Not bad but I don't think I'll seek this one out again. (536 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

I got a couple bottles in a trade. I popped one and is infected. That aside, the color is beautiful for the style. The aroma is all coffee. Really enjoyed looking at and smelling this brew. No doubt about infection. Pretty damn sour in a bad way. Still pulled coffee in the flavor. Hoping the next bottle isn't bad. Plan to edit if it isn't.

Edit for second attempt. The fact that knew what I was getting myself into helps some. The sour flavor is not so off-putting as I originally described. Mixing with the obvious bourbon and coffee rounds it out. Even if this had been an intentional characteristic it wouldn't be grabbing high marks for taste. (650 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Did a mini vert 2012 and 2013. Throwing caution to the wind with noted infection issues.

A: Both poured a very dark brown, with a good amount of white head.
S: 2012 initially smelled like straight up coffee and bourbon. 2013 smelled like a milk chocolate bomb.
T: 2012, yes, it was infected. It wasn't terrible though. It tasted almost like their BB Cherry Stout with that slight tang. Big bourbon flavor. 2013 tasted exactly like it smelled, all milk chocolate. As it warmed, lots of bourbon was coming to the forefront.
M: As with most Midwestern BB stouts(except BCBS), the body was on the thin side. Good carbonation pushed the flavors around my mouth.
O: Even though the 2012 was infected, it was still enjoyable. I found I was actually gravitating to it more when I need to take a break from the bourbon heavy 2013. To me, this is another BB stout from the Midwest along the lines of Blackout, Black Note and BA Siberian. I wonder if they use the same barrels. (970 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter. This is a 2014 vintage.

Appearance: Pours very dark brown/nearly black and leaves a finger of dark tan/light brown head, which fades to a layer around the glass.

Smell: Big, roasty coffee beans up front, roasted malts, light fudge. Nice balanced aroma with some big flavors.

Taste: A bit of vinous, slightly sour flavor upfront, along with coffee beans, some dark chocolate, oak, malts. The sour doesn't help the flavor, but rather nearly dominates it.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a medium, creamy body. Finishes smooth, a bit sour.

Overall: Definitely a nice, coffee stout, but the sour in the taste is a bit offputting. It doesn't completely dominate the taste but does give it a twist. Still, a nice stout. (768 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -3.9%

(FYI: My system only scores in whole numbers)

12oz bottle of 2013 vintage poured into a tumbler today, 1/26/2013.

Aroma- Vanilla and coconut really jumps out in the nose. There are hints of oak, black coffee and burnt toast, but the vanilla and coconut combination is incredibly strong. Very pleasing nose. (4)

Colour- Very dark cola, could be mistaken for jet black but holding it up to the light shows a very dark brown colour characteristic. Pours with a 1cm offwhite head, dissipates very quickly, nothing special. The lacing sticks in sporadic spots. Pretty standard for a double stout. (3)

Flavour- Follows the nose pretty well. Vanilla dominates throughout, with not-so-subtle hints of black coffee. There is a heavy roasted malt presence typical of stouts that impart a good chunk of chocolate and toffee- without it, I'd probably swear I was drinking spiked black coffee. Very complex and tasty- it beats a lot of the coffee stouts I've tried thus far.. and I'm a big coffee drinker. It's not quite BCBCS or KBS though. (4)

Mouthfeel- I guess I was comparing this to the BBS, but in comparison this actually boasts a thicker medium body with good carbonation for the style (BA double stouts typically don't come highly carbonated in my experience anyway). In the mouth, it feels somewhat creamy and very smooth- the best part of bourbon barrel aging. The aftertaste is black coffee with vanilla infused into it. Very good but still a bit watery. (4)

Overall- I'm much more impressed with this one than I was with the BBS. They did this one much better although I never got around to trying the 2012 vintage. Something tells me that this brew is probably best fresh, but I'll save 2 bottles from this 4-banger to drink a year from now. I'm actually thinking about finishing this 4-banger and going out and buying another one to cellar. It's very good and reasonably priced compared to BCBCS, but not quite at the level that BCBCS is. However, if you're not looking for pure motor oil but rather prefer a lighter brew (at 8.5% vs BCBCS' 15%) that delivers a similar boatload of complex flavors, this is a very good choice. (4)

Re-review: Had the 2014 vintage, poured into a Surly Darkness goblet today, 2/28/2014. So... not going to lie, this is clearly contaminated. I got no coffee, though I did get a bit of oak, vanilla and bourbon. But the mouthfeel is thinner than expected even for the base stout and there is a tangy fruitiness to this that reminds me of green apples. Simply not a good beer and I decided it wasn't worth finishing. I'm leaving the scores the same as it was from last year's vintage which was delicious. (2,642 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pour a solid, deep black with a one finger tan head that quickly dissipates to a ring around the glass. Not much in terms of lacing.
S: Yum, nice mix of bourbon and vanilla up front. Hints of coffee and chocolate.
T: I love how Central Waters blends their beers. They could put this in a bar form and sell it as candy! Lots of bourbon, coffee and vanilla very well blended. Hints of chocolate.
M: Slightly lighter body then a lot of other stouts but it works
O: Delicious, lots of flavors and mighty sweet. Central Waters knows how to do this kind of beer. (560 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

poured 12oz bottle into chalice. 2014 vintage

A - Very dark murky brown with a 1 finger light tan head. Fades quickly into a very thin ring and leaves behind small spotty lacing.

S - Notes of coffee and bourbon with some chocolate stout aroma.

T - Soft notes of coffee, bourbon, and caramel layered on top of a delicious dark chocolate stout. The coffee and bourbon seem to have some tangy flavors that grows over time. I feel this is why it starts to have a tartness to it after some months. There is also some wood on the finish.

M - Not as smooth as it could be. It is pretty good, but it should be velvety. I'm not concerned by the medium light body, but it prickles the tongue. Carbonation is decent for the style.

O - A winter treat that is fun and easy to drink. I do not age this as it begins to turn tart over time. Enjoy it fresh for maximum flavor. (867 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2014 Vintage poured into pint glass. Good God, I hope I do not get sick from a third straight year of infected.

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark brown (almost black) with a beige head. No real sign of carbonation besides the head, but then again... even when I hold this up to the light, I can't see anything.

Smell: More bourbon-y up front than the barleywine, not quite as much of a hit as the bourbon barrel stout. Definitely has vanilla, chocolatey notes. Some coffee to pick up on.

Taste: Yeah, this is yummy. Smooth. Hits of vanilla, chocolate, coffee. Less of a bourbon taste than I was expecting, but it's there. The flavors melds together much more nicely than the bourbon barrel stout. Color me impressed.

Mouthfeel: Very clean. Heavier bodied than the barleywine or the bourbon barrel stout. No residue at all left behind.

Overall: Dangerously drinkable. I'm gonna cellar this as well and check on it next year. Provided, of course, these aren't infected and recalled. (982 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a 2013, I aged for 1 year.

Very dark brown nice tan head, did not see a single bubble come up after pour. Smell of chocolate and light bourbon. Wow the flavors have blended so well. This beer is way better with some age on it. Drank one fresh last year and bourbon flavors were way over the top. I taste chocolate, bourbon, a little bitterness from the roast, and nice smooth vanilla finish. Mouthfeel is surprisingly thick, compared with other Central Water stout which tend to be on the thinner side. Nice and smooth.

Overall, this is a beer for ageing. I have two more bottles form 2013 vintage and I will drink one as a two year, and one as a three year. This is coming very soon to my local and I will be buying a case to age. (742 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a Bruery snifter. The pour is dark and opaque with about a finger of light, frothy, short-lived foam. The nose is surprising. I expected coffee and got something very reminiscent of CW BB Stout. It's rich and malty with mild roasty notes, with hints of vanilla, oak, and candied fruit.

Nice full body, firm feel, and rich flavor. It tastes a lot like their CW BB Stout. I do get some coffee notes, but not as much as I expected. The coffee is not out in front. It is subdued and masked by malt, dark chocolate, oak, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon. There are no objectionable flavors or qualities and the beer (like the BB Stout) is very pleasant to drink. It is smooth and silky with no aggressive flavors. On the finish, I get hints of bourbon, mild alcohol warmth, and a little vanilla and sarsaparilla.

An excellent beer, but frankly a little bit of a let-down since I expected more of a coffee presence in this beer. I had to trade for this, so it's possible that the coffee is much stronger when it's fresh. I would definitely try this again some time if I can score some more in the future. (1,124 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2010 bottle into a CS snifter. My knock on CW is how thin their BA stouts are. I think I am going to lift my foot off of the pedal on trying to get them from here on out.

A- Transparent around the rim. Medium brown, with minor/medium lacing around the rim.

S- Chocolate, bourbon is faint, but the beer smell pretty good. Malt, toffee and dark fruits in the background.

T- Mild bourbon, pretty watery. Some chocolate. Some malty taste.

M- Waaay to thin for my liking.

O- It was ok. (489 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours out dark as night with a one finger head that is a dark beige or light brown. Smell is a tiny bit of vanilla, definitely some coffee, dark fruits, and no hop presence that I can smell at all. Taste is a little bit of bourbon, some decent coffee, vanilla, and the obvious dark fruits. Not sure if this is an old six pack as it isn't as coffee forward as this beer usually is. Mouthfeel is pretty nice and thick. It's no BCBS but it is thicker than most. Overall this is a great beer. I know it's better fresh. This must be an old six pack. (544 characters)

I previously had a rating of 2.5 for this beer based on bottled version that was not infected. Beer always had a very odd, chemically vanilla note that overpowered the beer.

New rating is based on tap only release that they brewed in 2015. Nothing is remarkable about this beer. Very mild vanilla and coffee notes, barrel is present. Not bad, but not great. Would rather drink their regular Bourbon Barrel Stout (417 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2013 bottle

A: Brown/black relatively opaque beer w/ tan head

S: Vanilla aroma, subtle coffee aroma

T: Sweet vanilla w/ coffee and toffee, subtle bourbon flavor

M: thin body given the depth of the taste, medium carbonation

O: a very tasty coffee stout, well on par w/ even the likes of KBS, especially given this is more widely available (343 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter.

The non-infected kind.

A Murky brown/black. Thick brown head. Slow dissipation. Foam and lace remain down the glass.

S Quite aromatic. Cocoa bean. Espresso. Huge malt fragrance. There's a sweet and nutty smell. Roasted chestnuts. Toasted grain.

T Big blast of bitter coffee. Toffee. Dark Chocolate. Burnt sugar. Dark dried fruit; raisin, prune, dates.

M Good clean boozy finish. Hot but enjoyable. Medium thickness for the style.

O I have been going nuts over this beer. I have never had, and I've tried and tried, a non-infected bottle. I finally got lucky. Wow! Great stuff. I love a good coffee stout that doesn't go overboard with the sweetness. This is damn near perfect with it's bitterness and sweetness. Loved it. Yikes, it's been a journey but now I finally got what everyone else has been talking about. (840 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Aaron for the bottle of this long time want. Opened on a gloomy evening in NE KS. No abv listing on the bottle. Poured at refrigerator temperature into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a sand colored cap of head which quickly receded into a thin ring. Black body with brown highlights. Left some nice wisps of lacing on the side of the glass. Just fine for the style.

Smell: Right on the nose you get bourbon barrel, stone fruits, dark chocolate, cream, and dark roasted coffee. While the coffee is not as strong as the bourbon it compliments it well. Amazing nose.

Taste: Spicy, vanilla oak bourbon barrel up front. That really nice coffee roast, chocolate and cream. The bourbon is much stronger than the coffee and a stronger coffee presence would have made this much more enjoyable.

As it warmed the there was a boozy bite at the end. Making it seems like it was stronger than 8%.

Mouthfeel: Lower carbonation with a silky mouthfeel. Very warming.

Overall: Overall a nice bourbon forward stout with some great roasted coffee flavors. The coffee they chose worked great with the barrel but I feel like more of the coffee would have only made this that much better. Regardless, a recommended bourbon barrel coffee stout. No signs of infection. (1,259 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.9%

Bottle, 50°F, into a coffee mug.

A: nice, dark, black with a thin head.

S: bourbon and coffee in the nose...

T: wow. sour! not what i expected this morning. finished it, but under protest. I don't get much of the malt, or the barrel.

M: thin, fizzy, tingly.

O: I think I am victim of the infected batch. This is the second one of my 4, and not any better. had given it some time to age, but that hasn't helped, may actually be worse for wear.

Oh well. (459 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2013 Vintage drinking a fresh one & aging two more. Thankfully, not infected.

Appearance: Pours with little head and not too much carbonation. Beautifully dark brown though, without much lacing.

Smell: All bourbon here. Strongly oak, bourbon with a hint of coffee/malt. Almost overpoweringly bourbon though.

Taste: The taste is a little more nuanced than the smell, with a stronger hint of that coffee and a touch of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than I'd hoped. Feels pretty similar to their scotch ale in terms of depth.

Overall: A pretty darn good beer, but not quite a great one. Will definitely buy again next year, and look forward to seeing how the other two i taste at this time next year! (700 characters)

Peruvian Morning from Central Waters Brewing Co.