Peruvian Morning - Central Waters Brewing Co.

Peruvian MorningPeruvian Morning

Central Waters Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.50% ABV

2012 Release: Recalled due to infection
2013 Release: Recalled (at least in part) due to infection
2014 Release: Recalled due to infection

(Beer added by: brdc on 01-29-2008)
3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

12 oz. bottled 01/2011 poured into a New Belgium balloon.

Pours dark brown but not as dark as I'd have liked. Big dark brown head forms and sticks for a while, and leaves fantastic lacing over the glass.

Coffee, malts, and booze in the aroma. Some chocolate notes as well. However, there's really not all that much bourbon. The taste is dark chocolate, coffee and alcohol. Quite bitter, and warming!

Mouthfeel is creamy and the carbonation proper. Overall above average but not even close to the best bourbon barrel aged coffee stouts.

tewaris, Apr 17, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -33.6%

Another Wisconsin beer, another shout out to zimmerbloke. Thanks Matt. Your generosity is seemingly boundless.

A: 2011 batch poured into a Portsmouth snifter. Dark brown with translucent cola edges. A finger of beige head diminishes to a glass ring. No lacing evident. 2/5

S: Strong bourbon is the overwhelming aroma, spice and pepper lingers right behind the -bal, vanilla is a good accent. 3.5/5

T: Following the nose, the bourbon is again dominant. The coffee is easily found hiding behind the brown liquor, but its not quite as robust as I prefer for a coffee infused stout. It tastes good but I wish there was more to it and some greater depth. 3/5

M: Thin, highly carbed, and just not as viscous as I want for a stout. 2/5

O: I have to say that I've wanted to like the beers from Central Waters, but so far they're coming up a little short. This beer could be so much more but is semi-pedestrian in its current form. Flaws were apparent at almost every level. It could be darker, thicker, and more complex. This fits the definition of "not impressed". 2/5

hopsbreath, Apr 15, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Poured a beautiful dark deep back. head is a nice light tan that stays the entire time... about a 1/4".

S - Roasty and dark, surprisingly the bourbon and coffee are very faint.

T - The Bourbon is very overpowering for me in this one. It drowns out the coffee. There is faint coffee up front and at the very end. The Bourbon is very upfront on this one. Still a little burn from the Bourbon though.

M- Perfectly thick enough to be a stout but not syrupy. Fades a little to fast for my liking though.

Overall this is a great beer for a Bourbon Stout and not so much as a coffee stout. Was looking a little more for the latter.

slvrmon82, Apr 12, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Shared during a small Charlotte BA tasting with marine1975, caSSino, CarolinaKevin, and GehenHerzog. Big thanks to GehenHerzog for bringing this one out to share! Served from bottle into a Bell's stemmed tulip. Poured a massively dark brown with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount almost instantly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, coffee, peat, and slight mothballs. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, coffee, vanilla, sweet alcohol, and smoked wood. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. It have a pretty nice peat and smoked wood aspect going on here. Both the flavor and aroma were quite good on this one. Really glad I got the opportunity to try it and I suggest you do to!

thagr81us, Apr 07, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jh1982 for bringing this to the March Madness debauchery, sorry you got tanked at the tables the night before and couldn't push yourself to drink this one early the next morning!

Poured a dark brown, good beige head. Pungent coffee aroma out of this one, almost as if it was barrel aged, because a good amount of oak and vanilla seemed to pair with it.

Taste, alcohol well hidden, coffee still hefty. Good roasting, ample chocolate. Bitterness held in decent check. Could see a slight tobacco and leather to it. Slight. Bourbon, slight, just like the bourbon feel, no heat, not even warmth. Good consistency of the mouthfeel, viscosity. The vanilla and caramel really set this apart from too many one dimensional coffee beers. Sure, sometimes that's all I want is coffee, but sometimes, I want some complexity, and Peruvian Morning satisfies that urge.

Overall, just another quality beer from Central Waters. Deceptively strong, good coffee quality, would revisit as often as possible.

I always feel sketchy about sending text messages about this beer, like if too many Patriot Act Ninjas are following my conversation, "hey, let's get into some Peruvian Morning tomorrow," and then all of a sudden my doors are being busted down by the narco police . . .

Beerandraiderfan, Mar 31, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -1%

12oz bottle into cervoise. 2011.

A - pours a dark brown, lighter black. Tan, 1 finger, head. Minor lacing

S - Cold brewed coffee, medium roast. Negligible hops. I love this smell, but I am a coffee lover too.

T - Nice balance of the roasted coffee and a nutty flavour from the malt. Minor toffee like sweetness and little bitterness (at least from the hops, the coffee brings some bitterness with it)

M - Medium, drying, not that creamy

O - A solid coffee stout. You can really tell that they used high quality coffee in this one. Very good.

OakedCanuck, Mar 31, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

(12oz bottle courtesy of Alpar!). Pours dark brown with khaki head. Aroma has a beautiful blend of coffee, chocolate, vanilla and light bourbon. Taste is sweet with a little roastiness and a light burn from the bourbon, but its nicely balanced. Full bodied with creamy/slick texture. Smooth finish with some heat, but not too much. This beer is really good and I'd love to have more.

trappistlover, Mar 29, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone RIS glass. It poured black in color with a thin, tan, frothy head concentrated around the edge of the glass.

The aroma shows off the bourbon nicely. I get a lot of the vanilla and woody oak to it, along with a modest bourbon booziness. Behind the barrel flavors I get some dark chocolate and roasty, bitter, coffee flavors to it. A little burntness is there too. Very nice aroma overall, the bourbon barrel flavors really come through nicely and mix very well with all of the roasty, bitter, coffee flavors.

The taste starts off with more of the vanilla and woody oak flavors. It's sweet at first, but the roasty coffee and bitter-sweet chocolate starts to come in soon after. In the finish I get some burnt, roasted flavors lingering with a little bourbon as well.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with carbonation being low. Overall it was a very good beer. I really like how well the barrel aging come together with the roasty and bitter flavors. The sweeter vanilla, bourbon and oak really complimented the flavors nicely. Very enjoyable barrel aged beer to sip on this evening.

The mouthfeel

billab914, Mar 28, 2011

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.
A:Appearance is deep dark brown. It will allow light to pass through. One finger of head from a rough pour.

S: Boubon is apparent. Hints of oak, vanilla, and coconut.

T:Lots of Bourbon. Some dark fruit. Coffee and vanilla in the finish.

M:Medium body with just the right amount of carb.

O: This one has the right combination of coffee and barrel aged flavors to make it a winner for me. Great stout.

IdrinkGas, Mar 27, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

Central Waters Peruvian Morning 2011

"A bourbon barrel aged imperial stout made with freshly roasted Emy J's coffee. This beer is as complex as it gets. Flavors of vanilla, tannins, and coffee meld together to create a flavor as deep as the ravines of the Peruvian Andes."

Muddy brown appearance, rocky tan head, lovely to look at, delightful to know.

Nose is full of chocolate and coffee, a little peppery spice, some molasses, dark rum, deep, indeed. All the makings of a great imperial stout, plus all the goodness of a coffee stout, but wait, there's more! Vanilla and oak, definitely, and the sweet, vast, ever-so-tempting bourbon barrel feel. Oh, yeah, it's all in here.

Tasting it: Mmmmm! Bourbon hits first, whiskey's all over this one, then the other flavors roll out. They can't sit for long, because with every sip the bourbon whiskey comes roaring back. A bit harsh, a trifle thick, brandy and cherries chime in with vanilla and oak. Blackberry and raspberry, too. Mostly vanilla and oak, though, some coffee hangs in there, somehow, but this is all about the bourbon. You'd have a hard time thinking there was anything else going on.
And, ...actually? It's getting a little long with me. Too much too much. Oversoaked in the bourbon. Maybe if I am in Peru my mornings would be spent stewed in bourbon, but if the name means to evoke coffee, it's buried in there.

Full bodied, long finish, but not the flavors I want to soak in. Not so much. I almost don't want to finish the contents of the bottle. I will, anyway, but ...eh, maybe I won't. Only a few ounces left, but it's over, it's done, I've been there and done that. Bleh. My tongue is tired already. Meh. Sorry, can't get too riled up about this one.

feloniousmonk, Mar 22, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottle poured into my Stone IRS snifter

Black body with a pilowy tan/light brown head. Smells strongly of latin american coffee, bright acidity and a light roast. Some vanilla like sweet bourbon sweetness comes through at the end of a real big whiff. The coffee really dominates the flavor of this one, similar to the nose latin american coffee notes and some light roast notes. Not much bourbon flavor present, some in the finish but it doesn't really meld with the overall beer. body is medium bodied with more carbonation than I'd like. Decently drinkable but I wish the bourbon notes blended in a bit better. I don't know if I really like the interaction of the bourbon and coffee flavors, I think I prefer the bigger bourbon notes and darker roast notes of BCBCS better. Maybe also a different blend of coffee would help this since I'm not the biggest fan of Latin American coffees. Anyhow I'm glad I got to try this one but wouldn't seek it out again.

jpmclaug, Mar 22, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Thin cappuccino head, drops quickly leaves light lacing. The body is plenty black, but I did get some light through giving it just a slightly amber color.

S-Sweet bourbon, oak and a light smooth coffee note up front. I also started to get some vanilla as it warmed, along with some higher alcohol and bitter chocolate. It smells good, just not what I like out of a coffee stout, hence the lower score.

T-Very smooth coffee and chocolate right away, the bourbon comes up quickly though with some brown sugar like sweetness and some vanilla keeping everything balanced. I was again surprised at how mellow the coffee is, I got more flavor than aroma, but they balance it in very nicely.

M-Lighter on the tongue than I expected, with slightly higher carb. I only got a little heat way in the back, but it did dry out a bit after finishing.

D-This is certainly unlike any other RIS or Coffee Stout that I have ever had. However, despite being so unexpected I really enjoyed it, I like to see a brewery pushing styles and this is a success.

larsenju, Mar 18, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a thinnish dark brown with a nice tan head with excellent lacing. It gets a relatively low score because it looks so thin when poured.

Smells like dark burnt coffee with a hint of bourbon and malt underneath. Coffee definitely dominates this one.

Taste is impressive. Plentiful coffee that mingles quite nicely with bourbon sweetness. A bit too burnt and not quite as smooth as I'd ideally like it, but very nice.

A bit thin for an imperial stout - I miss the creamy viscosity that characterizes the best stouts.

readbaron, Mar 15, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks a lot to crossovert for this bottle!

A: During the pour, I noticed this had to be the lightest in color Imperial stout I've ever seen. The beer is dark brown with a nice creamy looking pale beige head with ok retention and ok lacing.

S: Really really strong smells of bourbon comes to my nose first: vanilla, leather, pepper and oak. Dried pineapple seems to be there too. Light coffee smell and overall roasted characteristics are in the background of the bourbon. Dark chocolate and molasses.

T: This really isn't your run of the mill imperial stout. The coffee is there for sure this time around and tastes great, but the usual roasted malts aren't there. The sweetness of the bourbon aging brings a bit of the dark chocolate but not much. Again, the bourbon is the main player in this beer with strong tastes of vanilla, leather, oak and pepper. Pleasantly boozy.

M: Medium body which was unexpected for an Imperial stout. Someone said the beer lacked a bit of barley malt and it might be the reason behind the light-er body. Medium carbonation. Usually, this kind of feel wouldn't score high for an imperial stout but since this beer isn't similar to most imperial stout in the taste, it fits somewhat well.

D: Most imperial stouts' viscosity and sweetness is what hinders the drinkability, but this one isn't nearly as sweet or sticky (or heavy feeling) than most imperial stouts, making the beer quite drinkable.

flipper2gv, Mar 14, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +8%

Pours out a vicious dark and mostly black color into a New Belgium snifter with half a finger of tan head that leaves a hint of lacing.

Smell is very inviting and complex. Vanilla, oak, hint of bourbon and heat, hot chocolate.

Taste is smooth chocolate and vanilla blending with slight tannin from the oak. Slight roastiness and again just a hint of bourbon heat. lovin this flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is thick with moderate to low carbonation. A bit higher carbonation than many of the flat barrel aged stouts.

I could have many of these and it is a huge coffee barrel aged stout. That is hard to accomplish. Excellent beer.

pdoran10, Mar 13, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

I got this beer from guyinchicago. Thanks Chuck!

12oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

L - black with a beige head that thinned out but still left a good deal of lacing behind.

S - roasted espresso-like coffee beans.

T - rich, roasted coffee flavor all the way through, a very tasty beer indeed.

F - medium/full bodied with a smooth feel.

D - goes down smooth and easy, goes great with a 'breakfast for dinner' type meal.

JoeyBeerBelly, Mar 10, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

3/5/11

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Received in the Birthday BIF thanks to Dunt; thanks Ryan, big Want!

a - Pours a dark brown color with high carbonation evident and two inches of tan head that last for 2-3 minutes. An inch lasts throughout the drink and leaves some light lacing.

s - Smells of bourbon, sweet chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, vanilla, and oak. Very complex and balanced, full of fresh coffee, sweet chocolate and vanilla, and bourbon. Smells amazing to me.

t - Tastes of bourbon, coffee, sweet vanilla, sweet chocolate, roasted malts, and oak. Bourbon and coffee jump out in the taste, but neither dominate which is nice. Again, pretty balanced, and I thought the oak/wood came out more in the taste than the smell. Very nice.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, very smooth and creamy. No real heat, but a tiny bit more carbonated than I would have liked.

d - Overall I thought this was a fantastic barrel aged stout. I really liked how balanced it was and I really didn't think the bourbon dominated the nose or taste. In both, I got nice bourbon, fresh coffee, sweet chocolate, and vanilla. Felt very drinkable for 8.5% ABV and a barrel aged stout. Would love to get more of this one.

4/4.5/4.5/4/4.5 = 4.43%
___
3/23/12 EDIT: I've been lucky enough to score more of this beer this year and am revising my score to:

4/4.5/4.5/5/5 = 4.63%

I love this beer; I've had 3 2012 bottles over the last 2 weeks and I think I like it even better now. Insanely smooth and creamy and nearly perfect; I'll be looking to get more of this ASAP.

mdfb79, Mar 05, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

2011 batch. Overpriced bottle bought at Discount Liquors.

A - Dark brown/black. Huge carbonation, similar to other Central Waters stouts. Doesn't look as creamy as other great stouts.

S - Good smell. Fresh coffee, chocolate. Tiny bourbon/vanilla. All the smells are a little muted.

T - Wow, this beer really passed my expectations in terms of taste. Very fudge/chocolate. Coffee. Slight bourbon/vanilla taste. Taste is similar to the smell, except much heavier on the fudge/chocolate

M - A little thin for an imperial stout, as I've found with most of central waters big beers.

D - Very good. I could finish multiple bottles of this in one sitting, which, for an Imperial Stout, gets it a high rating in my book.

Good beer. Good balance of sweet/roast/chocolate/vanilla/coffee with no taste overpowering the rest.

CurtisLoew, Mar 04, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to hannydawg for this awesome extra because I was too late on the trigger to get it for myself.

This beer pours a dark brown with a nice tan head of foam on the surface. The aromatics are heavily bourbon and there are some sweet vanilla and a hint of clove aromas. The flavor is oddly sweet for the style. I would have expected a BBA Imperial Coffee Stout to be significantly more robust than it actually is. Hell, I honestly don't even taste the coffee, and this beer is only a month or so old. I find that this beer tastes pretty darn good, but it's actually more in line with the BBBW then it is with any stout. This is a pretty weak imperial stout just like the Satin Solstice. I'm going to guess that this is not the forte of CW. The body is medium, but it's almost considered thin. The one thing this beer has going for it is it's just overall tasty and easy drinking. If you can get it to the right temperature it goes down really easy. There is almost no coffee what so every just a vanilla bourbon goodness, but I enjoyed drinking it. I wonder what more coffee in this beer would taste like.

Vdubb86, Mar 02, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

2011 vintage.

aggressive pour into a snifter.

Appearance: This beer is a very dark brown to light black colored body. Some lacing is noted on glass.

Smell: Smells like fresh roasted coffee and semi-sweet chocolate with some vanilla and bourbon lingering in the background. Mild and integrated smell; nothing that has an overpowering or strong smell.

Taste: Fresh roasty coffee and a sweet bourbon alcohol bite are the two immediate flavors of this beer. Oak, vanilla are in the middle with the maltiness that balances the coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body with moderate carbonation. The carbonation actually is interesting in this beer because a barrel aged beer is normal not so carbonated, but it works well here.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for an imperial Stout. I might consider this beer a barrel aged stout instead of an Imperial Stout. A delicous beer and a great beer made by Central Waters. This is the first beer i have had of this brewery and I want to try more of thier beers!

4DAloveofSTOUT, Mar 02, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

Loved this beer when I first had it on tap at the Between the Bluffs Beer and Cheese Fest in LaCrosse a few years back. Then had a bottle last year and finally reviewing it.

A - Pours a deep brown, near black with brown edges. Tiny light brown lacing. Very light for a double/imp stout. No stick

S - Chocolate and roast in the nose, little else

T - More chocolate, very similar to the regular stout from CW but with more roast. Hints of bourbon in the back as well as some alcohol burn. Not nearly as much bourbon as I would like as it sits in the back not in the forefront. Some hints of vanilla and oak

M - Much more rich than it looks, fairly sweet

D - Very easily drinkable, fairly complex

Overall a good beer, not as great as I remember it being. This is a bit underwhelming for an imperial stout.

boomer31, Mar 02, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours black with a finger of light tan head that quickly recedes into almost nothing. Very little lacing as well.

S: Lots of vanilla, oak, and bourbon aromas with some sweet chocolate aromas as well.

T: Taste is similar to the aroma with lots of vanilla, oak, and bourbon flavors and just a touch of roasted malt. The finish has a light alcohol burn and strong toffee flavor.

M: Medium-thick body with low carbonation, the beer has a surprisingly oily and watery characteristic to it for a big stout.

D: Goes down pretty smoothly since it's not too thick or sweet.

Overall, a pretty good beer, but I can't help but wonder where the claimed coffee flavors went. It was a 2011 bottle, so the coffee flavors should be fresh, but they seem to be completely absent along with most of the other typical stout flavors. It tastes much more of the barrel than the beer that went into it.

n2185, Mar 01, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle provided by brian23456, thanks Brian!

A - For a beer of this high alcohol content, it's not incredibly dark. Even through the widest part of the glass, it's easy to see a dark amber hue to this beer. The head is modest, peaking at about 1.5-finger's worth of head with low retention. As it fades it leaves only a thin ring around the edges. Lacing more than makes up for it though, as a generous layer of foam sticks to the glass.

S - Although this is a bourbon barrel-aged stout, the bourbon definitely takes a backseat to the rest of the aroma. The barrel isn't completely absent, however, as the vanilla makes up a big part of the nose. The coffee also dominates most of the smell with the rest of the malts playing a strong supporting role. Milk chocolate flitters around the smell, but its discernible. Finally, the bourbon resurges to mix and aid a subtle alcohol heat.

T - The bourbon, which was so toned-down in the nose, definitely makes itself known in the taste. It starts the beer off with a definite kick, which the coffee and vanilla soon follow. It's not heavy at all, but the flavors it delivers are hard-hitting and bold. I was expecting a bit more coffee presence, as currently the vanilla and bourbon have free reign on the palate. Again, I'm getting lots of rich chocolate intermittently throughout the profile. Interestingly, the alcohol heat is mainly on the front-end of this beer so it has time to mellow when the other flavors arrive.

M - Mouthfeel is medium to light-bodied with medium carbonation. For being a barrel-aged beer, this beer actually has a nice carbonation bite to it as well, which shows up at the end and gives the feeling of drinking soda. Finish is moderately long and it coats well.

D - Drinkability is high. While I feel the barrel may outshine the coffee a bit, it is still a delicious beer that I drank all too quickly. As the alcohol heat arrives near the beginning of the beer, by the time the other bold flavors take part, it's nearly forgotten. Thankfully, this comes in 4-packs and I will be on the lookout for this!

nhindian, Mar 01, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

Big thanks to leszczynski23 for hooking me up with this great extra. Label says it was bottled in January 2011. Enjoyed on 02/28/11.

A - Looks like a stout. Opaque black. Lets a little bit of red show through around the edge. One finger cream colored head that leaves splotchy lacing. Good looking beer.

S - Wow, this thing smells amazing. Huge vanilla, wood, roasted malts, bourbon, chocolate, coffee.

T - Chocolatey and roasty up front. Gives way to a great vanilla/wood flavor. Finish is nice and bittersweet with some coffee, chocolate and roasted malts.

M/D - Mouthfeel is on par with a regular stout, a little thin for an imperial. Drinkability is decent. The bourbon aspect makes it somewhat of a sipper but this is very tasty.

My first beer from Central Waters was a very good one. Can't wait to try more of their stuff.

Janderson91, Feb 28, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 vintage poured into a pint glass.

A: As dark as the coffee it's named for, with half an inch of a light mocha head that dissipated quickly and provided no lacing.

S: Bourbon. Seriously, that's the entire nose. I could've just as easily been smelling a glass of Makers Mark.

T: Tastes of coffee, bourbon, and malt all in about equal flavors, with perhaps the faintest hint of chocolate on the finish.

M: Perhaps a bit more carbonated than one might want in a DIS, and a bit thinner as well.

D: To me, this just isn't as drinkable as other bbal stouts. The booze is really forward on this, and not for the better in my opinion. By no means is this a BAD beer, but I definitely won't be rushing out to buy any more.

duffcalifornia, Feb 27, 2011
Peruvian Morning from Central Waters Brewing Co.