Peruvian Morning - Central Waters Brewing Co.

Peruvian MorningPeruvian Morning

Central Waters Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: brdc on 01-29-2008

2012 Release: Recalled due to infection
2013 Release: Recalled (at least in part) due to infection
2014 Release: Recalled due to infection

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.
A:Appearance is deep dark brown. It will allow light to pass through. One finger of head from a rough pour.

S: Boubon is apparent. Hints of oak, vanilla, and coconut.

T:Lots of Bourbon. Some dark fruit. Coffee and vanilla in the finish.

M:Medium body with just the right amount of carb.

O: This one has the right combination of coffee and barrel aged flavors to make it a winner for me. Great stout.

3.97/5  rDev -4.1%

Central Waters Peruvian Morning 2011

"A bourbon barrel aged imperial stout made with freshly roasted Emy J's coffee. This beer is as complex as it gets. Flavors of vanilla, tannins, and coffee meld together to create a flavor as deep as the ravines of the Peruvian Andes."

Muddy brown appearance, rocky tan head, lovely to look at, delightful to know.

Nose is full of chocolate and coffee, a little peppery spice, some molasses, dark rum, deep, indeed. All the makings of a great imperial stout, plus all the goodness of a coffee stout, but wait, there's more! Vanilla and oak, definitely, and the sweet, vast, ever-so-tempting bourbon barrel feel. Oh, yeah, it's all in here.

Tasting it: Mmmmm! Bourbon hits first, whiskey's all over this one, then the other flavors roll out. They can't sit for long, because with every sip the bourbon whiskey comes roaring back. A bit harsh, a trifle thick, brandy and cherries chime in with vanilla and oak. Blackberry and raspberry, too. Mostly vanilla and oak, though, some coffee hangs in there, somehow, but this is all about the bourbon. You'd have a hard time thinking there was anything else going on.
And, ...actually? It's getting a little long with me. Too much too much. Oversoaked in the bourbon. Maybe if I am in Peru my mornings would be spent stewed in bourbon, but if the name means to evoke coffee, it's buried in there.

Full bodied, long finish, but not the flavors I want to soak in. Not so much. I almost don't want to finish the contents of the bottle. I will, anyway, but ...eh, maybe I won't. Only a few ounces left, but it's over, it's done, I've been there and done that. Bleh. My tongue is tired already. Meh. Sorry, can't get too riled up about this one.

3.33/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle poured into my Stone IRS snifter

Black body with a pilowy tan/light brown head. Smells strongly of latin american coffee, bright acidity and a light roast. Some vanilla like sweet bourbon sweetness comes through at the end of a real big whiff. The coffee really dominates the flavor of this one, similar to the nose latin american coffee notes and some light roast notes. Not much bourbon flavor present, some in the finish but it doesn't really meld with the overall beer. body is medium bodied with more carbonation than I'd like. Decently drinkable but I wish the bourbon notes blended in a bit better. I don't know if I really like the interaction of the bourbon and coffee flavors, I think I prefer the bigger bourbon notes and darker roast notes of BCBCS better. Maybe also a different blend of coffee would help this since I'm not the biggest fan of Latin American coffees. Anyhow I'm glad I got to try this one but wouldn't seek it out again.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Thin cappuccino head, drops quickly leaves light lacing. The body is plenty black, but I did get some light through giving it just a slightly amber color.

S-Sweet bourbon, oak and a light smooth coffee note up front. I also started to get some vanilla as it warmed, along with some higher alcohol and bitter chocolate. It smells good, just not what I like out of a coffee stout, hence the lower score.

T-Very smooth coffee and chocolate right away, the bourbon comes up quickly though with some brown sugar like sweetness and some vanilla keeping everything balanced. I was again surprised at how mellow the coffee is, I got more flavor than aroma, but they balance it in very nicely.

M-Lighter on the tongue than I expected, with slightly higher carb. I only got a little heat way in the back, but it did dry out a bit after finishing.

D-This is certainly unlike any other RIS or Coffee Stout that I have ever had. However, despite being so unexpected I really enjoyed it, I like to see a brewery pushing styles and this is a success.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a thinnish dark brown with a nice tan head with excellent lacing. It gets a relatively low score because it looks so thin when poured.

Smells like dark burnt coffee with a hint of bourbon and malt underneath. Coffee definitely dominates this one.

Taste is impressive. Plentiful coffee that mingles quite nicely with bourbon sweetness. A bit too burnt and not quite as smooth as I'd ideally like it, but very nice.

A bit thin for an imperial stout - I miss the creamy viscosity that characterizes the best stouts.

4.21/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks a lot to crossovert for this bottle!

A: During the pour, I noticed this had to be the lightest in color Imperial stout I've ever seen. The beer is dark brown with a nice creamy looking pale beige head with ok retention and ok lacing.

S: Really really strong smells of bourbon comes to my nose first: vanilla, leather, pepper and oak. Dried pineapple seems to be there too. Light coffee smell and overall roasted characteristics are in the background of the bourbon. Dark chocolate and molasses.

T: This really isn't your run of the mill imperial stout. The coffee is there for sure this time around and tastes great, but the usual roasted malts aren't there. The sweetness of the bourbon aging brings a bit of the dark chocolate but not much. Again, the bourbon is the main player in this beer with strong tastes of vanilla, leather, oak and pepper. Pleasantly boozy.

M: Medium body which was unexpected for an Imperial stout. Someone said the beer lacked a bit of barley malt and it might be the reason behind the light-er body. Medium carbonation. Usually, this kind of feel wouldn't score high for an imperial stout but since this beer isn't similar to most imperial stout in the taste, it fits somewhat well.

D: Most imperial stouts' viscosity and sweetness is what hinders the drinkability, but this one isn't nearly as sweet or sticky (or heavy feeling) than most imperial stouts, making the beer quite drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Pours out a vicious dark and mostly black color into a New Belgium snifter with half a finger of tan head that leaves a hint of lacing.

Smell is very inviting and complex. Vanilla, oak, hint of bourbon and heat, hot chocolate.

Taste is smooth chocolate and vanilla blending with slight tannin from the oak. Slight roastiness and again just a hint of bourbon heat. lovin this flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is thick with moderate to low carbonation. A bit higher carbonation than many of the flat barrel aged stouts.

I could have many of these and it is a huge coffee barrel aged stout. That is hard to accomplish. Excellent beer.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

I got this beer from guyinchicago. Thanks Chuck!

12oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

L - black with a beige head that thinned out but still left a good deal of lacing behind.

S - roasted espresso-like coffee beans.

T - rich, roasted coffee flavor all the way through, a very tasty beer indeed.

F - medium/full bodied with a smooth feel.

D - goes down smooth and easy, goes great with a 'breakfast for dinner' type meal.

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%

3/5/11

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Received in the Birthday BIF thanks to Dunt; thanks Ryan, big Want!

a - Pours a dark brown color with high carbonation evident and two inches of tan head that last for 2-3 minutes. An inch lasts throughout the drink and leaves some light lacing.

s - Smells of bourbon, sweet chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, vanilla, and oak. Very complex and balanced, full of fresh coffee, sweet chocolate and vanilla, and bourbon. Smells amazing to me.

t - Tastes of bourbon, coffee, sweet vanilla, sweet chocolate, roasted malts, and oak. Bourbon and coffee jump out in the taste, but neither dominate which is nice. Again, pretty balanced, and I thought the oak/wood came out more in the taste than the smell. Very nice.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, very smooth and creamy. No real heat, but a tiny bit more carbonated than I would have liked.

d - Overall I thought this was a fantastic barrel aged stout. I really liked how balanced it was and I really didn't think the bourbon dominated the nose or taste. In both, I got nice bourbon, fresh coffee, sweet chocolate, and vanilla. Felt very drinkable for 8.5% ABV and a barrel aged stout. Would love to get more of this one.

4/4.5/4.5/4/4.5 = 4.43%
___
3/23/12 EDIT: I've been lucky enough to score more of this beer this year and am revising my score to:

4/4.5/4.5/5/5 = 4.63%

I love this beer; I've had 3 2012 bottles over the last 2 weeks and I think I like it even better now. Insanely smooth and creamy and nearly perfect; I'll be looking to get more of this ASAP.

4.09/5  rDev -1.2%

2011 batch. Overpriced bottle bought at Discount Liquors.

A - Dark brown/black. Huge carbonation, similar to other Central Waters stouts. Doesn't look as creamy as other great stouts.

S - Good smell. Fresh coffee, chocolate. Tiny bourbon/vanilla. All the smells are a little muted.

T - Wow, this beer really passed my expectations in terms of taste. Very fudge/chocolate. Coffee. Slight bourbon/vanilla taste. Taste is similar to the smell, except much heavier on the fudge/chocolate

M - A little thin for an imperial stout, as I've found with most of central waters big beers.

D - Very good. I could finish multiple bottles of this in one sitting, which, for an Imperial Stout, gets it a high rating in my book.

Good beer. Good balance of sweet/roast/chocolate/vanilla/coffee with no taste overpowering the rest.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to hannydawg for this awesome extra because I was too late on the trigger to get it for myself.

This beer pours a dark brown with a nice tan head of foam on the surface. The aromatics are heavily bourbon and there are some sweet vanilla and a hint of clove aromas. The flavor is oddly sweet for the style. I would have expected a BBA Imperial Coffee Stout to be significantly more robust than it actually is. Hell, I honestly don't even taste the coffee, and this beer is only a month or so old. I find that this beer tastes pretty darn good, but it's actually more in line with the BBBW then it is with any stout. This is a pretty weak imperial stout just like the Satin Solstice. I'm going to guess that this is not the forte of CW. The body is medium, but it's almost considered thin. The one thing this beer has going for it is it's just overall tasty and easy drinking. If you can get it to the right temperature it goes down really easy. There is almost no coffee what so every just a vanilla bourbon goodness, but I enjoyed drinking it. I wonder what more coffee in this beer would taste like.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

2011 vintage.

aggressive pour into a snifter.

Appearance: This beer is a very dark brown to light black colored body. Some lacing is noted on glass.

Smell: Smells like fresh roasted coffee and semi-sweet chocolate with some vanilla and bourbon lingering in the background. Mild and integrated smell; nothing that has an overpowering or strong smell.

Taste: Fresh roasty coffee and a sweet bourbon alcohol bite are the two immediate flavors of this beer. Oak, vanilla are in the middle with the maltiness that balances the coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body with moderate carbonation. The carbonation actually is interesting in this beer because a barrel aged beer is normal not so carbonated, but it works well here.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for an imperial Stout. I might consider this beer a barrel aged stout instead of an Imperial Stout. A delicous beer and a great beer made by Central Waters. This is the first beer i have had of this brewery and I want to try more of thier beers!

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

Loved this beer when I first had it on tap at the Between the Bluffs Beer and Cheese Fest in LaCrosse a few years back. Then had a bottle last year and finally reviewing it.

A - Pours a deep brown, near black with brown edges. Tiny light brown lacing. Very light for a double/imp stout. No stick

S - Chocolate and roast in the nose, little else

T - More chocolate, very similar to the regular stout from CW but with more roast. Hints of bourbon in the back as well as some alcohol burn. Not nearly as much bourbon as I would like as it sits in the back not in the forefront. Some hints of vanilla and oak

M - Much more rich than it looks, fairly sweet

D - Very easily drinkable, fairly complex

Overall a good beer, not as great as I remember it being. This is a bit underwhelming for an imperial stout.

3.46/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours black with a finger of light tan head that quickly recedes into almost nothing. Very little lacing as well.

S: Lots of vanilla, oak, and bourbon aromas with some sweet chocolate aromas as well.

T: Taste is similar to the aroma with lots of vanilla, oak, and bourbon flavors and just a touch of roasted malt. The finish has a light alcohol burn and strong toffee flavor.

M: Medium-thick body with low carbonation, the beer has a surprisingly oily and watery characteristic to it for a big stout.

D: Goes down pretty smoothly since it's not too thick or sweet.

Overall, a pretty good beer, but I can't help but wonder where the claimed coffee flavors went. It was a 2011 bottle, so the coffee flavors should be fresh, but they seem to be completely absent along with most of the other typical stout flavors. It tastes much more of the barrel than the beer that went into it.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle provided by brian23456, thanks Brian!

A - For a beer of this high alcohol content, it's not incredibly dark. Even through the widest part of the glass, it's easy to see a dark amber hue to this beer. The head is modest, peaking at about 1.5-finger's worth of head with low retention. As it fades it leaves only a thin ring around the edges. Lacing more than makes up for it though, as a generous layer of foam sticks to the glass.

S - Although this is a bourbon barrel-aged stout, the bourbon definitely takes a backseat to the rest of the aroma. The barrel isn't completely absent, however, as the vanilla makes up a big part of the nose. The coffee also dominates most of the smell with the rest of the malts playing a strong supporting role. Milk chocolate flitters around the smell, but its discernible. Finally, the bourbon resurges to mix and aid a subtle alcohol heat.

T - The bourbon, which was so toned-down in the nose, definitely makes itself known in the taste. It starts the beer off with a definite kick, which the coffee and vanilla soon follow. It's not heavy at all, but the flavors it delivers are hard-hitting and bold. I was expecting a bit more coffee presence, as currently the vanilla and bourbon have free reign on the palate. Again, I'm getting lots of rich chocolate intermittently throughout the profile. Interestingly, the alcohol heat is mainly on the front-end of this beer so it has time to mellow when the other flavors arrive.

M - Mouthfeel is medium to light-bodied with medium carbonation. For being a barrel-aged beer, this beer actually has a nice carbonation bite to it as well, which shows up at the end and gives the feeling of drinking soda. Finish is moderately long and it coats well.

D - Drinkability is high. While I feel the barrel may outshine the coffee a bit, it is still a delicious beer that I drank all too quickly. As the alcohol heat arrives near the beginning of the beer, by the time the other bold flavors take part, it's nearly forgotten. Thankfully, this comes in 4-packs and I will be on the lookout for this!

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

Big thanks to leszczynski23 for hooking me up with this great extra. Label says it was bottled in January 2011. Enjoyed on 02/28/11.

A - Looks like a stout. Opaque black. Lets a little bit of red show through around the edge. One finger cream colored head that leaves splotchy lacing. Good looking beer.

S - Wow, this thing smells amazing. Huge vanilla, wood, roasted malts, bourbon, chocolate, coffee.

T - Chocolatey and roasty up front. Gives way to a great vanilla/wood flavor. Finish is nice and bittersweet with some coffee, chocolate and roasted malts.

M/D - Mouthfeel is on par with a regular stout, a little thin for an imperial. Drinkability is decent. The bourbon aspect makes it somewhat of a sipper but this is very tasty.

My first beer from Central Waters was a very good one. Can't wait to try more of their stuff.

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 vintage poured into a pint glass.

A: As dark as the coffee it's named for, with half an inch of a light mocha head that dissipated quickly and provided no lacing.

S: Bourbon. Seriously, that's the entire nose. I could've just as easily been smelling a glass of Makers Mark.

T: Tastes of coffee, bourbon, and malt all in about equal flavors, with perhaps the faintest hint of chocolate on the finish.

M: Perhaps a bit more carbonated than one might want in a DIS, and a bit thinner as well.

D: To me, this just isn't as drinkable as other bbal stouts. The booze is really forward on this, and not for the better in my opinion. By no means is this a BAD beer, but I definitely won't be rushing out to buy any more.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Big thanks goes out levifunk for this 12oz bottle. 2011 edition into a Stone IRS glass.

A: Pours a very nice dark brown with a cream colored head, not quite an inch thick that recedes to almost nothing, just a few bubbles around the edge of the glass. A little lighter than most in the style, but not bad.

S: Lots of nice coffee smells, and a nice amount of milk chocolate underneath the coffee. Has a nice amount of bourbon and wood and vanilla, some notes of caramel and just a bit of booze. Pretty darn nice.

T: Pretty robust and complicated right up front, took a couple of sips to really put it all together. Initial notes of fresh roasted coffee that mixes into a bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, barrel combination of deliciousness, wow, very impressive. A bit of hops on the finish, with a bit of earth and citrus as well. There are a ton of flavors going on here. Incredibly flavorful.

M: Pretty hefty in the mouth, nice velvety carbonation really contributes to the overall body of the beer. Finish is woody and slightly dry, but still sticky on the lips. Not too terribly hot, but enough to warm me up just a bit.

D: Oh yeah, I could drink a few of these in a sitting. There is a ton of flavor in this beer, and everything works together quite nicely. Great coffee/barrel stout.

Thanks Levi!

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Purchased from Riley's Wine of the World in Madison WI in early February for $10.99/4 pack. Poured into a St. Bernardus Watou goblet.

Appearance: Dark brown, not quite black with a creamy 1 finger head. Small amount of lacing. Notes of copper in the head. Unusually light in color of an Imperial Stout.

Smell: Sweet vanilla front, oak spine, and coffee/bourbon backing. Great character to this beer.

Taste: The taste is what does it. It really takes off as soon as it hits your palate. Great vanilla character, with enough charred oak and bourbon to balance. Coffee backing. The vanilla really comes through. Marzipan, and slight molasses undertones.

Mouth: The mouthfeel is fantastic. Good level of carbonation, the vanilla makes for a silky smooth drinking beer.

Drink and overall: Very drinkable. Can hardly taste the 8.5% ABV, which I suppose is relatively mild for an Imperial Stout. I love this beer. I was very impressed the first time I tried it, and continues to impress with each additional tasting.

3.82/5  rDev -7.7%

12oz bottle of the 2011 vintage into a Birra del Borgo tulip. Thanks to Chris for bringing this one to the tasting.

A: Clear brown-orange body with a thin layer of ultra-fine tan bubbles. Radiant, but a little lacking in head, and I hate it when I don't get enough head.

S: Bourbon + oack are up front and intense, with sharp coffee backing up the booze. Heady.

T: Bourbon, coffee, bourbon, coffee, and bourbon. Some brown sugar, vanilla, and oak. Did I mention bourbon and coffee? It's tasty, but not quite transcendent - a little too bitter and hot.

M: Medium body with light carbonation. Underwhelming, but ok.

D: A little harsh with the fresh bourbon and coffee, but still quite enjoyable overall.

Notes: I was really looking forward to this one, since I've loved CW's other -bbl aged offerings, as well as the Brewhouse Coffee Stout. As good as this beer was, it really didn't measure up to the other specialties I've had from this wonderful brewery.

Cheers!

Edit: I picked up a 4-pack of the 2013 vintage, and it's incredible - huge coffee, rich dark chocolate, and just enough oak to cut through the sweetness. Terrific stout.

3.97/5  rDev -4.1%

2011 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours dark with a little head that quickly disappears. Hints of light make it though the edges. Smells mostly of bourbon with some roast. Taste is very smooth for being a newly bottled barrel-aged stout. I found this to be the case with their Barrel Aged Stout, too. I don't think these need to be aged, couldn't hurt but not really necessary. The roasted malt comes on first, followed by the bourbon, with a hint of coffee right at the end. Not an overpowering stout.

The mouthfeel is where I think this one doesn't quite move to the next level (thought the same thing about the Barrel Aged Stout). This is very light-bodied for the style, I prefer heavier. I don't know if I'd call this a double stout, I'd just call it a bourbon-flavored regular stout. I feel like I could drink a bunch of these in a sitting due to the light body but when I get in the mood to relax with a double I want something a bit more substantial.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very good tasting beer. I just don't think it quite holds up to some of the big character double stouts out there. I'm going to keep these in the fridge for a change of pace from time to time when I don't want to be weighed down.

12oz bottle poured into a large snifter. This one pours a seemingly thin dark brown. Not exactly what I was expecting from an imperial stout. A frail, one finger head, cocoa in color, rises from the pour and dissipates quickly leaving not lacing behind. A swirl of the glass leaves soapy, oily residue clinging to the glass which is actually quite nice.

The nose is dominated by a rich coffee profile, followed by an overly-sweet vanilla aspect. A lingering smell that can only be described as Play-Doh catches my attention on the back end, which is odd to say the least. Also, as much as I want to blame a faulty nose on my part, I know I smell ripe banana - not bad necessarily, just peculiar for this style.

Taste is again primarily of a strong batch of dark roast coffee, roasted malts and vanilla. Some oak flavors squeak through from the bourbon barrel aging but bourbon does not make much of an appearance. Chocolate becomes more pronounced as it warms. A good cup of coffee is the predominate theme with this one.

Alcohol is noticeable to a small degree. This mixed with the bitterness of the coffee notes does slightly take away from an otherwise drinkable beer. Mouthfeel on the other hand it really quite nice. Rich, smooth and a precise amount of carbonation trickle over the tongue in a superb fashion.

3.96/5  rDev -4.3%

This beer is dark as... shiitake mushrooms. Deep, deep chocolate tones with a slight alcohol tinge are the most present aromas, but another pass brings a fruity smell, but what fruit that is remains a question (think really faint apple or banana). The total smell experience is by no means lacking, but it does not stand out in comparison to the BBS. Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, and a vanilla/fruit mix permeate through the flavor profile. All of these tastes are equally balanced, but the coffee taste lingers well after the sip. Think of your best cup of coffee, and how you smile after each sip. This is the feeling that the Peruvian Morning brings. The mouthfeel of this beer is worth mentioning as well. The carbonation adds a crisp component to the otherwise big beer, adding both to the complexity and the lingering aftertaste.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

2011 vintage bottle poured into my Portsmouth tulip.

Pours a deep brown almost black with a finger of tan head that quickly fades to a thick collar.

Aroma isn't particularly strong, but what is there is dominated by an earthy and smoky bourbon. There's some hints of coffee and chocolate in the background, but it takes some deep inhales to find them.

Taste follows the smell with a good dose of smoky bourbon but with more chocolate in the background. The coffee isn't quite as strong as I remember from last year but there is a noticeable earthy and bitter coffee undertone.

Mouthfeel is extra thick and viscous with moderate carbonation. It's definitely a sipper, but a good one for the bourbon and coffee fan. This will be one that I track down each year it comes out.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

12oz bottle poured into 16oz snifter. 2011 vintage; received from seeswo as part of the Black Booty 2011 BIF. Thanks!

A: Very dark brown, with one finger tan head that dissipates quickly. Some spotty lacing.

S: Lots of coffee accompanied by dark roasted malts, very bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon. Just a hint of ethanol, but it adds to the bourbon effect- in this context, I like it.

T: The coffee and bourbon flavors are closely balanced here, accented by the aforementioned vanilla, chocolate, and malts; no ethanol this time around. At room temperature, the vanilla flavors are almost on par with the coffee and bourbon- delicious. Quite complex, and quite enjoyable, even when compared to the beer's already impressive smell.

M: Thin for this style, but rather smooth; a bit more thickness would be more enjoyable, and allow the flavors to linger on the finish longer. Light carbonation and low stickiness, which also would help things.

D: My glass went quickly; the complexity in this one really kept me interested in having the next sip. Hope I get another chance to try this one in the near future.

Peruvian Morning from Central Waters Brewing Co.