Peruvian Morning - Central Waters Brewing Co.

Peruvian MorningPeruvian Morning

Central Waters Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.50% ABV

2012 Release: Recalled due to infection
2013 Release: Recalled (at least in part) due to infection
2014 Release: Recalled due to infection

(Beer added by: brdc on 01-29-2008)
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Thank you, Ian, for this awesome extra!

A: Decanted into my snifter, this beer sits black with brown highlights and a tan head. Good retention, and nice lacework

S: This is a well done BA imperial stout. The coffee, chocolate and vanilla work very harmoniously, creating a very appealing nose. The vanilla is a little more pronounced than most, and in conjunction with the coffee, has a butterscotch-like aroma. Mild burnt malt and charred wood present in the back, with the wood coming out more as the beer warms up.

T: Opens up with some boozy bourbon heat, along with some chocolate, coffee and plenty of vanilla to go around. The bourbon heat is really noticeable, and on the cool spring evening, it's quite pleasant. Mildly bitter mid palate with some burnt malt and dark chocolate, with the vanilla lending some sweetness. Slightly harsh on the finish, with a tannic and boozy character along with some dark chocolate

M: I'm surprised to describe the body as medium, given that reviewers I trust have mentioned otherwise. Combined with the soft carbonation and a big, slick palate, this beer is a joy, until the booze and tannins on the finish take away from the enjoyment

D: This is a sipper, and one I'm enjoying. Well done, CW, and please brew this several times more and perfect it, as you're on the right track

DefenCorps, May 14, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz. bottle (big thx to milwaukeeclassic!) poured into my Deschutes snifter, Peruvian Morning is a super dark garnet/brown, with a big, dense tan head that is slow to rescind and leaves heavy lace.

Smell is good, vanilla, bourbon, coffee, mineral laden dirt, with strong, sweet alcohol vapors coming out as it warms, not as much bourbon notes tough as on the palate.

Taste is also nice, strong bourbon notes, not as much vanilla and coffee as the nose though, and while the ABV isn't know, it's clearly hefty. Which got to be a bit much by the end, like a glass of bourbon rather then a strong coffee stout with bourbon notes...really dominating any other aspects of the beer.

Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, tannic though, a touch thin almost, and very dry.

Drinkability is pretty good. Duane hooked me up with a whole gang of strong dark ales from this area, barrels, coffee, etc...and so far I've like the Tyreanna offerings better. Just a bit too much bourbon here, the barrels were obviously still pretty wet when they filled em up. Less heat would allow the coffee to come through stronger, which I'd prefer. By the end, this got to be a bit of a chore, and I had to drop it a final 1/2 point.

ccrida, May 14, 2009

12oz Bottle

A big "thank you" goes out to d0b for picking me up a bottle of this coffee stout on Saturday, cheers Dave! Peruvian Morning has the look of black coffee when leaving the bottle and appears midnight black when filling the snifter. A densely creamy beige head grows to two fingers on the pour and shows impressive retention with a collar that's even more impressive. The collar leaves behind some fancy looking creamy lacing along the walls of the glass.

I could smell this beer the second the lid popped off. I poured about a foot from my nose and could smell huge vanilla. Sticking my nose in the glass I get French roast coffee off the bat that's balanced perfectly with sweet vanilla, sweet & spicy bourbon, and buttery vanilla. A little dark chocolate and roasted malt hide in the back. The alcohol is perfectly hidden and this brew just makes my mouth water uncontrollably each time my nose enters the glass. I could easily sniff at this beer all night long.

The flavor doesn't live up to the aroma, which would be nearly impossible, but it's not far off either. The coffee comes across the tongue first with semi-sweet vanilla closely behind. Spicy and sweet bourbon hit mid-palate while the roasty character and dark chocolate lay down a solid foundation. You really can't ask for much better flavors coming out of a beer. Everything is so perfectly intertwined without any one aspect overstepping its bounds.

The mouthfeel is the only thing that's merely pedestrian. When I first started drinking this beer the mouthfeel was a little watery compared to where I thought it should have been. After some breathing in the glass the carbonation dies down and the body takes on a moderate mouthfeel with a bit of stick on the swallow. The finish is fairly dry which makes all the flavors really pop and there's zero noticeable alcohol.

For a coffee infused, bourbon barrel aged imperial stout the intensity doesn't wear on you like you think it would. I'd actually prefer this to be in a bomber which would be perfect for me.

Peruvian Morning is another beautiful creation from the folks over at Central Waters. They've really been pumping out some gems over the last few years and this is no exception and maybe the best of the bunch, if not it's close. Thanks for the hookup Dave!

joe1510, May 12, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance: Poured with a large fizzy head that calmed down and became very creamy and dissipated leaving some thick lacing at the top of my glass. The beer is a very dark brown, and only lets light through around the edges.

Smell: Strong coffee smell, roasted malt, dark chocolate, and some plum/cherry notes, the alcohol becomes quite noticeable as it warms.

Taste: Strong roasted coffee, strong buttery toffee, dark roasted malt, a lot of bourbon like flavor, harsh alcohol, ends with a small bitter burnt flavor

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, fizzy, alcohol burn, leaves mouth dry.

Overall: The drinkability isn't terrible, but the feel makes it a bit lower. This beer smells and looks pretty good, but once you drink it the mouthfeel is really distracting. The flavors aren't bad, although there is more of an alcohol presence than I would desire. The mouthfeel is very fizzy and does not match the flavors. Especially at first, the mouthfeel really takes away from the flavors and makes it hard to really enjoy them.

natasharai, May 09, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +13%

12oz bottle obtained in the No BS 4 BIF via dirtylou. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" tan head over the almosy opaque dark brown brew. Head falls slowly, with average lacing. Aroma is coffee, maple syrup, and barrel notes. Taste truly shadows the nose, with the barrel character of vanilla and whiskey dominant at the close. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is WAY too easy for what it is. Wish I could find come more easily.

ppoitras, May 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. As it pours there's a glint of red, but in the glass it's pitch black with soft burnt sienna at it's edges. Spots of lace, the tan foam rekindles with a swirl. Aroma is all buttery oak and vanilla. First sip is a nice impression of dark roast coffee, vanilla, fudgy chocolate frosting, and faint bourbon on the back end. Bitterness is slight, as is the sweetness. It's like a good cup of coffee blended with a dropper full of bourbon and melted chocolate milkshake. Feel is on par with other CW barrel-aged stouts, not huge and not wimpy, just right. It's very tasty, not sure if I prefer their Bourbon Cherry Stout more or not...

emerge077, May 07, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -34.1%

A- Medium tan head that drops some what quickly, leaving a think cap on the beer. The beer itself is a very dark brown.

S- Very sweet syrupy aroma, chocolate, BUTTER, caramel, vanilla, bourbon and some oak all mixed together in an aroma that actually rubs me the wrong way.

T- The taste is much better then the aroma. Milk chocolate, caramel, some buttery bourbon flavors along with some coffee and hop presence. As it warmed up more butter flavors came through and I had a hard time drinking it.

M- Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation, but not over done.

Overall this is not a good imperial stout . I would not buy it again.

br3wmeister, May 04, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

Received this from Opethsprite in a trade at Dark Lord Day '09. A bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout made with freshly roasted coffee, sold! Drank from my Surly Darkness snifter.

Appearance- Pours a dark murky brown with a perfect one fingered creamy dark tan head. A fantastic cap and collar remain the entire beer as well as loads of spotty sticky lacing.
Smell- Mmmm... Full of smooth vanilla and creamy black coffee with a slight bit of light sweetness. A bit of buttery oak intermingles with the aforementioned vanilla flawlessly creating the softest (in terms of intertwining smells, not potency) nose I've smelled. A bit of caramel malt pokes through as well as some chocolate Tootsie Rolls. Great nose.
Taste- Starts with a smidgen of lightly bitter roasted coffee and a twinge of sharp alcohol. The malt is sort of roasty and toasty with a slight caramel taste that slowly gives way to a bit of oak and vanilla. The bourbon barrel definitely isn't overdone and it really only makes it appearance in the finish (for the most part). My only complaint though is that it's slightly astringent and the alcohol is sort of prominent. Finishes slightly toasted, even nutty, with a bit of vanilla and oak.
Mouthfeel- Big and rich and creamy with very nice carbonation that is soft and perfect for this beer.
Drinkability- This beer is fantastic. The nose is heavenly, maybe pound-for-pound the best brew I've ever smelled. The taste is really nice as well but if I hear a beer has coffee it in, I want that coffee to dominate. Also it's slightly astringent but nothing I can't get past. All in all very tasty stuff that I wish I had a bottle or two more of. Thanks much Shannon!

younger35, May 02, 2009
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A--Pours a near black shade of brown that glows dark red when held to the light. 2 fingers of head using a standard pour in a pint glass. Recedes slowly and almost wants to just camp out at a half an inch tall.

S--Wood, coffee beans, cherry, vanilla, caramel, a slight boozy sting on the nostrils. This is fairly complex yet subtle and requiring attention.

T--The extra bit of coffee I was looking for definitely comes through in the taste, but it does not sacrifice the complexity one bit. Wow, I have to take a moment and gather my thought. Let's see...fresh coffee beans, wood, vanilla, caramel, floral hops, cocoa powder, hints of fruit. This is very complex, but somehow is not a sensory explosion. They managed to pack a ton of flavor into an easy to drink brew.

M--Medium bodied and creamy with slightly too much carbonation sting for an imperial stout.

D--I'm already feeling this hit me and I'm not even done with 12 oz. It's hard not to keep reaching for the pint glass though, this one calls out my name for more

alcstradamus, May 01, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Dark auburn/brown body. Thin creamy brown head. Lace comes in sporadic rings. Really thick aroma of caramel and burnt cream and toffee. Also some coffee notes. Reminds me of the aroma for Southern Tier Creme Brulee. Very unique. Very thick. And very inviting. The flavor has a "spent" coffee grain flavor to go with the thick caramel and burnt nougat goodness. Pretty bold and actually pretty unique for a coffee beer. This one has got a pretty sturdy body and enough carbonation to prick the tongue. The overall experience is quite good.

Bighuge, Apr 27, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +20%

This is hands down one of, if not the best coffee beer I have ever had. This is coming from the man who can take an IV of Valdez! Served chilled and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 04/26/2009.

The pour was brilliant. Huge billowing head of tan came up and over the top of a dark black liquid that no light could push through. Smooth and even settling led to a spider web like coating all along the insides of the glass and a nice quarter inch of lace stuck on top. The aroma was the strongest coffee smell I have ever had come off of a beer before! Huge notes of well roasted coffee. As it warms soft notes of vanilla and molasses start to pop through. It was all I could do to keep myself from devouring the entire glass at once. The first sip was like pure heaven for me. Such a smooth, rich and full bodied feel, I was beside myself. Rich decadent coffee flavor melded with a seemlingly endless barage of vanilla. This was nuts. I sipped my way through it like I would a perfect cup of cappucino, it was sublime. Subtle notes of molasses, complimented the vanilla and as it worked its way through the final sips, chocolate just layered across the tongue.

What can I say here, this is a beer that was simply made for me. Insanely good with a rich texture, sweet coffee flavor and an overall approach that is second to none. I need this everyday.

mikesgroove, Apr 26, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

this stout pours a dark black cherry with a mahogany hue it has a nice creamy head that dissipates nicely to a 1/4 inch mahogany ring til finish.the smell is of coffee and bourbon followed by a cream cherry smell i also smell vanilla bean.. the taste is unbelievably smooth its starts out like roasted coffee and then cocoa and molasses tastes followed by a bourbon vanilla/cherry and cream finish very smooth..the mouth fell is semi- thick and it cotes the senses with the tastes and smells but never overpowers... you just want another sip it gets better and better as it warms.. to bad this beer is in limited release i wish i bought more of this one..its still in the stores so buy/try this one if you can find b4 its gone.

gatornation, Apr 26, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8%

Picked up in one of our too-many-to-remember forays across the border to Wisconsin in order to shanghai some of their delicious beer. Split a 12 oz. bottle with the wife. Good morning?

It's black, frothy, & smells like coffee. Nothing else comes through that smell.

A sip is shocking. I expect the flavor to follow the nose, but there's the bourbon flailing around in the mix along with a solid doses of liquid vanilla ice cream. Mix up some bourbon, stout, & vanilla creamer & I think this is what you'd get if you did it right. To quote my wife, I'd like to allow this warm up but I'm not sure it's going to survive the next five minutes. Patience. <?>

Terrifically creamy & smooth. THIS is a breakfast stout! The sole little quibble I could make with the Peruvian is the drinkability suffers a bit from the heaviness; I'm only about 4 ounces in & it's already weighing in my rumbly tummy like a dark, yummy rock. That's OK. I can take it.

Simply a terrific beer. Anyone who's a fan of stouts, bourbon, or coffee should seek this out immediately. I've had two of Central Waters 'big' beers & they've both been extremely high quality - sign me up as a fan.

maximum12, Apr 19, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

12oz received in a super trade from Abents... Thanks Adam... This one sounds great... Now I will see... Poured into my Chimay Goblet.

1" tan head looks great and sticks around for quite a while.. descent lacing atop a deep black brew.

Nose is cold brewed coffee with quite a bit of milk chocolate and only subtle bourbon notes that mainly show up as vanilla..

Flavor mirrors the nose exactly... everything is just so well implemented.. very smooth.. lush.. and very complex.. chocolate comes in waves.. with mild coffee notes in between .. the bourbon barrel aging isn't overdone and lends perfectly to adding just enough complexity to make it nearly perfect... The body is medium and slick.. oily feeling accentuated by a fairly light carbonation... This brew is a huge winner in my mind... I would drink it now because I can only imagine the coffee flavors getting more muted with time.

Adam.. I really appreciate you suggesting we work in a couple of these... Now I wish I would have insisted on more... Thanks again from your new best friend in Idaho.

4.5/4/4.5/4.5/4

JohnGalt1, Apr 16, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Black pour, and this one almost keeps out the lights, but not quite. Barely opaque, with a graham cracker brown colored head.

Vanilla, coffee, and caramel aromas are rich and strong. Maybe more butterscotch than caramel actually.

Sweet caramel and vanilla, with a dark blend coffee. Burnt flavors are astringent. Some powdered cocoa comes through, but a little further into it. Pretty tasty beer, suited for either breakfast, or dessert!

Creamy medium bodied, shortish finish, pretty sweet.

Good tasting Double Stout. A strong few flavors really shine here, and not much really bad here. One of the better stouts I've had in awhile. I'll be trying to find a few more of these, and maybe hang on to a few.

dancinwillie, Apr 16, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

Being a Peruvian, I felt it was only right that I try and review this beer. Although if I were truly Peruvian, I'd be drinking Cusquena and talking shit about how much our national soccer team sucks. Also, I'd eat nothing but ceviche and think I was God's gift to women no matter how ugly or old I was. But let's get down to brass tacks here.

A - Nice black viscous brew with tan head. Lots of foam that sticks around the edges, but head retention is minimal

S - Something a bit funky going on here - smoky and some molasses, but then a weird sourness, like a coconut porter. Not terribly appealing.

T - A lot of coffee up front, then mellows out to a chocolatey middle, and well...it tastes like chocolate covered espresso beans. Not bad at all.

M - I can definitely say this is "chewy." Not terribly carbonated, smooth and stout-like.

D - Definitely order another one of these, if just for rarity. Not one of my favorites in the stout genre. Where's my Cusquena?

raoulduke37, Apr 10, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to Eyncognito for this 12 oz bottle.

A: The stout is pitch black, a cup of coffee no doubt. A finger of head quickly settled down, leaving just a thin white pool.

S: The nose is a three-pronged attack. Rich coffee flavors are first, followed by thick burnt malts of chocolate and vanilla from the bourbon barrels. The nose is absolutely beautiful.

T: Coffee flavors, reminiscent of CW's coffee stout (Emy J's seems like one hell of a roaster), start the taste off right. Flavors are rich and bold, mildly bitter. Full stout flavors, burnt and acrid, follow the coffee. The flavors are full with chocolate and molasses. The bourbon is late to the game but it really adds to the flavor. Sweet vanilla and warming booze mix freely with the coffee and stout. The sweetness is fleeting, coming and going without much ado. The finish is very charred with hints of vanilla and coffee.

M: The mouthfeel changes course many times through the glass. Coffee is followed by chocolate and bourbon and burnt malts. The bourbon mid-sip is fast and furious.

D: This is as good as I expected it to be. A real doozy that is one of the best coffee/bourbon stouts out there. Central Waters really knows its way around the style.

akorsak, Apr 06, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A. Nearly black with a really nice tan head that settles slowly to about 1/8" and stays that way to the very end. Patchy lacing follows the beer down my glass.

S. Vanilla/chocolate and the richest whole bean coffee you can imagine that has just been freshly ground. Sort of like a coffee flavored ice cream drink. Monumental.

T. Just as rich as it smells - coffee and vanilla take center stage with secondary chocolate flavors. This beer is rich but not cloying or clumsy. The back end has enough bitterness (not sure if this is from hops or roasted malt) to keep it refreshing. Leaves a long flavorful aftertaste.

M. Full bodied with a creamy texture. Carbonated perfectly to add to its drinkability.

D. Oftentimes I tire quickly of big, rich bourbon barrel aged stouts. Central Waters has managed to pack a ton of flavor into this beer without over doing it. I need to get more of this stuff fast. Bravo!!

bound4er, Apr 03, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Massive thanks to madtowndmb1 for hooking this gem up as an extra! It only seems fitting for my 500th review.

Appears nearly black in color with some mahogany hues when held up to the light. A one inch tan head forms on top and falls to a skim and retains extremely well considering it's in a snifter. Moderate lacing is left on the glass.

Aroma is full of deep roasted coffee tones much like their regular Coffee Stout. There are some mild bourbon notes and and a substantial vanilla tone. A touch of oak and some light chocolate tones round this one out.

Taste has tons of coffee up front with the vanilla component coming through strongly midway through alongside some warm bourbon flavors. Some chocolate flavors come through towards the finish with a bit of an earthy oak tone. Finishes with lingering tones of coffee, chocolate, and bourbon.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, very creamy texture.

This is an epic beer. The only thing I can compare it to is GI Bourbon County Stout. The addition of coffee makes this one quite different. Either way, this is one amazing beer.

roadhouse, Mar 28, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7%

Pours a dark black with a tan head. Smell is very complex, vanilla, coffee, chocolate. The taste even more so. The coffee comes through more than the bourbon, but a sweet whiskey barrel flavor is there just under the surface. Often times these "everything but the kitchen sink" beers, especially in the imperial stout realm, become to jumbled, but this retains an astounding complexity and drinkability.
I had this in a tasting with 12 stouts, including Three Floyds, New Glarus, and Samuel Smiths, and this really stood out.
With their coffee stout, the bourbon barrel, and Satin Solstice, and now this, Central Waters might be the best stout brewery out there (sorry Larry Bell).

Sconnie, Mar 25, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +1%

Deep dark pour with a quickly receding head.

Whiffs on sweet bourbon, coffee, dark chocolate, and a hint of alcohol.

Tastes are reminiscent of Tyranena's Devil Over a Barrel. Coffee accented well by the bourbon with some cherry and vanilla on the finish.

Drinkability is dangerously high. A very nice stout.

BarrytheBear, Mar 13, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8%

Poured into a snifter, the beer is very dark brown. The beige head is half an inch high with good retention and little lacing.

This beer has a really nice aroma. The rich chocolate is outstanding, and the underlying coffee character is at a nice, low level. In other words, this doesn't taste like they just dumped gallons of coffee into the beer so they could add coffee to the description, but rather carefully, artfully, and tastefully infused the beer with enough coffee to complement the other aromas and never dominate them. The rich cocoa/chocolate aroma masks any trace of hops that might be hiding within. The bourbon works really well with the aroma of this beer and the vanilla is nice.

The flavor is also really good. Like the aroma, the flavor is very rich. The delicious chocolate is present, and the coffee is understated again, but it does manage to impart some bitterness in the finish. I'd love to know how long this spent in the barrels. The bourbon is at a nice medium level throughout. The alcohol presence is not strong in the beer. The finish is very chocolaty with some vanilla, and the first trace of bitterness is evident now. This is also the point when the coffee was most noticeable in this beer. I dig this Emy J's coffee.

Full bodied with medium carbonation, with a dry and creamy mouthfeel. Peruvian Morning is an extremely enjoyable stout and I'd recommend seeking it out.

HopHead84, Mar 09, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottle with a nice black and white picture of Machu Picchu on the label.
Pours out a dark black with nice tan head that laces well. Sweet bourbon nose with a touch of chocolate and coffee. Taste is huge with a big bourbon presence followed by bitter coffee flavors. Light almost creamy texture, sweet warming alcohol presence. A little too much in the bourbon for me, but will review it again later. Pretty big beer right now, will be a lot better with a little time on it, but this is a very nice beer.

abents, Mar 09, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

A: jet black
S: very good with hints of roasted caramel and coffee (coffee caramel torte?)
T: nice, but not as good as the straight bourbon barrel stouts they make, coffee bitterness seems to bite into the vanilla and caramel of the non-coffee CW RIS
M: good
D: nice and well-balanced

wisrarebeer, Mar 07, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +9.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a dark, dark chocolate brown with a small creamy off-white head that hangs on as a cap for a while with plenty of carbonation feeding the head. Lacing is pretty good.

Personally, I think the aroma is spectacular. It's got the freshly roasted coffee scents from the normal coffee stout but with a great balance of bourbon in the mix.

The taste has a much more aggressive bourbon presence with a strong boozy kick up front. The roasted coffee and dark malts form a strong backbone but then give way to a big bourbon aftertaste that burns for quite a while after each sip.

The mouthfeel is slic and a bit oil with plenty of bourbon notes and a soft carbonation that tingles the tongue.

The bourbon is a bit overpowering the taste for this beer though the aroma is world class in my opinion. I probably prefer CW's Coffee Stout to this, but I definitely enjoyed this beer.

gford217, Mar 06, 2009
Peruvian Morning from Central Waters Brewing Co.