Peruvian Morning - Central Waters Brewing Co.

Peruvian MorningPeruvian Morning

Central Waters Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.50% ABV

2012 Release: Recalled due to infection
2013 Release: Recalled (at least in part) due to infection
2014 Release: Recalled due to infection

(Beer added by: brdc on 01-29-2008)

pk18, Jan 28, 2013

CJS, Jan 22, 2013

sliks96, Jan 21, 2013

DCgolfpro, Jan 17, 2013
2.49/5  rDev -39.9%

2012. Thanks to Joe for this one!

A: A decent looking beer, very deep brown, not quite black, with a small tan head on top that leaves a nice cap on top. No lacing though.

S: Has a really nice aroma, plenty of coffee and chocolate. Some caramel and a little vanilla mixed in.

T: The flavor however, is quite a bit different. It took a while for the infection to really show through, it was masked by the temperature at first. Rather sour, some cherry and a bit of vinegar mask some light chocolate and coffee underneath.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation.

O: Was hoping it wasn't infected and had high hopes based off the aroma, but the flavor was just off.

mdaschaf, Jan 12, 2013

AlexFields, Jan 11, 2013
1.91/5  rDev -53.9%

EDIT:

2013 Version

I was pretty excited to try the newer batch as my 2012 bottle was terrible. Well, I was doubly disappointed with this year's batch. Poured beautifully, left some lacing overall looked good.

Smell initially was fantastic, with coffee and vanilla and bourbon all seeming to come through beautifully. Where they lost me...AGAIN...is the taste. This is what a beer tastes like that is turning sour. HOW could you do this to a beer brand 2 years in a row, especially if you knew that last years was flawed??

I adjusted my reviews accordingly. Is this literally the worst tasting beer I've ever had? No, but it is the worst tasting bourbon-barrel aged coffee stout that I have ever had. I'm done with Peruvian Morning.
___

2012 Version.

Black body topped by a decent sized, tan, foam head. When held up to light, you can see deep garnet hues through the beer. Head recedes to a pretty thick layer on top and stays around a while.

The beer smells as advertised: bourbon and coffee. Pretty even balance between the two delivers notes of vanilla, espresso, and cocoa. Pretty tasty aroma, though there is something slightly off. Not sure how to verbalize it though.

Whoops....what is wrong with this beer?! I certainly was not expecting this to be sour or tart at all, and yet this beer has quite a bite to it! Tart on the backend towards the sides and then a biting finish. I think it is probable that this beer was infected. Aside from that major issue however, there is a mild flavor of coffee and bourbon. So while this is beer is not great, it could taste worse.

Very light bodied. Carbonation is decent, good in fact. The body is just remarkably light bodied for a stout though. It really should have more body here, and this helps me think that there is an infection with this beer.

I have had some great beers from Central Waters, but this isn't one of them. I will be on the lookout for any previous releases, or future releases. But in general I will completely avoid any 2012 bottle, especially at $5 a 12 oz. bottle.

MusicaleMike, Jan 11, 2013

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, stig!

A pretty imperial stout. Very dark brown, bordering on black throughout, with a nice dark brown cap that leaves irregular spiderwebs of sticky bubbles down the glass.

The terrible infection isn't nearly as detectable in the aroma. There's still some distinct coffee and chocolate notes left lingering, though any barrel presence has seemed to turn into a bit of a vinegar/sour/cherry/tart intrusion.

The flavor is indeed awfully infected. It wasn't so bad at its coldest temperature, but upon minutes of warming, this beer is undrinkable. Sharp notes of vinegar, sour, stale cherries, don't mix at all well with some lingering coffee and chocolate notes. Not the worst thing I've put in my mouth, but not a lot redeeming attributes here.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

I will find something else to drink tonight.

ehammond1, Dec 30, 2012

BierBliss, Dec 26, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -26.8%

APPEARANCE: This foams up a lot more than I expected a big Imperial Stout to. A full finger of head swells up, leaving just enough space in my glass to pour this beer sans sediment that I could see through the bottle. The color is pitch black with a touch of brown coming through around the edges.

SMELL: Uh oh. I’m smelling citrus right off the bat. For an IPA, great, and maybe for a big stout, but for it to be this dominant makes me worry that, sadly, this may be one of those infected. There’s also an unusual, but nice cola smell. A little coffee and chocolate can also be detected, but only after the head fades.

The chocolate really picks up a lot as it warms, and actually becomes a wonderfully dominating aroma. So, unlike as I am about to describe in the taste, the smell gets better with warmth.

TASTE: Dark chocolate, vanilla and mocha. There isn’t as much roasty flavor as I expected, but there certainly is coffee, just more like a mocha flavor with heavy chocolate and maybe even a hint of caramel. The vanilla is very nice and rounding too, but this is off just enough to prevent it from being great. That tart citrus from the nose is just too strong here and it overwhelms the intended flavors. It really is a shame because it is clear to see what a great beer this has the potential to be. Looking forward to trying next year’s batch.

What’s worse is that as this warms it is tasting more and more off. Ugh. So sad. I’m looking back into previous reviews now and someone before me said “a bit of soy sauce”. Yep. There’s that, and it doesn’t belong here.

MOUTHFEEL: Sadly, the most notable element of the mouthfeel is the slight pucker that comes from the tartness. Otherwise, it has a light tickle, although more carbonation than usual from an imperial stout.

OVERALL: The only other Central Waters offerings I have had have been incredible. This is clearly a beer that set out to be amazing, and elements of greatness are there, but I think it is only fair to review it as I had it. After all, the brewery let it out there and people should know what they’re dealing with when deciding to purchase, or trade for, this beer.

StoneTSR, Dec 25, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

More bottles from my latest Philly run. I am feeling adventurous today and may try to eradicate the bottle backlog that has been an albatross since school started back.

Yep, it's the infamous January 2012 bottling, but I am a gambler, plus in talking to the brewer at the pre-GTMW 2012 party, he said that its flaw is one that I do not easily discern anyway. Cool!i

From the bottle: "A bourbon barrel aged imperial stout made with freshly roasted Emy J's coffee. This beer is as complex as it gets. Flavors of vanilla, tannins, and coffee meld together to create a flavor as deep as the ravines of the Peruvian Andes."

Post-pour: Sofa! Sofa, so good. No fountaining or other signs of untoward madness. Instead, a cap of dense, rocky deep-tan has formed with excellent retention. Color is a deep dark-brown with caramel highlights. I definitely get the coffee on the nose along with vanilla or coconut from the bourbon. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and the bourbon was the initial taste on my tongue, followed by the coffee roastiness. Finish was initially somewhat hot, perhaps a construct of the bourbon, but once that faded, I got a nice combination of coffee and bourbon. I am now inspired to put a dollop into my coffee later this AM. I may need a nap after this, however.

woodychandler, Dec 16, 2012

tmt71883, Dec 16, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -1%

Pours a viscous super dark brown. almost black color with a medium sized khaki head that leaves some spotty lacking behind as it recedes.

Aromas are pretty intense with initial roasted coffee beans and dark chocolate maltiness up front. More brewed coffee flavor elements complement the emerging oaky bourbon barrel leading to an almost charred woodiness.

The tastes begin the same with coffee and bitter dark chocolate up front. Soon the bourbon barrel oak and boozy raisiny sweetness joins in by mid-palate. The oak help to dry out the finish with some lingering espresso and charred flavors.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. Finish is fairly roasty and dry.

Overall this beer delivers as advertised. Lots of roasted coffee flavors complemented by the barrel characteristics. The lower ABV for the style improves drinkability and helps the coffee aromas and flavors to "pop" more than a bigger beer would. Great after dinner/winter beer for sure.

claspada, Dec 10, 2012

krl2112, Dec 07, 2012

GOGRANDE, Nov 28, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +15.5%

Had this one on the shelf since late 09 or early 2010...so it's nicely aged. Unfortunately didn't have an extra to crack at the time...guess I'll have to make another trip back through Wisconsin (if you're reading this and want Montana beers, trades welcomed!)

Appearance: Poured into a snifter. Pours a chocolate brown, not as opaque as I'd expect, letting a fair amount of light through, with about a half finger of head that subsides somewhat, but lingers longer than anticipated in the form of a ring around the glass and some foam on the top. The bubbles are uneven, with medium sized ones floating to the top pretty steadily, though it's by no means fast carbonation. As they linger on the edge of the glass, they get smaller and turn into a fine foam, which is closer to creme brulee in color than mocha. I would normally expect this beer to appear less carbonated and more slick, but this is a pleasant surprise for the style.

Smell: Somewhat abrasive in the nose, in the best way, with cool undertones. The hops bring just enough spice to blend with some nice chocolate and coffee malts that dominate the smell of this brew. Undertones of vanilla and cream--smells COLD, as much as that's possible. Even some subtle hints of raisins, cinnamon, and sour cherries...maybe even a little wine. Lovely--and, as it warms, interestingly enough, the sharper tones shine even more in the blend, with maybe a bit of smoke shining through.

Taste: This one is fascinating. First, it's cold and smooth--and that's not just the temperature it's at, it truly TASTES cold initially, with heavy cream and vanilla notes. Almost immediately, though, the taste turns to that of sour cherries, and the heat comes out (though it's not HOT, it just is a pleasant warmth) to be blended in with heavy chocolate notes. The coffee is there too, but the sour cherries, dark chocolate, and smoke dominate. And I'm not talking about as it warms--every sip starts with this cool, creamy, awesome taste that then warms with alcohol heat, cherries and chocolate. So great and unique. Slight but pleasant bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This one's about right, though not exactly what I'd call perfect. It's nice, cool, and smooth, but the carbonation gets a little foamy in the finish. I wonder though if this could be more crisp and still retain the excellent cold smoothness. Strikes me as a tough one, and this may be about as good as it could get.

Overall, this is one of my favorites, and I'm glad I took the time to review it. It's been a while for me with reviews, and I'd set this one aside until I had the time. I could sip this all evening (granted, it's a winter evening...in Montana). This is one of the greatest Central Waters brews I've had, and a great reminder of why they remain one of my favorite breweries despite being painfully inaccessible where I live.

afausser, Nov 27, 2012
Peruvian Morning from Central Waters Brewing Co.