Hop Harvest - Central Waters Brewing Co.

Hop HarvestHop Harvest

good

Central Waters Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-26-2009

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 91 | Reviews: 48
3.67/5  rDev +4%

A - Pale coper colored body with a decent hea. It leaves a nice subtle lacing as well.

S - I'm not all that conviced that this brew is gonna knock my socks off just by the aroma. While the name, Hop Harvest implies to me this is gonna be a well hopped brew, the scent doesn't reflect that thought. It has a slight aroma of leafy, grassy and floral hops.

T - The flavor here is good. Mainly malt with hints of leafy and grassy hops. The sweet malt flavor supercedes the hops but doesn't kill them.

M - Watery and crisp, just as I would expect from a ripe American Pale Ale.

~ This is a sessionable brew. One I would certainly suggest to friends. It would be nice to see the Central Waters original on tap throughout Wisconsin. But only if Happy Heron can't be.

bomber poured into an oversized wine glass. pours a rich golden color with two fingers of slowly settling head that has great retention and leaves moderate lacings.

aroma is of light grain and a hearty citrus hop presence that has a bit of spice mixed in after some swirling.

taste is more of the same with a nice, soft hop character that is assertive but not bitter at all. an odd characteristic for a hoppy beer, but it works quite well.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a semi-dry texture and a clean finish of little residual.

drinkability is solid. a soft and easy going pale with a pleasant hop quality. all in all a solid beer that is drinkable and flavorful. cheers!

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22oz bottle into CBS snifter. Served chilled...

A) A deeper amber with a little haze. This had 2 fingers of foam, which settled quickly to a thin dusting. Good amount of lacing.

S) Mild aroma of grass, light flower petal, orange peel shavings. Faint sweetness in the background.

T) A very grassy flavor, earthy hops, lots of citrus bite, light malt sweetness attempts to balance this one out.

M) A lighter medium body, with moderate carbonation. The citrus zest lingers on the palate. It's a crisp brew with a slightly dry finish.

O) I was looking forward to trying this one out, and while it wasn't a total disappointment, it was not up to snuff in comparison to several other wet hop brews I've had the pleasure of drinking recently. On the plus side, there's nothing offensive about this beer, and it is pretty easy drinking. It was worth a try...

3.22/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear golden, weak head.

Smell is grainy, verging on grassy/buttery.

Taste is mild. Subtle grain flavor with a slight slow piney finish. Pleasant enough but comes off strangely lacking in hops.

Mouthfeel on the thin side.

This is nothing like I expected from a wet hop beer. If I come at it thinking this is a tame regular version of a pale ale, it's passable but quite bland. Certainly anything your average homebrewer could come up with. I like the concept, but in the execution perhaps more hops were needed?

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

I just tried this beer as I try all new C.W. beers. This one wasn't for me.

Poured a light yellow straw color with almost no head. The smell was not present at all. Taste was much better than the smell indicated but still wasn't my favorite. Good drinking beer for someone getting into wet hopped ale's but I was hopeing for a bigger beer.

Still LOVE the brewery!

4.15/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a perfect.

Pours a light straw with no discernable cloud. Nice fluffy head settles to a sticky cap.

Aroma is of light husky grain, bready and slightly dusty. Middle comes with fruity hops with slightly floral notes. Finishes sweetly fruity and floral. Aroma doesn't grab me by the nose, but it is very apparent.

Flavor opens with husky grain, slightly tannic and a little acidic. Like the nose, the middle yeilds to fruity and floral hops with a nice amount of bitterness. Malt finishes the show, crackery and with slight hints of cream and toffee. Excellent.

Mouthfeel is creamy and light at the same time. Very full mouthfeel with a middle to light body. The carbonation is lush and soft. Very nice.

This is a very drinkable, very tasty beer. An outstanding example of an APA. Recommend.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

Picked up a 22Oz of this fresh from the brewery last weekend (42 mile round trip bike ride from Point).

Pours a light wheat color with a decent white head that settled into a very thin cap. There is a lot of bubbly carbonation rising from the bottom. The aroma is a little weak. There is a citrus presence, and a mild floral nose but very subtle. The taste is nice and calm, no big POP that I would look for in a good pale ale. Balance is there with the malt finish. This is a decent brew, but for the price of the bottle I could get a sixer of something a little better.

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Central Waters is using fresh hops from Wsiconsin and the Midwest Hops and Barley Co-op. Glad to see that.

The pour is light amber to golden. Thick head has staying power. Provided some nice lace.

Nose is bit understated for style - grassy, a bit of carmel malt.

Entry is fairly full and builds out nicely. Flavor of carmel malts, floral, perfumey hops, grass. Snappy bitterness, but balanced beer. Biscuit flavor midmouth. I like the flavor profile of the hops. It is not a northwest "C" hop blast, but a unique Wisconsin indiginous flavor. Spicy and floral.

We need more of this type of beer! It is local and fresh. It brings local flavor to the market, delivered well. Nice effort.

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a bottle 22 oz bottle. Appearance is yellow with soft white head that is not very persistent. For a beer that calls attention to its hops, this beer is rather malt forward. The aroma smells of grainy pilsner malt, with only a tickle of hop spicyness. The flavor delivers what the aroma promises. The sweet grainy malt is reminiscent of European lagers than an American pale ale. Don't get me wrong; I love this malt character. The beer just doesn't deliver on the proise converyed by the name "Hop Harvest." The hops carry little aroma, and perhaps more could be used in a bittering capacity, but they do contribute a cattiness that helps cut through the sweetness of the malt. They also may be responsible for delivering a slight astringency to the finish, which cuts through a viscous initial mouth feel.

In all, it is an interesting beer. It comes across to me as a pilsner-like ale with some cattiness from American hops. It would benefit from having more hop aroma and perhaps a bit more bitterness.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to my beer loving friends JDostal and Mike for this bottle!

A - Poured from the brown bomber into a clear pint glass. The body of this brew is a nearly crystal clear yellow/gold color topped with a bright white head. Head retention was decent and left a nice curtain of lacing down the inside of my glass.

S - Kind of a sweet smelling malt body with hints of citric hops in the background. Doesn't smell very hoppy.

T & M - The taste is certainly hoppier than the nose would have suggested. To me, the hops seem both earthy and grassy. The malts that I smelled in the nose are actually on the low end taste wise but help to balance out the hop kick. Light to medium bodied and finishes with a slight hop aftertaste. Carbonation is on the very low end.

D - A pretty decent example of an APA. Seems like this beer has been hit or miss in the reviews, I'm wondering if some people got a bad bottle, because this one was pretty decent to me.

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bomber into imperial pint.

A- A light golden straw color that has a little haze to it. A decent pour yields about a finger's worth of heady that is pillowy and leaves a nice little cap on the beer. Minimal lacing is left behind.

S- Faint hops and almost a sugary sweetness. Really nothing much else to speak of.

T- The hops are a bit more pronounced than in the nose but not by much. The malt doesn't lend that much in way of flavor and there is a little bit of a grass note in there as well.

M- Medium bodied with light carbonation. No real bitterness but the beer almost has a grainy feel to it.

D- I am guessing that this beer isn't very high but still I wouldn't have more than a bomber of this stuff. Seems kind of stale and really, nothing about it stands out to me. I would try one of CW's other better offerings.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours an clear light tan/orange colour, with a head that recedes within a few minutes of the pour. Lots of irregular sized bubbles, staring at me...

Smell is reminiscent of 2-row malt mashing if you were to throw a bunch of hops in. Kind of skunky flowery smell infiltrating the nostrils.

Taste is of inviting pale malt intermingling with bright flowery hops. Twangy light "crisp light lager" flavour. Lingering leafy hop bitterness...

Mouthfeel--light, crisp, cleansing the palette with each sip.

Drinkability-- Pretty easy going, I was expecting a bit more from this one though.

3.29/5  rDev -6.8%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 22oz bomber bottle to a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep yellow color with a thick slightly off-white head that sticks around for awhile and is even more pronounced on the second pour.

Smell: Not as hoppy as I was anticipating, but the grassy hops still dominated. A hint of malt comes through as well.

Taste: As expected the grassy hops dominates with a little malt trying to balance things out. I don't think it works that great though.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth and medium-bodied. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability: Pretty drinkable brew but just lacking a little something in the taste department. Would try again though.

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

22oz brown bottle poured into my Central Waters pint glass...

Pours a clear golden amber with two fingers of meringue-like white head. Leaves some nice lacing behind...

Rather muted aroma of grain and some earthy hops. Not that bright citrus or piny hop aroma you expect from most other Harvest Ales...Although there is a shortage of hops in the nose, the beer smells crisp and fresh...

Smooth, crisp, grainy with some grassy, earthy bitterness. A touch of sweetness up front cuts into the mild hop presence, there is a slight lingering bitterness...

Light to medium bodied with decent carbonation. Highly drinkable, smooth and crisp. Taste is fresh, clean and simple. There is a slight lingering bitter aftertaste...

Not what I have come to expect from Harvest Ales (especially if looked at next to Broo Doo or Founders Harvest). The beer actually resembles a Pilsner to me more than an APA, what the beer lacks in up front hop presence, it makes up for with simplicity, freshness and is an overall clean and easy drinking beer...

3.47/5  rDev -1.7%

Bomber served in a standard pint glass

A - Light & sparkling, quality lacing which makes up for the lack of head

S - Honey, lemon, floral hops

T - Lager yeast and fresh grains --> loads of honey and caramel --> floral hops and more malt on the finish

M - Light to medium-bodied; gets syrupy

D - Too sweet & not enough hops to make me come back for more

This is a solid beer, but I expect more from a fresh hop ale, especially from Central Waters. Worth trying, but not writing home about.

3.06/5  rDev -13.3%

Purchased at Ray's Liquors in Wauwatosa, WI. Pours a light straw body with a thick puffy white head. Aroma is surprisingly faint. I can really only pick up a hint of sweet malt; disappointing. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation. Flavor is sticky sweet with a smooth, more subtle bitterness. Overall, not really bitter at all. This doesn't have the big hop flavor and aroma I would expect from a fresh hop ale, but passable as a decent APA.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured In: Tulip Glass

Appearance: Pours a perfectly clear golden hay and straw color. My aggressive pour leads to three fingers of head, but it dissipates quickly. The beer is slightly effervescent; there's a thin stream of bubbles continually making their way to the top of the glass. The lace is better than I was expecting, a few sheets of lace cover one hundred and eighty degrees of the glass.

Smell: The nose is leading me away from the name of the beer. It's called hop harvest, but I'm not getting much hop in the nose. It's mostly pale malt in the nose, with a little bit of earthiness from the hops.

Taste: The palate picks up more hops than the nose did, but I still think their holding back. The palate is mostly pale malt all the way through until the aftertaste comes in which some hop flavors come through. Until the aftertaste the hops seem to mostly be a bittering component. The aftertaste reveals some citrus and earthy notes including pine, grass, and just a dash of grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: The beer sits right at a medium body, with a crisp carbonation. I would have knocked down the carbonation just a tad myself, I think it would have made it a little more enjoyable to drink.

Drinkability: For an occasional offering it's rather forgettable. It's an easy to drink beer, and good as far as APA's are concerned, but I would have liked a higher hopped version of this using even more lovely Wisconsin hops.

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%

22 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A - A fairly strong pour brings up a thin white head that fades to a ring around the glass within a minute or two. The color is golden and clear in transparency. A decent amount of carbonation is present, racing up to the top. Overall though I am a bit disappointed by the poor head retention.

S - Lots of hops, and earthy notes present in this brew. There is some underlying citrus notes along with some faint malts as well.

T - Strong in the hops, no doubt about it. Even more than I was expecting after a few whiffs. A bitter, grainy alcohol taste also presents itself, making this beer not as pleasant as I would have hoped. Malts, caramel and earthy notes are present as well.

M - Medium bodied with more than enough carbonation. Lots of hops and citrus notes right off the bat accompanied by an alcohol flavor and carbonation. As the beer finishes there is a dry bitterness left behind from the malts and earthy notes.

D - This beer is certainly worth a try if your a fan of Central Waters like I am. However, for the price and the fact that this was supposed to be a special release, I am a bit disappointed. Worth a try, but not something I will be getting again. I couldn't imagine having more than one of these in an evening anyway.

3.31/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from 22oz to snifter.

Appearance - Deep orange, poured with a 1 finger white foamy head. Head recedes rather quickly and leaves a slight lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell - Just a bit of alcohol and hops, not much. Maybe a hint of hops and grass. After a ton of sniffing a little bit of sweet malts.

Taste - Very grassy alcoholic taste to it. A bit of sweet malts on the end but most of the taste comes from very grassy and a little bit of citrusy hops. The sweet malt dominates on the end.

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated, almost too much so. Seems a bit too heavy for it's style. Good but not matching up with an APA.

Drinkability - A bomber is plenty enough for me, not much more of this beer, I would not reach for another bomber if I had one

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from bomber into Duvel tulip. Two separate pours, one out of fridge and one after sitting out for about a half hour. No real difference between the two in my eyes and palette.

A: Dark orange with a small white halo of head. Decent amount of particles in the pour. Not offputting, but nothing extraordinary here either.

S: For a wet hop, where are the hops? Trying really hard to find it, but I'm smelling a lot of earth and malt. No citrus, no pine. Disappointing based on expectations.

T: Same as smell. This may be a solid pale ale, but I'm picking up really nothing from the hops. I really had hoped for more, but it's certainly not a bad beer by any means.

M: May be the most solid part of the beer. Very easy drinking and palatable. If this wasn't in bomber form, I could see putting a number of these back without thinking twice about it.

O: I need to stop going into new beers with high expectations. No other way of putting it...I'm let down with this one.

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams pint glass

A - pale amber, half inch of white head dissipates quickly, leaves some decent lacing

S - citrus and mango are predominant, a slight whiff of caramel and spearmint

T - clean, very clean, lemon zest along with more tropical flavors (mangoish), a bit of toasty malt, green apple and piney bitterness on the back end, caramel is more intense as it warms and apricot shows up too, really fun to keep sipping at

M - moderate carbonation, fairly light bodied, a little bit resinous in the finish

O - I like it, very drinkable and well balanced but I get the impression that CW is just trying to show off how restrained it can be using wet hops. I really wasn't expecting the subtlety of the flavors here, it takes a lot of mulling over. I'm sure it will leave a lot of hopheads disappointed and the nose was too subdued for me but still a great beer.

4.14/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am resubmitting this review as I think my original review was deleted. The bummer here is I am trying to do this from memory rather than doing it on the spot as the original was.

A: Very nice appearance. Pours with a solid 2cm head that sticks around. Nice deep orange color with good carbonation.

S: This was surprising, but to my nose, I really didn't take smell as one of the big features of this beer. It wasn't bad, it just didn't catch me and assert itself

T: This beer tasted great. It had all the hops you would expect from a wet hop beer (being the main feature) but also had a smokiness or savoriness that I can't pinpoint. I loved it. I have some saved and I am hoping it may age well and provide a touch of sweet for that perfect 5.0 rating. I know most pale ales don't store, but this provided quite the buzz so I am thinking the alcohol and hops may make this age ok... I'll see.

M: Great mouth feel. Clean and the carbonation really made the good flavors sparkle.

D: I could drink this over and over again. A great beer.

2.62/5  rDev -25.8%

Bland ale. Enticing color, fairly crisp finish, but the flavor is just not there. Not bad, but not at all recommended.

Caveat: One of the recent reviewers mentioned a two-finger head. My bottle might be stale (despite my purchasing it within 120 mi of the brewery) because my pour had virtually no head whatsoever.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Hop Harvest from Central Waters Brewing Co.