Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Exodus | Central Waters Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

ExodusExodus

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: Flanders Red Ale

A sour red ale aged with cherries in bourbon barrels.

Added by mothman on 08-17-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 45 | Ratings: 203
3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a pinkish-red color with minimal amounts of bubbles. The nose is funky and oaky, mildy sour and vinegar cherries. The beer has a punch of vinegar tartness, while managing to be pretty mild and drinkable. The cherries are more tart than they come off as a big cherry flavor. The funk is toned down for sure, and the beer doesn't have a ton of complexity. That said, what it does, it does nicely. Very drinkable, but a bit under-carbonated. This is definitely a solid attempt. Would love to try an aged one down the road. Nice work CW!

3.47/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice flanders red from Central Waters. Has a good sour cherry aroma. The taste is a good balance of sour tartness and cherry. A well balanced brew that is like the little brother of the Dissident from Deschutes. I think the recipe could be beefed up a bit with more malt and cherries. The bourbon isn't really there at all, which could also be improved.

3.67/5  rDev -7.6%

Srange-brown in appearance, seemingly skipping over red. Virtually uncarbonated - why the caged cork?

Aroma has faint whiff of cherries. Taste is dominated by lactic acidity that could peel paint. There are hints of sweetness that fade into the dry acidity. I'm not sure that I find the oak; hidden by lactic?

Mouthfeel is thin, which feels more or less appropriate for this beer.

This beer is not dissimilar to my recollections of Rodenbach, which is to say it is overly dominated by sourness for my tastes. On the whole, I think I am biased towards Flanders browns.

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

750 corked bottle.

It pours a nice rosy pink color with just a slight bubbly head. I love the color though.

The smell is god. Lots of funk here and lots of oak notes. It doesn't have that sourness in the smell though. The cherries are there, they have that distinct processed scent that only comes form the way the process door county cherries, there is something about that scent that always puts door county beers above others. I think it has something to do with the cherries and their skins.

The flavor follows though it isn't as funky or oaky. A bit more sourness creeps in but it is still decently mild. There isn't a huge vinegar kick but there is a nice bit of tartness from the cherries themselves.

I think this one could be aged, and I wish I had more than 1 bottle.

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Pours a ruby-rust color with almost no head at all.  A small off-white ring forms around the edges, but it's modest at best and doesn't completely connect.  No lacing at all, but moderate legs.

S: A really nice lactic tartness up front with ample cherries.  A hint of oak lingers in the background, but melds really well.

T: Lactic tartness is, again, up front with some vinegar.  Cherries are not very prominent, but tease the taste buds on occasion.  A bit of musty oak with no hint of booze.

M: Medium bodied with very little carbonation at all.  Starts out tart and then becomes a little sweet toward the finish.  Still, a nice drying effect on the back end.

D: Very drinkable and very tasty.  A really nice treat to try.

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Standard body, decent lacing.

Strong sweetnees in aroma. So so good in cherry. Very sweet. Vanilla ice cream.

Tart cherries, lactic bite, small oak woody flavor. Finishes raspberries, strawberries.

Light carb, sticky flavors, woody nature. Simple.

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Only wisps of white heads swirl slowly at the surface. In the champagne flue the yellowish orange body displays no visible rising carbonation.

S - Slightly sour aroma accompanied by a hints of cherry, pear and banana.

T - I like that there's no major fruit flavor in this beer. While cherries had been added at one point or another, the beer maintains its 'sour beer' character without becoming a sour cherry beer.

M - Exceptionally dry finish with a wet coating that seems to come back and encompass my tougue following each pull.

~ In and of itself this is a good sour. Tonight, I didn't match it up against any other brews of the same beer style. Mainly because Flanders Red Ale is a difficult style to obtain in Central Wisconsin but also because I want to get an idea of how it stacks up against itself.

I had heard some good things and I had heard some bad things about this beer before I tried it tonight. I have to say I will be saying good things about it to my friends.

I was lucky enough to get a hold of 2 bottles. This one is obviously not going to make to see tomorrow. The other I have cellared and will let it age gracefully for a year or two before letting it loose.

4.04/5  rDev +1.8%

A-Pours clear amber without much head. The color to me is spot on.
S-Aromas of lactic acid/vinegar along with a slightly funky, horse blanket aroma. A distinctly sweet aroma as well.
T-Fairly sweet with about the right amount of sour/acidic flavor. There is a good amount of brett funk.
M-A little on the sweet side overall. Fairly light bodied, very little carbonation.
Overall, a very good sour ale. It could use some aging to bring out more of the brett funk and decrease the sweetness just a little bit and to increase the carbonation but I really do think the flavor is quite good.

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

Huge thanks to the Paul for dropping off a pre-release bottle for us to tick.

A: Decent pop on the cork. Good sign. Poured into my tulip the beer is dark pink red with a good amount of turbidity. Small amount of beige head attempts to form but simply never gains a foot hold.

S: The initial whiff is heavy on the sour lactic laced cherry. Vinegar and wet barrel wood are major players in the nose as well. Just a touch of leather. Reminds a lot of Supplication.

T: The flavors fall a bit short for me. The sourness is well represented but as far as the depth goes it's muted. Some mild cherry and oakiness is present but that's really all I can pick out. Vinegar and lactic sour sting my tongue and cheeks with each swish.

M: Rather low on carbonation. No surprise since Paul warned us it needed time in the bottle. Like a couple of kids on Christmas we couldn't wait.

O: A great try out of the gate for CW's sour program. I'm looking forward to revisiting this one in a few months after it's had a chance to bottle condition. If this is a clue as to what's coming from CW in the future, I'm certainly glad I'm gonna be along for the ride.

EDIT: Bottle 7-3-12. Developing nicely. Much more sour and carbonated.

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

750 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a Central Waters tulip
Serving temp 45°-50° F, Ale aged in oak barrels with cherries added. Pairings listed on the back!

A - Low carbonation leaves little loose bubbles of off-white pinkish foam. Pinkish dirty hazed apricot in color. Vanishing foam is no surprise with all the bugs in this one.

S - Low notes of vinegar and bacteria fall behind the robust aroma of smooth oak barrels and bacteria soaked cherry accents. Complex bacteria is underlying, not bold, but works very well. More sour power emerges with a good swirl.

T - Sour cherries and wet wood flourish with barnyard notes of dry straw and funk. The flavor is actually pretty "thin" (not one dimensional, rather just light) but works well in this brew.

M - Nice light carbonation compliments the medium-light body and finishes out with a lightly dry, very sour finish.

O - A few tweaks and this could be an absolutely amazing brew. The sour finish does a great job of tying all the oak and cherries together with the bacteria-filled brew but I'd love to see a little rise in the flavor profile. The bugs are there and offer low underlying complexity, but almost no real malt profile comes though in this one. Regardless, this is damn close to Supplication. Great job guys! I can't wait to age some bottles and experience it's development.

3.99/5  rDev +0.5%

Tasted at the Central Water 13th Anniversary Party.

I was quite excited about this mythical sour being brewed in a "Green" brewery in the middle-of-nowhere Wisconsin.

Unfortunately it seemed like Anello was having some tapping issues and it took us a solid 25 minute wait for a single cup filled only 1/4 of the way and then split between the 7 of us in our party. It was worth the wait for the experience, but my tongue was pretty-well spent on sweet malty-goodness (of the entire CW portfolio) by the time of the Exodus. If it had been up to me I would have put Exodus after The Cherry Bourbon Stout so that our tongues could have transitioned easier into the sour via the tart Door County cherries.

That being said, I got loads of sour goodness, mostly of fruit & wine-vinegars with an explosive taste-bud tickling carbonation. I look forward to sober re-review as soon as I can get my hands on some more of that stuff.

A: knocked down a few points for the lack of pour
&
D: a few points low based on the minimal intake received.

3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

I had the pleasure of trying this at the Central Water's 13th Anniversary Party on tap.

This beer poured a dark amber/reddish color. It had a very thick off white head that was about 3 fingers tall and lingered for a long time. The smell was very much bourbon, cherries, and a little bit of funk. Taste was surprisingly smooth. Up front was a lot like the smell. A lot of cherries, dark fruit, oak and bourbon. The finish was much lighter and crisp with a lighter fruit (apple, pear) flavor. Mouthfeel was really not what I expected. It was highly carbonated, which was probably why the head was so high, but very light and easily drinkable. I would love to try this again and I would love to see them bottle this one. If you ever get the chance to try it I would highly recommend it.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

Had this at the 2010 Great Taste and loved it. This version was tapped at the 2011 Central Waters Anniversary party. I found it to be less sour overall than at the GTOTM, and actually it is even better than before.

It pours a ruby/brown with a huge head. Aroma is oaky with some sour cherry and pear sweetness.

The flavor is nicely tart with oak and sour cherry performing a balancing act.

The body is medium and carbonation is low. Overall this beer is fantastic and will really surprise people as a superior first sour offering from Central Waters. If you are a fan of oud bruins, this one should be on your radar.

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Draft at the Great Taste. Pours a rust mahagony color with a nicely formed white tan head. The nose is way more sour and tart fruit notes than I expected. CW really have outdone themselves on this one and was a bit surprising to say the least. Some malty type flavors up front followed by the full force hit of the cherries that impart both a sweet and sour/tart taste to the beer. Light mouthfeel. Overall, a fairly good sour that ranks pretty well but still needs a little time to fully develop.

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Great Taste 2010

Pours a light tan head. Color is an brown hued orange.

Aroma: It has an odd malt/toffee flavor to it. After that it does have a nice sour cherry flavor with some funk. Bourbon isn't too apparent.

Taste: Again, the taste starts out with more of a malty and toffee flavor before the sour notes hit. The cherries are very fresh. More bourbon showed here than in the nose.

Mouthfeel: tart, crisp, and clean. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Probably the best part of the beer.

Overall, a decent sour, but it needs work. Rumors are they might bottle this, which would be pretty cool. Fairly drinkable.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Exodus from Central Waters Brewing Co.