Vanilla Porter - Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)

Vanilla PorterVanilla Porter

to view more.
Ratings: 81 | Reviews: 31
Reviews by pandashaver:
4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Pours a opaque dark brown/black with tan/off-white head. Head was not large (may be due to very cold serving temp), but however faded quickly which was a little disappointing but still left some lacing.

S - Vanilla scent atop the roasted malt. Very enticing.

T - Lots of vanilla comes through, along with the classic roasty and bitter porter taste. It's also a bit watery, but this lends to some added drinkability which is a nice change.

M - Very thin and watery initially, but some syrupy thickening afterward. Nice bitter, but not too bitter aftertaste with vanilla leaves me wanting more.

D - Very easy to drink, with or without a meal of any size. Definitely a plus in a flavorful local porter.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Presentation: It was poured from tap and served in a pint glass at the Rohrbach brewpub.

Appearance: The body has a dark brown, almost black color with a small one finger tan head. The head hangs on well and makes some lacing on the glass as I drink.

Smell: In the nose I pick up a nice roasty, toasty character with a pleasant whiff of vanilla.

Taste/Palate: On the tongue I pick up the roasted sweetness and toasted semi-bitterness from the malt. There are hints of toasted bread, dark chocolate and coffee with a nice level of sweet vanilla creaminess running through the center. The hops are not much of a noticeable factor but do held with balancing the malt sweetness. The palate is smooth but well carbonated with a solid medium feel.

Notes: To me vanilla can be a dangerous thing in a beer. If it's not done right it can come of as tasting like Vanilla Coke. This beer is done right. It still has enough bitterness and body to remind you that you are drinking a beer. Well Done Rohrbach!!!

3.76/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

served on-tap into a standard pint glass at Rodney's bar and restaurant.

almost black, actually a dark ruby brown color with a very nice looking super creamy light tan head. some nice retention and nice thick lacing at first.

vanilla definatly leads the pack in the aroma, creamy vanilla, a touch artificial. just hints of light roast and cocoa noticable in the back.

again, a nice creamy vanilla at the front, just a little artificial tasting at times, but still tasty. milky chocolate and light roast. kind of an odd estery winey finish at times.

light to medium in body, over carbonated, and a bit too thin feeling. still a nice creamy feel.

overall, not a bad attempt, a little too weak and one dimensional, but id drink this again if offered, wouldnt pay for it again however.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

A beautifully well done porter . . . Vanilla up front, coffee in the end and all the roasty flavors you'd expect in between. A tad thin as far as feel is concerned for my liking but still solid none the less. And don't forget the aroma. With scents of vanilla and hints of maple syrup it's hard not to keep from constantly bringing the glass to your nose just before taking a good swallow. Really enjoyable offering here.

3.45/5  rDev -9.2%

OK, this is a porter, unlike their regular porter which is a stout. Vanilla extract thrown in a good dose. Just too vanilla aroma and taste. It kept the palate a bit more active but still on thin side. Well carbonated and sugar in the vanilla extract.

2.92/5  rDev -23.2%

On tap @ the Rohrbach Brewing Company (Rochester, NY) on 6/10/11. Served in a pint glass.

Pours black, topped with a ½ finger of mocha colored head. This retains with a thin creaminess and some rich edges, leaving back foamy swathes of lace down the sides of the glass. The aroma smells of chocolate, roasted coffee, citric hops, and some creamy vanilla flavor. Unfortunately, the aroma is also quite buttery, interfering with what was shaping up to be a decent nose on this.

The taste is chocolate, some sweeter caramel, roasted coffee character, and some green feeling hops for bitterness. A flush of vanilla comes out along the back, lingering in the finish a bit before hops and roast leave things dry and bitter. Butter is present here as well but isn’t quite as noticeable as the nose, as the strength of the flavors are able to mostly mask it. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a firm feel to the carbonation and an all around smooth feel for 6%. No complaints here.

I found this to actually be a fairly well done take on a Vanilla Porter (I thought that the vanilla extract flavor was going to come on too strong but it never did) but that buttery diacetyl off-flavor here really dropped this a notch. It’s a shame to, as other than that, this was shaping up to be a decent glass of beer.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours from the growler with a medium tan head and lacing that fades quickly. Starts with a nice vanilla aroma, and very subtle vanilla taste. Vanilla fades away quickly as classic porter taste takes over. After a while, chocolate taste is revealed as beer warms. Hints of coffee behind the chocolate malt sweetness. A solid drinkable porter.

Appearance: very dark almost black. Dark tan head a little less than a finger width which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Strong vanilla and chocolate with hints of coffee.

Taste: Vanilla with some of the roast malt on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, but the carbonation is very crisp.

Drinkability: Overall, I liked the beer. The vanilla is a little strong, but it makes for a very tasty drink.

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

Served on tap at the Brew Fest on 1/14/12 at Lovin' Cup.

A-Dark brown, some head that hangs out for a bit

S-Good standard porter, roast, malt with some sweetness and nuttiness

T-not much bitterness, ALOT of vanilla, sugary sweet, too much for me, almost a root-beer, sasparilla kind of thing going on here, or maybe more cream soda now that I think of it.

M-kind of thin and watery

O-this was ok, not exactly my cup of tea (er beer), but I have been on a big RIS kick lately and this is way in the other direction from those ..

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Growler brought over by Matt on Saturday.

Pours a deep, dark inky black, with a 3/4 inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells quite vanilla-y, with a bit of chocolate, but not enough roasted malt for my senses.

This is quite understandably vanilla forward, creamy and rich tasting, with a little bit of dark chocolate, and not really any roasted malt. If there was that roasty flavor to complement the sweet flavors, this would be much better.

This one has a very creamy mouthfeel, and a lower amount of carbonation. It's medium bodied, and pretty drinkable.

This is probably Rohrbach's best beer, they've never been my favorite brewery, but this one is a Rochester classic.

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured out of a growler into a shaker glass.

A- awesome root beer color: dark mohogany with a nice quarter inch lace. Lace falls down quickly. Looks like it has low carbonation.

S- sweet roast with a hint of vanilla. No hop nose distinguishable.

T- sweetish, buttery, roasted coffee. Touch of vanilla. Not as hoppy as some porters are. Somewhat astringent but not annoyingly so. Finishes quite dry.

M- thin and with low carbonation.

O- My first Rohrbach sampling and I enjoyed the hell out of it. To me, this beer cries out drinkability. Its not a hoppy porter. It's a session porter with enough roastiness and hop dryness to fit the bill. Overall, it is a very drinkable and refreshing beer with just enough qualities to hit the spot when a porter is what I am looking for.

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%

This porter has the deep dark brown color typical of all porters. It's mouth feel is thick and creamy. Overall this is a good tasting porter but the vanilla flavor is too overwhelming for my taste. I would prefer the vanilla flavor to be tad more subtle.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Nice black color. Not too heavy, classic porter feel.

S - The Vanilla tones come righ out from the pour. Good stuff right there.

T- The porter comes over the vanilla, but the vanilla leaves the aftertaste.

M - feels good in the mouth. I liked the light taste of the porter

D - It's a great beer to taste of have with a meal in the winter. Not an all night beer, but good for a growler.

*On a personal note, this was the first beer that I got in my growler (a limited Rochester Red Wings Rohrbach growler). She's a great friend of mine and this porter is greatly missed by her.

3.96/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours near balck with a creamy mocha head- the perfect size and lacing as it starts to die down. Can't really ask for much more.

Moderate aroma of vanilla and milk chocolate. Like some sort of ice cream sundae.

Taste is very dry up front but vanilla dominates for most of the rest of the flavor. Slightly papery, followed by a short burst of chocolate malt. Keeps the dry, roasted aspect of a good porter down without diving into stout territory. Seems like they've toned the vanilla down a bit too from previous batches.

I think this porter and vanilla were made for each other. Especially with a growler of this sitting next to me, every sip I take makes me want more.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Dark as night with a beautiful tan head.

S- I have a very hard time smelling anything unfortunately.

T- This beer starts out very bitter to me. With the first sip I get a lot roasted dark chocolate and vanilla flavor. The vanilla pretty much overpowers. But then it finishes with a creamy vanilla smoothness that I liken to french vanilla ice cream.

M/D- Great, heavy, creamy feel in the mouth, good beer to enjoy with food and to sip slowly.

Have had this in growlers from Beers of the World, and on tap at the Railroad St. location. I truly enjoy this beer either way.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

This is my first review and I'm not really into the fancy write ups.

Picked this up in a Grolwer from Wegman's. Pour it into a pint glass. Very dark and black, little tan head (might be my crappy pour) that went down to lacing.

Smell is all vanilla to me. As others have said, it is lighter in the mouth than I'd expect from a porter. Roasted taste with a bitter finish, with hints of vanilla. I'm a bit surprised it isn't more vanilla-y. Nice carbonation.

I like it, maybe I tried it a bit too cold. Would give it another try.

4.18/5  rDev +10%

A pour from our growler gives us a dark brown brew with a quickly departing one finger high tan head. It is near complete opacity, but some light does shine through towards the bottom of the glass. Little lacing appears throughout the session. As the name suggests, the aroma houses light roasted malts and sweet vanilla. There are also faint notes of coffee beans and hops. The taste takes off with a bitter front, reminiscent of black coffee. This folds to a middle that is highlighted by phenols, malts, and the start to a strong vanilla flavoring. The latter brings us into the aftertaste which is sweet, leaving the mouth cooled. The mouthfeel is otherwise moderately creamy and carbonated. Drinkability remains high, and the medium body and sweeter characteristics keep you going back for more.

Overall, our favorite thing about this brew is the smooth taste. Even through to the aftertaste, the flavors carry the beer, making you want to continually replenish the sip that just departed with another fresh one.

After a hearty dinner at the Rochester Dinosaur BBQ, I was in the mood for desert.

Served in a standard shaker pint, the beer is black with brown highlights

Nose of brown sugar vanilla and roasted grains. It is inviting and not artificial smelling.

Taste tracks the smell. Sweet with vanilla notes, roasted malts, a bit of brown sugar and a hint of smoke.

The mouth is an enjoyable and smooth. Easy drinker, I had 2 after dinner. My 2nd good beer from this brewer and I must say, Well Done!

3.57/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 1 pint can.

A: [3.75] Pours jet black. There is a full 2 finger head. The head is dense and off white. There is some decent lacing on the glass. The can has no listed ABV. There is a date code that I cannot discern.

S: [3.50] I get charred wood and Smoked meat scents.

T: [3.75] The taste is not the same as the nose. It leads with a nice charred wood flavor from the roasted malts. There is a slight bitter elevation in the middle and the finish is a nice vanilla flavor.

M: [3.00] This is fairly watery. The vanilla, on the finish, is long and that helps with the overall mouthfeel.

O: [3.50] I wish this listed an ABV (my geuss is 5.5%) and a date that would improve the Appearance score. The nose is decent and the flavor is actually quite nice. I would drink this again, especially since it is a local brew.

4.16/5  rDev +9.5%

I've discussed the vanilla porter with the guys at Rohrbachs and it has become clear that there was a bad batch that circulated Rochester at somepoint over the winter.

My first experience was a growler purchase from Beers of the World. The vanilla flavor was so harsh I could not finish even one beer. I thought at that point I was doomed.

Later I ventured into Rohrbachs to sample it from the source. I figured I could also discuss the hellish growler I had. Well, much to my surprise when they first poured me the pint I swore up and down it was the wrong beer.

The vanilla porter I had at Rohrbachs (and had, and had, and had) was absolutely fantastic. The vanilla flavor is very subtle. The smell from the pint indicated a faint vanilla flavor as well.

The head was beautiful and thick and stuck around for quite some time as I drained pint after pint.

The appearance was nothing special, in reality once you get that dark you aren't going to get much difference. I gave it a lower score on drinkability because after awhile the vanilla flavor does creep up on you. Three pints in a night would be pushing it. After the third pint I swore I had had enough vanilla to last a lifetime, but a few days later I went back for more.

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Had to wait a bit while they changed kegs, so this was the first glass from the new one. 2 fingered head that dissipated rather slowly. The color was a deep ruby brown. Lacing was light on the glass.

S: Vanilla and roasted malts. There is no denying that this is a vanilla flavored beer. Almost too much vanilla!

T: Overwhelming vanilla. This is a dessert beer, without a doubt. The caramel and chocolate malts were also there. After swallowing, you get a similar taste in your mouth after you eat vanilla ice cream. Not bad, but not completely balanced. Was this real vanilla bean they used? Makes me wonder...

M: Great mouthfeel, overall. It was very smooth and sat in my mouth well.

D: As much as this was a dessert beer, vanilla is one of my favorite flavors. I would most likely have this again.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Had this on tap recently at Rohrbachs and reviewing from notes. This year's batch is IMO far superior to last year's. Poured very dark brown, nearly black with ruby hues in the light. Tan head retained well and laced down the pint glass. Rich malty sweetness, cream, and a touch of vanilla. Taste follows suit. Incredibly smooth and mildly carbonated. Silky and highly sessionable.

I think it's better than last year's because the vanilla is far more subtle this time. It allows the roasted malt flavors to round it out a bit. Another well done brew by Rohrbachs.

3.26/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance: Dark, dark ruby/black color with a thin cap of tan head that fades quickly to a ring.

Aroma: Roasted malt with some coffee notes and a hint of chocolate.

Taste: Fairly thin and mild off the start, with some sweetness and roasted flavors. The roasted notes grow as it goes with increasing spicy bitterness. A little chalky on the finish, then the vanilla really shows up and lingers on the finish.

The Rest: A solid, pretty standard porter with a hefty kick of vanilla on the finish.

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Had this on tap at Chili's. Came to me with a quickly dissolving tan head. Body was super dark. Aroma was sweet and malty. This tastes like a chocolate milkshake with a nice hint of vanilla. Hints of chocolate/vanilla swirl cake. This is so dessert like that it barely tastes like a beer. There is some roasted malt flavor but the vanilla really dominates. Feel is smooth, but moderate to light. There is a coke like carbonation. This is easy to drink a lot of despite its darkness.

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%

Poors a very dark brown/black, thin mocha head that turns to film with most bubbles around the rim of the glass
Smell is faint coffee, vanilla, maple syrup
taste is of coffee, heavily of vanilla, with a hint of maple in the finish
mouthfeel is medium but is very clean and crisp in the mouth perfect carbonation
so very drinkable, lovely porter may just have to drink the whole 1/2 gallon growler

to view more.
Vanilla Porter from Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)