Vanilla Porter - Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)

Vanilla PorterVanilla Porter

Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub) visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Sammy on 08-31-2005)

spark3148857, Feb 13, 2012

JayMillerWild, Feb 19, 2012

BrunoH, Jun 09, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Had this on tap recently at Rohrbachs and reviewing from notes. This year's batch is IMO far superior to last year's. Poured very dark brown, nearly black with ruby hues in the light. Tan head retained well and laced down the pint glass. Rich malty sweetness, cream, and a touch of vanilla. Taste follows suit. Incredibly smooth and mildly carbonated. Silky and highly sessionable.

I think it's better than last year's because the vanilla is far more subtle this time. It allows the roasted malt flavors to round it out a bit. Another well done brew by Rohrbachs.

DmanGTR, Dec 24, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Presentation: It was poured from tap and served in a pint glass at the Rohrbach brewpub.

Appearance: The body has a dark brown, almost black color with a small one finger tan head. The head hangs on well and makes some lacing on the glass as I drink.

Smell: In the nose I pick up a nice roasty, toasty character with a pleasant whiff of vanilla.

Taste/Palate: On the tongue I pick up the roasted sweetness and toasted semi-bitterness from the malt. There are hints of toasted bread, dark chocolate and coffee with a nice level of sweet vanilla creaminess running through the center. The hops are not much of a noticeable factor but do held with balancing the malt sweetness. The palate is smooth but well carbonated with a solid medium feel.

Notes: To me vanilla can be a dangerous thing in a beer. If it's not done right it can come of as tasting like Vanilla Coke. This beer is done right. It still has enough bitterness and body to remind you that you are drinking a beer. Well Done Rohrbach!!!

generallee, Jan 28, 2011

irthesteve, Jun 18, 2014

LutherBrau, Sep 02, 2014

FrankSchramm, Mar 19, 2013

sketchyhoodie, Feb 10, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

A pour from our growler gives us a dark brown brew with a quickly departing one finger high tan head. It is near complete opacity, but some light does shine through towards the bottom of the glass. Little lacing appears throughout the session. As the name suggests, the aroma houses light roasted malts and sweet vanilla. There are also faint notes of coffee beans and hops. The taste takes off with a bitter front, reminiscent of black coffee. This folds to a middle that is highlighted by phenols, malts, and the start to a strong vanilla flavoring. The latter brings us into the aftertaste which is sweet, leaving the mouth cooled. The mouthfeel is otherwise moderately creamy and carbonated. Drinkability remains high, and the medium body and sweeter characteristics keep you going back for more.

Overall, our favorite thing about this brew is the smooth taste. Even through to the aftertaste, the flavors carry the beer, making you want to continually replenish the sip that just departed with another fresh one.

TheBrewo, Dec 01, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Rohrbach Vanilla Porter is a cola colored ale with a small beige head that leaves nice lacing on the glass. It has a dark roast coffee aroma with a note of chocolate. It is thick and creamy, pretty full bodied and smooth with a clean finish. The flavor has notes of vanilla creme, strawberry and chocolate. It's fruity, slightly sweet, milky and roasty. It's full flavored with a pretty clean finish. The flavor of roasted coffee lingers.
(rated Nov 28, 2008)

yesyouam, Dec 20, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

I've discussed the vanilla porter with the guys at Rohrbachs and it has become clear that there was a bad batch that circulated Rochester at somepoint over the winter.

My first experience was a growler purchase from Beers of the World. The vanilla flavor was so harsh I could not finish even one beer. I thought at that point I was doomed.

Later I ventured into Rohrbachs to sample it from the source. I figured I could also discuss the hellish growler I had. Well, much to my surprise when they first poured me the pint I swore up and down it was the wrong beer.

The vanilla porter I had at Rohrbachs (and had, and had, and had) was absolutely fantastic. The vanilla flavor is very subtle. The smell from the pint indicated a faint vanilla flavor as well.

The head was beautiful and thick and stuck around for quite some time as I drained pint after pint.

The appearance was nothing special, in reality once you get that dark you aren't going to get much difference. I gave it a lower score on drinkability because after awhile the vanilla flavor does creep up on you. Three pints in a night would be pushing it. After the third pint I swore I had had enough vanilla to last a lifetime, but a few days later I went back for more.

LTS, Jul 31, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Poors a very dark brown/black, thin mocha head that turns to film with most bubbles around the rim of the glass
Smell is faint coffee, vanilla, maple syrup
taste is of coffee, heavily of vanilla, with a hint of maple in the finish
mouthfeel is medium but is very clean and crisp in the mouth perfect carbonation
so very drinkable, lovely porter may just have to drink the whole 1/2 gallon growler

sliverX, Jan 15, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +7%

A - Nice black color. Not too heavy, classic porter feel.

S - The Vanilla tones come righ out from the pour. Good stuff right there.

T- The porter comes over the vanilla, but the vanilla leaves the aftertaste.

M - feels good in the mouth. I liked the light taste of the porter

D - It's a great beer to taste of have with a meal in the winter. Not an all night beer, but good for a growler.

*On a personal note, this was the first beer that I got in my growler (a limited Rochester Red Wings Rohrbach growler). She's a great friend of mine and this porter is greatly missed by her.

Black7Blue, Nov 14, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Dark as night with a beautiful tan head.

S- I have a very hard time smelling anything unfortunately.

T- This beer starts out very bitter to me. With the first sip I get a lot roasted dark chocolate and vanilla flavor. The vanilla pretty much overpowers. But then it finishes with a creamy vanilla smoothness that I liken to french vanilla ice cream.

M/D- Great, heavy, creamy feel in the mouth, good beer to enjoy with food and to sip slowly.

Have had this in growlers from Beers of the World, and on tap at the Railroad St. location. I truly enjoy this beer either way.

mrdalton, Jun 13, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Pours a opaque dark brown/black with tan/off-white head. Head was not large (may be due to very cold serving temp), but however faded quickly which was a little disappointing but still left some lacing.

S - Vanilla scent atop the roasted malt. Very enticing.

T - Lots of vanilla comes through, along with the classic roasty and bitter porter taste. It's also a bit watery, but this lends to some added drinkability which is a nice change.

M - Very thin and watery initially, but some syrupy thickening afterward. Nice bitter, but not too bitter aftertaste with vanilla leaves me wanting more.

D - Very easy to drink, with or without a meal of any size. Definitely a plus in a flavorful local porter.

pandashaver, Jan 13, 2009

mehereuthere, Feb 19, 2012

dailyminefield, Sep 05, 2014

ChrisL24481, Jan 02, 2014

Appearance: very dark almost black. Dark tan head a little less than a finger width which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Strong vanilla and chocolate with hints of coffee.

Taste: Vanilla with some of the roast malt on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, but the carbonation is very crisp.

Drinkability: Overall, I liked the beer. The vanilla is a little strong, but it makes for a very tasty drink.

jrnold, May 24, 2009

tclapper, Nov 17, 2011

Evarigan, Oct 31, 2013

After a hearty dinner at the Rochester Dinosaur BBQ, I was in the mood for desert.

Served in a standard shaker pint, the beer is black with brown highlights

Nose of brown sugar vanilla and roasted grains. It is inviting and not artificial smelling.

Taste tracks the smell. Sweet with vanilla notes, roasted malts, a bit of brown sugar and a hint of smoke.

The mouth is an enjoyable and smooth. Easy drinker, I had 2 after dinner. My 2nd good beer from this brewer and I must say, Well Done!

Redrover, Nov 20, 2008

PapiMagnum, Feb 13, 2013
Vanilla Porter from Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)