Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Vanilla Porter - Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)

Vanilla PorterVanilla Porter

Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub) visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Sammy on 08-31-2005

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.12/5  rDev +9%

A - Nice black color. Not too heavy, classic porter feel.

S - The Vanilla tones come righ out from the pour. Good stuff right there.

T- The porter comes over the vanilla, but the vanilla leaves the aftertaste.

M - feels good in the mouth. I liked the light taste of the porter

D - It's a great beer to taste of have with a meal in the winter. Not an all night beer, but good for a growler.

*On a personal note, this was the first beer that I got in my growler (a limited Rochester Red Wings Rohrbach growler). She's a great friend of mine and this porter is greatly missed by her. (586 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +10.1%

I've discussed the vanilla porter with the guys at Rohrbachs and it has become clear that there was a bad batch that circulated Rochester at somepoint over the winter.

My first experience was a growler purchase from Beers of the World. The vanilla flavor was so harsh I could not finish even one beer. I thought at that point I was doomed.

Later I ventured into Rohrbachs to sample it from the source. I figured I could also discuss the hellish growler I had. Well, much to my surprise when they first poured me the pint I swore up and down it was the wrong beer.

The vanilla porter I had at Rohrbachs (and had, and had, and had) was absolutely fantastic. The vanilla flavor is very subtle. The smell from the pint indicated a faint vanilla flavor as well.

The head was beautiful and thick and stuck around for quite some time as I drained pint after pint.

The appearance was nothing special, in reality once you get that dark you aren't going to get much difference. I gave it a lower score on drinkability because after awhile the vanilla flavor does creep up on you. Three pints in a night would be pushing it. After the third pint I swore I had had enough vanilla to last a lifetime, but a few days later I went back for more. (1,246 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -19%

This porter has the deep dark brown color typical of all porters. It's mouth feel is thick and creamy. Overall this is a good tasting porter but the vanilla flavor is too overwhelming for my taste. I would prefer the vanilla flavor to be tad more subtle. (254 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours from the growler with a medium tan head and lacing that fades quickly. Starts with a nice vanilla aroma, and very subtle vanilla taste. Vanilla fades away quickly as classic porter taste takes over. After a while, chocolate taste is revealed as beer warms. Hints of coffee behind the chocolate malt sweetness. A solid drinkable porter. (341 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%

OK, this is a porter, unlike their regular porter which is a stout. Vanilla extract thrown in a good dose. Just too vanilla aroma and taste. It kept the palate a bit more active but still on thin side. Well carbonated and sugar in the vanilla extract. (251 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Vanilla Porter from Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)