Mort Subite Gueuze - Brouwerij Mort Subite

Mort Subite GueuzeMort Subite Gueuze

Brouwerij Mort Subite visit their website

Gueuze |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mort Subite Gueuze Alström Bros
1.43/5  rDev -58.8%

This beer may smell good if you are into Champagne but it is not a good beer smell. Nice color with a this head. The bubbles feel kind of nice on the tongue, but thats the only thing positive I can say about this beer. I would rather drink canned coors light for a week than drink another one of these. This is the first (and LAST) Gueuze I have tried. I sat down on three separate occasions and tried the beer and thought it was horrid each time. I gave the rest to a friend (who likes gueuze) and she thought it was good. So I didn't get a bad batch. I just have no appreciation for this style.

No big deal there are plenty more beers to drink out there.

Hex92, Mar 10, 2004
1.5/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Best by: 10/2012
Brussels trip

A: Pours an orange golden ale with single finger light tan head which falls quickly to a quilt of the same. Central cylinder of carb rises centrally from the bottom. Cobweb lacing.

S: Hints of wild yeast in with a ton of sweetness. My initial thought is this is more like a Faro than a Gueuze. Sweet syrupy smells.

T: First thought - artificial orange concentrate. It's hard to get past, but then I find some copper kettle, burnt sugar. A bit of cheap sweet and sour sauce.

M: Thin body with low to moderate fine carbonation. Near dry finish.

O: This beer is far from what a Gueuze tastes like in my experience. This is super sweet and syrupy.

harrymel, Jun 20, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -46.7%

Bottle says "Mort Subite Gueuze Original" -- I hope this is the right one. Beer served in a wine glass. Carbonation low, thin white head, dark amber beer, clear...doesn't look like any gueuze I've ever seen.

Smells sweet like a faro, not sour.

Beer is sweet and mildly sour, it has a grainy finish to it and overall it is kind of gross. The finish is mildly dry. Overall I will never have this beer again and I would be likely to avoid this entire brewery because of this beer.

drabmuh, Apr 22, 2011

VierBier, Jun 22, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

Essence of lambic and made for the soda pop generation. One expects substandard stuff from this brewery and I was not let down.
If I must say something positive thier kriek is slightly better. Now I must go to the basement and get some Boon and or Cantillon and get this sugary taste out of my mouth.

hoser, Jul 08, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

GRUUMSH, Apr 06, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -33.7%

Colour on this beer is a tawny red, with a thin head made of large, weak bubbles. Sweet and sour smell. Cherries, malt and 'farm' smell. Not impressed with the taste. To me, it tasted like sour Mike Ike's. No other character. Mouthfeel was dry. Not drinkable. I like sour hard candy, but not in liquid form.

slitherySOB, May 11, 2006
2.39/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

An old bottle brought home from first trip to Belgium in 2010. I believe it is stamped with a BB date of July 2, 2012.

Poured into a chalice this gueuze is clear light amber, little head with nice lacing. Aromas of weak wild microbial funk, white wine ish with apple fruitiness. Taste is very mild, more like a juice than a sour funky gueuze. Easy drinking but not very exciting, low to medium carbonation, weak bodied. Overall a cheapy.

deebo, Mar 06, 2013
2.45/5  rDev -29.4%

A: clear, coppery and headless

S: apple juice and cider, suspiciously lacking funk.

T: flowery and fruity, a sickly sweet and slightly vinegar finish.

M: light and juicy.

O: juice with alcohol added, I think they're stretching the definition of the gueuze with this one, I think it might be more aptly classified as a wine cooler.

nickhiller, May 08, 2011

Saind, Jan 06, 2014

od_sf, Sep 15, 2013

tom10101, May 06, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

37.5 cl bottle...

Appearance: pale amber hue, sparkling clarity, lots of bubbles, a frothy thick layer of off-white foam, lace

Aroma: a bit fruity, some lactic tang, a touch of wood, very light on the barnyard stuff, diacetyl

Flavor: champagne-like vinous quality, some wheat, medium tartness, a bit corky, dryish finish with a lemony aftertaste, not very complex

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, bubbly, some alcohol warmth, leaves a slick feeling on the tongue

Overall Impression: More "authentic" than some other commercial geuzes, but not very complex. Basically tastes like cheap champagne with a little contamination. Could be a good intermediate geuze for the neophyte to get used to the truely "authentic" stuff.

The Mort Subite Geuze in Belgium is 7% abv, but I'm not sure if there is a difference between what you get in the US and what we have here. Could just be a mistake on this listing.

GreenCard, Jan 06, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A belgian beer, almost a speciality beer for me, i try this week this beer and i´m not impressed, the belgians are not my favorites, excpet P. Kwak, this are very fruity, i try this only like appetizer, but is good for cheeses and french bread, i prefer serve in a goblet, for appreciate its tones, i recommend 72% in my preferences.

tesguino, Dec 07, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -22.8%

I bought this back last week from a trip to Belgium, and noticed that some of the bottle contents were missing. I suspect some of it may have leaked out during my return flight, so I decided I'd better get on and consume it before it deteriorated too much. The cap was still on, by the way.

A 250ml bottle with a BB of Sept 2013. Picked up from a supermarket in Belgium. The label mentions maturation in oak barrels, but I already know that this is a sweetened commercial product.

Poured into a lambic tasting glass. A clear brownish-amber with low carbonation. Forms a small head of white foam that disappears rapidly. A sour aroma with hints of sweetness. Notes of lactic acid, oxidised cider, a whiff of sugar and a mild vinegary quality.

Tastes of mildly tart beer with a pervasive sugary sweetness. Notes of sugar, lactic acid, subtle vinegar and spoiled cider. Sweet and sour upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat astringent, but too light and a tad flat. Mild sour aftertaste with a hint of sugar.

Boo - ersatz gueuze. The real thing can be so much more. This is too sweet and too clean; filtered and adulterated with sugar. Where are the complex yeasty notes and the biting acidity? Where's the puckering mouthfeel and the depth of character? It's drinkable enough, and might serve as an introduction for someone who has never tried lambic before, but otherwise it's strictly for the kids. Give it a miss.

jazzyjeff13, May 15, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -22.8%

Sampled at Delilah's 2009 Lambic Tasting. 2003 vintage.
Review from notes.

A bare skim of foam across the top, with a tiny "string of pearls" clinging to one side. Sweetened iced tea, honey, clover and soggy graham cracker aroma. A sweet tartness on the tongue, more soggy graham/sugar cookie, medicinal with mild paper/cardboard around the edges. Dry in the finish, it does pull the cheeks inward slightly, but nothing approaching a sour pucker. Obviously sweetened. This was just plain dull, maybe worth a try for free, but I wouldn't buy it if I saw it.

emerge077, May 17, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a copper amber color with a huge billowy white head. Theres some nice Lambic funk and acidity on the nose, though also an ominous sweetness. This sweetness becomes dominant in the taste. This Gueuze is too sweet and not complex enough, almost no horseblanket and enteric notes. This beer is like a different style compared to authentic gueuzes like Girardin or Cantillon. The mouthfeel is spritzy and the finish is too sweet, this beer isnt even moderately dry like gueuze should be. This is a vapid, homogenized, domesticated version of probably the greatest, most interesting beer style there is (IMO).

It even lists asorbic acid and "antioxidant" (with the quotations) as ingredients. Thats weird. This beer is a like a cooler version of a gueuze. I can understand making sweetened versions of kriek, but also Gueuze? Why?

CAMRAhardliner, Jun 05, 2005

innominat, Jun 07, 2013

mattfancett, Aug 30, 2014

Sspeer1, Oct 12, 2013

Anacross, Jun 01, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -18.4%

bottle poured into a goblet.

deep gold with half an inch of frothy white head that leaves tons of lace. fairly clear with some rising bubbles.

aroma is too sweet. cidery, bright and sugary with just a hint of tart.

apple sweetness, with a hint of tartness near the finish. light, refreshing mouthfeel with a medium carbonation. has hints of some sour but it's washed away with a cidery sweetness.

Prufrock, May 15, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -17%

This brew poured a large head of fine to large sized white bubbles that left no lacing. Its body is that of a carbonated light orange/brown lager. It has a very strong fruity lambic aroma. The flavor is a dry, fruity, sour and acidic with a fizzy mouthfeel. An unimpressive average lambic at best.

TheDM, Jun 10, 2003
2.9/5  rDev -16.4%

I got this in Belgium for a friend of mine who hates beer, as an attempt to show him that they don't all taste the same. Unfortunately, I went shopping the day before I left to come home and this was the only gueuze I could dig up at the supermarket. He left it in his cellar for about 3 months and we opened it up last night when he got back from college.

Came in a 37.5cl bottle with cork, as is tradition. It poured into my snifter (we were trying to be classy about it) a light, orange-y gold with a pretty substantial head that left a creamy residue on everything it touched. Very bubbly in appearance. The smell was pretty potent in sweetness, with a very subtle malt background. This carried over into the taste, which was mostly slightly bready sugars. A nice lambic tartness was present, though it failed to balance out the sweetness. Hops were present but very subdued. The mouthfeel was sort of sticky and certainly lacking in substance- very weak and one-dimensional. The carbonation felt a little off; I'd say it probably needed a little more.

This has never been one of my favorite gueuzes, but can be pretty satisfying when cold and you're in the mood for a little something lighter. Overall this was just too sweet. I've heard rumors that mort subite adds extra sugar before refermentation, but I'm not sure if that's true. My friend and I both agreed that it was just alright, and I hope my present didn't do more harm than good!

BMoldy, Nov 24, 2010